Is Harry Kane better than Rooney?

432JuanMata

Sorry for being late i was away for a bit but I think it's fair to say kane is the better striker? He has the numbers backing him up as well. not to degrade Wayne either as I clearly believe him to be the better footballer overall.
I’m with you on this don’t know why people would disagree on this as Kane is a better #9 just worse all round

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I’m with you on this don’t know why people would disagree on this as Kane is a better #9 just worse all round
Yeah and it's not really a fair comparison either, kane was a striker his whole life with the physique to go with it , he had all the time time to hone his skill set around that specific specialty while rooney just had to play there either because of injuries as a make shift choice or because we were so badly miss managed in the transfer windows.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Where did this debate even start? If we want to go with the multiverse theory, I couldn't imagine there being any universe in which Kane was better than Rooney? How many people would actually have Kane in their team over Rooney, if they had to choose one only?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Where did this debate even start? If we want to go with the multiverse theory, I couldn't imagine there being any universe in which Kane was better than Rooney? How many people would actually have Kane in their team over Rooney, if they had to choose one only?
Depends on which forum you are asking this question on. I'd be interested to know from neutral forums, there is not much point asking this on a Tottenham forum, just like there is not much point asking it here on a Man Utd forum. I mean people on here are picking Rooney over Benzema.

People just remember the young phenomenal Rooney from around 05/06 to 11/12 and seem to want to apply that to his whole career. They kind of forget the 12/13 to 17/18 Rooney, and just have selective amnesia, remembering fondly the rare good / great moment and forgetting the long periods of average to poor play.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Depends on which forum you are asking this question on. I'd be interested to know from neutral forums, there is not much point asking this on a Tottenham forum, just like there is not much point asking it here on a Man Utd forum. I mean people on here are picking Rooney over Benzema.

People just remember the young phenomenal Rooney from around 05/06 to 11/12 and seem to want to apply that to his whole career. They kind of forget the 12/13 to 17/18 Rooney, and just have selective amnesia, remembering fondly the rare good / great moment and forgetting the long periods of average to poor play.
Benzema and Rooney are similar in the sense that they sacrificed goals for playing as second fiddle to Ronaldo.

Both of them better than Harry Kane as footballers, no doubts about it.

Harry Kane the better goalscorer, not the better player

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The fact that he is compared Rooney alone means that he has been at the wrong club all this time.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Kane better footballer then Rooney? Seriously. It’s not even a debate

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Kane better footballer then Rooney? Seriously. It’s not even a debate
In what sense?

Kane is a better goalscorer no doubt. Overall as a footballer I'd take Rooney every day over Kane.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

What about all the periods where Kane has gone missing for Spurs. That peak Rooney period alone you mentioned is more than enough to overshadow anything that Kane has done his whole career. People seem to have that selective amnesia with Kane too.

In what sense?

Kane is a better goalscorer no doubt. Overall as a footballer I'd take Rooney every day over Kane.
On what planet? You can't even give Kane that one. There's no way he's been a better goalscorer than Rooney.

amolbhatia50k

What about all the periods where Kane has gone missing for Spurs. That peak Rooney period alone you mentioned is more than enough to overshadow anything that Kane has done his whole career. People seem to have that selective amnesia with Kane too.

On what planet? You can't even give Kane that one. There's no way he's been a better goalscorer than Rooney.
Doesn't he consistently score more than Rooney? Either way Rooney was definitely the better footballer for me.

Charlie Foley

I don't think Kane is edging anywhere near the top 10 and i'm struggling to think why you do, his closest comparison is Shearer, and while being a talisman for an underdog team, he hasn't been able to take Spurs over the line like Shearer did for Newcastle.
Beyond that, his performances in the CL aren't memorable, most of his international goals have come when it doesn't really matter (in qualifying matches), and while he's a better playmaker than the average striker, he's lacking in so many areas in comparison to the players I listed that he doesn't come close.

I don't know many people who would say Kane has had a better PL career than the names I listed above, club tribalism aside.
What line did Shearer take Newcastle over?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Doesn't he consistently score more than Rooney? Either way Rooney was definitely the better footballer for me.
More penalties, probably yeah, but a better goalscorer? Not even close. Put Aguero in the mix and we have a conversation, but Kane? Sorry, no. Not saying he's been rubbish or anything like that cause he'd be great for United but I"m not having him compared to Rooney. Even Son's a better goalscorer than Kane.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'll never rate Kane for his individual achievements in the game because he's done feck all in terms of trophies. Rooney has had to sacrifice his individual numbers and accolades to adjust his game in order to win trophies. I have a lot of respect for that because I believe football is a team game.

Rooney often had to change his game for other players. The season after Ronaldo left, he put up prolific numbers. What happened that season? United won feck all. Just like Spurs with Kane. Maybe in a world where Fergie grew tired of winning trophies, he'd have decided ok there's no need to improve upon this, let's just have Rooney be the focal point and he can continue improving his individual numbers. But Fergie (and Rooney, it has to be said) wants to win trophies. If that means making adjustments at the expense of individual numbers, then so be it.

Kane should've moved 3-4 years ago to be honest. Just stopped signing contract extensions with Spurs. He'd have been hitting his stride in his peak at a serious club like Real Madrid, City or even Bayern Munich. I don't include United in that list, Spurs fans, just in case what I'm saying here rubs you guys the wrong way.

amolbhatia50k

More penalties, probably yeah, but a better goalscorer? Not even close. Put Aguero in the mix and we have a conversation, but Kane? Sorry, no. Not saying he's been rubbish or anything like that cause he'd be great for United but I"m not having him compared to Rooney. Even Son's a better goalscorer than Kane.
I mean, it would be better to post the stats when we're discussing goalscoring otherwise it's pointless. But I don't want to spend time arguing in favour of Kane. I rate Rooney much higher as a footballer. Plus I suppose Rooney is one of those players who could have been anything really. If he wanted to be a CF like Aguero focusing mainly on goals he could have been. But he was the type to be involved in everything and we had Ronaldo and before that RVP as goalscorers.

Could Harry Kane produce historic moments of brilliance like the bicycle kick that Rooney did against Man City? I think he’s a level below Rooney

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If I was picking one of them to play his whole career for us….Rooney. It’s not even really a question. He offers so much more than Kane. Rooney was different class to Kane as a player.

amolbhatia50k

You're right on that bolded bit.

My point about Fergie being the only reason for the difference in the trophy count, still stands.
Let''s also not forget that it wasn't easy for us to win 5 titles in 7 seasons. It's not as if Fergie snapped his fingers and we dominated. Rooney was an enormous part of our success and helping Ronaldo, Tevez and co contribute more. And Chelsea (at end City too) were a formidable opponent - it wasn't as if we were running away with it every year. Margins were slim and any drop off from Rio/VIdic/Rooney/Ronaldo could swing things the other way.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'll never rate Kane for his individual achievements in the game because he's done feck all in terms of trophies. Rooney has had to sacrifice his individual numbers and accolades to adjust his game in order to win trophies. I have a lot of respect for that because I believe football is a team game.

Rooney often had to change his game for other players. The season after Ronaldo left, he put up prolific numbers. What happened that season? United won feck all. Just like Spurs with Kane. Maybe in a world where Fergie grew tired of winning trophies, he'd have decided ok there's no need to improve upon this, let's just have Rooney be the focal point and he can continue improving his individual numbers. But Fergie (and Rooney, it has to be said) wants to win trophies. If that means making adjustments at the expense of individual numbers, then so be it.

Kane should've moved 3-4 years ago to be honest. Just stopped signing contract extensions with Spurs. He'd have been hitting his stride in his peak at a serious club like Real Madrid, City or even Bayern Munich. I don't include United in that list, Spurs fans, just in case what I'm saying here rubs you guys the wrong way.
To be fair we may as well finished the season with a prem and ucl double as we barely gave it away to Chelsea and there was that debacle with Munich in the quarter finals.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
To be fair we may as well finished the season with a prem and ucl double as we barely gave it away to Chelsea and there was that debacle with Munich in the quarter finals.
I still don't understand how we lost that Bayern tie. Cracking goal from Robben. How often we were screwed by the away goal in Fergie's era.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You're right on that bolded bit.

My point about Fergie being the only reason for the difference in the trophy count, still stands.
Funnily enough though, if you take away every trophy that Rooney won under Ferguson (and there are a lot), he still has more trophies than Kane.

Kane will be 29 soon and he's never won a trophy of any kind. We all know it's a team game, but that is not good. I'm struggling to think of another top player who's taken that long to get started. Maybe you guys can remind me of some?

It's one thing to be Matt Le Tissier plugging away at Southampton (yes he was once a footballer before he became a full time conspiracy theorist), but Spurs (and England) are actually big enough to win things and they've come close several times.

Dare one argue that Kane hasn't turned up on these occasions, whether it be in the Euros final, the Champions League final or the couple of League Cup finals? They also had a shot to win the league but Leicester won it instead.

If Jamie Vardy can win trophies at Leicester then we might be making a few too many excuses for Harry Kane? Just a thought.

Reactions: Penna

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Dare one argue that Kane hasn't turned up on these occasions, whether it be in the Euros final, the Champions League final or the couple of League Cup finals? They also had a shot to win the league but Leicester won it instead.
I agree with you on this.

A lot of people take away Rooneys trophies in this argument and I think it's unfair because Rooney made the decision to leave in search of those trophies (he made a contribution to all of them too) which IMO displays a winning mentality that Kane hasn't displayed.

Rooney left his comfort zone in search of Silverware while Kane stayed and waited for it to be handed to him. (Because when the opportunity to take it was presented he didn't)

I used Gerrard as an example of a player who won big silverware with mediocre team mates (vs Rooney at United) earlier because I believe he and Rooney share that winning characteristic that is absent in Kane and a major contributing factor to his lack of trophies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I still don't understand how we lost that Bayern tie. Cracking goal from Robben. How often we were screwed by the away goal in Fergie's era.
On top of my mind there is the levurkusun and Monaco debacle as well , plus the porto travesty that lunched mourhinios career, in all those years we had a very decent chance to go all the way especially in 2001 and 4.(not counting all the times we somehow managed to screw ourselves like the dourtmound tie)

Xanther

A lot of people take away Rooneys trophies in this argument and I think it's unfair because Rooney made the decision to leave in search of those trophies (he made a contribution to all of them too) which IMO displays a winning mentality that Kane hasn't displayed.

Rooney left his comfort zone in search of Silverware while Kane stayed and waited for it to be handed to him. (Because when the opportunity to take it was presented he didn't)

I used Gerrard as an example of a player who won big silverware with mediocre team mates (vs Rooney at United) earlier because I believe he and Rooney share that winning characteristic that is absent in Kane and a major contributing factor to his lack of trophies.
Waited for it to be handed to him? Surely Kane and Rooney are unfair comparisons. Everton were financially and trophy-wise, nobodies. 18-year old Rooney joining a Fergie-led club was always going to end up winning a few things. Kane grew up at Tottenham at a time their level was good enough to have a glimmer of hope/reason to stick around, the leveling of the financial power in the PL meant Tottenham could afford to pay him really well, and crucially have the muscle to block a transfer. See summer 2021. Everybody already knows how famous Levy is for this

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
No, what has Kane won? Has he dragged his team to trophies and been the catalyst for it?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Absolutely. If you can't win where you are, go somewhere where you can win. Because if you don't, the absence of trophies will become your legacy when you retire. You've got to have some ambition if you have the ability to get to the top. Especially in today's game which is much less insular now. The focus is not just on the best in England, but the best everywhere. That's your competition.

Tavern in the town

Rooney is the only player in the history of the league with 200+ goals and 100+ assists so as it stands Kane has work to do. That being said I don’t think it’s as outrageous a question as people are making it to be and Kane could definitely be seen as the better player by the time he retires. Taking Shearer’s record will do wonders for his legacy.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Waited for it to be handed to him? Surely Kane and Rooney are unfair comparisons. Everton were financially and trophy-wise, nobodies. 18-year old Rooney joining a Fergie-led club was always going to end up winning a few things. Kane grew up at Tottenham at a time their level was good enough to have a glimmer of hope/reason to stick around, the leveling of the financial power in the PL meant Tottenham could afford to pay him really well, and crucially have the muscle to block a transfer. See summer 2021. Everybody already knows how famous Levy is for this
Well the whole premise of the thread is the question "Is Kane better than Rooney" therefore comparison is inevitable.

Their goal contributions are being compared so I think their trophy haul should also be compared.

"18-year old Rooney joining a Fergie-led club was always going to end up winning a few things. "

Ferguson signing the 18 year old Rooney also ensured that Manchester United were going to win a few things too.

This is the Crux of my whole argument really , there seems to be this need to mention Kane's handicap (Not having a top top team around him, though good enough to win a cup IMO he just didn't grasp it when the opportunity arose) around his trophy cabinet while simultaneously discounting Rooneys contribution to his own haul.

Rooney had everything that Kane had (Plus a higher Peak) but he also had a win at all costs mentality that makes him superior IMO.

That's not to say Kane is bad, he's a top class player. He just isn't as good as Wayne Rooney.

This is all speculation but I feel that if you put Rooneys mentality in Kanes body he probably wins something at Spurs before Kanes big contract extension in 2018 or leaves.

The money was never Rooneys driving force , winning was.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Rooney is the only player in the history of the league with 200+ goals and 100+ assists so as it stands Kane has work to do. That being said I don’t think it’s as outrageous a question as people are making it to be and Kane could definitely be seen as the better player by the time he retires. Taking Shearer’s record will do wonders for his legacy.
Kane will never be seen as the better player in my view because he's simply not a better player. And that will stay the same even if he breaks Shearer's record. Shearer is not a better player than Rooney either.