Is Harry Kane better than Rooney?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think it was Robin van Persie who described himself and Rooney as ‘9.5s’, both capable of leading the line but also dropping deep and being that creator as well. It’s how I’d describe Kane.

His passing with both feet is phenomenal, his awareness and he racks up assists. His hold up play is top notch. He really plays like a complete forward.

Rooney was a fantastic all round attacking player, he had his issues with form and fitness but he could do it all on his day…but is Kane better? Would current Spurs fans want Rooney in their team or stick with Kane?

How do the rest of us see it?

The Oracle

Rooney was better in my opinion.

I would describe Rooney as spectacular. I mean as well as his goal scoring feats, look at how many times he won goal of the season as well*

*For anyone wondering he won Match of the Day's goal of the season award on 3 occasions (2004-05, 2006-07, 2010-11) and the year that Van Persie won it (2012-13), Rooney provided the assist :)

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Sorry to answer the question with a question, but would Harry Kane be putting up similar numbers to Ronaldo and Messi if he played for their respective teams? Would he be mentioned as one of the best players of all time like those two if he had prime Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquets behind him? Or prime Modric and Kroos along with being in teams that dominated their league (or at least came second), as opposed to the players he has played with.

L1nk

A better goal scorer I think. A better overall player? No. It's likely he's going to overtake him within the next 2 seasons in highest scoring Premier League players though and he's been in a crappy Spurs team, so it's some feat really

No simply because he has wasted his career at Tottenham. You really have to play with the best players and win the big trophies if you ever want to be remembered as an all time great

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Both are fantastic players but I think Kane benefits hugely being central focus at Spurs. He's fantastic at dropping deep and also scoring, probably better than Rooney, but Wayne's determination made him a much more dangerous all-round attacker (so capable playing wide and in the middle).

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Rooney for me, but Kane is pretty much nailed on to beat his PL and International records, bar some freak injury or move abroad

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Easy to forget how good Rooney was from 2004-10, special player!

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Whilst he is better than last year, do you not think he isn't the player he was?
No, he’s still class. Getting him would be elevate us…although I doubt he’d move unless we’re in the CL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Quite possibly. He’s gone to another level in the last two years. The media certainly love him a lot more than Rooney.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
No simply because he has wasted his career at Tottenham. You really have to play with the best players and win the big trophies if you ever want to be remembered as an all time great
Don’t agree with this logic. Trophies are obviously a big deal, but you wouldn’t say Gerrard is worse than Darron Gibson given Gibson won a lot more trophies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Early Rooney was a wonder kid and genuine force of nature, Kane is nothing of the sort, but has a great goals record.

If Kane hadn't scored a few recently, we wouldn't even have this thread, after half a season looking like end days Rooney!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Easy to forget how good Rooney was from 2004-10, special player!
This is the key. If people are comparing latter day Rooney with current Kane that's more of a discussion, especially on Kane's first half of season showing!

cyberman

Rooney. Kane is good at dropping deep but his output suffers because of it. Rooney was better at being a playmaker and straddled that line a lot better than Kane has

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Rooney.

Kane is probably England best no.9 since Shearer, but Rooney at one point is England's hope.

Kane would be better goalscorer, but Rooney is easily the better all round player too.

Don’t agree with this logic. Trophies are obviously a big deal, but you wouldn’t say Gerrard is worse than Darron Gibson given Gibson won a lot more trophies.
Fair point, I agree actually so I take that back. Although I can’t help but say that is a bad example as Gerrard captained Liverpool to win the champions league :) but I understand exactly what you mean.

I still keep my point about needing to play with the best players though. Gerrard fulfilled his potential in terms of assists and goals because he got to play alongside greats like Torres, Alonso and Suarez. Kane hasn’t had the chance to play with better players that would of taken him to another level.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rooney was much better than Kane in my biased opinion

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I certainly wouldn't swap peak Rooney for peak Kane but I get those who'll do.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nonsense take that thankfully is relegated to pubs and barbershops

Anyway, to the question of the thread, Rooney. Not because of his trophy count (that's silly and would mean Fletcher > Gerrard), but because his peak as a 9.5/10 from 07-11, exceeds that of Kane IMO. It's not far apart, there's a valid argument for Kane. He's been phenomenal for Spurs.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rooney 04-10 was one of the best. He tailed off at an alarming rate from 10-16, which might taint people’s opinion of him but at his peak he was better imo.

Nonsense take that thankfully is relegated to pubs and barbershops

Anyway, to the question of the thread, Rooney. Not because of his trophy count (that's silly and would mean Fletcher > Gerrard), but because his peak as a 9.5/10 from 07-11, exceeds that of Kane IMO.
:lol: I agree, I changed my mind. Trophies aren’t necessary to be considered great as your point proves.

However, surely him not playing in the biggest games in the world such as the champions league, impacts his legacy and personal record? Those are the games where legends and moments are born and remembered forever, no one remembers a boring race for the top 4 with Tottenham.

youngrell

Not for me. I rate Kane highly, he is a good all-round forward and a better goalscorer than Rooney was.

However, we've witnessed Kane get pocketed by the likes of Smalling on more than a few occasions, while Rooney was the man for the big moment and produced no matter the opposition. He was a level above.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No. Prime Rooney was unplayable at his peak and did everything well, but the main difference is between the two is Rooney had elite pace and strength. I'm taking prime Rooney without hesitation.

Righteous Steps

Rooney was more exciting more dynamic, and burst onto the scene as one of the best teenagers we have seen in world football.

But when you look closer I don’t think there is that great of a gap, I would take Rooney because he is more adaptable, dynamic can play other positions and more likely to create magic out of nowhere, but Kansa game is nearly as well rounded without being as explosive. Certainly no great height between the two, if Kane had been winning trophies to go with his stats and play people wouldn’t be saying what there saying in terms of there being a great gap between the two, or maybe it’s just nostalgia and club bias?

Either way Rooney for me.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People will consider the Rooney from 2011-2016 who was never as consistently good as Kane has been but Rooney in his peak was definitely a better player.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Put this Kane in that Utd side Rooney was a part of and he'd regularly score 30 goals a season, I reckon. Maybe I'm underestimating how good Rooney was because it's a long time ago, but I don't think Kane instead of Rooney would be detrimental to that squad.