Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And what would they do in the same case in 2022 when he has only one year left?
I think this would depend a lot on the agreements they would make for that transfer window and their squad situation, therefore I don't think one could reliably discuss this already.

If they had some other great winger build up as a ready replacement they would likely more easily sell him - at the moment they would have to buy one.
If they would sell some other players for big money they might not want to sell him at all but keep him as a leader for their newly assembled team.
And obviously it all depends also on what Sancho wants and agrees to.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It's going to be a very long summer isn't it.

:lol: god bless the caf. We don't need a new CB either, we've got Fish!
I thought it when we first signed Amad, and Pellistri to a lesser extent. We were desperate for a RW last year, we still need one but its less of an issue so if nothing else, strengthens our negotiating position and Amad's performance vs Wolves wont have harmed our stance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You think they will wait until they have sold him before they get his replacement?
I don't think they have the money to sign someone on a similar level than Sancho right now without getting a lot of money for Sancho first, so I believe they would have to.

Signing some talented young player to replace your most important playmaker sets you back too much, I don't see Dortmund to want to do that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think they have the money to sign someone on a similar level than Sancho right now without getting a lot of money for Sancho first, so I believe they would have to.

Signing some talented young player to replace your most important playmaker sets you back too much, I don't see Dortmund to want to do that.
Their entire business model is based on doing exactly that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dortmund will sell this summer and at a lower price then last year.

The price will also be negotiable, this is standard practice, Dortmund are no different. They still need the money, Sancho wants to leave and his contract is running down. You can say they could risk holding onto him and still receive a good fee with only twelve month left on his contract but that would be a massive risk. If Sancho has his heart set on a club and that club knows it then the buying club just plays the waiting game and gets him for free (no fee at least).

Sanchos age means this could be an option. No matter what club or how your finances look, nobody wants to miss out on a large chunk of change just to save face.
Precisely. Sancho did it to city, he could easily do the same to Dortmund.

pascell

They happily miss out on 20m for another year of Sancho. He's their star player and without him they would've missed out on the UCL this season. The qualification alone justified holding onto him.

Moreover, the prices will rice until the summer. This window right now is probably the worst point to sell in a time period of +/- 5 years. And there have been more than enough examples of players with only one year on their contract moving for very high fees if they have rare quality, e. g. Hazard. They can easily sell him in 2022 for a fee not far below what is currently on the table.
Of course they would and I agree they would've missed out on UCL for next season without him.

Prices won't be rising though, teams are still recovering from covid and are still being hit hard by it, including Dortmund. They won't get near the figure for him this summer, next summer, as the following January he can sign a pre-contract for nothing with another team. I'd say his price is £80-85m this summer and it'll be £60-65m next summer.

Rolaholic

So how is it that Bundesliga fans keep supporting each other’s clubs? Looks like you would be devastated if your rival sold one of their best players.
Was wondering the same thing after learning of the existence of a Bundesliga Defence League contingent on here in last summers Sancho thread :lol:

Could never see fans of Prem clubs defending rival interests as hard and as often as they do, same for Spanish, French and Italian league fans.

It is a bit weird innit...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So how is it that Bundesliga fans keep supporting each other’s clubs? Looks like you would be devastated if your rival sold one of their best players.
He would absolutely be devastated if this went through. To us, at least. The other week he kept trying to convince Chelsea fans here that they could do with Sancho and they weren't having any of it knowing they needed a CF more.

Nero

The BDL are a special lot. They've already started setting up camp in here for the summer.

cyberman

Of course they would and I agree they would've missed out on UCL for next season without him.

Prices won't be rising though, teams are still recovering from covid and are still being hit hard by it, including Dortmund. They won't get near the figure for him this summer, next summer, as the following January he can sign a pre-contract for nothing with another team. I'd say his price is £80-85m this summer and it'll be £60-65m next summer.
Dortmund would have invested the money and the only reason they struggled for top 4 is because Sancho struggled for form after not getting his move. It didnt work out at all for them.
I still remember being repeatedly, and repeatedly, and repeatedly told that 120m was a fair price because a host of clubs would be bidding 120m or higher this coming summer. Now a reliable source says just less thsn 100m fee. Now that little argument is retconed to Dortmund always knowing they would lose 20m on a deal.
Fees would bounce back!
Dont let the propaganda fool you.

CM

Leaking infos and wannabe Machiavellinism isn't common practice among German clubs. It's straight forward: They don't want to sell but have a gentlemen's agreement to let Sancho leave for a certain fee. The moment they have fulfilled their part of the agreement and nobody showed up, they're happy to walk away from the transfer just like last year. If you believe you can lower the price by muscle flexing and what not you're basically coming across as someone negotiating a price for an eggplant in a super market. The player has a price tag and the price tag has an expiration date. Simple.
Well the price has come down from last summer already. If they refuse to sell this summer Sancho enters the final year of his contract and that price drops further.

I'd like us to sign Sancho but there's more jeopardy for Dortmund than there is for us if a deal isn't done.

pascell

Dortmund would have invested the money and the only reason they struggled for top 4 is because Sancho struggled for form after not getting his move. It didnt work out at all for them.
I still remember being repeatedly, and repeatedly, and repeatedly told that 120m was a fair price because a host of clubs would be bidding 120m or higher this coming summer. Now a reliable source says just less thsn 100m fee. Now that little argument is retconed to Dortmund always knowing they would lose 20m on a deal.
Fees would bounce back!
Dont let the propaganda fool you.
I think it was Dortmund feeding that info about prices rising this summer, how wrong they got it! Clubs will be feeling the effects of Covid for the next 2-3 years at least whilst their finances recover.

FreddieTheReddie

Was wondering the same thing after learning of the existence of a Bundesliga Defence League contingent on here in last summers Sancho thread :lol:

Could never see fans of Prem clubs defending rival interests as hard and as often as they do, same for Spanish, French and Italian league fans.

It is a bit weird innit...
Tbf, part of me understands it. Not the United supporter, but the Hungarian part. It must be some kind of an underdog syndrome. My dad supported Ferencvaros against Barcelona in the CL group stage, even though he hates Ferencvaros but at least they are Hungarian. So I think it’s normal in small countries. Germany is not small though, they should be more confident.

bosskeano

Dortmund will take a hard stance just like they did last summer and trying to get a fixed price during a certain time limit as they'll want to use that money to reinvest into their own squad.

United knows that Sancho wants to leave, he's definitely interested in coming to United AND he is going into the last 12 months of his contract.

That last part is where Dortmund lose the leverage they had last summer as they won't want to lose him on a free and potentially miss out on 80-100m considering how much money they've lost due to having no fans and game day money.

It's just really going to come down to Whoever is in the man in charge of negotiations and just how much haggling they are willing to do. From all accounts, Sancho had a contract and terms already set in place last summer with United so it's just about the fee.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't, but tribalism and stupidity triggers me.

I'd actually be happy if he joined Chelsea, City or Liverpool. United if I'm being completely honest not so much because I see him on the left and don't think the team would enable him to shine in the same way a Tuchel, Guardiola or Klopp coached team would. But I don't really care if he stays at Dortmund or not as long as he performs. I'm not really tribal. Don't care about the club as long as it plays good football bar a very select few.

Rolaholic

BILD also say that they already have a replacement in mind in Ikoné from the French champions Lille

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He would absolutely be devastated if this went through. To us, at least. The other week he kept trying to convince Chelsea fans here that they could do with Sancho and they weren't having any of it knowing they needed a CF more.
The guy keeps saying he is triggered by stupidity and biased posts, must be one of the most ironic posts

Ignore option is really one awesome feature.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If only it were that simple. Football fees always have room to negotiate as there is no fixed price tag (barring low release clause cases) - it's down to the perception and viewpoint of the two parties and then a negotiation process. Otherwise most transfers wouldn't be negotiated and would simply follow the price tag alone, and we know that isn't the case.

On this transfer, it is up to our board to sanction what would be a large fee - no getting away from that. But if we don't feel he's worth that fee, and Dortmund and United can't agree on a slightly lower one, then we move on to other targets. But the pro-Dortmund view you're presenting isn't really the case either. Every summer Dortmund can't sell Sancho the potential fee they're going to receive will reduce, expecting it not to is a pipe dream. And the player wants out so there's little chance of him staying.
It is that simple. Dortmund don't want to sell. That's not a pro Dortmund view either, it's just how things are. Whether you think it is a clever decision or not is a entirely different matter but they don't want to sell and the only reason the possibilizmty of Sancho leaving exists is that they feel obliged to it, hence the gentlemen's agreement.

And as long that is the case, there won't be any real negotiations because Dortmund would actually prefer if United backs off.

And to be honest, I see it the same way they do. Due to covid it makes much more sense economically to hold on to him, IMO. It's just the rational strategy and it baffles me that so few people in here understand that.

FreddieTheReddie

It is that simple. Dortmund don't want to sell. That's not a pro Dortmund view either, it's just how things are. Whether you think it is a clever decision or not is a entirely different matter but they don't want to sell and the only reason the possibilizmty of Sancho leaving exists is that they feel obliged to it, hence the gentlemen's agreement.

And as long that is the case, there won't be any real negotiations because Dortmund would actually prefer if United backs off.

And to be honest, I see it the same way they do. Due to covid it makes much more sense economically to hold on to him, IMO. It's just the rational strategy and it baffles me that so few people in here understand that.
How is that rational? I don’t think they would get more for him next year even if fans will be back and clubs will be in better shape.

He will have one year left of his contract, he might decide to run it down and negotiate better wages instead. He will be able to sign a pre-contract next year. They also risk him losing his form again like last season when it almost cost them top four.

Player wants to leave. He was denied his move last summer, took him months to get back his regular form, they don’t want to risk that again. I would even say he deserves a move now after winning then pokal and helping them into top four.

So what do you think Dortmund would gain having him for one more year?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bundesliga fans are a weird lot, it is known.

amolbhatia50k

Just because a club prefers not to sell doesn't mean there is no scope for negotiation. There's no logic to that, whatsoever.

TMS

How is that rational? I don’t think they would get more for him next year even if fans will be back and clubs will be in better shape.

He will have one year left of his contract, he might decide to run it down and negotiate better wages instead. He will be able to sign a pre-contract next year. They also risk him losing his form again like last season when it almost cost them top four.

Player wants to leave. He was denied his move last summer, took him months to get back his regular form, they don’t want to risk that again. I would even say he deserves a move now after winning then pokal and helping them into top four.

So what do you think Dortmund would gain having him for one more year?
If the move doesn't happen I don't think there is a risk of him losing form again. It sounds like Dortmund and him have an agreement that is an acceptable offer (lower than their demands last season) comes in it'll be settled quickly. Every interested party is aware of that, especially after last year, so if nothing comes in within the next month then he won't be leaving. He's happy there and by all accounts becoming a leader in a young developing team whilst still being young himself with plenty of time to develop his career elsewhere down the road.

In terms of what Dortmund have to gain it's simple. Trophies. Next summer Sancho will be gone if he isn't already, Haland will have his pick of elite teams, Hummels & Reus are rapidly aging, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more on the outs to create a mini exodus. If everyone stays for the upcoming season they have a real chance to challenge for the title and an outside shot at the champion league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's going to be a very long summer isn't it.

:lol: god bless the caf. We don't need a new CB either, we've got Fish!
It's not really the same thing though, is it? We bought Amad for £18m with potential for the deal to reach £38m. That's not money I'd consider a "punt". I think it'd be very bizzare planning from the club to sign one of the most highly rated young RWs in Europe for 10s of millions only to sign another highly rated one for nearly £90m a year later. That's not even taking into consideration we already have someone playing on the right wing who's 19 and has just become the highest scoring teenager for United in the PL era.

I'd be very, very surprised if Jadon Sancho was a United player come the start of the season.

passing-wind

That's wrong. Holding onto a depreciating asset whose already lost 20 million in value in the space of a few months. The longer time goes the less demand the selling club has with the decrease in contractual length of the player additionally. How does that make sense from a business perspective. If Sancho was sold last summer Dortmund would have made 120 million euros, this season if he's sold they will make less.

Boavista

Tbf, part of me understands it. Not the United supporter, but the Hungarian part. It must be some kind of an underdog syndrome. My dad supported Ferencvaros against Barcelona in the CL group stage, even though he hates Ferencvaros but at least they are Hungarian. So I think it’s normal in small countries. Germany is not small though, they should be more confident.
It might play a part but I don't think it's the main reason. For one, fans from other countries coming to an English speaking forum aren't exactly representative of the average fan from that country. On top of that, I believe before UEFA increased the slots to 4 clubs for all top leagues the country coefficient was a big talking point in the media in countries that were close to overtaking another. So I think that attitude of supporting other domestic rivals when they play in the CL/EL was partially media driven.

Also it doesn't help that every differing opinion on here is instantly labeled as defending another club, instead of it just being another perspective.

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah the guy seems to have a real chip on his shoulder when it comes to Utd. Which is strange considering he’s signed up to a Utd forum. :lol:

JustinC00

It's not really the same thing though, is it? We bought Amad for £18m with potential for the deal to reach £38m. That's not money I'd consider a "punt". I think it'd be very bizzare planning from the club to sign one of the most highly rated young RWs in Europe for 10s of millions only to sign another highly rated one for nearly £90m a year later. That's not even taking into consideration we already have someone playing on the right wing who's 19 and has just become the highest scoring teenager for United in the PL era.

Having quality depth for the attacking line is bizarre planning?

amolbhatia50k

But he has been our winger for the last two years, has he not?
He plays as an inside forward and is expected to move even more central with time. You need all kinds and Sancho is a much more natural winger and is expected to remain so for a long time.

AltiUn

He plays as an inside forward. You need all kinds and Sancho is a much more natural winger.
Now we're just splitting hairs. You've still then got three young players in the same position, at least one of them isn't going to get enough game time to develop properly.

Judas

Open to offers
Now we're just splitting hairs. You've still then got three young players in the same position, at least one of them isn't going to get enough game time to develop properly.
But all of them aren't just stuck in that RW position, are they? They can play anywhere in the front three positions, a few you'd think long term probably aren't even going to have RW as their strongest position, I still hope Greenwood will be a striker, and I think Amad might be better centrally too long term.

MadMike

He plays as an inside forward and is expected to move even more central with time. You need all kinds and Sancho is a much more natural winger and is expected to remain so for a long time.
Sancho has already largely shifted to playing as a left-sided inside forward. That expectation is plucked out of your own imagination.

AltiUn

But all of them aren't just stuck in that RW position, are they? They can play anywhere in the front three positions, a few you'd think long term probably aren't even going to have RW as their strongest position, I still hope Greenwood will be a striker, and I think Amad might be better centrally too long term.
That might be true but at this point we'd have to look at short term as much as at long term, and short term I worry there isn't going to be enough game time to share around between the three of them.

I know it's easy to discount someone like Elanga as "typical RedCafe" which is fair enough, but we also purchased Pellistri who's a natural RW and Mejbri, who's featured out wide occasionally for the U23s, both for sizeable fees relative to their ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.