Is Grealish the new Carrick and Scholes for England?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Barely used or used incorrectly despite being one of the best players in the league.

Praised to the high heavens by pundits and fans alike but ignored by the national team manager for reason and to accommodate other players.

Skills

Snitch
Don't think so. I just don't see how he fits into the team - everyone can keep pretending you can stick him in as a 10 or a CM but he hasn't actually played there.

With Kane at CF, you need a wide forwards flanking him

MiceOnMeth

Hopefully not. Looked more dangerous than both Foden and Sterling when he came on last night and should get the start for game 3.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He didn't look that impressive when he came on and because he isn't starting, people are hyping him up as if he is prime Gascoigne or prime Rooney when he is not at either level. He is a very good player but he is no better than Sterling, Rashford or Sancho, who have all put up great numbers for the last few seasons.

Grealish is a good player but he is not going to be the saviour of the England national team. The way the commentators were hyping him up as he was coming on yesterday, it was as if prime Maradona was about to step onto the field. All the buzz about him before he came on and he was pretty average like every other England player.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't think so. I just don't see how he fits into the team - everyone can keep pretending you can stick him in as a 10 or a CM but he hasn't actually played there.

You don’t think so…? Why did you go on to agree entirely with the premise?

El Jefe

First off Scholes was used correctly and very often for 95% of his England career. Carrick less so but lets not pretend he performed well when called up or didn't have serious competition for a midfield place.

I'm pretty sure Grealish would have started this tournament if not for his injury in the second half of the season. Plus its only in the last year Grealish has been good enough to warrant a starting spot in the England team.

A lot of unnecessary hysteria IMO.

Skills

Snitch
You don’t think so…? Why did you go on to agree entirely with the premise?
Because Carrick had a ready made role for him in that team. Just an inferior player was chosen in his place (Barry).

Same to a degree for Scholes.

tomaldinho1

Grealish - Greenwood - Sancho

Guess we’ll have to wait until Qatar to see it.

luke511

He didn't look that impressive when he came on and because he isn't starting, people are hyping him up as if he is prime Gascoigne or prime Rooney when he is not at either level. He is a very good player but he is no better than Sterling, Rashford or Sancho, who have all put up great numbers for the last few seasons.

Grealish is a good player but he is not going to be the saviour of the England national team. The way the commentators were hyping him up as he was coming on yesterday, it was as if prime Maradona was about to step onto the field. All the buzz about him before he came on and he was pretty average like every other England player.
He's better than Sterling and Rashford. I agree that the hyping has gone into overload but Southgate has been taking the piss, It's obvious he's got a grudge against him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
After all is said and done, he plays for Aston Villa! He needs to be playing at a higher level.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s not even the best attacker who isn’t being used in the team, man.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me it doesn’t make sense how you can play Foden on one side and not have Grealish on the other.

It’s like having 2 similar players giving the team some symmetry and shape.

Skills

Snitch
For me it doesn’t make sense how you can play Foden on one side and not have Grealish on the other.

How many teams set up like that? You've got no threat in behind, especially with Kane as your CF?.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's better than Sterling and Rashford, I agree that the hyping has gone into overload but Southgate has been taking the piss. It's obvious he's got a grudge against him.
I don't think he is. Rashford and Sterling have put up great numbers consistently with Rashford putting up the numbers from the left and is used to playing on the biggest stage. Grealish lacks experience on the biggest stage and has no where near Rashford numbers when both playing on the left. Grealish has great flair and draws a lot of fouls so people are hyping him up to be better than he actually is. I would rather a player on the left that puts up good numbers rather than looking creative.

His drawing of fouls is constantly being praised but I think it should be the other round and get criticised. Due to him holding the ball for too long to purposely get the foul just slows down attacks. It might be useful for Villa but for a team wanting to be at the top, releasing the ball late to look for a free kick constantly is more wasteful than not.

He is obviously a good player but I think he is way over rated.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

I would rather see Rashford and Sancho on either side. They are much faster and would suit England much better especially after the way England have been looking to play the last 2 games.

Ludens the Red

He has played as a ten for Villa shitloads. Probably for most of his time there.

luke511

I don't think he is. Rashford and Sterling have put up great numbers consistently with Rashford putting up the numbers from the left and is used to playing on the biggest stage. Grealish lacks experience on the biggest stage and has no where near Rashford numbers when both playing on the left. Grealish has great flair and draws a lot of fouls so people are hyping him up to be better than he actually is. I would rather a player on the left that puts up good numbers rather than looking creative.

His drawing of fouls is constantly being praised but I think it should be the other round and get criticised. Due to him holding the ball for too long to purposely get the foul just slows down attacks. It might be useful for Villa but for a team wanting to be at the top, releasing the ball late to look for a free kick constantly is more wasteful than not.

He is obviously a good player but I think he is way over rated.
Fair dos. I have Rashford as the most inconsistent player in the league personally so I naturally put Grealish above him in terms of being reliable. Sterling puts in the numbers but I see Grealish as the more technically gifted player. I think Grealish in City's team would at least match Sterling's stats.

Oranges038

First off Scholes was used correctly and very often for 95% of his England career. Carrick less so but lets not pretend he performed well when called up or didn't have serious competition for a midfield place.

I'm pretty sure Grealish would have started this tournament if not for his injury in the second half of the season. Plus its only in the last year Grealish has been good enough to warrant a starting spot in the England team.

A lot of unnecessary hysteria IMO.

Yeah, I think it was Euro 2004 where he was shoved out left wing for the whole thing and that's pretty much why people think he played there all the time for England.

Unnecessary hysteria and the English national team go hand in hand every tournament.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
England’s biggest problem has always been ball retention. To have a player who is a magnet to the ball and prefer Sterling and Rashford, who despite being very effective at times can lose the ball so easily, proves they’re going down the same road again. Against the big teams they will get found out.

Although the midfield is the bigger issue - they don’t have a player who can run a game. Even Scotland did last night with Billy Gilmore and other nations have better players than him. Semi-finals is England’s peak again.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Fair dos. I have Rashford as the most inconsistent player in the league personally so I naturally put Grealish above him in terms of being reliable. Sterling puts in the numbers but I see Grealish as the more technically gifted player. I think Grealish in City's team would at least match Sterling's stats.
:lol: what an absolute crock of shit

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Way too simplistic, but I agree in part. There's no problem with having Grealish on the left, but it needs a winger/wide forward on the right. Sterling, I think, is supposed to offer that but that's not his game these days. He prefers to be much narrower.

Bebestation

:lol:

luke511

:lol: what an absolute crock of shit
Going off this season I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement. The amount of times he's had a shocking game but come away with a goal to mask the performance.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
2020/21 Games 57 Goals 21 Assists 15
2019/21 Games 44 Goals 22 Assists 11

Them stats are brilliant for an 'inconsistent player'. Not to mention some games he was either playing through injury or was rushed back from injury too fast thus being unfit. The criticism of him is unfair.

Varun

Staff
He should be starting on the left and Kane should be playing like a striker. Even in the current setup, he should be the #10 but tbh, it won't solve much because you have Kane pretending to be Messi.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Going off this season I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement. The amount of times he's had a shocking game but come away with a goal to mask the performance.
That could be said about Ronaldo at times. Rashford is 23 for crying out loud. His numbers are unreal for his age.

Bebestation

Rice/Phillips - Mount
Foden - Grealish - Sancho/Rash
Kane​

personally I find Kane to be the problem.

Bebestation

And then there is people getting wet over damn Lukaku :lol:

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
No he's the new Joe Cole. Talented but there are better players than him so he is not a regular. Also a bit overhyped.

luke511

2020/21 Games 57 Goals 21 Assists 15
2019/21 Games 44 Goals 22 Assists 11

Them stats are brilliant for an 'inconsistent player'. Not to mention some games he was either playing through injury or was rushed back from injury too fast thus being unfit. The criticism of him is unfair.
The only periods he's been consistent on a performance level was when he first joined the senior team and the few months before he got his back injury. Outside of those periods he's been an inconsistent player, I'm not saying he's a bad player.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The only periods he's been consistent was when he first joined the senior team and the few months before he got his back injury. Outside of those periods he's been an inconsistent player on a performance level, I'm not saying he's a bad player.
You’re talking absolute nonsense.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Against the weaker sides you don’t need 2 sitting.

———-—Rice———
——Foden-Mount—
Sancho-Kane-Grealish

Would’ve got the job done last night.

Carl

It's a crock of shit because there's no possible way you could make that statement on any kind of reasonable authority.

I'd wager you've watched most, if not all, Man Utd games this season. Can you say the same for Brighton? Leeds? Arsenal? WBA?

I'd also argue he hasn't been inconsistent week to week. He's been consistently good and consistently bad. But that's another thing.

Carl

Against the weaker sides you don’t need 2 sitting.

———-—Rice———
——Foden-Mount—
Sancho-Kane-Grealish

Would’ve got the job done last night.
Yep. And exactly why I don't understand the clamour from United fans to sign Rice. Rice with Fred or McSauce will not improve us.

neverdie

Grealish is closer to Beckham in style of play than Carrick or Scholes. England should be playing Grealish, Rashford/Sancho, and Kane in advanced spots with Bellingham, Mount and Rice/Phillips in midfield. 433/451.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why not try out a diamond?
A midfield 4 of Rice, Foden, Mount and Grealish. And Rashford-Kane up top.

Sterling as an impact sub.