Is it worth playing McTominay up front?

Jack-C20

Not seen the goals yet and I’m holding out because I’m actually going to enjoy watching MOTD for the first time in ages, but I’ve always thought his best quality is much further forward. Well to be honest, I’ve always said his best quality is his striking of the ball but if he can grab the odd goal I’d be happy to have come off the bench when needed. Still don’t want him anywhere near midfield.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I trust Scott more in front of goal than Rashford. He's got the instinct.
Said it in his performance thread, but if a chance falls in the box to someone, McT would probably be my first or second choice in our team for it to fall too

LInkash

Let's just make our main tactic lump it up to Mctominay, would be a better tactic that what we have been playing this season.

Crashoutcassius

We shouldn't play him up front... but the guy should move. He is really blossoming and won't play under Eth. There are teams he could have an impact at. He really needs to force a move and could be a top 8 p/starter at the right club

OrcaFat

If you look at McT's stats on Fbref they tell a different story he as an 87.8% success rate on short passing and 88.8 success rate on medium passing his weakness is long passing which is not so important in a striker role, In 102 games he has made 315 tackles and interceptions and average of 3 per game, emphasising his pressing ability along side a further 135 blocks, added to that he has won 239 arial duels add to that it was as a striker he was first recruited the scouts certainly saw something in him and while I would not play him ahead of Hojlund he has to be a better option than Rashford who just sulks when played as a striker and unlke Martial he's actually likely to be fit when required of course we could always spend £50m on a bench warmer.
Feck it, I’m in.

Although I must tell you I don’t give a shit about stats, I just don’t trust them. Unless it’s Goals or Points or something unambiguous, I trust my own eyes instead.

Nevertheless, I’m not happy with Rashford this season and McT is out-scoring him so I’m up for anything at this point.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You cannot NOT play him up front.

Scott has been with United since he was 5, and I have watched every single senior game he's played for us, ever. We know everything about him, but none of that matters. It doesn't matter he came hairline close to being sold.

Right here, right now - let him score goals. Period. It would be UNTHINKABLE for him to not start next game and we know he is horrible in the deep of midfield, so he needs to start in some attacking role. We have zero goals in us, we need him

The Dane

The first goal today was class and a true strikers goal. Not sure I would pick him over Hojlund though but back in the Weghorst days I often wondered why ETH didn’t play McT instead in that role.

OrcaFat

The first goal today was class and a true strikers goal. Not sure I would pick him over Hojlund though but back in the Weghorst days I often wondered why ETH didn’t play McT instead in that role.
I believe if we tried it you would soon see why. But he appears to be damn useful in a “kitchen sink” situation. Scored more goals in five minutes than Weghorst did in 20-plus games.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
At least mctominay knows not to hit the ball towards the keeper. The goal is 22’ wide but martial seems to want to find the keeper most times.
Anyway, to answer the question; yes.

Oscar Bonavena

Worth chucking on for the last 10 minutes of a game if we're chasing an equaliser or winner, he seems to have a knack of arriving in the box at the right time and can finish.

Earth Wind and McGuire

Need to get him in striker drills on the training ground and use him as an impact sub. Scotty is the loyal sort and I’m sure he would be more than happy to be a bench player who gets regular minutes like Ole used to. The higher up the pitch he is, the better he plays.

SungSam7

I said it around this time last year when Martial was injured (shock) and we had no other player to turn to, that McT should be tried up front. The guy made a great strikers run to get on the end of an incoming cross in the Europa league last year. Can't remember who but it was late onto the game and the run was perfect and the finish was great. I'll try find the clip

Edit: it was against Aston Villa not in the EL

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mctominay use to be a striker Didn’t he? Makes sense to use him coming off the bench when we’re chasing a goal. He’s always been better when he’s played further forward. Scores for fun for Scotland. I’d rather him of came on earlier instead or Martial and had him and Højlund up front. 2 physically strong players.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
You cannot NOT play him up front.

Scott has been with United since he was 5, and I have watched every single senior game he's played for us, ever. We know everything about him, but none of that matters. It doesn't matter he came hairline close to being sold.

Right here, right now - let him score goals. Period. It would be UNTHINKABLE for him to not start next game and we know he is horrible in the deep of midfield, so he needs to start in some attacking role. We have zero goals in us, we need him
Ye he could be our wildcard in getting more goals. Problem is what system would we use? Could he play as a 10? Don’t think he’s creative enough but it could turn into a 4-2-4 when attacking. I don’t want us to turn into a crossing/lump ball up pitch team though. ETH is trying to clearly create a technical team… but at the minute he’s doing whatever’s possible to get the wins.

Alex the Red

Yes, definitely. I think we should have played him up front at times last season when we struggled scoring. He obviously has a goal scorers instinct as shown by his Scotland performances. Even had he not scored I don’t think he would have been worse than the alternatives. I don’t understand why ETH never took a punt.

NewGlory

Ye he could be our wildcard in getting more goals. Problem is what system would we use? Could he play as a 10? Don’t think he’s creative enough but it could turn into a 4-2-4 when attacking. I don’t want us to turn into a crossing/lump ball up pitch team though. ETH is trying to clearly create a technical team… but at the minute he’s doing whatever’s possible to get the wins.
All good points. I think he plays second striker or #8 for Scotland and does pretty well? Definitely not a #10.

Also, I wonder if we should have played him as a striker instead of Rashford, when we didn't have Hojlund. I know couple goals doesn't make McT a striker, but for FFS could he not have done a better job than Rashford as a CF? Makes you wonder

Withnail

All good points. I think he plays second striker or #8 for Scotland and does pretty well? Definitely not a #10.

Also, I wonder if we should have played him as a striker instead of Rashford, when we didn't have Hojlund. I know couple goals doesn't make McT a striker, but for FFS could he not have done a better job than Rashford as a CF? Makes you wonder
Does he? They used to play him at CB?

Yakuza_devils

McT is our modern day Ole/Sherringham. Super sub!

He has better finishing skills than Martial and Mount.

Pscholes18

Where does he play in the Scotland squad? I don't mind him playing if he is scoring but you can't put him in a DM role.....can't start him over Hoj either.

NewGlory

The lad comes on and scores two goals and some of you lose your minds. The very definition of a knee jerk reaction.
Two goals in 4 minutes of extra time to win a hopeless game. Which also happens to be more than all of the goals Rashford has scored this season. And he is a top scorer in Euros qaualifier.

We are hardly overreacting.

Withnail

Two goals in 4 minutes of extra time to win a hopeless game. Which also happens to be more than all of the goals Rashford has scored this season. And he is a top scorer in Euros qaualifier.

We are hardly overreacting.
Yeah you are. He's not a striker and never will be. He's scored goals before on occasion. I'm delighted for him but it proves nothing.

Casemiro's our top goal scorer this season but shouldn't be starting games so what does that prove?

norm87cro

Look the lad has done very well for himself and I am pleased for him.
He is not rubbish and he is no Brian Robson either. The guy can obviously contribute upfront and is an option in the last half an hour and if ETH actually rated him (which he doesnt) he would know this and use him more often.
Unfortunately yesterday was probably a desperation move and ETH doesnt really rate Scott that much and wont be using him in favour of his own players (and by this point I really dont know what Casemiro has done to varant his first team status)

90 + 5min

In what position. Whenever he starts he offers nothing.
Because he was put wide so Casemiro and other could play central. We have to many central midfielders that tenHag want to play at same time. Big, big problem. For balance.

McTominay needs to play as one of the central midfielders. From my point of view give him more attacking role. But seeing Casemiro struggle. Put McTominay there together with Amrabat. Give them specific roles.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's probably one of the best finishers in the squad, which I don't think can be denied. When he gets a chance, he generally puts it away.
Indeed.
When you look at the goals he has scored recently for Scotland and yesterday, he is a very clean striker of the ball. And he takes the shot quite early.
As to whether he should be starting up front, it really depends on who to leave out.
The obvious would be Rashford who has become more like Martial than Martial.

The Dane

I agree with some here that there is a tendency to get carried away by a good performance by McT yesterday, but that being said I have always been of the opinion that he is someone who belongs at United, not only for sentimental reasons but also because of his all round qualities. He is useful as a sub both when we are chasing a goal like yesterday and when we need some extra muscles in midfield at the end to defend our position.

Bwuk

Where does he play in the Scotland squad? I don't mind him playing if he is scoring but you can't put him in a DM role.....can't start him over Hoj either.
Just off the striker. Our best form lately has been McTominay & McGinn just off the striker. Something like this.

Gunn
Hendry - Porteous - Tierney
Hickey - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson
McSauce - McGinn
Adams​

He’s not a 10 in the traditional playmaking sense, but gets about the pitch using his physicality and makes great runs to get onto the end of things.

Onana
Varane - Evans - Maguire
Dalot - Casemiro - Amrabat - Regulion
McSauce - Bruno
Hojlund​

That’s probably the equivalent in our set up with who’s available?

steeeb

Hes a great player to throw on in the death up top amd he does consistently deliver goods in that scenario.

Although hes also no worse starting than our other options.

I do think hes best when he can roam free role though - which is much more possible when thrown on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Said it before but he would be really good in our side but we can't afford him. His best position is essentially the same one we use Doucoure in. Madrid have shown that it's possible to play at a high level with a player of his ilk if you have the tactics right and to a lesser extent we (Scotland) have too.

Idxomer

Said it before but he would be really good in our side but we can't afford him. His best position is essentially the same one we use Doucoure in. Madrid have shown that it's possible to play at a high level with a player of his ilk if you have the tactics right and to a lesser extent we (Scotland) have too.
I'm not sure if you're serious but McTominay isn't the same ilk as Bellingham.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm not sure if you're serious but McTominay isn't the same ilk as Bellingham.
I am serious. By same ilk I mean their best positions. Both are best placed in the position between midfield and the striker. Obviously Bellingham is a much better player with more facets to his game and that ability allows him to play deeper but they're both incredibly effective in the former role.

Idxomer

I am serious. By same ilk I mean their best positions. Both are best placed in the position between midfield and the striker.
The thing is Bellingham is a creative player who can play a great pass at any time. Madrid or any top team wouldn't put a player in that position who can't pass the ball at a good level.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The thing is Bellingham is a creative player who can play a great pass at any time. Madrid or any top team wouldn't put a player in that position who can't pass the ball at a good level.
Of course. Bellingham is a genuine world class player. McT isn't and won't be but is a solid PL player that can be very effective if used correctly. His 6 goals in the Euro qualifiers and yesterday aren't luck, he's got a very good knack of being in the right place and has excellent finishing.

Sgreddevil

He could get a hat trick if marrial was not offside. Crazy, that could be the fastest hat trick?
If we use him well, he could become our own frank lampard.

Denis79

I am serious. By same ilk I mean their best positions. Both are best placed in the position between midfield and the striker. Obviously Bellingham is a much better player with more facets to his game and that ability allows him to play deeper but they're both incredibly effective in the former role.
Pretty much how ETH wants to play Mount I guess?