Is it Guardiola or is it his City squad?

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I think they are exactly performing like last year under Pellegrini. But with the same performance they will finish 6th this year instead if 4th last year. So I don't think Pep does horrible wrong with them, but he hasn't been an improvement over Pellegrini and that's not what people expected. It's difficult to say why, I think he always had kind of problems with divas and troublemakers. Of course Bayern and Barca had better players, but I also think they have better professionals, hungry players who want to achieve everything and who were determined to perform on a high level every week and that doesn't seem to be the case with City and Pep so far can't really deal with it.

Their signing were expensive, but apart from Gündogan not that exciting. To swap Hart with Bravo was just pointless it seems, Stones for that money after last season was very weird, for Sane it was always too early to make that move and an impact on City's first XI. That leaves us with Gündogan, who would have been great for their midfield, but is now missing due to injury. I think apart from mental and motivation issues they always needed a top-defender and midfielder last summer. Compare that with us who could get 3 players like Zlatan, Pogba and Miki who just have the quality to walk into and improve our first XI. I think City needed at least 2 players like that too in defence and midfield, their problems weren't much smaller than ours last year.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
That headline is misleading, I saw the post match interview.

He was simply saying that had City taken their chances first, the game would have been different. City had their chances (particularly referred to the Chelsea) to go ahead/extend their lead and that would undoubtedly have led to a different game and possibly a different result.

I do remember LVG also bemoaning the fact that despite us having all the possession and not putting away our chances, how other teams always seemed to score with their first chance.

Guess it brings it back to the point Carra has been making, the chances City allow and normally big chances.
Yeah there is lot of similarity in the way he talks and analyzes game and how LvG did. For them, the way a football match should be played and how a match should be controlled has different meaning than some other managers. That is of course not wrong but they are too rigid about it and the flaws of their philosophy are being felt more in PL because a)they don't/didn't have very ideal players they would like b) Premier league or English football has its unique culture where a counter to their methodology is ugly yet effective. This ugly or call it simplistic approach they don't think is worthy enough for them to change their footballing principles. For me, if your football philosophy, no matter how inventive, is dependent on having absolute top class players and can't adjust or overcome other approaches which maybe simplistic, it is not the greatest of things.

What you have mentioned about Carra's point is something I was wondering about too. With LvG, our opposition didn't use to have many chances but they usually used to be clear-cut chances because of our style of play. Similar seems to be happening with City.

Stocar

Nothing I have said is controversial, nothing is completely wrong and Im sorry its just like LVGs United, boring passive football with little to no end product the difference is LVG managed some results against the top boys.
Yet they've scored more than United and have more points. They are actually playing some fine attacking football and creating lots of chances, but lack sharpness, and are consequently without confidence and stability. They will regain form eventually.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think much like some other managers, looking at you lvg, he hasn't 'got' English football yet. I don't know if he ever will

Celestiale

Squad isn't very good.

Bravo- Shit
Sagna- Old
Clichy- Meh
Kompany- Injured
Stones- :lol:
Otamendi- Shit
Toure- Lazy
Gundogan- Cripple
Fernando- Meh
Fernandihno- Good
Silva- On the wane
Aguero- Injured
De Brunye- Quality
Sterling- Shit
Navas- Meh
Sane- Who?

The guy has gone from working with 2 of the greatest teams we've seen in the modern era to this. How could he possibly have been expected to win the League with a squad like that? His transfers have been awful though, but generally that's always been the case wherever he's been. However I said it ages ago, Messi was the real reason for that Barca's teams success, Pep was a beneficiary of having him, Xavi and Iniesta. Not to take away all credit from Pep but it was nigh on impossible to beat a team with those 3 in it. At Bayern Pep was a complete and utter failure.
If this is your yardstick, you could do the same with Barcelona:

ter Stegen - Shit
Roberto - :lol:
Pique - Shit (in defending)
Mascherano - Old
Mathieu - Older
Alba - Maniac
Busquets - Drama Queen
Andre Gomes - :houllier:
Iniesta - can't run anymore
Rakitic - Ok'ish

their offensive trio is saving them, the rest of the squad is pretty bad

Seriously, blaming the players from City is ridiculous. They clearly have the best players alongside us in the league. The rest is up to the manager. In individual class they have a way better team then Arsenal or Liverpool, let alone Spurs. With proper managing they should be well clear of them - just like us

finneh

It's 95% Guardiola's fault as his purchases have been atrocious. He's known he had the job several months before he took the position and it was pretty obvious that they were weak in central midfield, LB, RB and CB. With that in mind he's gone into the season with glaring weaknesses to central midfield, LB, RB, CB and added the Goalkeeper position as well.

He bought a central defender who was not only a large gamble, but also was completely unsuited to partnering the only (non-crock) central defender already at the club (Otamendi). He's bought a central midfielder who is rarely fit; a goalkeeper who is terrible and totally unsuited to the Premier League; along with three attacking players (at a cost of £80m) who are unlikely to displace their current front four (De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Aguero) any time soon. He also clearly had no plans for Toure, but due to not buying a reliable replacement has now had to thrust him back into action.

This is before even looking at who he loaned out - they went into the season with three central defenders in Stones, Otamendi & Kompany (the latter of which is a perma-crock) and yet they still loaned out Mangala who despite not being great is better than playing full backs out of position.

I looked at his lineup against Everton and was baffled. A front six of Zabaleta, Toure, De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Aguero is the least balanced line-up I've probably ever seen. Delph isn't a great player but if he's your only fit central midfielder; you play him.

I think some of the skepticism shown in terms of his management history is being proven correct. He's never been effective in the transfer market and he's always relied on having a much, much better attack than the opposition in order to blow them away. City do have the best attack in the League but not by the margin Guardiola is used to. I also don't think Guardiola has often seen tactics like Everton/Leicester used against them so successfully.

jojose

Spurs at home and West Ham away are huge games. Massive games for him.

The lack of criticism over Stones, the keeper, Sane, Nolito even Gundagon is astonishing. Maybe his track record has saved him from the usual reactionary slaughtering. City, Pep, Sane and Stones might well all come good. But after the initial surge in form, the impact Pep has had on Aguero and Kevin De Bruyne is resoundingly negative. The only person more unhappy about Kevin De Bruyne playing upfront at the Nou Camp than KDB himself was Sergio Aguerro sat on the bench. That was the night it began to unravel. Those two clearly unhappy. The keeper an absolute laughing stock with Stones only marginally better.

His approach to Leicester City was just pure arrogance. Either that or an extremely obtuse neglect to recognize the strengths of the opposition. Ie……Vardy in behind, Mahrez coming inside and the whole team getting up the pitch quickly. Every team this season against Leicester City have dropped 10-15 yards deeper and shown Mahrez outside. City played a high line without full backs allowing Mahrez to come inside, vardy to ruin in behind and Albrighton in acres. Yet apparently if you haven’t read Peps book you know nothing about football. Incredibly naïve for me.

He also seems to have an issue with big personalities / fans favorites. Ronaldinho, Zlatan, Deco, Eto, Kroos, Mandzukic, Basti and now Hart, Toure and Aguero. There is also something in my mind about a bit of a power struggle with Messi? And a falling out or two with Muller. Taking Zlatans “you know what I mean” comment, Henry also found him difficult. Whilst also failing to get the best from Fabregas and Sanchez. Various reasons for all of those but nevertheless……..

Has he ever made a good signing? Zlatan, Vidal, Fabregas, Thiago, Alonso are all obvious signings that anybody would take, Christ even Moyesy was chasing them.

I think he’s got to bring in a minimum of 6 this summer (assuming Aguerro and KDB get on board) and they have to hit the ground running. At £40m a pop id be nervous about trusting him with £240 million. With China’s money, PSG’s money, Barca, Madrid and Bayern all attractive destinations plus us, Spurs and Liverpool all on the up with shrewd managers i would go as far as saying City getting top for is bigger for them than any of the others.

It’s a tough job he has on his hands made all the more tougher playing in a proper league with Jose, Klopp, Wenger, Pochetino and Conte as opposition as opposed to Juande Ramos and Thomas Tuchel as direct rivals. Made all the tougher having inherited an ageing Toure, Silva and Kompany as opposed to a prime Xavi and Pouyol and imerging messi and Iniesta.

Too early to celebrate Pep and City's demise but by god do I hope it happens. The prick

RedRover

While I agree, his demeanor on Sunday wasn't even one of somebody angry about the result. He looked hopeless epitomized by staring off into space almost oblivious to the match that was happening right in front of him.

He might actually be more than frustrated and disappointed by how things have worked out so far, but I think he'd have far too much pride to leave at the first sign of trouble. I don't believe there's a chance he quits or the board sacks him during or after this season no matter how it goes.
I'm generally of the opinion that it's impossible to tell the state of mind of a bloke you've never met from how he might or might not react on TV. Whether he's frustrated or angry, he might not express that in a way that others might so it's just speculation.

I don't think he'll get sacked and I'd personally be surprised if he quit any time soon.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
haha, well I probably thought it was a fair point and didn't want to massage the notion, but having said that, we are a few years on now and the City "project" has proven itself to be no more special or unique than the "PSG project" or the "Spurs project", "Liverpool project" or indeed the "Chelsea Project". Two titles after 9 years of heavy heavy investment isn't particularly special nor is the current run of form, nor the mental state of your manager.

I don't want to be too obvious in my bias, but of course, I am. But I seriously don't see City making top 4, you are narrowly narrowly ahead of us and going into a game against a rampant Spurs, its a very very real possibility that the stick you've been beating us over the head with "were still above you" is about to evaporate from under Peps feet.

If you are a player looking in from the outside you can see several things-

1. Pep is struggling and there is no doubt what-so-ever that its the case, a loss to Everton away is bad enough but the state of the loss is what should be considerably worrying, whereas we had our own chastening defeat against Chelsea, there was a feeling amongst the fans it was a one off. With Pep he seems to be on a landslide down, The Spurs loss earlier in the season, The embarrassing Liecester result, the loss to Liverpool, The loss to Chelsea, these are completely unacceptable results for someone with such a high pedigree.

Hes lost it, and if I was a player looking in I would be thinking about several other projects that can pay me just as much and seem to be on the right track- and yes that does include United.

2. He hasn't improved a single player at Man City and has arguably destroyed the confidence of Stones, Otamendi, Kompany and Aguero all whom are under-performing and almost clueless on the pitch.

3. His refusal to adapt, his needing of constant reminders of the refereeing policies and physicality of the premier league is baffling, fro someone so detail orientated and seemingly the next massiah in the PL he hasnt done his research and if he has, he thinks he can change the way football is here which in itself is arrogant and laughable and looks to be his biggest downfall this season.

4. No one is sitting still waiting for him to get his act together, he will be left by the wayside unless he pulls his finger out and accepts he will have to win ugly and the best best teams that have ever been champions (including City) have always managed to win or pick up points the ugly way, he seemingly wont accept that and ultimately will be his downfall.

Nothing I have said is controversial, nothing is completely wrong and Im sorry its just like LVGs United, boring passive football with little to no end product the difference is LVG managed some results against the top boys.

There's no two ways of looking at it City are in freefall whilst we are fighting our way up. City fans should be furious and demanding answers rather than blindly following this beautiful idea that with another quarter of a billion spent youll magically start playing like Barcelona AND maybe, just maybe, that style of play simply will never work in the Premier League without the cream of the crop playing for you. Which weather you like it or not you cant simply throw cash at without CL as its not just you who can do it.

Sorry about the essay.
No need to apologise mate. Thanks for putting some meat on your earlier comments, although I have to say they are loaded with a fair smattering of bias and wishful thinking ;)

I must add that I like how you say all our losses in the league this season are unacceptable for a man of his standing despite 3 of them being to teams that currently occupy the top 3 spots in the league, so are we to say that he should never lose a match in the Premier League otherwise he's no good?:lol:

However much of a car crash some of our performances have been, we've still played a fair share of sensational football this season so comparisons to van Gaal's style of play as United manager in that regard are way off beam IMO.

I'm no happy clapper but if any of our fans are "furious and demanding answers" at this stage then they're little more than spoilt clowns. I was as annoyed as anyone about the Everton debacle on Sunday but unless we were to suffer a catastrophic run of results, I believe in giving managers a fair bit more than 5 or 6 months to get things right. In any case, if our whole fanbase were to collectively spit their dummies out now about this, we'd never hear the end of it in some quarters and would be getting told to know our place or something similar. Constructive criticism from fans is fine but "furious and demanding answers"? Crikey, it's a sport and we've had a few ropey results and performances that haven't been up to scratch considering the resources at our disposal. If the owners were running the club into the ground like the Oyston family are doing over at Blackpool then that's where being "furious and demanding answers" comes into play, not when a highly rated manager is having a bit of a wobble.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Seriously, blaming the players from City is ridiculous. They clearly have the best players alongside us in the league. The rest is up to the manager. In individual class they have a way better team then Arsenal or Liverpool, let alone Spurs. With proper managing they should be well clear of them - just like us
They don't, and neither do you. You both maybe have the best players in 2 or 3 positions, but that's it, and even then it's pretty marginal.

I'd put the blame on both City's squad (and thus by implication previous managers) and on the current manager. The squad contains a number of ageing players who should have been replaced, but haven't been, and a number of sub-par players despite the vast sums spent. Meanwhile Pep has been wrongly trying to implement a system/playing style that doesn't fit with the players available to him.

cyberman

Yet they've scored more than United and have more points. They are actually playing some fine attacking football and creating lots of chances, but lack sharpness, and are consequently without confidence and stability. They will regain form eventually.
All of their impressive stats are padded from their freak start through. We gave them a ridiculous head start and have basically caught them up by January.
Their defence is a mess and rely on Zabaleta / Yaya and in between suspensions Fernandinho in midfield.
That's nothing to do with form, that is a severe lack of quality
Their midfield fail to protect their defence and fail to supply the strikers. Aguero has had 3 shots on goal in 3 games for crying out loud.
If they were playing well but just couldn't win then fair enough, there's something to build on there but to put this down to form when they're playing exactly how they have over the last 2 in a bit seasons doesn't make sense to me

Celestiale

They don't, and neither do you. You both maybe have the best players in 2 or 3 positions, but that's it, and even then it's pretty marginal.
Rather 8 positions...
De Gea, Valencia, Carrick, Pogba, Micky, Zlatan, Martial all better players then you have in those positions...if we had to take players from your team into a forced first 11, it would really only be Alderweireld and Alli. City has a shit goaly and shit defence, but apart from that they have vastly better players then your side. Just be glad for such a superb manager, if you'd have Pep, you would probably struggle with Everton for places

Dr Pavel

Yeah there is lot of similarity in the way he talks and analyzes game and how LvG did. For them, the way a football match should be played and how a match should be controlled has different meaning than some other managers. That is of course not wrong but they are too rigid about it and the flaws of their philosophy are being felt more in PL because a)they don't/didn't have very ideal players they would like b) Premier league or English football has its unique culture where a counter to their methodology is ugly yet effective. This ugly or call it simplistic approach they don't think is worthy enough for them to change their footballing principles. For me, if your football philosophy, no matter how inventive, is dependent on having absolute top class players and can't adjust or overcome other approaches which maybe simplistic, it is not the greatest of things.

What you have mentioned about Carra's point is something I was wondering about too. With LvG, our opposition didn't use to have many chances but they usually used to be clear-cut chances because of our style of play. Similar seems to be happening with City.
I don't think the need for top class players is because of the philosophy or tactics. In order to be champions, to beat teams consistently week in week out, requires you to have top players who can perform week in week out. I don't think it matters what style of play is being used.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Rather 8 positions...
De Gea, Valencia, Carrick, Pogba, Micky, Zlatan, Martial all better players then you have in those positions...if we had to take players from your team into a forced first 11, it would really only be Alderweireld and Alli. City has a shit goaly and shit defence, but apart from that they have vastly better players then your side. Just be glad for such a superb manager, if you'd have Pep, you would probably struggle with Everton for places
We were talking about the best players across the league, not just Spurs. And in any case, if you claim to have nine first XI players who are better than those at Spurs, then your league position has some serious explaining away.

Likewise the claim that City have "vastly better" players than Spurs (let alone across the league) across all their midfield and attack is obvious nonsense.

Despite your obvious wish to turn this into a comparison with Spurs players (my post, which you replied to, didn't mention Spurs) - the thread is about City.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I don't think the need for top class players is because of the philosophy or tactics. In order to be champions, to beat teams consistently week in week out, requires you to have top players who can perform week in week out. I don't think it matters what style of play is being used.
I meant need of top players for that philosophy to be successful in terms of objectives, which is being champions or winning trophies when at big clubs. Of course, other styles too need top players but there are some styles which are more adjustable to the squad on hand and can triumph while not being the best squad in terms of talent in competition. Still need to be quite good, mind if objective is to win trophies. For Pep or LvG, there is idealistic approach behind the style they have and if it is not adjustable or flexible then to be successful all of squad need to be tuned with the philosophy completely while being a top class player.

Celestiale

We were talking about the best players across the league, not just Spurs. And in any case, if you claim to have nine first XI players who are better than those at Spurs, then your league position has some serious explaining away.

Likewise the claim that City have "vastly better" players than Spurs (let alone across the league) across all their midfield and attack is obvious nonsense.

Despite your obvious wish to turn this into a comparison with Spurs players (my post, which you replied to, didn't mention Spurs) - the thread is about City.
Yeah, and no other team has the individual class playerwise like City and us. Chelsea coming closer then the rest..but Liverpool and Spurs already fall off quite a bit. Players are by far far not the only deciding factor of how good a team is. I thought last year was the clearest example there is. By now everybody should get, that manager, tactics, teamspirit and luck play a huuge part, and make at least 50% of how good a team is.
You have 2 genuine class player in midfield and attacking positions. City has Agüero, de Bruyne, Silva, Sterling (who is a real good player in form, as he showed in the beginning of the season), and 2 great young talents with Sane and Iheanacho. Nolito, who was a starter for the Spanish national team lately doesn't even have a chance to get in the team. That's a whole different league. Those players don't have to hide from Bayern's or Juve's attackers one bit. Luckily Pep just doesn't bring the best, or even anything close to the best out of them.

Dr Pavel

I meant need of top players for that philosophy to be successful in terms of objectives, which is being champions or winning trophies when at big clubs. Of course, other styles too need top players but there are some styles which are more adjustable to the squad on hand and can triumph while not being the best squad in terms of talent in competition. Still need to be quite good, mind if objective is to win trophies. For Pep or LvG, there is idealistic approach behind the style they have and if it is not adjustable or flexible then to be successful all of squad need to be tuned with the philosophy completely while being a top class player.
Perhaps it is because individualistic players are more common than players who can think as a team. The Dutch squad that got to 3rd place in 2014 was ordinary apart from 1 top class player and 2 former top class players. LvG was able to get the maximum out of that team because the players grew up learning this type of football. They weren't great players. They simply know how to work together as a unit better than a lot of other teams.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Squad isn't very good.

Bravo- Shit
Sagna- Old
Clichy- Meh
Kompany- Injured
Stones- :lol:
Otamendi- Shit
Toure- Lazy
Gundogan- Cripple
Fernando- Meh
Fernandihno- Good
Silva- On the wane
Aguero- Injured
De Brunye- Quality
Sterling- Shit
Navas- Meh
Sane- Who?

The guy has gone from working with 2 of the greatest teams we've seen in the modern era to this. How could he possibly have been expected to win the League with a squad like that? His transfers have been awful though, but generally that's always been the case wherever he's been. However I said it ages ago, Messi was the real reason for that Barca's teams success, Pep was a beneficiary of having him, Xavi and Iniesta. Not to take away all credit from Pep but it was nigh on impossible to beat a team with those 3 in it. At Bayern Pep was a complete and utter failure.
Of the 16 you listed, 4 were bought by him for combined total of around 130m!(Since you have not included Nolito or Jesus, I wont add their fee)
He could have easily had this lineup had he wanted- Assuming that all players who were sold this summer would have preferred a City move (or they could have bought a player of similar quality for the same price) had they been interested, City could have ended up with
Hart- Meunier(6m)(Although not sure how he's been performing) Otamendi Mustafi(35m) Alonso(23m) -Fernandinho Pjanic(27m)- KDB Silva Mkhi(25m) (although they have Nolito (18m))- Aguero.
They could have ended up with this team + 16m pounds(IIRC that's what was paid for Umtiti and Garay)!
So, it's not as if Pep isn't to be blamed

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah, and no other team has the individual class playerwise like City and us. Chelsea coming closer then the rest..but Liverpool and Spurs already fall off quite a bit. Players are by far far not the only deciding factor of how good a team is. I thought last year was the clearest example there is. By now everybody should get, that manager, tactics, teamspirit and luck play a huuge part, and make at least 50% of how good a team is.
You have 2 genuine class player in midfield and attacking positions. City has Agüero, de Bruyne, Silva, Sterling (who is a real good player in form, as he showed in the beginning of the season), and 2 great young talents with Sane and Iheanacho. Nolito, who was a starter for the Spanish national team lately doesn't even have a chance to get in the team. That's a whole different league. Those players don't have to hide from Bayern's or Juve's attackers one bit. Luckily Pep just doesn't bring the best, or even anything close to the best out of them.
Many United fans claim to have the best manager in the league - from which good tactics and team spirit should then flow. So given your claim to have nine first XI players better than those at Spurs, you're left with blaming "bad luck" on the your 6th place league position, because you certainly can't claim to have had a difficult fixture list compared to others.

Nor do I think many will agree that Spurs have only two "genuine class players" in midfield and attacking positions. Besides, has Wanyama been worse than City's equivalent? Has Eriksen been worse than Silva? Has Alli been worse than de Bruyne? Has Kane been worse than Aguero? Has Dembele been worse than whoever? I think not.

Peanut Butter

Many United fans claim to have the best manager in the league - from which good tactics and team spirit should then flow. So given your claim to have nine first XI players better than those at Spurs, you're left with blaming "bad luck" on the your 6th place league position, because you certainly can't claim to have had a difficult fixture list compared to others.

Nor do I think many will agree that Spurs have only two "genuine class players" in midfield and attacking positions. Besides, has Wanyama been worse than City's equivalent? Has Eriksen been worse than Silva? Has Alli been worse than de Bruyne? Has Kane been worse than Aguero? Has Dembele been worse than whoever? I think not.
Yawn. I avoid the Spurs thread for a reason and now you're in here talking the same old rubbish about Spurs. In a City/Pep thread.

It's all so juvenile.

"My team is better than yours."

"No, my team is better than yours and has the bestest players."

"Well, Dembele has a bigger willy than Pogba I know this because I saw it once he also has a Spurs tattoo on his bum."

Etc.

Real school yard stuff.

Celestiale

Nah, i haven't seen too many fans claim that. I for one surely don't claim it. In addition there is more then good/bad manager. There is fitting tactics style, fitting personality for different kind of clubs. Not all that easy, black/white. Mourinho is surely far from a perfect manager for us.
If Wanyama and Fernandinho would have to battle it out for a place, i think most clubs would choose Fernandinho. Also depending on tactics of course, but the more capable player is probably Fernandinho. Silva is a better player then Eriksen, seriously, that shouldn't even be a question. Alli is great, and i think in the long term he is as good as De Bruyne, but still young and learning. I hugely rate Kane, as can be seen in the Kane topic. But he is not as good as Agüero. He can dream of becoming as good as him (maybe he will..somewhere in future..however i doubt it). Dembele is a great player, but also a liability...fits into the Payet bracket. On his day he can do magic, but there are also parts considerably missing at his play..otherwise he wouldn't be a bench player both at Belgium, and mostly Spurs as well.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yawn. I avoid the Spurs thread for a reason and now you're in here talking the same old rubbish about Spurs. In a City/Pep thread.

It's all so juvenile. My team is better than yours. No, my team isn't better than yours and has the bestest players.

Real school yard stuff.
Why don't you address your yawning to the United fan who introduced the comparison with Spurs into this thread? I'll tell you why - it's because you have a pre-determined agenda.

FYI, I have already pointed out to said United fan that it's a City/Pep thread.

Adebesi

I think I would come slightly closer to your position than a lot of people on here, but for those that do think we are way better player for player it doesnt just have to come down to luck, it is also continuity. You have a manager who has been there for some time and a fairly settled squad, whereas we do not have either of those things. Even a great manager may not be able to get things as he wants immediately - but since he has settled in our results have been as good as anyone's.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Nah, i haven't seen too many fans claim that. I for one surely don't claim it. In addition there is more then good/bad manager. There is fitting tactics style, fitting personality for different kind of clubs. Not all that easy, black/white. Mourinho is surely far from a perfect manager for us.
If Wanyama and Fernandinho would have to battle it out for a place, i think most clubs would choose Fernandinho. Also depending on tactics of course, but the more capable player is probably Fernandinho. Silva is a better player then Eriksen, seriously, that shouldn't even be a question. Alli is great, and i think in the long term he is as good as De Bruyne, but still young and learning. I hugely rate Kane, as can be seen in the Kane topic. But he is not as good as Agüero. He can dream of becoming as good as him (maybe he will..somewhere in future..however i doubt it). Dembele is a great player, but also a liability...fits into the Payet bracket. On his day he can do magic, but there are also parts considerably missing at his play..otherwise he wouldn't be a bench player both at Belgium, and mostly Spurs as well.
Forget it ... I can't be bothered to respond further - in a City/Pep thread - to the obvious flaws in some of your claims, of which a combined United-Spurs XI containing just two Spurs players is the most laughable.

With so many vastly superior players I'm sure United will storm the league ... good luck with that. Over and out.

Celestiale

Forget it ... I can't be bothered to respond further - in a City/Pep thread - to the obvious flaws in some of your claims, of which a combined United-Spurs XI containing just two Spurs players is the most laughable.

With so many vastly superior players I'm sure United will storm the league ... good luck with that. Over and out.
I wish you luck, maybe in the far future you will figure out how football works. ;)

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Excuse my stupidity but why are City playing Toure and Zabaleta in midfield?

EDIT; I Know Gundogan is out.

Last edited:

mav_9me

There is clearly no stand out squad. The closest is City's attacking players are cut above everybody else. But of course its no use without proper team play and cohesion. Player names do not matter. We are seeing it everyday in how Conte has Chelsea playing, how Klopp has Liverpool playing particularly in attack, how Jose has improved our defense with Rojo in the middle of it. Do spurs have any exciting sensational attacking talent? No but they have a organized teamwork approach with the manager getting the best out of Eriksen, Delle Ali and Kane. Names do not matter. Team performances are the key. We of all people should know that having won titles with Giggs and Cleverly as part of central midfield.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

Because Pep always wants to be too clever for his own good. That barely worked out, when he had surpreme talent, but when you already have a severely weakened and unbalanced squad like City. it´s a recipe for disaster. Sure sometimes players have not found their best position and it can take their game to another level (Lallana/Milner are two recent examples), but Pep just overdoes it. He doesn´t seem to primarily do it, cause he envisions the player will improve the team in that position. He does it, because he always looks to do something special that will get him more recognition as an innovator and coaching genius. That´s cool, when you move Alaba around, but Zabaleta. Eh.

Overloaded squad in front four talent, average starters everywhere else, and then you move them around and take them out of their natural positions and comfort zones and you get this mess. I thought this might happen, but then they started with the five wins and I felt stupid. :nervous:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Because Pep always wants to be too clever for his own good. That barely worked out, when he had surpreme talent, but when you already have a severely weakened and unbalanced squad like City. it´s a recipe for disaster. Sure sometimes players have not found their best position and it can take their game to another level (Lallana/Milner are two recent examples), but Pep just overdoes it. He doesn´t seem to primarily do it, cause he envisions the player will improve the team in that position. He does it, because he always looks to do something special that will get him more recognition as an innovator and coaching genius. That´s cool, when you move Alaba around, but Zabaleta. Eh.

Overloaded squad in front four talent, average starters everywhere else, and then you move them around and take them out of their natural positions and comfort zones and you get this mess. I thought this might happen, but then they started with the five wins and I felt stupid. :nervous:
Thanks. I was thinking they'd have better options and one of the Fernando's is possibly still suspended.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
There is clearly no stand out squad. The closest is City's attacking players are cut above everybody else. But of course its no use without proper team play and cohesion. Player names do not matter. We are seeing it everyday in how Conte has Chelsea playing, how Klopp has Liverpool playing particularly in attack, how Jose has improved our defense with Rojo in the middle of it. Do spurs have any exciting sensational attacking talent? No but they have a organized teamwork approach with the manager getting the best out of Eriksen, Delle Ali and Kane. Names do not matter. Team performances are the key. We of all people should know that having won titles with Giggs and Cleverly as part of central midfield.
I don´t know why people want to drag down the skills of Tottenham or Liverpool attacking players. They might not be KDB and Aguero, but they are still top class players.

Then you come to defensive midfield and City has Zabaleta/Cakeboy, while the others have Henderson/Lallana, Pogba/Herrera, Kante/Matic, Dier/Wanyama. The same goes for the goalies. Courtois, Lloris, DDG, Cech, heck except for his aerial control, Mignolet is a pretty special shotstopper. City has Bravo. Pep simply bought the wrong players, cause his possession based style only works, when the midfield can shield most dangerous situations from an exposed backline. And then you need smart and athletic defenders to take care of the few balls that come through.

padr81

Supports
Man City

One Fern is suspended, two Fern and gundogan are injured, Delph is recovering and pep is afraid to play Alex garcia for some reason

padr81

Supports
Man City

Pure bull. See my above post as to why.

padr81

Supports
Man City
And one Fern is the good one right?
Yeah. Well when he's not getting sent off. The other guy is the one who stands around doing feck all yet still is more useful defensively then Yaya.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Calling Sterling shit is clearly silly. He's a very good player, and a young one too. He just has a lot of developing still to do. That said, the front four of Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne, and Aguero, is as good as anything in the league on paper. Mouth wateringly good I thought at the start of the season. With Nolito, Sane and Inacheetoh to come in, they have good depth too. Plus Gabriel Jesus is coming in.

The problem, as i see it, is that there is no platform for them to build on. The midfield options were stark at the beginning of the season, and he bolstered them by taking a punt on a talented but injury prone playmaker, for a physically demanding league. That was incredibly naive. The only midfielder they have that is good enough is Fernandinho, but he needs a good partner to go with him.

Also, I don't care what he says about his forwards not finishing, meaning the poor defence is just a consequence, not a cause. Firstly, statements like that undermine the forwards confidence even more; and forwards live off confidence. Secondly, your whole team has the jitters if your defence and goalkeeper look like they are going to concede every time they get attacked. He woefully failed to address what was universally seen as City's achilles heel in the summer. Only bringing in John Stones, a move met with wide derision and amusement, which has predictably turned out to be a short term catastrophe. Whether Stones can become a good center half in the medium to long term remains to be seen; but it doesn't help city now. Especially when the only two players he has to mentor him are Otamendi - who goes to ground so often, he's beginning to resemble a demented break dancer - and Vincent "Oh, I remember him" Kompany. Frankly, for all his faults, Mangala was probably their best CB option. Obviously, he looked like he was an absolutely top drawer defender, until suddenly he didn't; but for me he was on an upward curve. Stones has been a downgrade in every regard, except price.

The Bravo situation is laughable. It's how I imagine we'd all be feeling right now, had Van Gaal replaced De Gea with Cilessen.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
2. He hasn't improved a single player at Man City and has arguably destroyed the confidence of Stones, Otamendi, Kompany and Aguero all whom are under-performing and almost clueless on the pitch.
This is an interesting one for me. When I think about it, I cant think of any decent players who have improved under him at City - which was supposed to be a big selling point. KDB you can argue, although he was already looking good last season. Some of the youngsters like Iheanacho have barely had a sniff though (he is the main one to be fair).

Other than that, he has managed to revitalise a few of the older players - Yaya, Kolarov etc, but those are not the players he should be building his side around.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So Gundogan´s injury history was unknown to Pep? And one 31 year old Fernandinho is enough cover for DM.
You said he played them because he wanted to be clever when in reality he played them cause his other 3.5 Cm were unavailable. Should he really have expected 4 central midfielders to be out at the same time?

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is an interesting one for me. When I think about it, I cant think of any decent players who have improved under him at City - which was supposed to be a big selling point. KDB you can argue, although he was already looking good last season. Some of the youngsters like Iheanacho have barely had a sniff though (he is the main one to be fair).

Other than that, he has managed to revitalise a few of the older players - Yaya, Kolarov etc, but those are not the players he should be building his side around.
Fernandinho has improved although he was one of our best last season but I agree none of our younger players have kicked on. He's also far more reluctant to give youth a chance, in the efl cup against United Alex garcia was our best player. Hard to fathom why he's not getting a look in and Iheanacho has regressed massively.