Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not a whole lot of convincing talk about a transfer at the moment, seems like it's more assumed we're still in for him which while is a fair assumption to make you can't rule it out completely that we've walked away for good especially after spending the money we did on the two young lads

I wonder what Sancho will do? His form has obviously been effected by the lack of a transfer and he'll no doubt be wishing he did more now to force the move through but what if there are no takers for him this summer? It's another season in Germany.

You can see why United felt they held all the cards in this because while we've not got the player the knock on has been much worse for the player himself and Dortmund. Guess the club played it right after all, who knew eh

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
£75m I reckon.
if he does go it’ll be for 80/90 unless his form picks back up and then it’ll be the same price again this summer. If we are giving martial one more season as our striker then I would go for sancho as competition for the wingers. If we believe we can get haaland then I would leave sancho and move martial to rotation on the wings and up front. sancho will be entering his final year so his price should start falling around then

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I would say the fee this time will be around 80 - 90 mil £ but including bonuses.

Whatever we do, I just hope we plan the window much better than the last one. Actually buy a DM first, maybe CB too and then play the waiting game for Sancho if needed.

if he does go it’ll be for 80/90 unless his form picks back up and then it’ll be the same price again this summer. If we are giving martial one more season as our striker then I would go for sancho as competition for the wingers. If we believe we can get haaland then I would leave sancho and move martial to rotation on the wings and up front. sancho will be entering his final year so his price should start falling around then
if his form is the same as last season, Dortmund can price him at whatever they want, we won’t be going near the bid we made last season.

there’s no one else who wants him.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I would say the fee this time will be around 80 - 90 mil £ but including bonuses.

Whatever we do, I just hope we plan the window much better than the last one. Actually buy a DM first, maybe CB too and then play the waiting game for Sancho if needed.
We did something similar last time though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It also depends on how well Diallo fits in.

Assume Sancho continues his current form:
If Diallo is good, then I wouldn't go any higher than 50m for Sancho.
If Diallo is not all that, I may try 60-70m for Sancho,

However if Sancho return near to his last season form:
If Diallo is good, still would't go anywhere more than 70m for Sancho, as we better save up our money for Haaland.
If Diallo is bad, may tempted to go as high as 90m for Sancho.

JustinC00

Guess he might be rounding back into form, a goal and an assist in 2 of his last 3 league matches. Haven't watched any Dortmund games since they lost 5-1 to Stuggart. Might watch their match later against Leverkusen

Last edited:

b82REZ

It also depends on how well Diallo fits in.

Assume Sancho continues his current form:
If Diallo is good, then I wouldn't go any higher than 50m for Sancho.
If Diallo is not all that, I may try 60-70m for Sancho,

However if Sancho return near to his last season form:
If Diallo is good, still would't go anywhere more than 70m for Sancho, as we better save up our money for Haaland.
If Diallo is bad, may tempted to go as high as 90m for Sancho.
Why would Diallo's form affect how much we pay for Sancho? Bizzare logic.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why not? Just common sense, if we don't really need him that much, we just don't pay high for him. But if we need him so much in position we badly lacking, we would even overpay for him at all cost (ie Maguire)

macheda14

It wouldn’t affect how much Dortmund are willing to sell him for, but how much we are willing to pay. I’d say by some miracle Diallo just immediately becomes one of the best wingers in the league, why would we then go and spend 75 mill on another winger when we could spend that money on other areas.

b82REZ

Why not? Just common sense, if we don't really need him that much, we just don't pay high for him. But if we need him so much in position we badly lacking, we would even overpay for him at all cost (ie Maguire)
That's not common sense at all. That's one of the daftest ways we can (and have) approached transfers. We massively overpaid for Maguire and it would appear the club learnt from that transfer, hence our walking away from Sancho.

IF we are still in for him this summer, it'll be done on our terms. Our bids won't be based on how well Diallo, Pellestri or Lingard have played.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find Sancho quite similar to Rashford as a player. Can play better on the LW but do a job on the RW.

It's why I much prefer Grealish because he is a very different player to the players we already have, his dribbling style is different, his creativity is different and his flexibility in positions is also different (LW,AM,LCM) compared to Sancho.

I'd love to live in a life where we could have both but that's a bit unbelievable.

Last edited:

united_99

We did something similar last time though.
Yes but Dortmund wasn’t willing to accept. This time it might be different. If not then we should and probably will walk away.

b82REZ

It wouldn’t affect how much Dortmund are willing to sell him for, but how much we are willing to pay. I’d say by some miracle Diallo just immediately becomes one of the best wingers in the league, why would we then go and spend 75 mill on another winger when we could spend that money on other areas.
Even if Diallo scores 25 consecutive hattricks the club won't stop scouting and signing players in similar positions.

Our romantic approach of, give them one more season has seen us neglect the RW for the best part of a decade. Now we have a prospect who fans have taken to, people are acting like we're in a position to move on from Sancho.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of our transfer structure, but it would be amateurish at best and straight up negligent to put all our eggs in the Diallo basket.

united_99

Iirc Dortmund’s reported fee was 120 mil € guaranteed / excluding bonus. And the payment structure was also difficult. If they demand anything close to it again, they can keep him and next year he will only have 1 year left on his contract.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes but Dortmund wasn’t willing to accept. This time it might be different. If not then we should and probably will walk away.
The fans lost their shit over it. Imagine if we do the exact same again chasing Sancho all summer only to not sign him once more :lol: I hope we steer clear to be honest.

romufc

The fans lost their shit over it. Imagine if we do the exact same again chasing Sancho all summer only to not sign him once more :lol: I hope we steer clear to be honest.
I feel the same way... Dortmund are a selling club, we all know that. This is what happens when you get too greedy. From a position of pure strength, United desperate to a position where you could lose 2 key players for a combined fee of what United offered. £60m Halaand release clause and £60/80 for Sancho.

UpWithRivers

I just wish we would get a RW. For the love of all things. Now we are pushing Rashford and Pogba on the right. If Diallo looks like he will be ready then get a cheap option. Thauvin is going for 11 mill. If Diallo is not going to be ready for years then if not Sancho then who? Just decide Ole and Woodward.

Stacks

I just wish we would get a RW. For the love of all things. Now we are pushing Rashford and Pogba on the right. If Diallo looks like he will be ready then get a cheap option. Thauvin is going for 11 mill. If Diallo is not going to be ready for years then if not Sancho then who? Just decide Ole and Woodward.
sick of it

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
You can see why United felt they held all the cards in this because while we've not got the player the knock on has been much worse for the player himself and Dortmund. Guess the club played it right after all, who knew eh
I doubt the club planned itright. You're giving them too much with their dealings in the transfer over a long period. Since Sir Alex and David Gill left its been a scatter gun approach until Ole brought in a semblance of normality.

I think with a good right wing option we would have won a few more points. Still believe Grealish would be a better investment especially if Pogba leaves and the 2 young wingers come good over the next 6 months.

romufc

Thats what we need, a ready made RW.

I don't understand why fans are blaming Ole for trying different options on the right. He has no RW to chose from.
A RW needs to not only attack but track back, the reason Greenwood doesn't play, he too often doesn't carry out defensive duties.

davidmichael

Thats what we need, a ready made RW.

I don't understand why fans are blaming Ole for trying different options on the right. He has no RW to chose from.
A RW needs to not only attack but track back, the reason Greenwood doesn't play, he too often doesn't carry out defensive duties.
I feel for Greenwood in that regard as he’s a number 9 being played out on the right so he’s never going to have those defensive capabilities, Sancho whilst no doubt an attacking player is a natural right sided attacker so would understand he’d at times need to track back.

romufc

I feel for Greenwood in that regard as he’s a number 9 being played out on the right so he’s never going to have those defensive capabilities, Sancho whilst no doubt an attacking player is a natural right sided attacker so would understand he’d at times need to track back.
Which is the reason we have kept changing our RW this season, we have played everyone there..

The club cannot see we need a RW.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I doubt the club planned itright. You're giving them too much with their dealings in the transfer over a long period. Since Sir Alex and David Gill left its been a scatter gun approach until Ole brought in a semblance of normality.

I think with a good right wing option we would have won a few more points. Still believe Grealish would be a better investment especially if Pogba leaves and the 2 young wingers come good over the next 6 months.
It was with a degree of pessimism that I posted that :lol:

Andersons Dietician

I find Sancho quite similar to Rashford as a player. Can play better on the LW but do a job on the RW.

It's why I much prefer Grealish because he is a very different player to the players we already have, his dribbling style is different, his creativity is different and his flexibility in positions is also different (LW,AM,LCM) compared to Sancho.

I'd love to live in a life where we could have both but that's a bit unbelievable.
He can do more than “a job” on the right. Most of his best performances come from the right.

RkkMan

Even if Diallo scores 25 consecutive hattricks the club won't stop scouting and signing players in similar positions.

Our romantic approach of, give them one more season has seen us neglect the RW for the best part of a decade. Now we have a prospect who fans have taken to, people are acting like we're in a position to move on from Sancho.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of our transfer structure, but it would be amateurish at best and straight up negligent to put all our eggs in the Diallo basket.
Difference is if Diallo actually becomes a nailed on starter(unlikely)we`d likely look for a player of a different profile rather than an out out starter. If hypothetically Amad did blow everyone away why spend close to 100m on a player who`s not that much older than him and will likely take all of his playing time when we dont have an out out DM, proper cover at CB or proper cover at RB? We`d not only be making a luxury signing that could follow the same suit as Havertz/Werner/Jovic but also neglecting areas that ACTUALLY need improving which will hold us back. Did BVB decide to just buy the next big thing when Sancho started showing top class potential? No they kept giving him chances and they`re reaping the benefits of it. Utd has been and always should be about giving the best youngsters a chance but if Amad proves to be crap or shows he`ll need a lot of time to settle in THEN we should go for Sancho but if from the get go he proves he`s much better than we all expected then it doesnt take a genius to know Sancho should be the last player we should seek

reddevilchennai

I wouldn't be against a deal of 70m + 30m add-ons based on appearance, winning PL, CL. He is a player who could play on both the wings.

I'm excited to have Diallo but that must not stop us from signing Sancho. He could offer ample cover for Rashford or Fernandes incase of injuries/form too.

RkkMan

I wouldn't be against a deal of 70m + 30m add-ons based on appearance, winning PL, CL. He is a player who could play on both the wings.

I'm excited to have Diallo but that must not stop us from signing Sancho. He could offer ample cover for Rashford or Fernandes incase of injuries/form too.
Thats an awful lot of money for "cover" when we lack a proper CDM and CB

Lemansky

People on here wanted to pay “whatever it takes” during the summer. Glad they don’t run our club. We hold all the cards in this situation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m guessing they will accept 70m in this summer. This pandemic could force them to reduce the price drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.