Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Classical Mechanic

But there have been plenty of other times when very large numbers of people have taken to the streets in London. And this has never required all sporting events to be cancelled.

Why is everyone tip-toeing around the real issue here? The reason sports (not just football) are likely to be cancelled this weekend is about a show of respect. It’s not because of a lack of police. I mean, they made golfers walk off the course at Wentworth yesterday. That obviously wasn’t a policing issue.
I said in my earlier post that the PL2 fixtures today were cancelled out of respect to the Queen. I also said that mourning the Queen and 'repsect' will be a factor in the decision regarding PL games. If it were just a matter of respect for the Queen then there'd be no debate between the PL and government today and they'd already be cancelled. I also posted that the boxing is going ahead this weekend behind closed doors so there is no guarantee that the PL games today will be cancelled.

It isn't just because of respect or mourning the Queen and there are logistical factors. I don't see how that is controversial.

redshaw

do you really think they’re going to plan a monarchs funeral around Newcastle vs Bournemouth.
I don't follow you? Should go without saying I'd be moving Saturdays games to Sunday unless I'm missing some mega reason Newcastle Bournemouth can't be moved a day?

Flexdegea

This is truly pathetic if they cancel the football.

Total gaslighting is going on here, not even sure the mourning bit is representive of the vast majority of people in England. They have everyone convinced everyone loves the royal family etc

Think of the cost involved for people who are already committed to events.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t believe it’s a complete red herring. It would be very difficult to guarantee public safety I imagine given the numbers expected in the capital.
As I said, we’ve had huge gatherings in London loads of times before without the need to cancel all the sporting events. They held an FA cup final the same day as a royal wedding ffs!

the_cliff

I don’t believe it’s a complete red herring. It would be very difficult to guarantee public safety I imagine given the numbers expected in the capital.
2 weeks ago there were 2 million people out and about in the capital for the Notting Hill Carnival.

This isn't about policing. It's about mourning, stop kidding yourself.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is truly pathetic if they cancel the football.

Total gaslighting is going on here, not even sure the mourning bit is representive of the vast majority of people in England. They have everyone convinced everyone loves the royal family etc

Think of the cost involved for people who are already committed to events.
Yep. It’s completely unnecessary.

TheReligion

Abusive
2 weeks ago there were 2 million people out and about in the capital for the Notting Hill Carnival.

This isn't about policing. It's about mourning, stop kidding yourself.
As I said you’re talking about planned events not something spontaneous

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I said in my earlier post that the PL2 fixtures today were cancelled out of respect to the Queen. I also said that mourning the Queen and 'repsect' will be a factor in the decision regarding PL games. If it were just a matter of respect for the Queen then there'd be no debate between the PL and government today and they'd already be cancelled. I also posted that the boxing is going ahead this weekend behind closed doors so there is no guarantee that the PL games today will be cancelled.

It isn't just because of respect or mourning the Queen and there are logistical factors. I don't see how that is controversial.
It’s controversial to claim the reason the games can’t go ahead is because that would be unsafe. When that’s obviously not the main motivation.

Bosws87

If they refund me staying over and £100 train ticket go ahead, otherwise they can kindly piss off.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
A massive state funeral lasting 10 days will take up a lot of police resources, especially in London where large crowds are gathering. As I mentioned earlier the boxing this weekend will take place behind closed doors. I don't see why the Premier League can't do the same.
Where have you seen that the boxing is taking place behind closed doors? All I've seen is that the weigh in will be behind closed doors and a decision on whether the boxing is cancelled will be made today.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Sometimes I need to wake up and realize that there are people around crying for kings, queens, and gods, unbelievable

AussieDevil

People can’t even go a week without the football? Jesus Christ some of you lot need to get a grip.

redshaw

You’re suggesting that the funeral should be timed to coincide with a day for football, which is absolutely mental
No I'm not.

To be clear

next weekend

Saturday - funeral/mourning sports/events cancelled
Sunday - football/events

or

Saturday - football/events
Sunday - funeral/mourning sports/events cancelled

I think a Saturday funeral might be best all round than on a Sunday as I think sport/events continuing the day after the funeral will be more palatable/respectful than just before.

Bosws87

People can’t even go a week without the football? Jesus Christ some of you lot need to get a grip.
Looking at being over £400 down its not that black and white, what about people who have flown in for sporting events etc.

ROFLUTION

Just how does football and the queen have anything to do with each other? Did she play football? Did she watch it week in and week out? Seems just silly to make football a thing that has something to do with the queen/monarchy. I get that you can do a minute or 5 of silence, but speak of cancelling it and other sports? Why? Did she just love Petanque or what?

Telsim

Irish FA have called off their fixtures for the weekend. PL meeting at 11:00 AM.

Lecland07

Sometimes I need to wake up and realize that there are people around crying for kings, queens, and gods, unbelievable
Aren't people in here crying over football? A lot of people would think that is pretty sad. What is sad is dependant on the viewpoint.

ChrisNelson

Give the people what they want at the end of the day.

It's sad that someone has died, someone who appeared to be a good person and who led the Monarchy for 70 years.

But for me, mourning is something done by family and close friends. In this instance, followers of the Royal Family too.

So let them mourn and be sad - which I totally respect - but the vast, overwhelming majority of the country are ready to get on with their lives and Saturday afternoons at the football are a huge part of that for so many people.

Cancelling huge swathes of sporting events will achieve nothing other than putting people out and costing money for things that had been paid for in anticipation of events going ahead.

Another thing is that this really should have been set in stone anyway, why hasn't a decision been made yet?

There should be something in place by the FA which states if the Queen's death is announced x hours ahead of a round of fixtures they're off, if it's y hours they go ahead.

The longer they leave it the more faux uproar from royalists there will be if they go ahead, and the same the other way from football fans who, with the greatest of respect have not been directly impacted by this news, sad as it is.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just how does football and the queen have anything to do with each other? Did she play football? Did she watch it week in and week out? Seems just silly to make football a thing that has something to do with the queen/monarchy. I get that you can do a minute or 5 of silence, but speak of cancelling it and other sports? Why? Did she just love Petanque or what?
It's just this country. There's a desire for the dramatic. Honestly 100% of the nation would be more hurt or bothered when their loved ones died, yet they are trying to force people to care more than necessary. It seems we have a real need to cling onto the past (the monarchy) because it's all we have going for us. She did good and bad things from a position of power, but these days they're basically a tourist attraction.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Postponing Celtic v Shakhtar would be mindboggling given the context of the latter club.

Flexdegea

I don't think you are getting the point. Talking millions of people who have already made plans, especially when costing is so high, and airlines, trains etc won't be giving refunds.

But the worse part of it, their is a decision being made later wherw I'm from to see if they are cancelling the amateur youth matches tomorrow as well. We not talking about football on TV, we can live with that not being on for a week, we are talking about children having to miss a game because a 96 year old women has died.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Classical Mechanic

It’s controversial to claim the reason the games can’t go ahead is because that would be unsafe. When that’s obviously not the main motivation.
I didn't speculate on a main motivation for it, nor did I claim that the games can't go ahead because it's unsafe. I said the games should go ahead, albeit behind closed doors as a compromise.

Where have you seen that the boxing is taking place behind closed doors? All I've seen is that the weigh in will be behind closed doors and a decision on whether the boxing is cancelled will be made today.
Fair enough. I only got half the information there.

Siorac

Irish FA have called off their fixtures for the weekend. PL meeting at 11:00 AM.
That's just Northern Ireland, right? Can't imagine any fixtures getting cancelled in Ireland.

Kaos

Some of us seek comfort in escape in Football at a time where we're struggling to pay our energy bills. A monarch dying hardly constitutes a valid reason for us who bear no sentimental attachment to her nor her institution, for it to be called off.

Like someone's already mentioned if there's a valid reason to cancel the football (or any other sporting event) then I'd welcome it. Because forced collective mourning quite frankly is taking the piss for us who don't feel the need to mourn a royal's passing in 2022.