Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero

If we're genuinely interested it's such a lame excuse. We've had the entire year to sort something out.

It's like we don't even start working on anything until the transfer window begins.

RkkMan

If we're genuinely interested it's such a lame excuse. We've had the entire year to sort something out.

It's like we don't even start working on anything until the transfer window begins.
How many transfers worth over €90-100m do you know got completed before the window was open? Personal terms won't be a problem but BVB may not want to agree to a fee for such an important player till after the season ends and nothing Utd can do about that

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Really does feel like it every summer. I'd love for us to get this done quickly but with our track record one can expect a prolonged saga of back and forths over the course of this window.

cyberman

There were factors in play that didnt allow early agreements on fees etc surely? Dortmund didnt even know they would have CL football until last week. Maybe they want to wait until after the Euros to raise his value? At least the deadline seems to be bullshit

ShinjiNinja26

First ultra reliable BVB source to jump in on this
Bollocks. If we’re genuinely serious then it could be done before the Euros. Plus Dortmund were banging on all last summer about wanting any deal to be done early and were setting deadlines so I’d imagine this summer won’t be any different. I’m certain players have completed transfers before while at a major tournaments, they just get the medicals done wherever the national team squad is based.

pascell

First ultra reliable BVB source to jump in on this
Sounds like Dortmund are hoping for a sale after the Euros in case he gains more interest through his performances for England, thus creating a bidding war. Dangerous game to play, clubs looking for a winger this summer could very well look elsewhere and get their transfers sorted before or during the Euros.

The White Pele

The Kane distraction I feel has opened the door to us missing out on Sancho. Hopefully I am wrong
This is my worry too. I feel like the Sancho deal could be a relatively simple one to get done this time if we are sure he is our primary target. But as a former striker himself, Ole might view the chance to sign Kane as too good to turn down.

You would hope we have learned from previous summers but if we haven’t, and mistakes are repeated, you can imagine us stalling on Sancho whilst working on a deal for Kane. That would inevitably take us past the Euros and if we missed out on Kane at that stage then we may have missed the boat for Sancho. Not only that, but while distracted by the marquee signing of Kane or Sancho we could then neglect the other areas that need strengthening and miss out on other potentially good deals.

As much as I would like Kane, the only way to approach this window in my view is to execute on plans we already had in place, which I assume would be Sancho. Get Sancho done early then see what we can do for the other areas we will have been looking at such as CB, DM, backup RB.

Imagine the benefit it would give us at the start of the season if we have already signed a couple of players and had them available for pre-season, say, Sancho and one other like Torres, Bissouma or Trippier.

In the Fergie glory years I’m sure that if an opportunity like Kane presented itself then extra funds would be made available to go and get it done. We had recently splurged on Saha and Smith when Rooney became available. Seems very unlikely these days.

Regardless, get our business done early and then see what the Kane situation is like after the Euros.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds like Dortmund are hoping for a sale after the Euros in case he gains more interest through his performances for England, thus creating a bidding war. Dangerous game to play, clubs looking for a winger this summer could very well look elsewhere and get their transfers sorted before or during the Euros.
Dortmund wants to do this early and agreed a fee with Sancho. Dragging this saga to a later date surely comes from Uniteds side and will only increase the risk of failure to seal the deal.

babsk

We need to get this one done early before other clubs start sniffing around and his price skyrockets

pascell

Dortmund wants to do this early and agreed a fee with Sancho. Dragging this saga to a later date surely comes from Uniteds side and will only increase the risk of failure to seal the deal.
The paper quoted is from Dortmund side, I think it's them this time holding out in this case to drum up further interest and most likely, buy a suitable replacement for Sancho. I think one of the uncertainties mentioned is Dortmund and their replacement for Sancho, I feel they've found a few but can't get them for the price they were hoping, or other teams have got their ahead of them.

Another uncertainty is that United are the only club to have bid for him in the past and who hold a firm interest in him, but we may now move for Kane.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The paper quoted is from Dortmund side, I think it's them this time holding out in this case to drum up further interest and most likely, buy a suitable replacement for Sancho. I think one of the uncertainties mentioned is Dortmund and their replacement for Sancho, I feel they've found a few but can't get them for the price they were hoping, or other teams have got their ahead of them.

Another uncertainty is that United are the only club to have bid for him in the past and who hold a firm interest in him, but we may now move for Kane.
I understand that this information comes from the Dortmund side, but I don't think that this is a news about what Dortmund want, but more about what they expect. Increasing the price or starting a bid war would mean ignoring the gentleman's agreement they have with Sancho, and I don't see Dortmund doing that. The risk of having an unhappy player becomes much too high if they then fail to sell him and keep him, despite someone bidding what Dortmund agreed on with Sancho.

So if this news comes from Dortmund side I view this more as an insider information that no one will do a sufficient bid before the Euro starts. This could either mean, that clubs want to see him there as the final evaluation before bidding for him (or simply to make sure he does not get injured in case they don't want to buy a heavily injured player, which would be understandable), or that interested clubs simply are not ready doing the preparations on their side (United only started to take care about this stuff once the transfer window opens would fit this picture).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dortmund desperately trying to get what we were prepared to pay last year. Can't see that happening.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I would pay 100 million euro's for Kane before paying 100 million euro's for Sancho.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Amad and Elanga looked decent yesterday, does that change the thinking?
I'd be very surprised, if you think we played without a proper no 9 yesterday as well, so Sancho could just replace James and improve the squad drastically. I think Elanga will go out on loan.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need to get this one done early before other clubs start sniffing around and his price skyrockets
His price can’t skyrocket. Very very few clubs could afford to pay well over 100m+ for any player in this market, including Mbappe, Haaland etc. only difference is, at around same price he may attract more interest, if he had good Euro.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Dortmund desperately trying to get what we were prepared to pay last year. Can't see that happening.
Yeah, you really showed them. I'm sure they're devastated.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not saying they are, but they're the ones clearly leaking that info, so they're the ones that clearly want to make a deal.
Leaking infos and wannabe Machiavellinism isn't common practice among German clubs. It's straight forward: They don't want to sell but have a gentlemen's agreement to let Sancho leave for a certain fee. The moment they have fulfilled their part of the agreement and nobody showed up, they're happy to walk away from the transfer just like last year. If you believe you can lower the price by muscle flexing and what not you're basically coming across as someone negotiating a price for an eggplant in a super market. The player has a price tag and the price tag has an expiration date. Simple.

arthurka

Don't care how much he costs can't stand another season with Daniel James running up and down that wing with little else going for him.

If the owners would have bought us genuine first team players on the right wing and a midfielder we would have given City at least a real fight.

pascell

I understand that this information comes from the Dortmund side, but I don't think that this is a news about what Dortmund want, but more about what they expect. Increasing the price or starting a bid war would mean ignoring the gentleman's agreement they have with Sancho, and I don't see Dortmund doing that. The risk of having an unhappy player becomes much too high if they then fail to sell him and keep him, despite someone bidding what Dortmund agreed on with Sancho.

So if this news comes from Dortmund side I view this more as an insider information that no one will do a sufficient bid before the Euro starts. This could either mean, that clubs want to see him there as the final evaluation before bidding for him (or simply to make sure he does not get injured in case they don't want to buy a heavily injured player, which would be understandable), or that interested clubs simply are not ready doing the preparations on their side (United only started to take care about this stuff once the transfer window opens would fit this picture).
I'm not sure they've increased the price, it's more with what you said which I agree with, clubs are probably waiting until after the Euros incase of a serious injury, or looking at other targets also etc. There's no way Dortmund keep him this summer, they can't afford to as next summer he has 1 year left on his deal and his price then drops a further £20m at least, as the following January (2023) we can sign him on a pre-contract for nothing.

I do think this information has come from the Dortmund side as I believe they haven't yet found or agreed a deal for his replacement yet as players probably want the Euros to show their qualities to more clubs. United won't be looking at doing a deal until after Wednesday, we'll have full concentration on the final.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Leaking infos and wannabe Machiavellinism isn't common practice among German clubs. It's straight forward: They don't want to sell but have a gentlemen's agreement to let Sancho leave for a certain fee. The moment they have fulfilled their part of the agreement and nobody showed up, they're happy to walk away from the transfer just like last year. If you believe you can lower the price by muscle flexing and what not you're basically coming across as someone negotiating a price for an eggplant in a super market. The player has a price tag and the price tag has an expiration date. Simple.
What the feck does this even mean?

It's not muscle flexing, it's just a fact. If we don't want to pay their quoted price, we won't pay it. They can continue to let him run down his contract if they want, it's up to them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not sure they've increased the price, it's more with what you said which I agree with, clubs are probably waiting until after the Euros incase of a serious injury, or looking at other targets also etc. There's no way Dortmund keep him this summer, they can't afford to as next summer he has 1 year left on his deal and his price then drops a further £20m at least, as the following January (2023) we can sign him on a pre-contract for nothing.

I do think this information has come from the Dortmund side as I believe they haven't yet found or agreed a deal for his replacement yet as players probably want the Euros to show their qualities to more clubs. United won't be looking at doing a deal until after Wednesday, we'll have full concentration on the final.
They happily miss out on 20m for another year of Sancho. He's their star player and without him they would've missed out on the UCL this season. The qualification alone justified holding onto him.

Moreover, the prices will rice until the summer. This window right now is probably the worst point to sell in a time period of +/- 5 years. And there have been more than enough examples of players with only one year on their contract moving for very high fees if they have rare quality, e. g. Hazard. They can easily sell him in 2022 for a fee not far below what is currently on the table.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What the feck does this even mean?

It's not muscle flexing, it's just a fact. If we don't want to pay their quoted price, we won't pay it. They can continue to let him run down his contract if they want, it's up to them.
Now that's on point. If you don't want to pay their quoted price, he won't go to United, just like last summer.

FreddieTheReddie

So how is it that Bundesliga fans keep supporting each other’s clubs? Looks like you would be devastated if your rival sold one of their best players.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If Dortmund have set the price at £85m and we get to the final day of the transfer window and the best offer United can put together is £80m and it’s the best offer they have received all summer, do you think they would accept it or do you think they would force Sancho to stay for another year?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Now that's on point. If you don't want to pay their quoted price, he won't go to United, just like last summer.
I still think that is up for debate, but a very likely scenario if they try to get us to pay close to 100m euros. Think by most accounts we bid 90 last year, not sure if that was with add-ons or what.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If Dortmund have set the price at £85m and we get to the final day of the transfer window and the best offer United can put together is £80m and it’s the best offer they have received all summer, do you think they would accept it or do you think they would force Sancho to stay for another year?
In that case he will stay. If you bid 110m on the last day he might be sold, but not for less than the agreed price later than agreed. If you miss the agreement deadline, you will have to negotiate with Dortmund, and they won't lower the price at a point in the transfer window were it gets more and more complicated for them to get a quality replacement for him.

So how is it that Bundesliga fans keep supporting each other’s clubs? Looks like you would be devastated if your rival sold one of their best players.
This is not about supporting each other's clubs, it is just about knowing how Dortmund deals with transfers and knowing that they don't respond well to being bullied around by ignoring their clearly communicated expectations.

They even let Lewandowski run down his contract and let him go on a free transfer to Bayern instead of selling him one year before just because Bayern also bought Götze using his release clause that summer.

And the fact that this is the way they are doing their transfer business really does ensure that they either get crazy money for their players (Dembele to Barca, Pulisic to Chelsea...) or actually keep their best players to be able to challenge for titles. Also you have to consider that their current financial situation might not be great but they nevertheless exceeded their expectations in the last months, so they are not forced to sell anyone they don't want to.

Last edited:

Widow

Dortmund will sell this summer and at a lower price then last year.

The price will also be negotiable, this is standard practice, Dortmund are no different. They still need the money, Sancho wants to leave and his contract is running down. You can say they could risk holding onto him and still receive a good fee with only twelve month left on his contract but that would be a massive risk. If Sancho has his heart set on a club and that club knows it then the buying club just plays the waiting game and gets him for free (no fee at least).

Sanchos age means this could be an option. No matter what club or how your finances look, nobody wants to miss out on a large chunk of change just to save face.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In that case he will stay. If you bid 110m on the last day he might be sold, but not for less than the agreed price later than agreed. If you miss the agreement deadline, you will have to negotiate with Dortmund, and they won't lower the price at a point in the transfer window were it gets more and more complicated for them to get a quality replacement for him.
You think they will wait until they have sold him before they get his replacement?

FreddieTheReddie

And what would they do in the same case in 2022 when he has only one year left?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If only it were that simple. Football fees always have room to negotiate as there is no fixed price tag (barring low release clause cases) - it's down to the perception and viewpoint of the two parties and then a negotiation process. Otherwise most transfers wouldn't be negotiated and would simply follow the price tag alone, and we know that isn't the case.

On this transfer, it is up to our board to sanction what would be a large fee - no getting away from that. But if we don't feel he's worth that fee, and Dortmund and United can't agree on a slightly lower one, then we move on to other targets. But the pro-Dortmund view you're presenting isn't really the case either. Every summer Dortmund can't sell Sancho the potential fee they're going to receive will reduce, expecting it not to is a pipe dream. And the player wants out so there's little chance of him staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.