Is it the media portraying negativity at the club?

Josep Dowling

I feel since the Liverpool game there has been a whole host of negativity surrounding the club.

In truth why? We have lost one game, granted against unlikely opponents but every club loses a football game.

We are second in the league, basically through to the next round of the Champions League for the first time in years and still remain in the League cup. And this is without one of our best players.

Why is there so much negativity? Is there really fan unrest or is the media simply creating this feeling?

The media perception of the club is becoming tiresome. First we weren’t winning, now we’re not winning with enough style.

Tonight is a prime example, we won 2-0 whilst Chelsea got hammered 3-0 to Roma, all the talk is about Jose’s programme notes.

Dante

Average bang
The 3-0 Chelsea game is on the front page of the BBC site (but the United game isn't), the top story on The Guardian website, the top story on the Sun website, and the top story on SSN.

Maybe you're just hearing more about "Jose’s programme notes" because you support United and that's the kind of news you'd naturally gravitate towards.

Or maybe it's confirmation bias because you're overly sensitive about criticism towards the club.

Hoof the ball

Sells more papers to create a long-term narrative which they can latch onto. As soon as Chelsea pick up a few wins, that'll be that, but even if we win playing Mourinho's way, the media know they can peddle the narrative that we're not as helpful to English football as our more expansive neighbours.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Manchester United are the team everyone hates. They are the team that everyone uses to get clicks and views. Hated, adored, but never ignored.

Paying attention to the media is a waste of time.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Have you seen the Mourinho Criticizes Fans Over Lukaku thread? Amazing how many fans buy into this soap opera. Bunch of read headline first, comment second motherfeckers.

el3mel

Classic. " United in Crisis and Mourinho in meltdown " sells better than " United is a good team and it's clicking ". The second headline looks boring even for me, while everyone will jump to read/hear the first one.

Green_Red

Manchester United are the team everyone hates. They are the team that everyone uses to get clicks and views. Hated, adored, but never ignored.

Paying attention to the media is a waste of time.
Like it

RedStarUnited

i think its what Jose wants, He knows what he is doing.

Its either this whole they are against us thing or the media write about how great Pep's Man City are every week. I know which one Jose would prefer...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I’d love to know how many fans are really taking exception to our style of play at the moment?

Bar the Huddersfield game I’ve enjoyed this season, take the Spurs game for example that late Martial winner will be a memory I look back at fondly for quite a while because in such a tight tense big game it was a big goal and a big win

Gary Neville was spot on last night, the problem Jose/Man Utd have is the media are hyping what Man City are doing to such an extent anything less from us is seen as massively second best

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This idea that the media are out there to get us, Man United, specifically is one of the most childish and cringe-worthy things I read among our fans. The media sells papers. Sensationalizing poor performances of top clubs sells papers. They'd do the same to Chelsea, City and Spurs.

Yeesheng

hating on united is the cool thing to do. and rival fans are always worried about us.

in the way that we like to pay attention to Liverpool, a large group of every other rival team's fans probably do the same for us.

that's why for us,
(1) defending well is boring (not for Chelsea, that's just good coaching),
(2) winning big = poor opponents or opponents playing poorly (for other teams the media celebrate their wins as though they only looked at the score lines),
(3) winning narrowly means we are not good enough in offense (other teams show grit),
(4) mourinho's behaviour is shameful (other managers are just passionate)

ignore the media really..

Theonas

Scout
This idea that the media are out there to get us, Man United, specifically is one of the most childish and cringe-worthy things I read among our fans. The media sells papers. Sensationalizing poor performances of top clubs sells papers. They'd do the same to Chelsea, City and Spurs.
Yes it's another borderline Trumpish pheneomena. The lying fake media hates us and out to get us. Cringe worthy indeed it is. You get it when Liverpool or City fans act like that with their insecurity problems, what on earth do we have to be insecure about.

Dante

Average bang
hating on united is the cool thing to do. and rival fans are always worried about us.

in the way that we like to pay attention to Liverpool, a large group of every other rival team's fans probably do the same for us.

that's why for us,
(1) defending well is boring (not for Chelsea, that's just good coaching),
(2) winning big = poor opponents or opponents playing poorly (for other teams the media celebrate their wins as though they only looked at the score lines),
(3) winning narrowly means we are not good enough in offense (other teams show grit),
(4) mourinho's behaviour is shameful (other managers are just passionate)

ignore the media really..
All of that was the case for Mourinho when he was at Chelsea, too.

Dante

Average bang
Yes it's another borderline Trumpish pheneomena. The lying fake media hates us and out to get us. Cringe worthy indeed it is. You get it when Liverpool or City fans act like that with their insecurity problems, what on earth do we have to be insecure about.
It's a trend that exists all over the forum at the moment, unfortunately. Even the Player Performance threads are full of it. Bad enough that people believe it about the club. Even worse when they take it down to the level of individual players.

It's probably down to the nature of modern social media culture. If you're not being ultra-reductive in your view, there's no point in saying it at all.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Except not many people care about Chelsea City or Spurs so won’t get many clicks, so no, they don’t do the same to other clubs.

Theonas

Scout
It's a trend that exists all over the forum at the moment, unfortunately. Even the Player Performance threads are full of it. Bad enough that people believe it about the club. Even worse when they take it down to the level of individual players.

It's probably down to the nature of modern social media culture. If you're not being ultra-reductive in your view, there's no point in saying it at all.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yeesheng

All of that was the case for Mourinho when he was at Chelsea, too.
hmm my recollection was a ton of plaudits for chelsea (first stint) under mourinho being a well oiled machine and ruthless against smaller sides.

maybe the difference is just the standings. so we can’t be second. we have to be first.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I feel since the Liverpool game there has been a whole host of negativity surrounding the club.

In truth why? We have lost one game, granted against unlikely opponents but every club loses a football game.

We are second in the league, basically through to the next round of the Champions League for the first time in years and still remain in the League cup. And this is without one of our best players.

Why is there so much negativity? Is there really fan unrest or is the media simply creating this feeling?

The media perception of the club is becoming tiresome. First we weren’t winning, now we’re not winning with enough style.

Tonight is a prime example, we won 2-0 whilst Chelsea got hammered 3-0 to Roma, all the talk is about Jose’s programme notes.
Yep and the emptyheaded goldfish supporters we have now eat that shit up

LoneStar

Considering a lot of people detest Jose here itself for no reason, and on other social media, it's not surprising that the media come up with bs clickbait articles. Such 'fans' deserve such a media.

Dante

Average bang
The 3-0 Chelsea game is on the front page of the BBC site (but the United game isn't), the top story on The Guardian website, the top story on the Sun website, and the top story on SSN.

Maybe you're just hearing more about "Jose’s programme notes" because you support United and that's the kind of news you'd naturally gravitate towards.

Or maybe it's confirmation bias because you're overly sensitive about criticism towards the club.
Except not many people care about Chelsea City or Spurs so won’t get many clicks, so no, they don’t do the same to other clubs.
That's literally the opposite of what's happening. The OP couldn't be more wrong.

Theonas

Scout
hmm my recollection was a ton of plaudits for chelsea (first stint) under mourinho being a well oiled machine and ruthless against smaller sides.

maybe the difference is just the standings. so we can’t be second. we have to be first.
You must be joking. Chelsea were not criticized for their defensive game in Mourinho's first stint? Where do you think that whole reputation started? Of course there were a lot of plaudits as well, how could there not have been when they steam rolled the league but they were definitely plenty of "buts" about how their game was too cagey and machine like. You have to also remember that Chelsea team was not compared directly to someone like the current City side who whether we like it or not, we will be compared against.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
i think its what Jose wants, He knows what he is doing.
I think his sulky demeanour with the media is because he's fed up of everything he says being twisted and turned and it's his (fairly unsuccessful) way of being as dull as possible.

Parry Gallister

The guardian in the last 3 days has 5 articles about the subject -https://www.theguardian.com/football/manchester-united

Do agree am noticing it because it's United, - the tone of a lot of the Chelsea coverage for example as been quite negative.

I do think these Jose has a dig, Jose defends Lukaku bullshit stories contributes to some of the negativity from our own fans online, helps create a crap mood. Not a big deal ultimately, and if people keep clicking they'll keep at it, but makes it more of a chore in the football forums, especially as it's a bunch of nothing comments.

cyberman

Jose meltdown is the story the media wants to write but the problem is we keep on winning. Pep could be under the same pressure if they drop points between now and our meeting and we go above them with a win. Its not implausible.
As it stands its that close.
Its a rather dull league if you think about it. All the big signings are scoring goals, Nobody is really underperforming.
Hell theres a chance that a side who have won 10 out of 11 games could find themselves only 2 points clear after Sunday.
Conte will pick up the slack from here on in. The media now have an actual story to follow.

MrPooni

Reminds me of the beginning of Van Gaal's second season where the reigning champions Chelsea were visibly imploding but all the focus was on us. Prime example:

Denis79

Because they fear we will return to past glory, Face it, most peiple hate us and I know we have ways to go but it feels we are on the right track. Let them talk, it means we are doing something right.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I feel like most Man Utd fans, generally, the majority, aren't even that bothered about the football on offer.
It's the neutrals/media talking at length about it recently. Making it into a huge thing.

It's also why I find Jose taking aim at the United fans recently odd, because the vast majority of us, at OT/traveling are firmly behind him and not too fussed about the football as we're getting results.
Lets be honest, we're just pleased we're winning again.

Runner

Seems like everything i see on facebook about united is negative.

Fridge chutney

Other fans can relish United's failings during dry patches for their own clubs. Gives them something to "cheer".

Except this becomes complicated when we are not failing, so a failing narrative must be created to appease the masses. This narrative generates clicks and revenue for the media, because the masses lap up the "enemy of football" narrative, and us United fans are part of this revenue stream because we read it and get annoyed by it.

At the end of the day, we're doing well, better than we have done in awhile. Enjoy it while we can.

United_We_Stand

So this is the "No, the latest episode of drama was the media's fault, not Mourinho's fault!" thread? :wenger:

Yes of course the media tends to exaggerate news. And when it comes to United, they may even fabricate stories, because any controversy sells, much less about United. But you can't absolve Mourinho and his theatrics from creating this mess. Mourinho is partially to blame for it.