Is Gareth Southgate a shiite England manager?

GazTheLegend

"battered"? They had 1 shot on goal (to England's 3) and less possession.

It was a shit game and I would say that USA were better but "battered"? You could have stuck me in goal for England and the result would not have been any different!
The us had about 5 corners in the space of 2 minutes. England couldn't get out their half. Right enough a lot of their domination didn't convert to attempts on goal but let's be real, they had plenty of real chances to score and England had absolutely nothing offensively yhe entire game. Felt like a battering.

Looking at the stats now is weird because it didn't FEEL like England had more of the ball to me, and apparently the USA only had 1 shot on target fair enough. It's one of those ones where the raw data doesn't match the actual flow of a game, but only an idiot would argue with raw data and I guess it wasn't quite as one sided as it felt.

Lecland07

The us had about 10 corners in the space of 2 minutes. England couldn't get out their half. Right enough a lot of their domination didn't convert to attempts on goal but let's be real, they had plenty of real chances to score and England had absolutely nothing offensively yhe entire game. Felt like a battering.
It wasn't a battering - England were dreadful, but the US weren't creating chance after chance. They had the Pulisic shot hitting the bar, but that is pretty much all that was created.

I didn't think the US would score at any time, to be honest. Their corners weren't threatening at all. I don't remember them winning one of those against the oil tanker, Maguire.

Hammondo

Yes and no really.

Yes - this team should be playing better football and should have won the euros.

No - since 1966 no manager of England has done better than him
No manager has had an easier ride than him.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It wasn't a battering - England were dreadful, but the US weren't creating chance after chance. They had the Pulisic shot hitting the bar, but that is pretty much all that was created.

I didn't think the US would score at any time, to be honest. Their corners weren't threatening at all. I don't remember them winning one.
McKennie should have scored with space but skied his shot and had a longer attempt he blazed well over. Wright had a header that went wide.

The US, just like England, had a handful of decent chances totally missed or blocked.

SteveCoppellFan

Anyone that defends Southgate is either english or a wind up merchant or both.

Over the last few years this bloke is single-handedly ruining the best chance you have had of winning a major competition.

Gavinb33

Anyone that defends Southgate is either english or a wind up merchant or both.

Over the last few years this bloke is single-handedly ruining the best chance you have had of winning a major competition.
I am English and no real fan of the national team but I don't denigrate his achievements with England maybe they should have done better but a semi final and final are better than his predecessors

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He doesn't make the draws and you can only beat what is in front of you and he has done that better than any England manager since Ramsey.
If he’d won anything you might have a point. But whenever a half decent side was put in front of him he hasn’t won.

Pintu

If he’d won anything you might have a point. But whenever a half decent side was put in front of him he hasn’t won.
He’s won games against decent teams, including Denmark (in the form they had at the Euros), Croatia, Germany and he defeated Spain back in 2018‘s Nations league ( Spain won the reverse leg and England won the group). England would have been a worthy winner of that edition in the summer of 2019… The Dutch (who’d missed the previous WC) just wanted it more and won that semifinal.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Alternatively he decided this wasn't the game where he needed to take that kind of risk. You can disagree with that approach but it's not stupid.

You can certainly argue that an approach that is good at getting us through to final stages might not be as good at winning tournaments and there is certainly evidence for that but not sure it is conclusive yet.
That’s a fair assessment if Southgate had ever shown that he’s capable of that type of thinking and “going for it” in other matches. But he’s not. This wasn’t some master plan by him, it’s just his normal plan

Zen86

He’s a pragmatic manager who prefers to keep it safe and not take risks, but this England squad is also massively overrated. They’re not some superstar team being held back by the manager, just another set of overhyped English players which is pretty par for the course by now.

Hammondo

He doesn't make the draws and you can only beat what is in front of you and he has done that better than any England manager since Ramsey.
Yea that's true, but he loses to anyone decent, so he's failed.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think he’s awful because he never sets out to beat an opponent, but instead sets out how to avoid conceding. This game is supposed to be thrilling, and only a small country with a small mentality would be proud of winning it playing ultra defensive, conservative football. The main problem is he never switches out of this mode, he never unleashes these players. Instead of being grateful he fluked the England team to the Euros final, you should be livid that he spurned the chance to win it because of pure cowardice.

Last edited:

MUnchies

What? You're either trolling or you're a deluded USA fan. Most of the USA starting 11 play in the MLS which is a much inferior league to the EPL where our national team players are based.
What? Turner(Arsenal), Dest(AC Milan), Mckennie(Juventus), Adams(Leeds), Musah(Valencia), Pulisic(Chelsea), Ream(Fulham), Weah(Lille), Robinson(Fulham) all started then Aaronson(Leeds), Reyna(Dortmund), Sargent(Norwich) came on as substitutes.

To say most of the USA starting 11 play in MLS makes you so clueless. No way you follow football, golf must be on a break so you are just watching the world cup to pass time?

Zen86

I think he’s awful because he never sets out to beat an opponent, but instead sets out how to avoid conceding. This game is supposed to be thrilling, and only a small country with a small mentality would be proud of winning it playing ultra defensive, conservative football. The main problem is he never switches out of this mode, he never unleashes these players. Instead of being grateful he fluked the England team to the Euros final, you should be livid that he spurned the chance to win it because of pure cowardice.
England have never been thrilling even with better players than we have now. And I’d say the vast majority of international teams are actually pragmatic and quite boring to watch.

Wing Attack Plan R

England have never been thrilling even with better players than we have now. And I’d say the vast majority of international teams are actually pragmatic and quite boring to watch.
Don’t tell that to France v. Denmark happening right now. Also, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I think your assessment is wrong: most quality sides try to play thrilling football. It is only the sides who suddenly find themselves elevated beyond their station - like Greece - who resort to mind-numbing tactics. England had flashes of brilliance in the Gazza years, and they weren’t half bad with Rooney and Beckham. This current crop is nowhere near as talented but nevertheless their talent is being squandered.

nickm

He’s a pragmatic manager who prefers to keep it safe and not take risks, but this England squad is also massively overrated. They’re not some superstar team being held back by the manager, just another set of overhyped English players which is pretty par for the course by now.
I think that is closer to the truth, although we are rightly rated as a decent side based on our recent finishes. We do have some good players but we’ve often had good players in the past and then screwed up because we can’t control games or we lack discipline or mental strength. So I can understand why Southgate plays them the way he does. I’d like to hope this England side is old enough and experienced enough now to make that count this time, so I’m not losing my head over a draw with the USA that keeps us top of our group and on track, ferchrissake.

phelans shorts

Don’t tell that to France v. Denmark happening right now. Also, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I think your assessment is wrong: most quality sides try to play thrilling football. It is only the sides who suddenly find themselves elevated beyond their station - like Greece - who resort to mind-numbing tactics. England had flashes of brilliance in the Gazza years, and they weren’t half bad with Rooney and Beckham. This current crop is nowhere near as talented but nevertheless their talent is being squandered.
They were absolutely dreadful to watch. Way worse than the current crop. Two banks of four and hope Beckham puts in a set piece or Rooney/Owen does something.

Also included in their era (Beckham was injured for the tournament but was due to be in it) was the single worst game of football ever to take place, England vs Algeria.

Wing Attack Plan R

They were absolutely dreadful to watch. Way worse than the current crop. Two banks of four and hope Beckham puts in a set piece or Rooney/Owen does something.

Also included in their era (Beckham was injured for the tournament but was due to be in it) was the single worst game of football ever to take place, England vs Algeria.
Disagree, overall. England v Algeria was a crime against football, though.

Wing Attack Plan R

There’s a funny piece in the Athletic today mentioning 2010 and that Algeria game, and here’s the first paragraph:

“The previous time England were booed off after a World Cup group game, it was 2010 and we had just witnessed a performance so bad that a bird perched itself on the roof of the opposition net during the first half, convinced it had just found the safest spot in Cape Town.”

Zen86

France as a team are hardly thrilling, edge of your seat football. They have M’Bappe’s explosivity which is a spectacle in itself supported by a far, far better set of players than England. The “golden generation” of England with which you mention were generally poor to watch, while never making it to a final of a major competition.

Pintu

There’s a funny piece in the Athletic today mentioning 2010 and that Algeria game, and here’s the first paragraph:

“The previous time England were booed off after a World Cup group game, it was 2010 and we had just witnessed a performance so bad that a bird perched itself on the roof of the opposition net during the first half, convinced it had just found the safest spot in Cape Town.”
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zen86

I think that is closer to the truth, although we are rightly rated as a decent side based on our recent finishes. We do have some good players but we’ve often had good players in the past and then screwed up because we can’t control games or we lack discipline or mental strength. So I can understand why Southgate plays them the way he does. I’d like to hope this England side is old enough and experienced enough now to make that count this time, so I’m not losing my head over a draw with the USA that keeps us top of our group and on track, ferchrissake.
Pretty much every England side for the last 20 years (bar the last WC) has been hyped up beyond it’s abilities and failed to deliver. We’ve always lacked quality in the middle, or gone with inferior stat-padder players who are unable to control a game. I actually think we’re going to bottle it against Wales, reckon the Welsh will make this the game of their lives.