Is Gerrard finished?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
2 starts in a week, not anymore fella.
I cantbsyand Rodgers but he was spot on in resting Gerrard. It needs to happen more often now.

Obviously he was never going to be rested for Basle or Utd but if his minutes were limited at other opportunities then he'd have been fresher today.

Patchbeard

He did play a fantastic pass into Moreno today and a great free-kick in the week. Could be a fantastic 'quarterback' in MLS and maybe win a league title.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I was honestly unsure whether he was playing or not during the second half. I was fairly sure I saw his name on the teamsheet, but I couldn't find him anywhere on the pitch. Thankfully he then got booked, which cleared it up!

He still has something to offer for Liverpool I think, but I don't think Rodgers is doing him any favours in basically giving him 90 minutes every match. Look at how Fergie used Giggs, Scholes etc. when they got older.

MarcRed96

He certainly looks finished, he was pretty awful today. I reckon it'll be his last season with Liverpool.

toonfan

He's not finished but at this stage of his career Rodgers needs to pick and choose his games. Bring him in for big matches & give him a run out against weaker opposition now and then, in the same way Scholes or Giggs were used at the end of their careers. But Gerrard has already played 22 matches this season and he should only be playing around 25 games in total (in all competitions) throughout the season. In some ways he might be better off deployed as a sweeper in a back-three, much like how Van Gaal has used Carrick - the Gerrard who could play off the striker vanished some years ago.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Goal.com rated him as 'tough game but tried to inspire his teammates' How on earth was he inspiring his teammates? I didn't notice he was on the pitch.

MoskvaRed

i think he's mentally shot. He'd practically accepted he'd never win the league and then experienced last season's title charge out of nowhere, only for him to screw up when they had one hand on the trophy. Either he should retire or move to the U.S. for a swan song. Playing in a struggling team in an environment where the ghosts of last season are ever present is not doing him any favours.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
If you're going out clubbing in Liverpool tonight, watch out. He might twat you. Take a Phil Collins CD with you just in case.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
The only position I could see him doing a job is as a #10, his passing shooting and set pieces are still good... But they have Lallana Coutinho and Sterling who can play there, so yeah as a Liverpool player he's done I'd say.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
No, Brenton will ask Stevie G if he wants to be dropped.
Brendan at least has one less worry, he no longer has to worry about dropping Gerrard this season. He won't be manager for much longer so that heavy baton will be handed to the new guy.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Brendan at least has one less worry, he no longer has to worry about dropping Gerrard this season. He won't be manager for much longer so that heavy baton will be handed to the new guy.
Stevie won't drop himself when he takes over.

Maybe a few night clubbers.

Irrational.

He's still useful for Liverpool in set piece situations.

If he's dropped, Brentan will be homeless. So no, he's not finished yet.

OneUnited24

Having spoken to a Liverpool fan he agrees that Gerrard shouldnt be starting games, but wonders who else they have who would be any better. That for me is the problem in a nutshell - a 35 year old can still walk into the side

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's not finished but at this stage of his career Rodgers needs to pick and choose his games. Bring him in for big matches & give him a run out against weaker opposition now and then, in the same way Scholes or Giggs were used at the end of their careers. But Gerrard has already played 22 matches this season and he should only be playing around 25 games in total (in all competitions) throughout the season. In some ways he might be better off deployed as a sweeper in a back-three, much like how Van Gaal has used Carrick - the Gerrard who could play off the striker vanished some years ago.
Don't understand this. Carrick can position himself, can tackle and is good in the air. He also has experience playing CB and better stamina than Gerrard at this point. Gerrard would not be even slightly suited to playing in defence, just as he's not even slightly suited to playing as a defensive mid.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
No. Not even close. People love writing him off though. He put everything in against Basel and when we had ten men he was everywhere. Not realistic to expect him to go again a few days later against United (though I understand why Rodgers played him and I would have done the same).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
No. Not even close. People love writing him off though. He put everything in against Basel and when we had ten men he was everywhere. Not realistic to expect him to go again a few days later against United (though I understand why Rodgers played him and I would have done the same).
But he said he would in the post match interview.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
i think he's mentally shot. He'd practically accepted he'd never win the league and then experienced last season's title charge out of nowhere, only for him to screw up when they had one hand on the trophy. Either he should retire or move to the U.S. for a swan song. Playing in a struggling team in an environment where the ghosts of last season are ever present is not doing him any favours.
That must haunt him. He's practically the reason Liverpool aren't reigning champions.

Bojan11

Liverpool fans wanting Brenton out. :lol:

Surely he deserves a chance to put things right considering he got you second last season.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apart from his yellow card he was completely anonymous in the second half. I forgot he was even on the pitch.

Rossa

It took me a while to figure out that he played - I think he misplaced a pass. Then I reckoned he was substituted in the break, but then he popped up to get a booking. Terrific performance from him today. He was a great player.