Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Herman Toothrot

I'm sure they will pull through it. Just making a point that some kids might be upset.

I'm sure the hordes of grown men whinging about a week of no football can pull through that as well.
Sorry, yes, I was being a little bit silly. I'm finding flippancy is my way of coping with the outpouring of Britishness.

Also, is the implication that the PL is scared of the Daily Fail?.
That's the implication. Debatable how much there is in it, but, personally, I do lay a lot of the blame for some United fans turning on Rashford to Paul Dacre and the link and the long arm of their online influence.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Feel for all the people who have already travelled. Zero chance they see any of that money again. Plus there’s the lost income of people who rely on match days.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I’m delighted by her death
But they still shouldn’t cancel football
I don't understand how anyone could be delighted by her death but I guess that's your choice. Even if it does make you come across less than favourably. I guess that's your intention.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It does make sense. Her funeral will be one of the biggest events in British history. We are a Royal state too so you can’t grumble at a once in a generation event.

I’m pretty sure most people would be watching her funeral rather than the football if I’m being honest. She’s as much of an icon as almost anyone in human history all things considered.
Even if that were the case - the funeral is on the 19th September. The last scheduled PL match before the international break is on the 18th.
Ergo you could watch both.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
I don't understand how anyone could be delighted by her death but I guess that's your choice. Even if it does make you come across less than favourably. I guess that's your intention.
its symbolic of the end of an empire that has brought lots of pain & destruction to the world. Not just her fault obviously she hasn’t exactly been forthcoming with reparations.

anyway cancelling football for some performative grieving won’t achieve much

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
its symbolic of the end of an empire that has brought lots of pain & destruction to the world. Not just her fault obviously she hasn’t exactly been forthcoming with reparations.

The empire officially ended in 1997. She was just an older lady who liked her corgis and had a decent sense of humour. It isn’t symbolic of anything other than you being a bit of a ghoul to be honest.

Red00012

She could have at least written a will saying she didn’t want Man Utd v Leeds postponed

fecking monarchy

NewUser777

Absolutely wrong decision, for two reasons. First, football is important to people. It could be a way to celebrate the queen. Now they are left without anything else than drink for a 96 year old woman.

A lot of people have planned travel to GB this weekend for football. They are now staying home, and local businesses loose revenue.

Wrong way to mourn and celebrate a queen.

AjaxToday

Supports
Ajax
What an exaggerated hassle
1 minute of silence is fine, right?

The royal family is one big drama, the queen was not as nice as everyone thinks she was.
I think it's a puppet show, all abolish this prehistoric nonsense

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It does make sense. Her funeral will be one of the biggest events in British history. We are a Royal state too so you can’t grumble at a once in a generation event.

I’m pretty sure most people would be watching her funeral rather than the football if I’m being honest. She’s as much of an icon as almost anyone in human history all things considered.
Other than you know, football fans who would rather watch football.

It's interesting. So does an event being of interest mean other events of interest should not be held? If Messi and Ronaldo make the WC final (God forbid) maybe we should stop all activity around the world? Also there are many icons. It's an irrelevant point and for another thread I suppose. Aside from many more iconic figures who were more positive and interesting for many, I'd even argue that Princess Diana herself was miles more iconoc and relevant when she passed. She was genuinely adored across the world.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
So does an event being of interest mean other events of interest should not be held?
The Royal PR Office would go into full meltdown if there were any competition like the PL in their TV slot. Imagine the scenes if it's not the most watched thing of all time ever because too many people watched the footy instead.

Lights Out

Your idiotic comments won’t achieve anything either but you still did it anyway

Nogho

arsenal

all in all, she had a bad week :(
The Gunners you say. Wouldn’t guessed that. Oh well let her Rest In Peace. I really think she would have chosen the football and everything else that bring joy to peoples life to go on as usual. She felt like that kind of person. I’m not a fan of royalty and doesn’t feel like it should be part of the society in 2022. But she seem to be a good person overall.

Barthez

Some people, myself included are indeed in mourning. That could also include many other people that make up, and are required to put on an event or sports match. Just let people deal with it. I’m sure we can all forgo football for a while. I’m astonished to be perfectly honest how some of you manage to get through a summer. I love the game and United as much as anyone but I also love my country, the monarchy and its history. All will be well in time.
God save the King.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Some people, myself included are indeed in mourning. That could also include many other people that make up, and are required to put on an event or sports match. Just let people deal with it. I’m sure we can all forgo football for a while. I’m astonished to be perfectly honest how some of you manage to get through a summer. I love the game and United as much as anyone but I also love my country, the monarchy and its history. All will be well in time.
God save the King.
No one is forced to watch or go to matches. Everyone who feels like it is absolutely entitled to mourn, not sure why everyone else is forced to as well, though

PoTMS

I am in mourning over football being cancelled for the weekend.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
The Gunners you say. Wouldn’t guessed that. Oh well let her Rest In Peace. I really think she would have chosen the football and everything else that bring joy to peoples life to go on as usual. She felt like that kind of person. I’m not a fan of royalty and doesn’t feel like it should be part of the society in 2022. But she seem to be a good person overall.
Ya I agree

those who want to grieve have plenty of other avenues but anyway that’s it I guess

Dan_F

Officially, yes, but the expectation since yesterday evening was that the games were not going to go ahead.
That’s not correct. The Rugby Premier League board were in meetings till midday today making the decision. Some fans were already travelling to the game. There was an expectation that the weekend’s fixtures may be called off last night, as per all sports. There was certainly no expectation that they would delay the game for 24 hours and all other fixtures would go ahead. As a result the game is now not televised and doesn’t even have TMO (VAR). It’s a complete lash up.

Lee565

It's odd when schools, business etc is business as normal but football gets cancelled because heaven forbid people want to have a bit of fun and entertainment during the weekend instead of morbidly mopping about the Queen

C'est Moi Cantona

Respect the Royals, and whilst of course it was inevitable she was going to go pretty soon, I'm sad the Queen has died, but I'm still not sure this was the right decision, personally some sort of tribute before the games would have been a far better idea, and then postpone any games that were due to be played in the funeral day.

I'm very glad that is has been made clear the games could have been played though, and that this is on the FA, so it can't be used as a stick to beat the Royal Family with, (not that many on here need much of sn excuse to do that anyway).

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Is next weeks Europa league fixture cancelled and what about Leeds after that?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't care about the Queen and I don't see why my weekend should be spoiled in deference to a feeling that I'm supposed to have but don't.