Is Gareth Southgate a shiite England manager?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Think there’s some harsh opinions in here. It’s not fair FIFA give every team 23 man squad except for Gareth who is forced to play same 13 every time.

But seriously, yes he is a seriously shite spineless manager who has a great squad and pluckily still sets out to not lose against the USA. Losing control of the game and his answer is fecking Henderson when he has Foden on the bench. Little taster of what’s coming against first half decent team and then I hope he fecks off for good.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not watched the game, but just checked scores.
Had a look at the lineup, and it made me wonder if your starting 11 would beat the bench, i'm genuinely not sure.

whitbyviking

Yes. Picks players on reputation, has too many favourites, has no sense for how a game is developing, no plan b, no creativity, totally bereft of ideas on how to inspire, I could go on. We have a relatively strong squad, we have a squad and players available to have several systems of play, he sticks to the same old dross. Results like Iran paper over the cracks.

He hasn’t improved since his days at Middlesbrough, he was out of his depth there and things haven’t changed. Only difference is that it is now on him and not Steve Gibson for throwing him to the wolves.

AndyMUFC

He's not been shit no but there's obviously a good chance he's not the man to take the squad further than he has.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Yes. Picks players on reputation, has too many favourites, has no sense for how a game is developing, no plan b, no creativity, totally bereft of ideas on how to inspire, I could go on. We have a relatively strong squad, we have a squad and players available to have several systems of play, he sticks to the same old dross. Results like Iran paper over the cracks.

He hasn’t improved since his days at Middlesbrough, he was out of his depth there and things haven’t changed. Only difference is that it is now on him and not Steve Gibson for throwing him to the wolves.
Yeah this especially.

Kopral Jono

Yet he’s obsessed by Mount who has done feck all in an England shirt.
Mount, to be fair, played really well against Iran but I think the point you're making is that Southgate has his favourites no matter what and Foden is definitively not on that list.

Judas

Open to offers
Mount, to be fair, played really well against Iran but I think the point you're making is that Southgate has his favourites no matter what and Foden is definitively not on that list.
Did he? He must be one of these players you have to really pay attention to notice them doing much, because I just don't see it with him in an England shirt.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
What did he say about how impressed he was with how England ‘controlled the game from the back with the outstanding centre backs’. Passing it to each other, the full backs and then the goalkeeper in your own half isn’t controlling the game, wtf.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Trent has been laughably bad this season, and I don’t think many coaches would be starting him in tournament football, where one mistake has you potentially facing elimination.
Yes, Trent has performed poorly this season in both terms of his attitude and level of playing ( since I'm a scouser, I've felt angry at him a lot of times this season) and he probably doesn't fit in Gareth's tactics( safety first too). However, I think Gareth should send him as a sub in the last 20 minutes when the score is 0-0 and England's attackers couldn't do anything to USA's defense. Maybe his crosses and long balls could change the game.

I agree that he shouldn't play as a starter.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Who is over rating the team? The defense has never been poorer in the last 20 years. The midfield lacks depth and we have some of the most inconsistent wide players in World football.

Without injuries and playing a full strength side, we should be competing to win every competition. Spain and Germany have declined, they are not insurmountable, they’re definitely beatable unlike previous tournament sides. Brazil are always flawed and Portugal and Argentina? Again, nothing England couldn’t compete with on any given day. That’s a Rafa Facht. There is no stand out side.
But you have been competing to win every single competition. You were literally a few kicks away in the very last major one.

The fact is, there are still 3-4 teams here that are better than England and 4-5 more than would give them a very tough game in the knockouts.

It is very cruel to suggest that someone should be winning a competition. I think he has exceeded expectation so far, result wise, with the team he has available.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd have 100% stuck Trent on to actually put in some attacking crosses. We dominated them in the air, and Trippier really wasn't providing much. Seemed quite an obvious decision to me.

Lecland07

What did he say about how impressed he was with how England ‘controlled the game from the back with the outstanding centre backs’. Passing it to each other, the full backs and then the goalkeeper in your own half isn’t controlling the game, wtf.
He said he was impressed with the build up from the back. In Southgate's weird world that might be true, but in everyone else's it was dreadful.

Gazza

There’s one superior sausage in this thread who was giving out about how entitled England fans are for daring to want a manager who plays football on the front foot, suddenly after today he’s softened his stance and is starting to “doubt” Southgate himself. :smirk:

Maluco

Yes, Trent has performed poorly this season in both terms of his attitude and level of playing and he probably doesn't fit in Gareth's tactics( safety first too). However, I think Gareth should send him as a sub in the last 20 minutes when the score is 0-0 and England's attackers couldn't do anything to USA's defense. Maybe his crosses and long balls could change the game.

I agree that he shouldn't play as a starter.
Yeah, he could definitely have done this, but up against a quick attacker like Pulisic, would you risk it?

I honestly don’t think I would. A must win against a pumped up Wales is the last thing he needs.

Pickle85

Decent bloke, good ambassador for the team but an absolutely woeful coach.

AndyMUFC

He deserves respect for the last two tournaments, I don't care what anyone says because I think we'd struggle to win something under any manager, but yes it is probably time to give someone else a go after we inevitably go out.

GazTheLegend

Had a look at the lineup, and it made me wonder if your starting 11 would beat the bench, i'm genuinely not sure.
It's mind boggling isn't it. I'm not convinced an England side managed by Southgate would beat a "England players that didn't make his 23 man squad" side managed by Sam Allardyce, honestly

GazTheLegend

He deserves respect for the last two tournaments, I don't care what anyone says because I think we'd struggle to win something under any manager, but yes it is probably time to give someone else a go after we inevitably go out.
Why does he deserve respect exactly? For losing to every single decent side he came up against? Remember he played every single European championship game -at Wembley- and still got embarrassed in the end

TheGame

Yeah, he should have been replaced by Foden, it was a clear sub to make. Foden has been in great form for City. It’s just so negative. Henderson for Bellingham summed that up.

Cloud7

Pope
Walker - Dier - Ben White - Coady
Henderson - Phillips
TAA - Foden - Graelish
Rashford

Would give the starting 11 a match with a more positive manager

AshRK

It is nowhere near a golden generation. There is probably one world class footballer in there (Kane) with Foden arguably on his way to reaching that tier.

England have been at a World Cup with Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Owen, Carrick, Campbell, Carragher all in the same squad.

This isn’t even close to a golden generation. He is boring, but I really do think people are being unfair to Southgate.
The fact that he is not even letting the boy who is on course to WC play one minute today shows how out of depth he is.

They have got wealth of talent and should be playing a better brand of football and not a timid football where he is bringing Henderson on to protect from getting dominated.

I think people are fairly criticizing the manager. Any half decent side on their good day will dominate this English side and not because the players are bad but because of this manager.

Abraxas

Pope
Walker - Dier - Ben White - Coady
Henderson - Phillips
TAA - Foden - Graelish
Rashford

Would give the starting 11 a match with a more positive manager
Hang on, Dier in a back 4 and Coady at left back? Thank God you're not manager!

Maluco

Why does he deserve respect exactly? For losing to every single decent side he came up against? Remember he played every single European championship game -at Wembley- and still got embarrassed in the end
This is the overrating I am talking about. A World Cup semi final and Euro final lost on a lottery, and he doesn’t deserve ANY respect? Really?

These are tournaments played where the very best options available have been players like Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Philips, Rice.

No top keepers, no top CBs, a very limited midfield on a technical level and overrated wide players.

He is boring and overly pragmatic, but no credit at all?

AFC NimbleThumb

The clamour for Foden seems weird to me as he’s not been Citeh Foden for England. Lots of things to slate him for but not picking Foden wouldn’t be one for me.

I’d have Foden over Mount any day mind.

Kopral Jono

Did he? He must be one of these players you have to really pay attention to notice them doing much, because I just don't see it with him in an England shirt.
He was everywhere. Made a few very good passes and interceptions, won fouls and carried the ball well from midfield. Tonight he was gash, though. England were crying out for Foden.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The fact that he is not even letting the boy who is on course to WC play one minute today shows how out of depth he is.

They have got wealth of talent and should be playing a better brand of football and not a timid football where he is bringing Henderson on to protect from getting dominated.

I think people are fairly criticizing the manager. Any half decent side on their good day will dominate this English side and not because the players are bad but because of this manager.
Yup. Just horrible to watch it is, like being stuck behind anxious drivers on the roads.

Djemba-Djemba

The clamour for Foden seems weird to me as he’s not been Citeh Foden for England. Lots of things to slate him for but not picking Foden wouldn’t be one for me.

I’d have Foden over Mount any day mind.
Yeah that's the point.

Foden has been a big disappointment in an England shirt, but it's the fact he's picking a total no mark in Mount over him that is annoying.

Abraxas

Wouldn't Maddison be a better fit for the Mount position if fit? Not sure Foden is known for his ability from central areas.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
How the feck can you leave Mount on and not bring Foden on. Henderson coming on, just so negative. Hell any other manager would have removed Kane and put Rashford or Wilson up front.
That is a mystery.
USA seemed to be getting a lot of joy down our right side, so you are right it was a defensive move, but we actually started to get more of the ball when Henderson came on.
Southgate is very reluctant to try anything that is not in the England play book, so bringing Kane off when it's 0-0 is not gonna happen.
Would like to have seen Grealish as a 10, Rashford on left, Foden on right, and Wilson up front for the last 20 minutes or so.
I don't think Madison is gonna get a look in at all, but let's see what the new England manager makes of these players, before it's too late.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Hang on, Dier in a back 4 and Coady at left back? Thank God you're not manager!
Out of the rest of the squad who didn’t play who else would you put at centre back ?.

honestly it’s actually impressive how Southgate manages to make Such a strong attacking team look so pathetic

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Not joking when I say that was one of the most tumescent performances I've seen in years, and I've been watching Liverpool this season. We were bad to awful in every area of the pitch. We couldn't control the game at all. We struggled to press cohesively. We struggled to pass or progress the ball effectively up the pitch. We struggled to create quality chances.

I don't think this team is some golden generation by any means, but we certainly have sufficient quality within the squad to look like human beings against sides like the US. We looked like tired old dogs out there.

Southgate is a clown who has kept his job by virtue of some extremely fortunate draws in previous tournaments. He should have been sacked months ago. But I'll settle for a sacking after this world cup.

Hal9000

Why does he let Kane just wonder around the pitch? We had our number 9 not upfront cause he was deciding to play next to rice at times today..