Is it Guardiola or is it his City squad?

AR87

You said he played them because he wanted to be clever when in reality he played them cause his other 3.5 Cm were unavailable. Should he really have expected 4 central midfielders to be out at the same time?
LVG dealt with as bad if not a worse injury crisis last season and nobody made excuses for him. Also if you have injuries like that you should change your tactical approach to be more structurally sound and give your defenders more support even if it means you have to sit deeper, concede some possession and play less adventurously.

Sure Pep has had injuries, but based on his tactical approach you wouldn't think so and that's foolhardy at best and arrogant at worst.

Kag

Both, of course. But the City squad, even on paper, is terribly dull and lacking in quality. I've been arguing this for a long time, too, so feel a little justified in my thinking. For a long time they've had garbage full back options, a woefully depleted central midfield and a lack of quality wide players. Their last remotely functional central defensive pairing was Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott (who played together when Ferguson was still in charge here!)

Toure, Silva and Aguero remain central to the side, only older and worse. And for all of their funds, the only top level footballer they've bought in over the past few years is Kevin De Bruyne. Given the resources at their disposal, they've been woefully mismanaged from a squad building perspective.

The funny thing about it is that as recently as the summer just gone, lots of prominent figures in football have repeatedly claimed that City have the best squad of players in the division. I find it really baffling, because for the last few seasons their best central midfield cover has been Fernando and Fabian fecking Delph.

Guardiola is making mistakes, most notably with the introduction of Claudio Bravo. But those idiots from Barcelona that have been in charge of their ins and outs need their heads straightened. Txiki whatshisname has a lot to answer for.

padr81

Supports
Man City
LVG dealt with as bad if not a worse injury crisis last season and nobody made excuses for him. Also if you have injuries like that you should change your tactical approach to be more structurally sound and give your defenders more support even if it means you have to sit deeper, concede some possession and play less adventurously.

Sure Pep has had injuries, but based on his tactical approach you wouldn't think so and that's foolhardy at best and arrogant at worst.
There's no denying lvg had injuries, Jose too was stuck for cbs for awhile but playing Toure at the bottom of a diamond was necessity not arrogance. Of course peps made mistakes but we played with a back 4 with Toure as dm and Zabaleta and kdb cm at Everton, easily our most defensive formation of the season the alternative was 451 formation or 5 4 1 with the 4 midfielders being attacking midfielders.

AR87

There's no denying lvg had injuries, Jose too was stuck for cbs for awhile but playing Toure at the bottom of a diamond was necessity not arrogance. Of course peps made mistakes but we played with a back 4 with Toure as dm and Zabaleta and kdb cm at Everton, easily our most defensive formation of the season the alternative was 451 formation or 5 4 1 with the 4 midfielders being attacking midfielders.
It's not just the formation. It's also about the instructions for each player within that formation. I only watched the 2nd half, so maybe it was different because City was chasing the game by that point, but they seemed far too stretched for a team with Toure and Zabaleta in the midfield.

Whatever the case their reality is somewhere between the amazing stretch they had to start the season and their poor run of form now. Long-term the squad clearly needs a major overhaul and players brought in with an eye on improving the starting XI and squad immediately and with an eye on the long-term future of the club. I was very surprised by City's transfer dealings this past summer.

MartialsBeard

This is an interesting one for me. When I think about it, I cant think of any decent players who have improved under him at City - which was supposed to be a big selling point. KDB you can argue, although he was already looking good last season. Some of the youngsters like Iheanacho have barely had a sniff though (he is the main one to be fair).

Other than that, he has managed to revitalise a few of the older players - Yaya, Kolarov etc, but those are not the players he should be building his side around.
Even thats arguable considering Yaya and the others have repeatedly failed in big games.

You said he played them because he wanted to be clever when in reality he played them cause his other 3.5 Cm were unavailable. Should he really have expected 4 central midfielders to be out at the same time?
Yes. He bought terribly with Gudogan and failed to pick up players to improve the squad at the base level. plus he had Fernandinho go mental picking up cards , a situation he failed to manage.

Fernandinho has improved although he was one of our best last season but I agree none of our younger players have kicked on. He's also far more reluctant to give youth a chance, in the efl cup against United Alex garcia was our best player. Hard to fathom why he's not getting a look in and Iheanacho has regressed massively.
You can forgive him this as in sticky situations he would need his senior players to take charge and drive the team forward. Ironically he shipped one of the most influential players in Hart out, another foolish endeavour.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's not just the formation. It's also about the instructions for each player within that formation. I only watched the 2nd half, so maybe it was different because City was chasing the game by that point, but they seemed far too stretched for a team with Toure and Zabaleta in the midfield.

Whatever the case their reality is somewhere between the amazing stretch they had to start the season and their poor run of form now. Long-term the squad clearly needs a major overhaul and players brought in with an eye on improving the starting XI and squad immediately and with an eye on the long-term future of the club. I was very surprised by City's transfer dealings this past summer.
Ah I see I think most will say we were unlucky to go behind first half even on here going by the match week thread. Lots of people said was just a matter of time till we scored. 2nd half we got desperate and Koeman had our lack of midfield cover sussed and they simply picked us apart.
I think asking the mids we had available to sit and be careful was never going to work. Good and all as kdb is in mc without the ball he's as useful as a bag of potatoes.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Fernandinho has improved although he was one of our best last season but I agree none of our younger players have kicked on. He's also far more reluctant to give youth a chance, in the efl cup against United Alex garcia was our best player. Hard to fathom why he's not getting a look in and Iheanacho has regressed massively.
I think we can definitely make a case for Sterling. Well, compared to last season anyway.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yes. He bought terribly with Gudogan and failed to pick up players to improve the squad at the base level. plus he had Fernandinho go mental picking up cards , a situation he failed to manage.

You can forgive him this as in sticky situations he would need his senior players to take charge and drive the team forward. Ironically he shipped one of the most influential players in Hart out, another foolish endeavour.
I really don't think he asked Fernandinho to go mental. He bought what he could people say he didn't bother with defence but our pursuit of Laporte and bonnuci were well known. Maybe the required players weren't available or at the right price. Why we dropped our interest in pogba was strange but I'd say we knew he was United or Madrid bound. So he bought what he could.

Before bravo arrived most people on here said he'd be a huge upgrade on hart, not pep, Jose nor fortune teller could have foreseen him falling off a cliff like he has.
Hart is far from the answer and his weaknesses are well known. Even with all that it was known he was second choice because Barca wouldn't sell ter Stegen.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think we can definitely make a case for Sterling. Well, compared to last season anyway.
Sterling is more confident and I really do like him but he's still got the same major flaw, he can't put his foot through a ball 9 out of the 10 times he needs to.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I think it's worth pointing out that Guardiola picked the same outfield 10 for Everton that won 5-0 at West Ham the week before. As such, few, if any, of our fans complained beforehand about the line-up but because it went tits up so spectacularly that's when the revisionism kicked in with people questioning why he picked that team.

People might laugh at Zabaleta in midfield but he played a lot of games early in his City career in that position and by and large did a competent job there. Of course, fast forward 7 or 8 years and his legs aren't what they were but all in all it's not that outrageous a decision to start him there if injuries and suspensions have restricted our options in that position.

MartialsBeard

I really don't think he asked Fernandinho to go mental. He bought what he could people say he didn't bother with defence but our pursuit of Laporte and bonnuci were well known. Maybe the required players weren't available or at the right price. Why we dropped our interest in pogba was strange but I'd say we knew he was United or Madrid bound. So he bought what he could.

Before bravo arrived most people on here said he'd be a huge upgrade on hart, not pep, Jose nor fortune teller could have foreseen him falling off a cliff like he has.
Hart is far from the answer and his weaknesses are well known. Even with all that it was known he was second choice because Barca wouldn't sell ter Stegen.
What I mean is he should have managed the situation with Fernandinho as to tell his player to bloody stop getting sent off. The defense was strengthened just with the wrong player and really he should have known. There is a reason we didnt go in for him. Also my point about hart is to do with his leadership winning titles with City where as Pep wanted a keeper to play from the back. A regular tactic teams have exploited this year. All in all its been a bit of a mess.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What I mean is he should have managed the situation with Fernandinho as to tell his player to bloody stop getting sent off. The defense was strengthened just with the wrong player and really he should have known. There is a reason we didnt go in for him. Also my point about hart is to do with his leadership winning titles with City where as Pep wanted a keeper to play from the back. A regular tactic teams have exploited this year. All in all its been a bit of a mess.
I'm sure he told him and aguero but for whatever reason we are City and we are always prone to brain farts.
No doubt it's been poor at times but I don't think the manager should carry the can for the dof messing up certain transfers though he should carry the can for our second half attitude. Woodward for example brought in all 4 of joses targets, no second choices or we can't get him so we'll take this guy.
Should he be doing better of course he should but he can't be blamed for the dof failing to bring in the players requested.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yeah. Well when he's not getting sent off. The other guy is the one who stands around doing feck all yet still is more useful defensively then Yaya.
So is he using Zabaleta as a last resort then? It's probably fair to say you lot need a big investment i CM.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
City's transfers are the worst of the top 6 the last few years. Their strategy: Find any young CB with press and spend £50M then find a twitter trending young attacker and spend £50M. Its like a video game mindset.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
The lack of improvement from any City players this season is a great point. His failure to integrate any youth players is also another one.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So is he using Zabaleta as a last resort then? It's probably fair to say you lot need a big investment i CM.
Well need a replacement for Yaya and maybe another set of fresh legs to cover Gundo. Fern 1 (the good one) will be OK for another year or two and Fern 2 because he's content playing backup. It's just one if those things. 5 cms on the books and the only one available is fecking Yaya Toure

RooneyLegend

Its not that he needs the best players in the world to be successful, he needs players that fit his playing style. i.e Banega would be great under him but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be in anyone's top 10 midfielder list. Trying to play the way he does, without certain types of players is suicidal. As they say in holland, when it works its beautiful, when it fails, its a disaster. It really is all or nothing tactics. His playing style doesn't legislate for his team losing the ball in midfield cause of how he wants the team's defensive unit to position itself during the build up phase, unlike a more pragmatic side i.e us or chelsea.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Perhaps it is because individualistic players are more common than players who can think as a team. The Dutch squad that got to 3rd place in 2014 was ordinary apart from 1 top class player and 2 former top class players. LvG was able to get the maximum out of that team because the players grew up learning this type of football. They weren't great players. They simply know how to work together as a unit better than a lot of other teams.
Yes dutch squad worked well and exceeded expectations but world cup is relatively small no. of matches. In the end, my point is, not that their way is wrong, it is just that their style is probably harder to adjust and execute in premier league than the other 2 big leagues. Both are smart enough to understand that but want/wanted to tackle it while remaining true to their principles and not changing approach.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Regarding the problems with Citys CMs, I'm surprised Garcia hasn't featured more for them with Gundogan and Fernandinho being out. He looked very good against us in the League Cup.

Also I agree with you @RooneyLegend in that Banega would be perfectly suited to a Guardiola team but the question marks over his attitude would make him a risky signing. He's one of my favourite players so I hope he doesn't go to City anyway!

lysglimt

Scout
People talk about us and our problems - but I see much bigger problems at City.

Goalkeeper: One of the worst in the Premier League
Defense: seriously, how many of City's defenders would you want in your side ? They are either old : Zabaleta, Sagna and Kolarov - injured: Kompany - not good enough: Stone, Clichy. Otamendi is ok
Midfield: De Bruyne is brilliant, Sterling is also more than good enough - and the right age. But then it's the age-problem again: Fernando 29, Silva 31, Toure 33, Navas 31, Fernandinho 31 (and always sent off).Delph is not good enough and Sane might be a talent - but he is nowhere near that class yet.
Attack; Aguero is of course brilliant, but he is almost 29 and you sense that he could be looking elsewhere for his final big contract. Iheanacho is really good

So basically City have 11 players around or over 30

In my opinion - I only see a future after the 17/18 season for maybe 5-6 of the City-players (Sterling, de Bruyne, Otamendi, Iheanacho and Sane. Aguero is good enough but I think he will go soon.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
This was a general observation and I´m pretty sure there were better solutions than shifting Zabaleta. Play somebody from your academy. Pull back KdB, who has a high workrate and brilliant ball distribution skills and insert one of the front four bench players, who are much higher quality.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Well need a replacement for Yaya and maybe another set of fresh legs to cover Gundo. Fern 1 (the good one) will be OK for another year or two and Fern 2 because he's content playing backup. It's just one if those things. 5 cms on the books and the only one available is fecking Yaya Toure
Didn't think we'd see Toure much if at all this season but yeah, I expect you to invest in midfield and defence.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This was a general observation and I´m pretty sure there were better solutions than shifting Zabaleta. Play somebody from your academy. Pull back KdB, who has a high workrate and brilliant ball distribution skills and insert one of the front four bench players, who are much higher quality.
He did pull back kdb who is useless defensively in that situation. For both the west ham and Everton game we lined up with a diamond. I think he should have played Alex garcia there for what it's worth but someone on bm said he's not fit either.
--------Toure--------
Zab-------------kdb
----------Silva-------
Sterling----aguero

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Its not that he needs the best players in the world to be successful, he needs players that fit his playing style. i.e Banega would be great under him but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be in anyone's top 10 midfielder list. Trying to play the way he does, without certain types of players is suicidal. As they say in holland, when it works its beautiful, when it fails, its a disaster. It really is all or nothing tactics. His playing style doesn't legislate for his team losing the ball in midfield cause of how he wants the team's defensive unit to position itself during the build up phase, unlike a more pragmatic side i.e us or chelsea.
I beleive the playing style itself is the problem. I believe he's a manager who knows his job very well, he makes players play his difficult style extremely quickly. But that style is about perfection, players have to do everything with full control and composure. They're not allow to take risks with their technique, everything they do they really have to master, get every touch right, 10 out of 10. But players can do a lot more when they're allowed to try things at the max of their ability and risk loss of posession. With Messi and Iniesta he got away with it, allthough he probably should have won more with that group of players. With Bayern he didn't, and in the PL with it's high pace it's even more difficult.

padr81

Supports
Man City
People talk about us and our problems - but I see much bigger problems at City.

Goalkeeper: One of the worst in the Premier League
Defense: seriously, how many of City's defenders would you want in your side ? They are either old : Zabaleta, Sagna and Kolarov - injured: Kompany - not good enough: Stone, Clichy. Otamendi is ok
Midfield: De Bruyne is brilliant, Sterling is also more than good enough - and the right age. But then it's the age-problem again: Fernando 29, Silva 31, Toure 33, Navas 31, Fernandinho 31 (and always sent off).Delph is not good enough and Sane might be a talent - but he is nowhere near that class yet.
Attack; Aguero is of course brilliant, but he is almost 29 and you sense that he could be looking elsewhere for his final big contract. Iheanacho is really good

So basically City have 11 players around or over 30

In my opinion - I only see a future after the 17/18 season for maybe 5-6 of the City-players (Sterling, de Bruyne, Otamendi, Iheanacho and Sane. Aguero is good enough but I think he will go soon.
Jesus, Roberts and possibly stones but I'd expect about 12 new players in our 22 by than.

caid

Anyone else think that if Guardiola just ripped up his usual tactics, had his defence drop deep and use fast counter attacks with KDB, Sterling, Aguero and one other that they'd be far better off?

Just looking at the team and they really are a long, long way off being fit for purpose.
Their front 4 really is mostly brilliant but at the same time - theres no physicality, height or defensive nous there.
Liverpool dont have players of the same standard but they work their ass off hassling and harrying and force mistakes and i just cant imagine city getting a similar level of work from their (admittedly better) front 4
Just seems they need an awful lot from the guys behind them to offset some weaknesses, on top of a lot of other skills to make the tactics work.
He really has a job on his hands to build a decent, balanced team.
I was pretty surprised with the kind of players he was going for during the summer tbh. Definitely think he really underestimated how important having tough, hard working players are in this league.
Maybe he should rethink dumping Toure? Play him as a 10 and he could help offset some of them weaknesses in the front 4.

caid

Jesus, Roberts and possibly stones but I'd expect about 12 new players in our 22 by than.
Tbh i think you were robbed by eveton with stones. He just doesn't look like he'll ever be much of a defender.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
There's no way of knowing until Guardiola actually has the squad he wants. If he brings in the five new defenders, two new midfielders and new winger we're apparently going to sign and things don't improve next season then it might well be that his style doesn't suit the Premier League; if he takes us up another level with a refined squad then our issues at present will be down to the current set of players. People have already dissected the problematic elements of our roster in this thread, but the fact that we unnecessarily stood waiting for Guardiola for two seasons with Pellegrini in charge is embarrassing. The fact that the squad still wasn't prepared for him coming in makes it look even worse. We stood there with Pellegrini in the dugout, knowing he was a dead man walking, while Klopp, Ancelotti and Pochettino all joined new teams. Would we be in a worse position right now if we'd managed to get Klopp on board at the end of the 14-15 season when we finished a fair number of points behind Chelsea?

The blame ultimately lies with the man who makes the key decisions, and that's Txiki Begiristain. He's spent nearly £500m since he sacked Roberto Mancini but somehow allowed the squad to age horrifically and take the general performance of the team backwards by some margin. In 2012 when we won the title we finished on 89 points, a tally that hasn't been beaten since. Last season we finished on 66 points (our lowest points tally since Mark Hughes) and we're only going to finish on 76 points this season if our current points rate continues. In the two previous seasons 76 points would have been enough to finish in 2nd place, but the fact is that we haven't kept up with the competition. We were battered by Tottenham and Liverpool last season, we lost to Arsenal and United, the warning signs should have been there. But once again we've had a summer that initially looked promising but ultimately didn't deliver. Bravo is a mess, Stones is too young, Gundogan looked good but is injured long-term again, Sané is still too raw and the only consistent summer signing Nolito has been dropped.

It's a poor show from all involved, and the fact that we're not trying to sign anybody in January despite having the worst defence in the top seven is laughable. We haven't kept up with the developments of our immediate competition and we're going to pay for it royally when we finish 6th in May. Add in the fact that the club has grown incredibly sterile, cold and corporate since late 2012 and there's really no point in investing the time and effort required just to watch games from the living room armchair. While Begiristain and Ferran Soriano have been in charge we've founded as many football teams as we've won trophies, and two of those were League Cups. We're building a glass tunnel for some reason, season ticket prices have increased once again (as much as 50% in some areas of the ground), and the half-time entertainment now consists of parading robots about because they've been built by some company we have a sponsorship deal with. On a board room level we've become everything we hated and on the pitch we sacked an incredibly popular manager to stand still for six years. Even if Pep does turn it around we'll still be the joke of a club we've become since those two frauds took the reigns.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Two of the biggest problems with his squad are players who he has signed, and in the case of Stones continues to play despite his age and lack of reliability.

The main flaw in City's game this season is also the poor tactical use of their players. Teams can beat them by just sitting back and basically kicking the ball semi aimlessly up the pitch. It's happened a large number of times in games they've ended up either not winning or losing. They have players who are capable, if used correctly, of not losing 4-0 to Everton.

It's LVG all over again. The main difference I see between City this season and United last, is that City have Aguero and De Bruyne to win them games, while United had 18 year old Rashford (for half a season) and Martial. If anything Pep should be grateful he has players up top who can often bail him out when he makes his team so open to being countered.

Xeno

It's a poor show from all involved, and the fact that we're not trying to sign anybody in January despite having the worst defence in the top seven is laughable. We haven't kept up with the developments of our immediate competition and we're going to pay for it royally when we finish 6th in May. Add in the fact that the club has grown incredibly sterile, cold and corporate since late 2012 and there's really no point in investing the time and effort required just to watch games from the living room armchair. While Begiristain and Ferran Soriano have been in charge we've founded as many football teams as we've won trophies, and two of those were League Cups. We're building a glass tunnel for some reason, season ticket prices have increased once again (as much as 50% in some areas of the ground), and the half-time entertainment now consists of parading robots about because they've been built by some company we have a sponsorship deal with. On a board room level we've become everything we hated and on the pitch we sacked an incredibly popular manager to stand still for six years. Even if Pep does turn it around we'll still be the joke of a club we've become since those two frauds took the reigns.
Good to see a bit of honesty, although pretty much all top level football is a bit like that now. You can't have a local, passionate, tribal fanbase at the same time as having big ticket day trippers and executive boxes. This was a good post though.

Too early to celebrate Pep and City's demise but by god do I hope it happens. The prick
This was a better post.

Handré1990

Two of the biggest problems with his squad are players who he has signed, and in the case of Stones continues to play despite his age and lack of reliability.

The main flaw in City's game this season is also the poor tactical use of their players. Teams can beat them by just sitting back and basically kicking the ball semi aimlessly up the pitch. It's happened a large number of times in games they've ended up either not winning or losing. They have players who are capable, if used correctly, of not losing 4-0 to Everton.

It's LVG all over again. The main difference I see between City this season and United last, is that City have Aguero and De Bruyne to win them games, while United had 18 year old Rashford (for half a season) and Martial. If anything Pep should be grateful he has players up top who can often bail him out when he makes his team so open to being countered.
Well said! The part about De Bruyne and Aguero is spot on, only reason they're anywhere near the top. The kicker is, none of them seems to be "Pep players".

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Well said! The part about De Bruyne and Aguero is spot on, only reason they're anywhere near the top. The kicker is, none of them seems to be "Pep players".
I don't know what a Pep player is. It's a load of nonsense. He's manager of a football team so his job is to MANAGE the players.

People can make a point of saying they don't think he has good enough players to do this or do that, but it doesn't change the fact he isn't managing the players he has correctly or to the best of their potential.

Again it's the same excuses we had with LVG. Albeit I don't think Pep has proven as destructive as yet, but there does seem to be this similar theme with him where players supposedly have to all do what his pre-programmed idea of what they should do is. Rather than him managing them to what their strengths are.