Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It’s mental to me that people didn’t know this would happen and actually think games shouldn’t be postponed. Would be impossible to have them continue with the lack of police etc.

Dan_F

I understand it for the funeral, but are we suggesting that the police in London can’t cope with mourning royalists outside Buckingham palace and a few football matches?

El Presidente

To be fair I get it from a policing perspective why the games would be off. Still shite though.
Yeah, from policing standpoint it's fair enough. The "mourning" bit I don't get, since head of states pass away all the time and sporting events are never cancelled, to my knowledge at least.
Still, the suggestion that the game today should be cancelled, especially in such late notice, was pretty funny.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Where will they go if postponed? The earliest opportunity seems to be that gap between Boxing Day and New Year's... the one where there's usually a game but which was removed this year to help with fixture congestion. That'd be a nice bit of irony.

redshaw

You’ll be going about your day all calm and collected and then read this post and like me earlier come to the devastating realisation there probably won’t be a Premier League game played again this month. Throw in the next two weekends which will get cancelled without doubt. You then have the mother fecking bastard international break. At least United are shit again so it won’t be as annoying .
Well put.

It's like a looming dental filling appointment

CarbonStoolBites

Call the season off, the World Cup too, stay inside, halt the stonk market, short crypto, whatever you do don’t go outside, no music is allowed, no dog walking, no flights, no fighs, wear a mask and get quadruple vaxxed, everything is fine, everything is being taken care of even the Monkey Pox.

Stay woke at all times and be sad for the love of god!

Thoughts and Prayers and God Bless America

PS
They should’ve canceled tonight’s game that’s for sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ffs. Well hopefully Martial can come back fit then. More training for EtH. Guessing next week's midweek game will still go ahead but unsure of the Leeds game as it seems like the funeral will likely be on that day. So 2 league games to be rescheduled. At least we can go full strength and hammer Sheriff.

Tragically Hip

Call the season off, the World Cup too, stay inside, halt the stonk market, short crypto, whatever you do don’t go outside, no music is allowed, no dog walking, no flights, no fighs, wear a mask and get quadruple vaxxed, everything is fine, everything is being taken care of even the Monkey Pox.

PS
The MAGA folk always out themselves eventually, and always with such intelligence.

klayton88

Whilst this post is rather ridiculous in a lot of ways, I’ll say this. There will likely be a lot of memorial events this weekend and they will require a lot of police.
Agreed. This will ultimately come down to policing numbers. Makes sense to scrap it all and then invoice Liverpool for the compensation for everybody's cancelled travel plans up and down the country.

klayton88

Why will they require a lot of police?
Because when crowds of people get together it only takes one nob to start mayhem, a stampede etc. I've no doubt there will be some people there who oppose the Royal Family for wherever reason, just there to cause shit, radical preachers etc to stir the crowd up and use the stage to spread their bullshit. There will be trouble this weekend is my guess and it makes sense to postpone in my book.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
From an optics and practical (policing) viewpoint it wouldn't be ideal to have sporting events carry on whilst the entire nation is in a period of mourning. Whilst I have my own views on the royal family, I can see the logic in postponing the games.

I just don't know how they will re-schedule them. This will be another disjointed season for most English clubs

oneloop31

Play the feckin games behind closed doors please.

Cancelling the games are nonsense

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
From an optics and practical (policing) viewpoint it wouldn't be ideal to have sporting events carry on whilst the entire nation is in a period of mourning. Whilst I have my own views on the royal family, I can see the logic in postponing the games.

I just don't know how they will re-schedule them. This will be another disjointed season for most English clubs
It’s like one thing after another… doesn’t help that we have a Thursday-Sunday schedule most weeks, the world cups on. Literally no time to re schedule the games that are going to be called of.

JuriM

PS
How to out yourself as a complete idiot.

Rake

I don't understand why entertainment should be cancelled altogether. If it is because the police will be overwhelmed, that makes sense. If it is because the nation is "grieving", they take away source of happiness and unwinding so everyone can feel even shittier? Also, ruining the plans of millions people, many of which probably planned around those days for a while.

There will be a minute of silence at every game; people still have the chance to mourn her, if they were going to do it in the first place.

Just to clarify, I'm not from the UK. Maybe I'm missing a cultural nuance, but all my dealings with people from the UK would suggest otherwise. Maybe this is a discussion for the General forum, but I just don't think anything should be cancelled.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Will feck up the schedule with the world cup being in the middle.

Maybe it'll be to our benefit with us using the extra training time to build more chemistry between our players.