Is Garnacho about to be "Cavanied"? | No

Jericho

An innocent post. Unsurprisingly some people look for badness in everything.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why am I hearing a 3 match ban is likely? Didn't City's Bernardo get a one match ban for something similar?
I believe the punishment has increased since the Silva incident. When Cavani received his three match ban that was the minimum punishment at that point.

JustinC00

Ya there was no way Scouser Debbie Hewitt was gonna let this one go by unpunished.

JediSith

Yeah the animal itself is an amazing creature, intelligent, protective, like you say and Russians would be proud of a bear or wolf analogy. It's just that for guys my age, when games were a lot more sinister back in the 80s it carries connotations but hey, Onana definitely doesn't need my vicarious outrage!
it’s a beautiful animal. Actually shares the traits of keepers and CB’s.

I agree about the past connotations. But if something is changing to become a positive analogy, even if part of the analogy is to do with skin colour, should we kill it and ensure it stays as a negative analogy used only to insult or should we let it evolve?

Okey

The crazy world we live in today. People are looking for offence on behalf of others, even if said others have expressly stated there is no issue. Someday this wokery will consume us all.

Sir Erik ten Hag

If Onana himself has said it, what right do those people have in deciding things for him? Or are they gonna punish Onana together with Garnacho too?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
It sucks that this stupid sh*t will recieve a punishment, while the real racism which keeps infesting our society will not.

What's funny is that this probably will be sanctioned by a couple of conservative old white farts in the FA who have no idea about the real issue and they think they're doing some good to the world

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think FA are racist. The fact that they are deciding which specific ethnic group of people should be offended by what despite both side denying any intention/issue from it, and then making a big deal out of it, is itself an act of racist.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If Onana himself has said it, what right do those people have in deciding things for him? Or are they gonna punish Onana together with Garnacho too?

The level of abuse Garnacho is getting here is bizarre. He deleted it quick when people flagged it could be misconstrued.
Some cultures aren't as hyper-sensitive about race like the UK and US when no offence is clearly meant.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He could have chosen a lion or a bear. If that were De Gea, he would not have chosen a gorilla
Bears are cuddly and not intimidating.

Yeah it's lion or gorilla. Who cares which one he uses? Neither are racist in the slightest. Gorillas refer to someone being a beast, lions refer to someone being really brave. That's pretty much it. Reading more into it is pathetic.

Biggins

If this is really Onana’s comment to the situation then this should go no further. Otherwise, it will simply be ridiculous.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The FA are a bunch of only fools and horses rodney plonkers so they will "investigate" this anyway.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If this is really Onana’s comment to the situation then this should go no further. Otherwise, it will simply be ridiculous.
That's nonsense.

I'm sure Onana meant his post, but you don't want players feeling the pressure of having to let their teammates off the hook for dumb posts on social media.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Our players are kinda dumb aren’t they? Even if he did not mean anything bad, at least think twice before you post things on social media. As a footballer, anything you post is going to be scrutinised in this day and age.

justsomebloke

Seems to me that the racists at the FA see it as racist while Garnacho and Onana didn’t. It’s only racist if you think Onana looks like an ape.

All jokes aside it’s a comment on a celebration about your teammate. It’s obviously meant to celebrate that moment and any reasonable person should see that and take no further action. By all means suggest an awareness course or something.
That's not how it works though, ref the Cavani case. And Garnacho should know that.

Micky Targaryen

Read the OP and came in to say exactly this. If the subject isn't offended by it, then what's the problem here? The most important part is that Onana and Garnacho were on the same page and interpreted it correctly.

The society we live in now are too fragile and woke. We live in a world where Onana is not offended and yet everyone else feels offended on his behalf.

Micky Targaryen

Onana: I understand my teammate and friend and I know he means well. I'm fine.

FA: Well I feel angry for you! I'm not fine! :mad:

Bondi77

Just goes to show how there are so many closet racists when a link can possibly be formed between the two.

Hostekule

In terms of punishment; I think the context of the emojis being used as a celebration should matter as well. It makes no sense for Garnacho to abuse a teammate that just helped win the match.

Think Garnacho could use some education though.

Gazautd18

What? Why? Since when?
Vaguely remember someone on Sky mentioning it when describing Lukaku?
Think the analogy was that Kane, Shearer etc were always associated with being intelligent.
Can't recall the full context though.

Lyng

I had massive doubts about him, but man I cannot not love Onana. I really hope that penalty save is what sparks his career for us. He has the right mentality and is such a leader on the pitch. He didnt have to stand up for his team mate here but chose to do it.
Garnacho clearly isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer but it was clear he never meant that in a racist way.

1DeGea1

It's got a very long and well known history with being racist towards black people, you would need to be ignorant not to notice it.
I do get that, but how do you punish him for using the emoji twice for two muscular teammates when one is white and one is black?

If you are taking his meaning as having a racial connotation you have to deliberately ignore that the two heroes of the game are in the picture and that both look impressively strong. You have to ignore half the message’s original subject then take the remaining half and twist its meaning.

To me, it’s as racially neutral a message as you could have communicated. He’s applying one figurative representation of strength universally to two teammates who happen to be of different ethnicities. I honestly doubt he noticed the difference in his initial compliment. And then, this is pure speculation, someone has pointed out to him that some less well-meaning people may single out Onana as the subject of the tweet and he’s instantly deleted it.

But the FA could still easily ban him despite all of that. They are ham-fisted and prefer the optics of fighting against supposed racism over actually responding to any genuine issue in their league (City’s 115 infringements or the need for an officiating overhaul). This is an open goal for them: ignore the racial neutrality of the tweet and pretend it is aimed at one individual and then publicly slam him with a formal sanction.

One thing that is genuinely worrying is the impact this will have, on a personal level, for Garnacho. He’s a young boy acting out of affection to his friends and he’s being met with a whirlwind of media attention and witch-hunting accusations of racist intent. The next step will be that formal, public accusation from the official footballing body which will reinforce his position as a supposed ‘racist’. I’m really glad Onana has spoken up to protect his mental health but I can imagine the FA are ready to leave him out for public ridicule very soon, and I hope the team rally around him when they do.

NotThatSoph

The level of abuse Garnacho is getting here is bizarre. He deleted it quick when people flagged it could be misconstrued.
Some cultures aren't as hyper-sensitive about race like the UK and US when no offence is clearly meant.
All the comments are supportive of Garnacho?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I had massive doubts about him, but man I cannot not love Onana. I really hope that penalty save is what sparks his career for us. He has the right mentality and is such a leader on the pitch. He didnt have to stand up for his team mate here but chose to do it.
His mentality seems first class, doesn't it?

For all the faults we still have, we do seem to be signing players with much better mentality under Ten Hag. A squad full of fighters like Onana, Martinez and Casemiro should go far. Hojlund is showing early signs of being another as well.

Lyng

His mentality seems first class, doesn't it?
Absolutely. And its also in the little things like him and Maguire celebrating Dalot's goal together. After the comments after their first match together its great to see them essentially shutting up pundits through their actions.

Thiagoal

As a black person myself I can honestly say that I , nor any of my close circle of friends/ family, consider a gorilla emoji in any way racist. Monkey yes- gorilla no! In fact it’s a compliment! The fact so many white people are linking the two together is actual highlighting prejudice in itself! I have no doubts that the overwhelmingly white middle class men at the FA will be ‘appalled’ at Garnacho’s tweet and hand down a ban and ‘training’ so he can be a better person!

Barthez

That's nonsense.

I'm sure Onana meant his post, but you don't want players feeling the pressure of having to let their teammates off the hook for dumb posts on social media.
Let off the hook!!! - What on earth is happening to society?

RuudtheRed

3 match ban incoming I'm sure. The FA don't even take cultural nuance into consideration (see Cavani's punishment vs Bernardo Silva's punishment) and since Garnacho plays for United, I see no way he is escaping without a ban.