Is Harry Kane better than Rooney?

arnie_ni

Kane just last season had the most assists and most goals in the league, in fact Kane is far more than a poacher and closer to the likes of Benzema RVP who drop deep and play the number 10 role, Rooneys dynamism allowed him to play more positions but I think we’re underrating Kane’s all round game here maybe because he is a slow oaf who doesn’t look to special doing what he does, but he can pass with the best of them in this league has a wonderful touch as well as score goals.

I would take Rooney as well I think most would but can’t agree with the claims Kane is either a level below or for example Rooney is the greatest pl player after Ronaldo or ‘carries’ United, none of this never really happened, and to be a level above Kane you’ll probably looking at Messi and CR7 levels.
just because kane leads the league in assists doesn't make them comparable.

Could you honestly look at our mid to late 2000s team with Ronaldo at the helm and say that we'd have been better with kane than Rooney?

Rooney was like an extra midfielder off the ball, a 10 and 9 with the ball all in one. It's not a slight on kane. I think kane is the 2nd best striker in the PL behind Shearer, I just don't think there is many players in world football you could compare to Rooney in regards to style of play.

Righteous Steps

You think Kane is a top 10 PL player?
Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, Henry, Shearer, Viera, Ferdinand, Vidic, RVP, Ronaldo, Berkamp, Salah, Aguero, Kompany, Cole, Terry, Hazard - and thats just thinking off the top of my head for about 30 seconds.

You seriously think Kane's PL career is better than most of those names, and is comparable to what Rooney has accomplished?
He's a top 30 player, closer to 30.
Hes edging closer to the top 10, probably about 15-20 or so there’s been so many great players a lot of them are around the same cluster on second thought I would take most of those names above Kane but some could be above Rooney also. I think just at United alone Ronaldo Keane Cantona Ferdinand Scholes Giggs arguably.

Henry is number 1 after that there are host of players who could fill up the rest of the 10 with not too much argument, Kane would be just outside these group of players, I’m trying not to have his lack of honours go against him and just judge him on the fact he has had about 5 great seasons in this league including one he had a goal a game 29 in 30 and last season where he was both top scorer and assist maker, how many on that list can claim that apart from Henry?

Righteous Steps

Could you honestly look at our mid to late 2000s team with Ronaldo at the helm and say that we'd have been better with kane than Rooney?

Rooney was like an extra midfielder off the ball, a 10 and 9 with the ball all in one. It's not a slight on kane. I think kane is the 2nd best striker in the PL behind Shearer, I just don't think there is many players in world football you could compare to Rooney in regards to style of play.
I’m trying to say Kane is way more than a poacher. Kane himself is like a 9 and 10 at the same time, he couldn’t play like Rooney because he doesn’t have he natural athleticism engine and explosion which makes Rooney a better player but there is a reason why Guardiola wanted him so much, he is the perfect number 9 who can drop deep create chances link play and press from the front.

But yeah I’m arguing a bit too much for someone who considers Rooney a better player, I think in these arguments though the newer player will never win, as nostalgia and faded memories leave you with the best parts of said player that came before.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Hes edging closer to the top 10, probably about 15-20 or so there’s been so many great players a lot of them are around the same cluster on second thought I would take most of those names above Kane but some could be above Rooney also. I think just at United alone Ronaldo Keane Cantona Ferdinand Scholes Giggs arguably.

Henry is number 1 after that there are host of players who could fill up the rest of the 10 with not too much argument, Kane would be just outside these group of players, I’m trying not to have his lack of honours go against him and just judge him on the fact he has had about 5 great seasons in this league including one he had a goal a game 29 in 30 and last season where he was both top scorer and assist maker, how many on that list can claim that apart from Henry?
I don't think Kane is edging anywhere near the top 10 and i'm struggling to think why you do, his closest comparison is Shearer, and while being a talisman for an underdog team, he hasn't been able to take Spurs over the line like Shearer did for Newcastle.
Beyond that, his performances in the CL aren't memorable, most of his international goals have come when it doesn't really matter (in qualifying matches), and while he's a better playmaker than the average striker, he's lacking in so many areas in comparison to the players I listed that he doesn't come close.

I don't know many people who would say Kane has had a better PL career than the names I listed above, club tribalism aside.

arnie_ni

I’m trying to say Kane is way more than a poacher. Kane himself is like a 9 and 10 at the same time, he couldn’t play like Rooney because he doesn’t have he natural athleticism engine and explosion which makes Rooney a better player but there is a reason why Guardiola wanted him so much, he is the perfect number 9 who can drop deep create chances link play and press from the front.

But yeah I’m arguing a bit too much for someone who considers Rooney a better player, I think in these arguments though the newer player will never win, as nostalgia and faded memories leave you with the best parts of said player that came before.
I agree with a lot of what your saying, I just think Rooney is massively under rated, and while Ronaldo was the best player in the world during those 3 years or so for us, I don't think the team is anywhere near as good if you swap out Rooney for virtually any other player in world football. He was pivotal to our success and if it wasnt for the massive decline he had in those last years, I'm not even sure this thread is created.

AFC NimbleThumb

The disrespect of Wayne Rooney from his own fanbase continues.

I’m coming to the conclusion we don’t deserve good players hence why we’ve been lumbered with Maguire.

arnie_ni

I’m coming to the conclusion we don’t deserve good players hence why we’ve been lumbered with Maguire.
I think is absolutely crazy and it's clearly blinded by the transfer request and the massive decline.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

There’s no need to be so precious. This is a forum. People discuss things.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To anyone who actually watched Rooney in his prime, the answer should be obvious.

AFC NimbleThumb

There’s no need to be so precious. This is a forum. People discuss things.
There is a reason when it comes to Wayne fecking Rooney lad. He’s not just a decent player he’s the epitome of a club legend. I just find it ridiculous how many anti-Rooney takes pop up on here. Look at how precious people got about OgS being a fan favourite but being called out for his managerial ineptitude then talk to me about people being allowed to discuss things on here.

I’m all for debate, this isn’t one.

I think is absolutely crazy and it's clearly blinded by the transfer request and the massive decline.
You’d think that watching the dross we have recently would make people step back & take note of what we once had but no the faux outrage overtakes calmer heads. I like Kane a lot but better than Rooney? Feck off.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

You mean just like Kane does? Which is why Pep wanted him.
I can understand the love and preference for Rooney who was a great talent (here especially being a United forum), but the way some people talk about him, you'll think he was regularly a top 3 or even top 5 ballon d'or candidate or often EPL player of the year candidate...

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Kane is a better striker, Rooney is a better player.

Rooney > Kane

arnie_ni

I can understand the love and preference for Rooney who was a great talent (here especially being a United forum), but the way some people talk about him, you'll think he was regularly a top 3 or even top 5 ballon d'or candidate or often EPL player of the year candidate...
Hes one of the best players in the history of the PL.

arnie_ni

No. Rooney was a monster everywhere on the pitch, a total clutch player, could spray passes with pinpoint accuracy, and was a ruthless finisher. Kane is a ruthless finisher.
In fairness he's a bit more than that but your answer is still the correct one

AFC NimbleThumb

If we’re basing things simply on EPL PotY then Ginola won it during the Treble season, what does that tell you?

He was regularly one of the best players on one of the leagues best sides & reached a peak very few have. It’s disingenuous to say, of course you’ll say that as United fans. He was Wayne bloody Rooney!

clonsolar

Yes. If Harry Kane had moved to City he would be incredible. Rooney played in some great United teams far better than current Spurs. The only level playing field is International and Kanes goals ratio is far better. Both always put in a serious shift for the team but Kane will have a longer career as his fitness is/was ahead of Rooneys.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rooney better pre 25 years of age.

Kane way better post 25 years of age.

Is how I'd describe it. Obviously vast gulf in trophies won (SAF would've been all over Kane instead of Van Persie if he'd come through five years earlier I bet) but not much in it considering Rooney was technically excellent at age of 16 while Kane had to work his way up and bide his time with a few loans.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes. If Harry Kane had moved to City he would be incredible. Rooney played in some great United teams far better than current Spurs. The only level playing field is International and Kanes goals ratio is far better. Both always put in a serious shift for the team but Kane will have a longer career as his fitness is/was ahead of Rooneys.
Hmmmm really? The appearance stats would disagree. I realise off course that Rooney had a long career whilst Kane is still going but he has had bad injuries the last few seasons and I would expect that as he gets older his games will become less. But as it stands, not much between them from an appearance point of view. I still insist Rooney at his peak is a better top drawer player than Kane. Harry’s goal scoring is extraordinary though, up there with Shearer

rooney stats
SeasonClubApps (Subs)GoalsMore
2017/2018Everton31 (4)10
2016/2017Man Utd25 (10)5
2015/2016Man Utd28 (1)8
2014/2015Man Utd33 (0)12
2013/2014Man Utd29 (2)17
2012/2013Man Utd27 (5)12
2011/2012Man Utd34 (2)27
2010/2011Man Utd28 (3)11
2009/2010Man Utd32 (0)26
2008/2009Man Utd30 (5)12
2007/2008Man Utd27 (2)12
2006/2007Man Utd35 (2)14
2005/2006Man Utd36 (0)16
2004/2005Man Utd29 (0)11
2004/2005Everton0 (0)0
2003/2004Everton34 (0)9
2002/2003Everton33 (0)6
Kane stats
SeasonClubApps (Subs)GoalsMore
2021/2022Spurs25 (1)10
2020/2021Spurs35 (0)23
2019/2020Spurs29 (0)18
2018/2019Spurs28 (1)17
2017/2018Spurs37 (2)30
2016/2017Spurs30 (1)29
2015/2016Spurs38 (0)25
2014/2015Spurs34 (6)21
2013/2014Spurs10 (4)3
2012/2013Norwich (Loan)3 (2)0
2012/2013Spurs1 (1)0
2011/2012Spurs0 (0)0
2010/2011Spurs0 (0)0
2009/2010Spurs0 (0)0

Blood Mage

Perhaps as a finisher, but Rooney was a comfortably better all-round footballer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Kane gets seriously underrated still. Personally i'd put him on the same level with Rooney, Drogba, RVP, peak Torres, De Bruyne and Bale. Only Henry, Cristiano, Suarez and maaaaaaybe, possibly Salah, above them

Dan_F

Those arguing Kane plays in a worse team, hence his goal scoring record is even more impressive, I’d disagree. Rooney sacrificed a lot of goals for the team. He could have easily had plenty more goals if he was played as the main striker for his whole career, not that it was even his best position.

The injuries really cut his peak short as well as his lifestyle, but damn, those years from 2004-2009 were incredible. It’s so easy to forget how he played early on at United. It’s almost surreal watching those highlights back in that Prime documentary recently.

Bondi77

I think it was Robin van Persie who described himself and Rooney as ‘9.5s’, both capable of leading the line but also dropping deep and being that creator as well. It’s how I’d describe Kane.

His passing with both feet is phenomenal, his awareness and he racks up assists. His hold up play is top notch. He really plays like a complete forward.

Rooney was a fantastic all round attacking player, he had his issues with form and fitness but he could do it all on his day…but is Kane better? Would current Spurs fans want Rooney in their team or stick with Kane?

How do the rest of us see it?
His passing with both feet is phenomenal???? :lol: :lol:

Bondi77

Kane gets seriously underrated still. Personally i'd put him on the same level with Rooney, Drogba, RVP, peak Torres, De Bruyne and Bale. Only Henry, Cristiano, Suarez and maaaaaaybe, possibly Salah, above them
Aguero was better than what Kane is now......Premier league wise.

clonsolar

Rooney had 10/11 top seasons. Kane is already on 8 and is 28 Years old. I can imagine Harry Kane having 7/8 more top seasons. Similar to someone like Zlatan. The one thing I do see for sure is that Kane is entering his prime years now whilst Rooney was declining at 28/29. Kane just seems to be getting better (despite his fallout post City move earlier this season). I've been blown away by his performances lately.

Smores

Nah, Rooneys engine and the fact he was better on the ball easily tips it in his favour.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
If we’re basing things simply on EPL PotY then Ginola won it during the Treble season, what does that tell you?

He was regularly one of the best players on one of the leagues best sides & reached a peak very few have. It’s disingenuous to say, of course you’ll say that as United fans. He was Wayne bloody Rooney!
That he was very good that season.

Aguero was better than what Kane is now......Premier league wise.
He damn sure wasn't.

padr81

Supports
Man City
People underrate Rooney because of how badly he faded so early but prime Rooney is above Kane by a distance and thats no slight on Kane. Rooney was among the best of the best of his generation. Kane might be but never got the chance at the biggest clubs. Rooney kinda happened before Ronnie and Messi though so standards are much higher now. Not that Rooney wasn't great after that too but the level on which best players are judged changed (one only Lewa has reached since)

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think Harry Kane is an absolutely brilliant footballer but he doesn't touch Rooney.

Wayne Rooney was a force of Nature at his peak, he willed his team to Victory and sacrificed his own game to make sure that the team won.

Some people will excuse Kane's lack of silverware due to the fact that he stayed at Tottenham but I think it's much worse than that, I think Kane lacks the "win at all costs" mentality that someone like Rooney has (Which is why he moved from his Boyhood club, to win) or even someone like Gerrard (who dragged worse Liverpool teams than Pochettinos Spurs to silverware) had.