Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club

Would you ever switch allegiance from the team you support to another in the same league?

• Total voters

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Good question. I'll let the Irish United and Liverpool fans defend themselves on that score, but I'd imagine the 'my dad introduced me to this team' thing also applies to Irish United and Liverpool fans, but yeah of course neither club is immune to fans latching on to them because they were winning things.
My dad was definitely a major influence on me supporting United, same for my brother. He's half-Irish funnily enough.

Growing up in my area of Chester, you were limited to one of United or Liverpool. No other realistic option existed. You might spot the odd Everton or Leeds fan lurking about, but they were in short supply. Of course, you can't cross the street these days without multiple City shirts jumping out at ya, but that's a sign of the times I guess.

I'd imagine if it's different down south where you have a wide variety of clubs to choose between. I've done a fair bit of work in London, and the thing that stood out to me on my first visit was the sheer number of different football shirts on show. Now, whenever I think of London, I think of diversity.

Also gloves, why does everyone where gloves in London?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I always wonder how the American fans handle teams just popping up out of nowhere or moving to different cities. I guess it's one thing if you support "remotely", but for the local "dad took me to my first game" people it must be a bit weird.

I genuinely can't tell anymore if this is a serious post.
Don't worry about the Americans, worry about yourself. I'm an American and I'll never stop supporting my club which is United, no matter what. I'll stick with them through it all. Relegation, losing, shit managers...bring it all on. I'm here to stay.

Spoony

The People's President
Don't worry about the Americans, worry about yourself. I'm an American and I'll never stop supporting my club which is United, no matter what. I'll stick with them through it all. Relegation, losing, shit managers...bring it all on. I'm here to stay.

Nice one, Scarlett.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you fall out of love, you fall out of love...

You're also a whiny little pissant though

Spoony

The People's President
We're not winning owt for another 5 years... I suspect there'll be more *cough* fans falling out of love.

CloneMC16

You can support whoever you want, but the vast majority of football supporters will think you're a glory supporter if you're switching to a more successful club.

I couldn't imagine supporting a different club. If I couldn't stomach United any more, I would most likely stop watching football.

Polar

Look I'm as modern as the latest dinosaur, if a club is causing you mental anguish you should change without worrying what others think. Fans love watching Liverpool win and why not? They play great football. And I'll be uber open minded, why can't we also want City to win, heck let's throw in Bayern and PSG too as a sort safety net. Those old people and their notion that supporting their club through thick and thin is...so passe. We change our wives, husbands and gender all the time. What's the difference? Christ I'm binary I've not even chosen my gender today.

City and PSG rock.
I off course always want United to win and to play better football then the opposite team.

Even if I’m a United supporter I sometimes want the best playing team to win matches, even if they play against United. My love for football is probably greater than my love for United. As an example I had mixed feelings when we won against Tottenham.

SAFMUTD

Stop supporting? Sure, it's natural to be apathetic if your club doesn't represent what you felt in love for.

Changing teams? That seems cheap, I've known people who changed teams and somehow it takes value away from others perspective but I guess they enjoy their new team success like it was their first one.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Calling people glory hunters for choosing to support a club far less successful than the one you picked yourself.
Well at that time in ireland nobody supported a team like Blackburn. There was no connection to them. It was because they were successful that season. And they died off just as quick

studs

and potentially to switch allegiances?
I realise that this is an Irish forum, and there are lot of people on here whom have a certain club close to their hearts.

How close are you to just switching to any club, if ever? Is it something frowned upon (well it is - by muppets in my opinion) and how have you handled this if you ever changed your colours.

Anywhoo, this thread doesn’t have to be about your experience but it’s also about how your experience would be.

I’m just going to go out and say it. I’m away to support Celtic.
Do what ever scratches your itch.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
I vote we all change and start supporting Liverpool. We can keep the name Redcafe and it also suits us being an Irish forum.

All hail King Klopp we will never walk alone:D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, you can't stop supporting your club, and i will personally hunt you down if you do

If i have to sit through 90 minutes of tonight, no one's allowed to quit :devil: :devil: :devil:

Bwuk

I wouldn’t switch clubs but if we got bought by Saudis I’d find it incredibly hard to support the club.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Doesn't that apply to City and Everton as well though? In general the most successful clubs having/gaining the largest following is pretty much a universal phenomenon, isn't it?

As ever it's a combination of both. Most big English clubs have an Irish fan base to varying degrees mainly due to the profile of the club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My best mate stopped supporting Chelsea when Abramovich took over and has never really supported anyone properly since.

I respected him a lot at first, but then he started a weird obsession with Liverpool, so now he's just a bit of an ABU cnut who constantly wants to nosh off Klopp and Henderson.

So no, I don't think it should be OK if this is what happens.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
No, you can't stop supporting your club, and i will personally hunt you down if you do

If i have to sit through 90 minutes of tonight, no one's allowed to quit :devil: :devil: :devil:
:lol:
I watch it in a bar with culés friends, I would have gladly gone home at halftime and there I was, 45 minutes bearing the jokes and praying that there was no fifth goal.
That's the good thing about being in this forum, being able to forget thanks to the misfortunes of other fans

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I always wonder how the American fans handle teams just popping up out of nowhere or moving to different cities. I guess it's one thing if you support "remotely", but for the local "dad took me to my first game" people it must be a bit weird.
I have seen plenty of fans drop a team when the team moves away. Look at the Baltimore Colts. Moved away in the dead of night to Indianapolis. Many of it’s legends disowned the team as did many of the fans who then supported the Ravens who started as a new franchise in Baltimore.

Moby

Dick
In Ireland it's either United or Liverpool and has been for generations.
Because they've been the two most successful clubs so calling others glory hunters while the only reason you support a club from another country is due to their success is hilarious

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Personally, I think it's weird to have die-hard support for a club you have no geographical connection to. If you or nobody in your immediate family isn't from or live(d) in the Greater Manchester Area or surrounding areas it all seems manufactured tbh.

But you can't call yourself a die-hard fan and switch teams

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm from Houston and was a die-hard Oilers fan (American football). When we lost the team to Tennessee and they became the Titans it was heartbreaking and even though I tried to follow the Titans it was never the same (partly b/c we hated the owner). I would call myself a Texans fan, but losing the Oilers destroyed any diehard loyalty to any football team.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I started supporting United since before I can remember, I think red was my favourite colour.

So, I suppose I could support any team that plays in red, like, Liverpool or Arsenal.

HOLD ON A SECOND!

True story, when I was a kid, maybe up to 7 years old, I did like Liverpool as well as United (I really didn't know any better) simply because they played in red. Then Liverpool beat United once and I hated them ever since :lol:

Deery

Dreary
Personally, I think it's weird to have die-hard support for a club you have no geographical connection to. If you or nobody in your immediate family isn't from or live(d) in the Greater Manchester Area or surrounding areas it all seems manufactured tbh.

But you can't call yourself a die-hard fan and switch teams
So you’re love or passion for something can only be measured by how close you live to it?
Just by your logic what would you say someone living further away is a hobby, an interest, a pastime?

portrushred

Im currently working long hours, studying and bringing up 2 toddlers. The Middlesborough game was a real sickner for me. I recorded it and watched it once the 2 toddlers were in bed... found myself watching the penalties at 2am knowing I was in for a very long day the next day. I couldnt help but think if yous dont care anymore... why should I?
Since then Ive only watched 3 games... it doesnt feel like United just now, and my time's too precious. Never thought Id ever feel like that in a million years...
I could never switch though... I hate watching other clubs play anyway and have done for years.
The fact is, like many on here, I just dont really like these players. They dont seem to represent the values I have always associated with the club and I dont feel a connection with them. I believe that will change but it will take time.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@Paxi
You probably need to ask to yourself why did you support united in the first place?

Why was it ok to support us then and it isn’t now?

what is making you feel like you want to support a different team.

did you truly ever fully support the club or just enjoy the feeling of winning?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So you’re love or passion for something can only be measured by how close you live to it?
Just by your logic what would you say someone living further away is a hobby, an interest, a pastime?
I never said you have to live close to it, but I find it hard to be a die-hard supporter of a team of a city I have nothing to do with. Where does the emotional connection come from then if not from that?

If I simply pick a team I have no geographic relationship with that's winning a lot and follow them, even if I do so for years, aren't I simply a tenured glory hunter? Can I really ever claim to be a diehard fan like a person who was born, raised, or lived in that team's area?

So I guess yes, I would call it a hobby, interest, or pastime.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Even though I have fallen out of love with top level football in general and United specifically to some degree, I can't imagine a situation where I supported another team.

Deery

Dreary
I never said you have to live close to it, but I find it hard to be a die-hard supporter of a team of a city I have nothing to do with. Where does the emotional connection come from then if not from that?

If I simply pick a team I have no geographic relationship with that's winning a lot and follow them, even if I do so for years, aren't I simply a tenured glory hunter? Can I really ever claim to be a diehard fan like a person who was born, raised, or lived in that team's area?

So I guess yes, I would call it a hobby, interest, or pastime.
Why the feck are you on a United forum then?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Why do people rebuttal with such knuckle-dragging questions?

Didn't know die-hard fan was the requirement to post here. Just point me to where it says that in the TOS I'll be on my way.

Deery

Dreary
Why do people rebuttal with such knuckle-dragging questions?

Didn't know die-hard fan was the requirement to post here. Just point me to where it says that in the TOS I'll be on my way.
Seems strange that you’d sign up to a website solely for people with a passion for the club if you don’t carry them believe’s also, then go on to say the majority of them are all glory hunters, something I think you’re well aware of is used as a slur against United fans. I think you are more a WUM than anything.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Seems strange that you’d sign up to a website solely for people with a passion for the club if you don’t carry them believe’s also, then go on to say the majority of them are all glory hunters, something I think you’re well aware of is used as a slur against United fans. I think you are more a WUM than anything.
Tenured glory hunter was more tongue and cheek, and it's not used specifically for United fans. Also I made a distinction by saying diehard fans rather than all fans. And there is nothing wrong with treating a club you support as a pastime or hobby. This notion that everyone has to be a top-red, die-hard is contrived nonsense.

Definitely not a WUM. You just feel some type of way about my opinion. You can disagree and share your viewpoint w/o acting weird and combative.

Deery

Dreary
Tenured glory hunter was more tongue and cheek, and it's not used specifically for United fans. Also I made a distinction by saying diehard fans rather than all fans. And there is nothing wrong with treating a club you support as a pastime or hobby. This notion that everyone has to be a top-red, die-hard is contrived nonsense.

Definitely not a WUM. You just feel some type of way about my opinion. You can disagree and share your viewpoint w/o acting weird and combative.
No one’s acting weird but you, to come on and be super condescending to anyone that supports and again throw out the insults Glory Hunter and Top Red is just looking for an argument.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No one’s acting weird but you, to come on and be super condescending to anyone that supports and again throw out the insults Glory Hunter and Top Red is just looking for an argument.
I didn't throw out any insults. I would be classified as a "tenured glory hunter", but again it should be obvious to most I was just using a hypothetical. Nothing I said was so bad that it gave you the liberty to ask me:

If I share an opinion and you disagree there are other ways you can address it. If you think it's so egregious then report the post instead of aggressively questioning what I'm doing here and then throwing out accusations of insulting behavior. Miss me with that garbage.

Deery

Dreary
I didn't throw out any insults. I would be classified as a "tenured glory hunter", but again it should be obvious to most I was just using a hypothetical. Nothing I said was so bad that it gave you the liberty to ask me:

If I share an opinion and you disagree there are other ways you can address it. If you think it's so egregious then report the post instead of aggressively questioning what I'm doing here and then throwing out accusations of insulting behavior. Miss me with that garbage.
I know exactly what you’re doing.

It’s not a liberty to ask why you’d be so harsh and judgmental on a forum which obviously attracts fans who invest more time than the average man on the street.

Personally, I think it's weird