Is it written in the stars for England?

Ibi Dreams

Hard to imagine a better chance than this. No teams that should worry them until the final, and potentially a semi and final at Wembley.

And they look alright, too. Not massively impressive but solid, good spirit and teamwork. It's a very good chance

Abraxas

I think we've got to be very careful with our approach in the next games. On paper there is a big difference between England and these sides in terms of quality individuals. But the worry may be that after such a big result at Wembley there becomes something of a lull, a psychological slackening off. We really cannot afford for that to happen as these teams can be very solid and hard to beat.

Vanrouge

Because who did away with them is still there, obviously. I understand that logic if the draw gives you a 'small' opponent out of an apparently weak group, but it's something else when your small opponent is still in the competition because they prevailed against much higher rated opposition, and not by sheer luck, but through tenacity and determination.
I think to go along with your interpretation, you have to assume that the less fancied teams will raise their game again and again rather than in a one-off. It's possible, but reversion to the mean is more likely, no? A team rated fortieth playing like a top ten team in one game, for example, is more likely to play like a team rated fortieth in the following game. Whatever you think of FIFA's rankings, you can't get past the fact that England are rated fourth in the world.

Paul_Scholes18

England was the bookies favorites before and it looks like the bookies for once got it fairly right.

Although still a long way, but I give England more than 50% chance in all the last 3 games even a final vs Belgium.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It’s our best chance in years but you still need to beat the teams in front of you and we have every chance of a tough final if we even make it that far. No disrespect to the German fans but this was far from the Germany of old

Raredaredevil

I'm devastated. Congrats and good luck to England for the rest of the tournament. Hope you go on to win the Euros. I was right, England was a nightmare match up for Germany and it is funny I actually told my friend that I predicted a England 1-0, 2-0 win or 0-0.

K Stand Knut

The lack of goals conceded is a big positive for them, obviously.

The team who concedes the least goals tend to give themselves a very good chance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think we've got to be very careful with our approach in the next games. On paper there is a big difference between England and these sides in terms of quality individuals. But the worry may be that after such a big result at Wembley there becomes something of a lull, a psychological slackening off. We really cannot afford for that to happen as these teams can be very solid and hard to beat.
Southgate has to make 2-3 changes for next round.

Think Jack in is a cert and given Phillips and Rice are both on yellows and would be out for SF if booked then don't want to be going into that with Henderson starting his first game in over 5 months.

If he just keeps the same 11 as today that gives Sweden or Ukraine more of a chance. Think Mount will return aswell given he'll have a few days of proper training. James for Trippier looks another likely change.

Raredaredevil

England odds to win the tournament is now 3, shortened from 8 before the game against Germany. Clear favourites to win the whole thing now.

OldBoyLanny

For England it's practically a home tournament and they have an easy road to the final, in which they will be playing at home (if they make it). So yes, England are clear favorites to win at this point.

Trequarista10

You English are so unbelievably cocky that's why the world seems to hate you. "Written in the stars", "It's coming home", my goodness, please give me a break. How nauseating and cringey. At least wait till you beat us first. Christ.
Nah, you misunderstand English self deprecation. Which makes your post come across as...slightly arrogant...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
By far the best possible chance ever. You play most of the ganes at home and the road to the final is wide open.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think England will beat Ukraine about 3-0 as this was bruising match for them and they've lost a few players to injury.

Certainly sort of match where a few more creative players should start and can get by fine with 4-3-3 so expect a few changes.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's definitely coming home. Time to force Europe's tiny mouth wide open and force our massive English dong right in there. Brrrexit!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Should get to the final now you'd think and will be at home.

England should have won the Euros before, amazing we haven't really.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Easy win for England.
5-0 against Ukraine, and another 5-0 against Denmark, then trash Italy 3-0 in the Final.

Easy trophy for England

Pickle85

Nope I disagree with you there. Almost everyone who is not English, dislikes the English for many different reasons. Anyway moving on. Come on Germany. Dis destroyen sie Anglia
Worked out well there then.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
England was the bookies favorites before and it looks like the bookies for once got it fairly right.

Although still a long way, but I give England more than 50% chance in all the last 3 games even a final vs Belgium.
I've always wondered how the algorithms for bookies work. What variables are they looking at to determine the odds. They must have become extremely good at it by now.

Vanrouge

I'm devastated. Congrats and good luck to England for the rest of the tournament. Hope you go on to win the Euros. I was right, England was a nightmare match up for Germany and it is funny I actually told my friend that I predicted a England 1-0, 2-0 win or 0-0.
Why? Genuine question. Why do you want England to win? You've said the world hates England, a position you seem to share, so why are you insisting that England will and should win? Belgium are number one in the rankings, and Italy are strong, so England are perhaps the third strongest team left. I honestly can't figure out your angle, unless you're just trolling.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why? Genuine question. Why do you want England to win? You've said the world hates England, a position you seem to share, so why are you insisting that England will and should win? Belgium are number one in the rankings, and Italy are strong, so England are perhaps the third strongest team left. I honestly can't figure out your angle, unless you're just trolling.
Fishing for likes

Inter Yer Nan

They’ll be favorites in every game but I’m sure they’ll all be difficult matches however many they play. Good thing is that England are very solid defensively and have a consistency. It’s a great chance to win it but I’m sure Italy, Spain and Belgium will be saying that too.

tomaldinho1

Hard to imagine a better chance than this. No teams that should worry them until the final, and potentially a semi and final at Wembley.

And they look alright, too. Not massively impressive but solid, good spirit and teamwork. It's a very good chance
Exactly. This covid setup means we basically have a home turf Euros and a favourable draw to the final. It’s the best chance we’ll get in my opinion.

I do think we rode our luck too much today - Pickford made two important saves, the Havertz one was insane, Phillips when you see the replay arguably should have seen red, Mueller fluffed his lines.

We’re resilient and have an excellent defence and good attack with options - Grealish is the difference offensively though, we didn’t really do much at all until he came on bar that Kane chance from the deflected tackle and long range shot. The guy simply has to start. Sterling was good but you need someone who links it all up and can pick the right pass around the box, Grealish has come on now and been the difference in two games on the trot.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
You English are so unbelievably cocky that's why the world seems to hate you. "Written in the stars", "It's coming home", my goodness, please give me a break. How nauseating and cringey. At least wait till you beat us first. Christ.
iIt was written in the stars! It’s coming home!
Happy? :lol:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
R16 - Germany
QF- Ukraine
SF - Czech Republic/ Denmark

Surely its now or never.

TrustInOle

R16 - Germany
QF- Ukraine

Surely its now or never.
I've seen the "golden generation" be knocked out from opponents we should have steamrolled, take each game as it comes, still alot to play for! Saying that, Ukraine busting their gut for 120 minutes, playing after us, you have to fancy your chances but we have yet to see how we deal with a low block defense.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
R16 - Germany
QF- Ukraine

Surely its now or never.
Yep.

This is the best chance England have had to win something that I can remember.

They have as easy a run to the final as you could reasonably hope for and a squad full of quality. They should be favourites to win the whole thing at this point.

Kaos

No chance they don’t beat a pretty plucky Ukrainian side, and I don’t see them losing against Denmark or the Czechs.

Final will be interesting with Italy posing the biggest threat IMO. Spain are a shadow of their glorious former selves, and Belgium don’t really match England’s quality.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No. Denmark are winning the euros, which means england won't make the final