Is Harry Kane England's sacred cow?

romufc

I rather see Kane quiet in the first game than in the later parts of the tournament. Every winning team starts the tournament slow and finds rhythm later on.

I feel the setup doesnt help him, he needs players running in behind as Kane likes to come to feet alot of times

OleBoiii

Looks more like a horse to me.

What's the proper term for that? Trophy Horse?

simplyared

He did play like a scared cow to be fair.

Probably lost some value on the cattle market
Sacred cow meaning:
an idea, custom, or institution held to be above criticism.
It's known as a metaphor.
Often you can use metaphors to make your subject more relatable to the reader.
Obviously didn't work in your case :lol:

Last edited:

I don't think he suits England's style very well, he wasn't great in 2018 either and the goal tally glosses over that most of the goals were penalties or deflections.

He has to play because he's our best player but there are similar reasons why i don't want him at United.

redshaw

Sacred cow meaning:
an idea, custom, or institution held to be above criticism.
It's known as a metaphor.
Often you can use metaphors to make your subject more relatable to the reader.
Obviously didn't work in your case :lol:
Wooosshh

Deary me. I would've thought the second line would've helped even the most slow, I guess not.

lex talionis

I bet when Rooney was the sacred cow, you didn't complain.
Quite a few people here actually did complain about Rooney's last 5-6 seasons with United and England. Rightly so, in my view. This isn't the the Wayne Rooney thread so I won't go into detail, but there was a noticeable deterioration in Rooney's overall play during his last 5, maybe 6 seasons which had many here mocking his "undroppable" status in the eyes of the United manager at the time, Louis Van Gaal.

But back to Harry Kane. Of course he's brilliant, England's best CF without any question. He had a poor game, which by itself is no basis for being dropped the next game. The thread title is drama queen stuff but it's not unreasonable to ask whether Kane has become for Southgate "undroppable", regardless of whether he puts in 3 or 4 games straight -- which to be clear has not happened. But if he does put in 3 or 4 poor matches and England are in the SF, it will be interesting to see whether Southgate sticks with Kane because he is undroppable or whether he has the balls to go with someone else at CF.

In contrast, Luke Shaw had a brilliant season and as far I know was fit to play yesterday. Yet not only did Southgate drop Shaw, he dropped him for a player who doesn't even play LB. England got the win so all is well, but it was curious to see England's clear top LB be dropped for a backup RB, who quite frankly didn't look all that impressive (although I support bringing him to United to provide cover for AWB).

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Wow! 28 ….get him a Zimmer frame
Some players age quicker than others though, I mean Wayne Rooney was pretty much finished at 30, wasn't he?

With Kane, he has had a lot of football in a short space of time (cos of covid-19), after the Euros he gets a few weeks off, but no doubt not relaxing ones as his future is to be decided. Then its the next season and a Qatar World Cup, he could be burnt out by 2023/24.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Calling it now, he'll have a poor EURO. I don't expect much from him in the next games. The odd goal here and there against the likes of Scotland and Czech Republic and then shit when the going gets tough in the knockout phase.

Wilt

Some players age quicker than others though, I mean Wayne Rooney was pretty much finished at 30, wasn't he?

With Kane, he has had a lot of football in a short space of time (cos of covid-19), after the Euros he gets a few weeks off, but no doubt not relaxing ones as his future is to be decided. Then its the next season and a Qatar World Cup, he could be burnt out by 2023/24.
He’s actually still only 27 and physically nothing like Rooney.

He’s easily England’s best player and regarded by many as one of the best strikers in the world. Provided he remains in England, he’s strongly tipped to beat Shearers prem record and most likely Rooney’s England record.

Kane is valued at over £100m and wanted by City, Chelsea and Utd, none of which would touch him with a barge pole if they thought he’d be burnt out by 2023/24.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Kane is valued at over £100m and wanted by City, Chelsea and Utd, none of which would touch him with a barge pole if they thought he’d be burnt out by 2023/24.
Well he looked burnt out by 20:23, tonight - how many touches did he have?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For all his goalscoring and praise by seemingly everyone, I can't escape the fact quite often that he looks like a lumbering carthorse.

I would be a bit worried if we went mad sums in on him. Then watch in horror as he's on the half way line most of the game trying to spray Rooney esque 30 yarders.

El Zoido

He’s absolutely shite for England. Was crap in the WC too, just scored a load of penalties.

The Oracle

Beginning to think his past ankle injuries have finally caught up with him. Shame really as he is only 27

Cockney-Red

For all his goalscoring and praise by seemingly everyone, I can't escape the fact quite often that he looks like a lumbering carthorse.

I would be a bit worried if we went mad sums in on him. Then watch in horror as he's on the half way line most of the game trying to spray Rooney esque 30 yarders.

He actually reminds me of Rooney in a worrying way. Trying to play the second Striker role instead of being a true number 9 and actually threatening the other team

Hammondo

Completely disrupts the tempo of play. England should drop Sterling and Kane and try Rashford and Grealish/Sancho. More dynamic and actually would suit the style better
Rashford isn't playing well enough either, he's got the same linkup problems.

siw2007

Really sluggish start to the Euros. Doesn’t look physically in good enough shape. I’m pretty sure he will start against Czech but if he puts in another lacklustre display then maybe there is a decision to make.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Il admit he looked shite, but that midfield done the square root of feck all. The squad is hyped as any England squad is, the way the commentators were talking about Grealish you could have swore Kaka was coming on :lol:.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Il admit he looked shite, but that midfield done the square root of feck all.
Yeah, what he really needs is the creative genius of Højbjerg and Harry Winks behind him to properly shine.

Idxomer

He scored only 2 goals in his last 11 games for England, one of them is from a penalty.

Renegade

Im 100% sure this is how he’d look
If he signed for us. Absolutely under no circumstances should we spend north of 90m on him.

FatTails

Slower than a cow today, that’s for sure. (Are cows actually slow? No idea)