Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Slysi17

Apologies for this being offensive but I am 32 and simply don't give a rats arse about the royal family which is why for me canceling football is absurd. It's a generation thing. My generation and below simply don't care about them. Our parents and grandparents do. Basically the world has changed. Monarchy should be scrapped now. But in no way am I delighted. I simply don't care sorry. Thing is the Queen lived till she was 96 and had a full life. It's not sad. I mean you have young people dying of cancer young which is actually sad.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Definitely think the games will go ahead next weekend... Been too much backlash against the FA for this weekends decision for it to be repeated next week.

Just realised I can't even watch the Leeds game though, or the game on Thursday, so that's highly annoying...

Slysi17

I disagree with almost all of this. Exam results may be better these days but that is because it is much easier to get top marks now - lots of coursework instead of exams (in my day coursework was barely a thing at all) and the difficulty of the exams was much harder than it is now. Also you have way more 'soft' subjects to choose from which are not as challenging as the core subjects kids had to do 30/40+ years ago.

People are much smarter now you say? Not in the slightest. People have access to much more information than we had even 20 years ago with the rise of the internet. I would argue that this has exposed people for being incredibly stupid as they can now choose to believe any old nonsense they read online without having to put any effort in to research or critique the information to actually understand it or judge it's accuracy.

This is why we get so many people offering opinions on things with paper thin understanding of what they are talking about and with such conviction because they are able to surround themselves with like minded people online. The world online at least feels infinitely more stupid than ever.
Would like to point out 30 to 40 years ago having a degree wasn't common. Now it is. To even get a decent job you need one now. I kind of disagree.

Wilt

I've already addressed that but I think you're struggling to seperate the internet from real life. Football fans observe minute silences impeccably very regularly. You can be a decent person and not like the monarchy.
Liverpool fans booed ‘God save the Queen’ at the Charity Sheild this year. Caused all kinds of shite for the FA.

Member 125398

Liverpool fans booed ‘God save the Queen’ at the Charity Sheild this year. Caused all kinds of shite for the FA.
Well that's their choice, one which they're entitled to make, we don't live in N. Korea. That's not a minutes silence though is it?

Wilt

Well that's their choice, one which they're entitled to make, we don't live in N. Korea. That's not a minutes silence though is it?
You must be living fairyland if you think the football idiot element wouldn’t boo/jeer during a minutes silence for the Queen.

Member 125398

You must be living fairyland if you think the football idiot element wouldn’t boo/jeer during a minutes silence for the Queen.
What makes you think they would? The overwhelming evidence suggests football fans observe silences impeccably. You're a football fan, would you boo?

Wilt

What makes you think they would? The overwhelming evidence suggests football fans observe silences impeccably. You're a football fan, would you boo?
Well of course I wouldn’t boo.

Surely you can’t deny there’s a horrible hooligan element that exists in today’s football? Fans throwing flares, bottles, coins and Christ knows what else. Of course the vast majority would be respectful, but it only takes a couple of idiots to ruin it.

And I strongly believe it’s a gamble the FA are not willing to take.

Member 125398

Well of course I wouldn’t boo.

Surely you can’t deny there’s a horrible hooligan element that exists in today’s football? Fans throwing flares, bottles, coins and Christ knows what else. Of course the vast majority would be respectful, but it only takes a couple of idiots to ruin it.

And I strongly believe it’s a gamble the FA are not willing to take.
It's a bit of a circular argument but nobody throws coins etc during a minutes silence. i find suggesting British working class are scum far more offensive than anything anyone could say about the Queen.

phelans shorts

Apologies for this being offensive but I am 32 and simply don't give a rats arse about the royal family which is why for me canceling football is absurd. It's a generation thing. My generation and below simply don't care about them. Our parents and grandparents do. Basically the world has changed. Monarchy should be scrapped now. But in no way am I delighted. I simply don't care sorry.
Does this not get to the crux of the issue, that a large portion of the complaining has been little more than people acting like spoilt brats because their toy (entertainment) has been taken away?

I’m massively anti monarchy, couldn’t care less about her, her cousin/husband, the nonce son, any of it. Just parasites on the state if you ask me, but surely you have to accept that they do exist and you don’t get to have your ball back just because you personally don’t care. Football will be back in no time at all, let those that do want to go off and mourn in whatever way do so. Plenty of people will tell you how annoyingly in your face football is for 80% of the year and growing, it’s one (potentially 2) weekends, while midweek games will still be happening!

Definitely think the games will go ahead next weekend... Been too much backlash against the FA for this weekends decision for it to be repeated next week.

Just realised I can't even watch the Leeds game though, or the game on Thursday, so that's highly annoying...
Has there actually been any backlash? I’ve not seen any at all away from on here, and I don’t think anyone with any sway will give a feck.

I think most will go ahead next weekend. With the exception of category A games like ours.

Wilt

People behave differently online than they do in person though for a number of varying reasons.
Do they though? …granted people on line may say things they don’t really believe but there’s also a genuine moronic element that are so easy to spot …. the QE2 thread being a prime example, amongst others.

I also follow cricket and to a lesser degree rugby and the difference in fan behaviour is quite remarkable.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would like to point out 30 to 40 years ago having a degree wasn't common. Now it is. To even get a decent job you need one now. I kind of disagree.
You are talking about access to higher education which I agree has greatly increased however I was responding to a poster saying people are 'smarter' now than they used to be and that is a different question.

TheReligion

Abusive
Does this not get to the crux of the issue, that a large portion of the complaining has been little more than people acting like spoilt brats because their toy (entertainment) has been taken away?

I’m massively anti monarchy, couldn’t care less about her, her cousin/husband, the nonce son, any of it. Just parasites on the state if you ask me, but surely you have to accept that they do exist and you don’t get to have your ball back just because you personally don’t care. Football will be back in no time at all, let those that do want to go off and mourn in whatever way do so. Plenty of people will tell you how annoyingly in your face football is for 80% of the year and growing, it’s one (potentially 2) weekends, while midweek games will still be happening!

Has there actually been any backlash? I’ve not seen any at all away from on here, and I don’t think anyone with any sway will give a feck.

I think most will go ahead next weekend. With the exception of category A games like ours.
I have to say I’ve found it quite odd as to the sheer extent of the moaning and commotion still going on in this thread about the football being postponed.

I can understand those who were travelling and are now out of pocket being aggrieved but as for everyone else it’s an inconvenience and in the grander scheme of life in general a pretty insignificant one at that.

Have a little rant, change your fantasy football team and move the feck on. It is what it is.

diarm

I hadn't given too much thought to any of this - just assumed it was one of those weird little idiosyncrasies you get in some countries, like in Thailand where you have to stand for the Kings anthem at the cinema or not eating in public during Ramadan in Middle Eastern countries. The Premier League is in England and they're mourning their monarch so sport is off for the week. Grand - fair play to them.

Imagine my surprise then, to turn on my telly this evening to discover that the most English of all sports, Cricket, has been going ahead as normal!

What's the deal there?

Slysi17

You are talking about access to higher education which I agree has greatly increased however I was responding to a poster saying people are 'smarter' now than they used to be and that is a different question.
I mean yeah I accept our generation had calculators and computers. But I am doing a 2nd degree in statistics and 1st year University level maths is actually quite hard. I don't think its necessarily true because I am a math based degree which is actually hard. Am I not smart?

TheReligion

Abusive
Do they though? …granted people on line may say things they don’t really believe but there’s also a genuine moronic element that are so easy to spot …. the QE2 thread being a prime example, amongst others.

I also follow cricket and to a lesser degree rugby and the difference in fan behaviour is quite remarkable.
Yes they do. They act up and say things that they would never dream of doing in real life so to speak. It’s the anonymity of it.

Slysi17

I have to say I’ve found it quite odd as to the sheer extent of the moaning and commotion still going on in this thread about the football being postponed.

I can understand those who were travelling and are now out of pocket being aggrieved but as for everyone else it’s an inconvenience and in the grander scheme of life in general a pretty insignificant one at that.

Have a little rant, change your fantasy football team and move the feck on. It is what it is.
But that point is useless because rugby and cricket have gone ahead. I am not ranting but find the hypocrisy of one sport being canceled and the others going ahead stupid. If it applied to every sport then yeah. But it doesn't make sense why football should be canceled. I am not ranting either. Just saying it's pointless. Not agreeing with something isn't ranting

TheReligion

Abusive
I hadn't given too much thought to any of this - just assumed it was one of those weird little idiosyncrasies you get in some countries, like in Thailand where you have to stand for the Kings anthem at the cinema or not eating in public during Ramadan in Middle Eastern countries. The Premier League is in England and they're mourning their monarch so sport is off for the week. Grand - fair play to them.

Imagine my surprise then, to turn on my telly this evening to discover that the most English of all sports, Cricket, has been going ahead as normal!

What's the deal there?
Little bit more difficult, if not impossible to reschedule the test match really. It’s midway through the final deciding game of the series and the South African team are due to fly home. It would have meant cancelling the whole series or just calling it a draw.

In terms of football being different a few things have been mentioned from Prince William being President of the FA to football being the National sport.

Not saying I agree with any of it but the different governing bodies have taken varying stances. The world title boxing fight at the O2 was also postponed and rescheduled to next month.

TheReligion

Abusive
But that point is useless because rugby and cricket have gone ahead. I am not ranting but find the hypocrisy of one sport being canceled and the others going ahead stupid. If it applied to every sport then yeah. But it doesn't make sense why football should be canceled. I am not ranting either. Just saying it's pointless. Not agreeing with something isn't ranting
Ok it’s pointless. We move on.

Wilt

It's a bit of a circular argument but nobody throws coins etc during a minutes silence. i find suggesting British working class are scum far more offensive than anything anyone could say about the Queen.
What’s British working class got to do with anything?

I come from working class, as do my friends and can guarantee we all would be respectful no matter the occasion. If you think “working class are scum” then shame on you.

Member 125398

What’s British working class got to do with anything?

I come from working class, as do my friends and can guarantee we all would be respectful no matter the occasion. If you think “working class are scum” then shame on you.
Which is what I've been saying but you keep telling me about a hooligan element (which I interpret to mean scum, if I'm wrong then apologies) intent on booing a minutes silence.

Wilt

Which is what I've been saying but you keep telling me about a hooligan element (which I interpret to mean scum, if I'm wrong then apologies) intent on booing a minutes silence.
Don’t want to argue with you as it seems we’re both batting on the same side, but would like to add football hooligans and those who like to spoil it for others come from all walks of life.

Member 125398

Don’t want to argue with you as it seems we’re both batting on the same side, but would like to add football hooligans and those who like to spoil it for others come from all walks of life.
True. I'm sure there will still be silences when the footie returns, i guess we'll find out then.

HairyBack23

You claimed people were better educated back then.

Bondi77

Apologies for this being offensive but I am 32 and simply don't give a rats arse about the royal family which is why for me canceling football is absurd. It's a generation thing. My generation and below simply don't care about them. Our parents and grandparents do. Basically the world has changed. Monarchy should be scrapped now. But in no way am I delighted. I simply don't care sorry. Thing is the Queen lived till she was 96 and had a full life. It's not sad. I mean you have young people dying of cancer young which is actually sad.
And there are babies in Africa that die at birth probably every hour but no one seems to give a shit about that either.
I think there are plenty of young people that care about the Royal Family which was evidenced by the turnout of people that paid their respects and the ages of the people that attended the service.
Sport is sport and to suspend it for a week or two so a country can mourn the loss of a Monarch that has reigned for the majority of peoples lives is not much to ask for in my humble opinion.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I reckon if this country is ever going to survive, we need to lose Attenborough, Jason and McCartney pretty quickly now… Consolidate all our overwrought bygone boomer mourning into one manageable monthly mourn…

otherwise we’re in real danger of relegating the cost of living crisis, the climate crisis, the housing crisis, the generational equality gap crisis, and probably about 3 other undiscovered crises to the newsworthy scrap heap, whilst our parents spend the last gasps of western civilisation forcing us to endure a slow societal collapse to an endless parade of commemorative clip shows.

Slysi17

And there are babies in Africa that die at birth probably every hour but no one seems to give a shit about that either.
I think there are plenty of young people that care about the Royal Family which was evidenced by the turnout of people that paid their respects and the ages of the people that attended the service.
Sport is sport and to suspend it for a week or two so a country can mourn the loss of a Monarch that has reigned for the majority of peoples lives is not much to ask for in my humble opinion.
Instead of mourning shouldn't we celebrate the Queens life. She had a full life. Not many people live til they are 96.

Slysi17

Look I am not obessessed with football and it aint the most important thing. But the Queen dying at 96 isn't more important either than babies dying in Africa and people who are genuinly suffering. I actually have a disability so my life is hard. I have had a tough time so yeah sorry I don't think the Queen dying is the most important. If you or anyone else doesn't like that opinion then tough. Try living with a disability and see how you cope. The things I care most about is not football but actual issues and suffering.

Slysi17

I mean not caring is probably wrong. I am just not sad about it. I just think her life should be celebrated and people shouldn't mourn. We all knew her passing away would happen eventually. In all honesty I didn't mind her and she seemed a lovely lady. Its the other members of the royal family execpt for William and Harry that I have a huge dislike for.

Bondi77

Instead of mourning shouldn't we celebrate the Queens life. She had a full life. Not many people live til they are 96.
Death is normally followed by mourning and not celebration no matter the age unless people wanted the person to die.

Slysi17

Death is normally followed by mourning and not celebration no matter the age unless people wanted the person to die.
That applies to people you know and are actually important like family or friends. I didn't know her like many people so why can't we celebrate her life instead of be in mourning.

Bondi77

Look I am not obessessed with football and it aint the most important thing. But the Queen dying at 96 isn't more important either than babies dying in Africa and people who are genuinly suffering. I actually have a disability so my life is hard. I have had a tough time so yeah sorry I don't think the Queen dying is the most important. If you or anyone else doesn't like that opinion then tough. Try living with a disability and see how you cope. The things I care most about is not football but actual issues and suffering.
You are entitled to your opinion the same as anyone else on here and people either agree or disagree.
I would'nt go making assumptions about peoples lives when you know nothing about them mate. I am sorry that you have a disability and I hope you cope with it in the best way that you can.

RedDevilQuebecois

How can they drown out the idiots if they are all supposed to be silent?
West Ham fans were singing God Save the Queen as their tribute before the Europa League match. That is one way to do it besides the usual round of applause.

Slysi17

You are entitled to your opinion the same as anyone else on here and people either agree or disagree.
I would'nt go making assumptions about peoples lives when you know nothing about them mate. I am sorry that you have a disability and I hope you cope with it in the best way that you can.
Thanks mate. Its just that its very hard for people who don't have a disability to really understand what its like. Thats the point I was making really.

Slysi17

I am at University doing a 2nd degree so I cope well. Its just things that people find easy like dating and driving a car that I find really hard. I mean I am 32 and have never had a girlfriend which sucks.

Dr. StrangeHate

You can mourn and still watch the match. You can just be satisfied with our goals and not streak across town centre butt naked to celebrate them.

Last edited: