Is Harry Kane England's sacred cow?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Don’t think he’s burnt out, but obviously not himself.

Wondering if the City transfer is on his mind?
Ohhh, I hope not.

I have never had the admiration for Kane that others have had. As I have said previously, that Golden boot win in 2018 sums it up for me: 6 goals, 3 were pens, one bounced off his ankle and he didn't no owt about it and when we needed him against Croatia, pretty anonymous. Flat-track bully.

Also, can people remember that season after season he had that odd statistic against his name, that he couldn't score in August? Maybe just unlucky? or maybe an indication of a player who a bit like Rooney, preferred Coke Cola or Heineken to Aqua minerale and after the closed-season needed more time than others to get his sharpness back. These corona effected seasons may have really impacted on his underlying fitness or rather, lack of...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ohhh, I hope not.

I have never had the admiration for Kane that others have had. As I have said previously, that Golden boot win in 2018 sums it up for me: 6 goals, 3 were pens, one bounced off his ankle and he didn't no owt about it and when we needed him against Croatia, pretty anonymous. Flat-track bully.

Also, can people remember that season after season he had that odd statistic against his name, that he couldn't score in August? Maybe just unlucky? or maybe an indication of a player who a bit like Rooney, preferred Coke Cola or Heineken to Aqua minerale and after the closed-season needed more time than others to get his sharpness back. These corona effected seasons may have really impacted on his underlying fitness or rather, lack of...
That August stat is not all that. PL season usually starts in mid August, so its just 2 games on an average.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s not the right time to do it - but I always felt that Harry Kane played a bit 1990’s like for England with a different generation type players around him.

This is whilst we arguably can play players like Sancho, Saka, Greenwood, Grealish, Foden, Rashford, Mount and Sterling in a more smaller, less physical but to technical manner.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ohhh, I hope not.

Let’s not forget his goals exclusively came against Tunisia and Panama. He failed to score in 3 knockout games and also the 3rd place playoff.

Mcking

But he'd actually be up there, which would be a big improvement on Kane.
It is not difficult to tell him to stay up there if that is the problem. This England team is a vastly overrated one with a manager still living off a penalty shoot-out in 2018.

Djemba-Djemba

Appalling so far in the tournament.

Moment last night where he had the ball in a potentially dangerous area and it looked like he was running through treacle, he looks so old last night.

rpitchfo

Can only assume he’s trying to lower his value in the transfer market at the moment as he’s been beyond bad.

I’ve never rated him on the ball as I think he always looks awkward.

But at least he could find a bit of space for himself, take a good shot, and score some goals.

I've always thought he wouldn't work at United and I think I've finally figured out why, he is not a high tempo player. He slows England down and he would slow us down. Great striker, but not for us.

Zen86

I heard him talking not so long ago about how he’d been working on his link up play, and that’s he’s more effective at coming deep and basically doing some playmaking.

Think he’s a caught up in his own hype somewhat, he should stick to what he’s good at and stay in the box.

simplyared

What’s the point of this thread? Do Barcelona drop Messi? Kane is by far the best goalscorer in this team, perhaps the only true goalscorer, he puts away chances for a living. And you want to replace him with the guy that scored less that Chris Wood this season in the Premier League? Sure Kane will be dropped if he absolutely stinks down the place, but chances are that he won’t.
:nono:

El Jefe

He's been really bad so far in the tournament but I think a lot of you are being harsh on him. It's obvious Kane is not the No.9 he was a few years back, he's evolved into a different player but he's still the best player in this England team. Our own Rooney was quite underwhelming at tournaments too while being great for us.

The team might be better without him but the main issue is Southgate being shite and not finding a working system with all the talent he has upfront. Can you imagine Kane in place of Immobile in the Italian NT, he'd be awesome.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
England have to hope that Greenwood becomes the star that he’s destined to become. If he emerges as a genuine option at CF for Utd over the next couple years then that could be huge for England, particularly if he plays alongside Rashford and Sancho at club level too.

My thoughts before the Euros started, so not speaking due to his recent poor showing. First post was about his value and second and about how he fits into modern teams.

Kane is not that rated outside of England. Don’t get me wrong he’s rated as a good striker, but not £150m then play him every match do everything to accommodate him good. So can’t see him going to Real.

We talk about United making signings that fit the jigsaw, for the present and future. Looking at our squad, is it built for a Harry Kane, or is the way forward more a fluid front three? Considering we have Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Amad, etc?

Completely different to when we signed RVP, at that time we had no creativity or flair and not much goal threat so player like RVP would improve not hinder those around him.

I think the above also applies to Kane at England. The rest of the players don’t suit him. But instead of thinking ok let’s just use him as a squad asset, and play to our strengths eg fluid front three. The media pressure Gareth to pander to him and force others to adapt to Kane. A goal vs third rate opposition will be used to vindicate the narrative of why Kane must start vs top opposition.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
All England's attackers look pretty woeful. That is down to lack of quality in midfield and the system being used.

Kane has had a long season and must also have things on his mind with Spurs coach situation and the fact he wants a transfer...

All England's attackers look pretty woeful. That is down to lack of quality in midfield and the system being used.

Kane has had a long season and must also have things on his mind with Spurs coach situation and the fact he wants a transfer...
Then it’s simple. Don’t play him. Team > player.

Trequarista10

Question is does Southgate rest him vs Czech or play him to try and build up some form?

I'd start him personally as the alternative options are meh.

MU655

Let's be honest, we can almost count on one hand how many times England have left their own half of the pitch in this Euros.

He has been poor, but I don't think he has much of a choice in dropping deep. The two CMs have almost no intention to pass forward.

We sit so deep that if he does stay up the pitch, he will be isolated. Mount also drops deep because of the negativity in the team, which would create a huge gap.

People blame Kane for not touching the ball much against Croatia, but then blame him for dropping deep because he is not touching the ball much. For me, it is all down to the negative style of the team. How will he touch the ball much when we never pass forward?

bsCallout

Let's be honest, we can almost count on one hand how many times England have left their own half of the pitch in this Euros.

He has been poor, but I don't think he has much of a choice in dropping deep. The two CMs have almost no intention to pass forward.

We sit so deep that if he does stay up the pitch, he will be isolated. Mount also drops deep because of the negativity in the team, which would create a huge gap.

People blame Kane for not touching the ball much against Croatia, but then blame him for dropping deep because he is not touching the ball much. For me, it is all down to the negative style of the team. How will he touch the ball much when we never pass forward?
I blame him for how useless he has been round the box. He still doesn't need to drop deep, it makes everything congested which doesn't help anyone, particularly Mount.

cyberman

H

He has been dropping deep for England for a long tine now. Even during the last WC he was dropping deep against the shit teams they destroyed only for him to perforn just like this against the better sides.

MU655

I blame him for how useless he has been round the box. He still doesn't need to drop deep, it makes everything congested which doesn't help anyone, particularly Mount.
He does need to drop deep. The CMs are useless. 90% of their passes go back to the defence, so how is he going to touch the ball if he stays up the pitch?

If we played more proactively, it will help all of our players. Here is a question, how many times did Rashford touch the ball after he came on? Very few times, and that is because of how negative we play.

We are not giving our players much of a chance to perform well with this setup. This setup is based on forwards scoring goals out of nowhere.

MU655

H

He has been dropping deep for England for a long tine now. Even during the last WC he was dropping deep against the shit teams they destroyed only for him to perforn just like this against the better sides.
That is Southgate's job. He should be making the team play more attacking football. If the team stopped camping in their own half and pushed up, so would Kane and the wingers. I think sometimes people are forgetting it isn't just him dropping deep from the forwards; the wingers are also because they are barely seeing any of the ball.

bsCallout

He does need to drop deep. The CMs are useless. 90% of their passes go back to the defence, so how is he going to touch the ball if he stays up the pitch?

If we played more proactively, it will help all of our players. Here is a question, how many times did Rashford touch the ball after he came on? Very few times, and that is because of how negative we play.

We are not giving our players much of a chance to perform well with this setup. This setup is based on forwards scoring goals out of nowhere.
He doesn't need to drop deep. He's the no.9. we then have no one in the box. It is the job of the wingers and most importantly Mount to find the ball. Stop making excuses for him, tell me, when has his dropping deep helped us? It hasn't.

We've seen Phillips can find a ball, can play the ball forward and break into space. The moment Kane drops deep our midfield don't have that space to step into.

I don't care how many time the striker touches the ball, I care about him being where he needs to be when he is needed. If you could give me a single example of when it is beneficial for him to drop then maybe you'd have a point but we are also playing Foden, a player that doesn't run in behind and who comes to collect the ball. There is absolutely no need for Kane to do so too. Both Foden and Mount can and do fill those spaces.

Kane dropping deep would be less of an issue if we played Rashford on the wing though, someone who will run into that space behind.

cyberman

That is Southgate's job. He should be making the team play more attacking football. If the team stopped camping in their own half and pushed up, so would Kane and the wingers. I think sometimes people are forgetting it isn't just him dropping deep from the forwards; the wingers are also because they are barely seeing any of the ball.
But my point was that he was dropping deep already when England were attacking and dominating games. He does it with Spurs as well, Ive said it for a long tine that someone needs to pull Harry up on it.

redrobed

Seems like he’d favour a move to us but I really hope he goes to City instead. Just awful.

Stacks

This is why I do not want Kane at United for the prices touted. He is not someone who can tear a well organised or top quality defence single handedly.. he is a step below your Suarez and Benzema imo and he’s going to get slower and more immobile.

If he has runners around him and plays false 9 - that could work.
neither can Benzema