Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
50m take it or leave it. Do it publicly so he knows, his agent knows, his family knows and fans known.

Match Dortmunds pettiness and stick an Aug 1st date on it.

Last year, they held the cards, this year we do.
You know, they could still keep him.

GledTheRed

He' incredible. The way he finds space and passing lanes is so impressive. He's already a light version of Neymar. If I could choose one player that stays with my club for the rest of his career, I'd go for him. He's better than Haaland and Mbappe I believe.

He was almost glued to the left wing those past games by the way. Almost every great play occured either on the left wing or in the center of the pitch.
He plays for Dortmund nit Leverkusen silly.

Time for a trip to Spec Savers?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He plays for Dortmund nit Leverkusen silly.

Time for a trip to Spec Savers?
What's Spec Savers?

I enjoy talking about players I like and Sancho currently is probably the one I enjoy watching the most alongside Neymar and Messi. So no idea what my club has to do with it. There are people who aren't only interested in their own teams, you know.

GledTheRed

What's Spec Savers?

I enjoy talking about players I like and Sancho currently is probably the one I enjoy watching the most alongside Neymar and Messi. So no idea what my club has to do with it. There are people who aren't only interested in their own teams, you know.
Only messing mate.

cyberman

50m take it or leave it. Do it publicly so he knows, his agent knows, his family knows and fans known.

Yep, lowering their demands doesnt mean we have to match it, they know he's a depreciating asset so if hes worth less for them now, he's worth less for us as well.
If Sancho wants to come and they need to sell, stick it to them

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

We don't really hold all the cards until Sancho agitates for a move, if they couldn't get the money they wanted for him last year I can't see how he'd be happy if they slapped the exact same price tag on him again expecting a different result, but that's putting a lot of faith in rumours he actually wants to leave, for all we know he could really want to stay. We'd be in a stronger negotiating position if they finished outside of the CL places. They took a gamble hoping for a bidding war this season in a market that just isn't there due to Covid. The negotiations likely won't be as one sided.
We are top scores in the league so not sure he would have propelled us to top of the league, unless he can play well at CB, GK?
We've scored 15 of those goals in 2 games and we've had a lot of 1 goal deciding results, Sancho definitely could have helped us in those games.

SATA

I would love to see him bossing the right wing for us next season. Him and AWB will be so tasty with Shaw and Marcus on the other side

romufc

6 months later and 20m reduction in fee. another 6 months another 20m?

80m Euros should get him IMO considering the state of clubs financial situations.

Sell Pogba, get Grealish and we are going somewhere.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I still think we need a world class striker more than a RW, unless we move Greenwood into the strikers position.

Martial blows hot and cold. Cavani would be perfect if he were younger.

JawZ

I still think we need a world class striker more than a RW, unless we move Greenwood into the strikers position.

I think this has to happen. Why not utilize Greenwood's lethal striker ability upfront, challenging Martial's hot and cold form and complemented by Cavani's poacher qualities?

I feel more confident with a wide player/winger playing on the wings instead of a make-shift player. If Sancho and Diallo (and Pellestri potentially) occupies our RW for next year, I'm game.

RkkMan

For €100m there's no chance, especially with Corona depleted incomes where teams like Liverpool struggle to spend more than £5m on 2 CBs combined despite having no fit CBs.

Also Sancho's probably long term better on the left, like Rashford, so right now I'd much rather give Diallo a shot despite him being far more raw. He's left footed, has good close control and dribbling like Sancho.. and cost £20m not a 100m. The only way Sancho happens to United anymore is if the price goes down to around £50m, otherwise it won't given we have Greenwood on the right and the two young boys we signed in Diallo and Pellestri, and that we've seen this season that Rashford can play on the right too.

There's just a whole bunch of other factors too that make this deal unlikely. The days of £80m+ transfers on prospects are long gone, Dortmund are deluded if they think they'll get that. Dortmund are currently 6th in the league, not exactly a shining endorsement for them and we've seen players struggling going from Dortmund to United. And finally if we wait a season and try in the summer of next year in 2022, Sancho will only have a year left on his contract.
There`s a lot of time between now and the start of the window the price could get lower and we`re likely to get a good fee for Pogba in the summer if he keeps his form up makes affording Sancho`s fee easier(personally think his final fee will be between 80-90m not 100m) dont rule it out
Also he`s equally adept to either wing difference is he scores slightly more on the left but is a better playmaker on the right but he can adapt on either wing better unlike Grealish or Rashford who are primarily better on the left in fact I`m a bit shocked you`ve mentioned Rashford on the RW anyone with eyes can see he`s just not good there and never will be no matter how many games he plays there. Its a bit mental to expect Diallo and Pellistri to solve this issue the latter is out on loan and will likly go out on loan again the whole of next season and the former only has a handful of games at top level you cant compare him to Sancho who`s played at the highest level for 3 years now with insane numbers even if Amad BLEW everyone away he`d be our ONLY RW as its clear as day Greenwood is a ST thats being shoehorned on the wing and eventually he has to transition into the middle permanently, so we need another RW anyway for better squad depth, competition and quality.
We`ll likely be the only serious team in for Sancho, have more money to spend than most clubs(ableit with sales playing a factor), BVB are seriously feeling the COVID pinch and Sancho himself will likely push for a move this time as we had an agreement with him last summer he should still be a priority and he`ll be cheaper this year than last year and also cheaper than Grealish and Haaland

Last edited:

NYAS

You know, they could still keep him.
You know deep down they’re not going to risk that and you’re just playing devil’s advocate.

The kid wants to leave. They didn’t sell him at a lower price last summer because they knew he had 3 years left and gambled on getting a similar price if not higher this summer: considering two conditions:

1- Sancho maintains his level of performance.
2- The market becomes more “normal” post-Covid; which would allow for other clubs to compete with us in a bidding war.

It could be argued that both factors have not been met; Sancho is really only a couple of months into his usual performance level, and fans still aren’t allowed in stadiums and thus the financial situation of most clubs remains unchanged from last summer. Certainly not to the extent of receiving a similar or higher price for Sancho this summer.

So, his price is going to be lower, that isn’t really debatable. Now given that, do you think Dortmund are in a financial position to be able to repeat the same strategy again, when next summer he’ll have only a year left? Just so he can “help them” to a top 4 spot?

Sure, they could still keep him; but I’d bet that would only happen if nobody wants him.

Denis' cuff

There`s a lot of time between now and the start of the window the price could get lower and we`re likely to get a good fee for Pogba in the summer if he keeps his form up makes affording Sancho`s fee easier(personally think his final fee will be between 80-90m not 100m) dont rule it out
Also he`s equally adept to either wing difference is he scores slightly more on the left but is a better playmaker on the right but he can adapt on either wing better unlike Grealish or Rashford who are primarily better on the left in fact I`m a bit shocked you`ve mentioned Rashford on the RW anyone with eyes can see he`s just not good there and never will be no matter how many games he plays there. Its a bit mental to expect Diallo and Pellistri to solve this issue the latter is out on loan and will likly go out on loan again the whole of next season and the former only has a handful of games at top level you cant compare him to Sancho who`s played at the highest level for 3 years now with insane numbers even if Amad BLEW everyone away he`d be our ONLY RW as its clear as day Greenwood is a ST thats being shoehorned on the wing and eventually he has to transition into the middle permanently, so we need another RW anyway for better squad depth, competition and quality.
We`ll likely be the only serious team in for Sancho, have more money to spend than most clubs(ableit with sales playing a factor), BVB are seriously feeling the COVID pinch and Sancho himself will likely push for a move this time as we had an agreement with him last summer he should still be a priority and he`ll be cheaper this year than last year and also cheaper than Grealish and Haaland
id like to think we would sign him but would be surprised if the Glazers sanctioned this move with two excellent prospects not far off the team/squad. Possibly moving Martial on, although not a “like for like” might allow some leeway from the clubs POV. One thing for sure, AWB would benefit hugely having a proper wide player in front of him.

Also, Sancho could’ve done more to push the deal instead of diplomatic niceties last time around, so not sure that will change either.

Just feel this has gone cold, now. Hope I’m wrong. With a dm/cb also a priority, not to mention a striker, I think needs have maybe shifted a bit.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You know deep down they’re not going to risk that and you’re just playing devil’s advocate.

The kid wants to leave. They didn’t sell him at a lower price last summer because they knew he had 3 years left and gambled on getting a similar price if not higher this summer: considering two conditions:

1- Sancho maintains his level of performance.
2- The market becomes more “normal” post-Covid; which would allow for other clubs to compete with us in a bidding war.

It could be argued that both factors have not been met; Sancho is really only a couple of months into his usual performance level, and fans still aren’t allowed in stadiums and thus the financial situation of most clubs remains unchanged from last summer. Certainly not to the extent of receiving a similar or higher price for Sancho this summer.

So, his price is going to be lower, that isn’t really debatable. Now given that, do you think Dortmund are in a financial position to be able to repeat the same strategy again, when next summer he’ll have only a year left? Just so he can “help them” to a top 4 spot?

Sure, they could still keep him; but I’d bet that would only happen if nobody wants him.
Thing is, if they were offered 50m max in the summer, they could still speculate on getting that money in a somewhat recovered market one year later. That's always the issue with investments during a market crash. You don't sell when prices are the lowest, especially not if the asset generates a return if you keep it.

Moreover, I don't think that the market mechanism that sees players going for less in their last year works when it comes to players like Sancho due to game theory. We've seen quite a few players with similar demand moving for crazy sums in their last contract year due to that. Hazard for example moved for 160m although he had only one year left.

marktan

We don't really hold all the cards until Sancho agitates for a move, if they couldn't get the money they wanted for him last year I can't see how he'd be happy if they slapped the exact same price tag on him again expecting a different result, but that's putting a lot of faith in rumours he actually wants to leave, for all we know he could really want to stay. We'd be in a stronger negotiating position if they finished outside of the CL places. They took a gamble hoping for a bidding war this season in a market that just isn't there due to Covid. The negotiations likely won't be as one sided.

We've scored 15 of those goals in 2 games and we've had a lot of 1 goal deciding results, Sancho definitely could have helped us in those games.
If we skip this year (likely anyway with low covid finances) and wait until next years summer, we would indeed hold the cards as he'd only have a year left on his contract.

To be honest we do hold most of the cards regarding price anyway as there's basically no other club that's going to pay £70m+ for him. Most other club have expensive wide players already playing for them.

NYAS

Thing is, if they were offered 50m max in the summer, they could still speculate on getting that money in a somewhat recovered market one year later. That's always the issue with investments during a market crash. You don't sell when prices are the lowest, especially not if the asset generates a return if you keep it.

Moreover, I don't think that the market mechanism that sees players going for less in their last year works when it comes to players like Sancho due to game theory. We've seen quite a few players with similar demand moving for crazy sums in their last contract year due to that. Hazard for example moved for 160m although he had only one year left.
For your first point: I don’t think he’d go for 50 this summer. I would however expect him to go for around that if he had one year left on his contract. I would expect him to go for 70-90 this summer. Also, your point about assets does not take into consideration that this particular investment is bound by time. At a certain point in time (summer 2023) this asset will be worth zero to Dortmund, and with every passing day this point gets closer.

To your second point: It’s easier for Chelsea to stand firm and get that kind of price for Hazard because they don’t need the money as much as Dortmund do. If Real walked away and Chelsea kept him and let him go on a free it wouldn’t have been as big a deal as it would be for Dortmund. An essential part of their business model is selling on players for profit: this is not insulting but is simply a fact that even they admitted is part of their strategy. If Jadon Sancho left Dortmund in 2 years on a free then I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have considered that scenario to have gone to plan.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Get him before the Euros, if it's anything under 100m, he's worth it IMO.

We need an rvn

Get him before the Euros, if it's anything under 100m, he's worth it IMO.
We've got Diallo who according to so many reports is the next Ronaldo and going to be the as big as a Burmese mountain dog's balls in the football world compared to other dogs' balls. He looks so promising and I'm starting to believe a bit of the hype. To sign Sancho would completed stall Diallo's route to a right wing attacking midfielder. We can't have both in the squad. So we need to play Diallo now for the rest of the season and see if he's good enough

We're 2nd in the league and doing so much better than previous season. IF Diallo puts in some impressive displays and we come 2nd or dare dream win the league, then let's spend £100m on somewhere else. If he's completely out of his depth, then that's another matter and then sign up Sancho and see how we can get the two to play in the same team in a few years time.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We've got Diallo who according to so many reports is the next Ronaldo and going to be the as big as a Burmese mountain dog's balls in the football world compared to other dogs' balls. He looks so promising and I'm starting to believe a bit of the hype. To sign Sancho would completed stall Diallo's route to a right wing attacking midfielder. We can't have both in the squad. So we need to play Diallo now for the rest of the season and see if he's good enough

We're 2nd in the league and doing so much better than previous season. IF Diallo puts in some impressive displays and we come 2nd or dare dream win the league, then let's spend £100m on somewhere else. If he's completely out of his depth, then that's another matter and then sign up Sancho and see how we can get the two to play in the same team in a few years time.
Rotation is key, they don't need to play every game

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

I'm sure Diallo's got a lot of potential and everything, but he shouldn't even be a factor in the Sancho decision, because the team needs quality depth and Sancho can play on either wings, he's a bit better on the left wing but is a solid creator on the right that will have an instant impact. Diallo's a project, and I get concerned when there's hope like that on a youngster. He should be able to come in with no pressure to be the man right away. I haven't seen much of him, so I'll leave it to others to say what they feel his ceiling is, but Sancho is a special player and if he can be gotten, then Diallo or not, I would get him in a heartbeat. If Diallo is that special, then Rashford becomes a back up, Sancho is on the left, and Diallo on the right; quality depth.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We won't be spending £100m on anyone after a year of no match day income. I'm confident nobody will.

We need an rvn

I'm sure Diallo's got a lot of potential and everything, but he shouldn't even be a factor in the Sancho decision, because the team needs quality depth and Sancho can play on either wings, he's a bit better on the left wing but is a solid creator on the right that will have an instant impact. Diallo's a project, and I get concerned when there's hope like that on a youngster. He should be able to come in with no pressure to be the man right away. I haven't seen much of him, so I'll leave it to others to say what they feel his ceiling is, but Sancho is a special player and if he can be gotten, then Diallo or not, I would get him in a heartbeat. If Diallo is that special, then Rashford becomes a back up, Sancho is on the left, and Diallo on the right; quality depth.
Here's a question for you....covid etc means we have £100m to spend next summer as this season we came 2nd.

Do you spend £100m on Sancho to enhance our attacking threat and more creativity and move Mason into no. 9...or give our attacking players another season (ie. Cavani can do it, Rashford, Martial, Mason another year, Diallo might blossom) and address the weakness in defence for £50m and another area of your choice?

I've no idea what i'd do by the way :lol::lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Here's a question for you....covid etc means we have £100m to spend next summer as this season we came 2nd.

Do you spend £100m on Sancho to enhance our attacking threat and more creativity and move Mason into no. 9...or give our attacking players another season (ie. Cavani can do it, Rashford, Martial, Mason another year, Diallo might blossom) and address the weakness in defence for £50m and another area of your choice?

I've no idea what i'd do by the way :lol::lol:
I guess the question is can it even be expected to be able to address the weakness in defense with 50m and who would that player be? Then the other area would probably have to be midfield, so who can actually make a big impact for the other 50m, or even if it was 75/25 split between the two positions.

I'd rather get Sancho because I think the defense, while it does its best at times to prove otherwise, is not that bad and has some depth to it. Up front however, it's a different matter. I like Dan James, but he's not what I would consider quality depth. One injury to Rashford or Martial (nevermind Bruno), and this team struggles to get anything going. Sancho resolves that issue for the most part, and he's just the kind of player that would fit with United's DNA. Then like you said, Mason can move to #9 to provide depth there, he can be on the right as well as the left depending on what the injury situation is. So you could have:

CF: Cavani, Martial, Greenwood
LW: Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood
RW: Sancho, Diallo, Greenwood
AM: Bruno, Sancho, Pogba

Not bad depth for the final third.

Fahad Jawaid

Lets hope Dortmund fails to qualify for the Champions league next season. It will give us the upper hand and i believe we could sign him for around 50M.

If Pogba goes invest the Pogba money on Grealish and get a CB like Konate for 40 - 45M and we are set. The team below is a title winning side.

DDG
AWB Maguire Konate Shaw
Sancho Fred Grealish Rashford/Martial
Bruno
Cavani

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
No he isn't worth €100m, not us at least, who have bigger problems to fix across the pitch. I wish we had a ridiculous budget where we could indulge in luxury buys like him, but we don't.

With the limited budget we are going to have in the summer, we should focus on buying a new goalscoring CF, a DM so teams can't waltz past us, and a CB partner for Maguire.

wolvored

We won't be spending £100m on anyone after a year of no match day income. I'm confident nobody will.
This. I think we will buy a player or two but dont think we will spend anywhere near £100 million. Pogba will go for about £40 million and we will look for a couple of young Diallo type signings again. CB and DM I would think.

Mr Smith

We are top scores in the league so not sure he would have propelled us to top of the league, unless he can play well at CB, GK?
But we have failed to score against most of the top sides in the league. We've suffered from our attacking threat only coming from one flank. Sancho would go a long way towards solving that (though I do also think we need a world class DM so we don't have to play so conservatively with a double pivot in big games).

passing-wind

Sancho over Grealish for me. One thing Sancho offers over any primary target aside a central defender is walking straight into the starting 11 without giving Solskjaer Lampard levels of headaches in the befuddlement of changing the stating 11 regressing the teams development.

Dortmund should take 80 million euros which is a fair price 60 odd in GBP.

Last edited:

TsuWave

He' incredible. The way he finds space and passing lanes is so impressive. He's already a light version of Neymar. If I could choose one player that stays with my club for the rest of his career, I'd go for him. He's better than Haaland and Mbappe I believe.

He was almost glued to the left wing those past games by the way. Almost every great play occured either on the left wing or in the center of the pitch.
He's at 21 scorers in 25 games. They didn't occur after christmas alone. Sancho was already good in Favre's last games in December and has held up a high level ever since.

People in here underrate his season due to all this "he's elsewhere with his mind" thinking. He's shown the form of last season for quite a long period by now. I don't think his season is worse than Haaland's at this point.
I agree. Also, in regards to his form, I said here multiple times, in a back and forth I had with another poster, the guy has been playing well for a while. This is supposed to be his poor season and the guy has 21 goal contributions in 25 games. And he's not even turned 21 years old yeah. 21 in 25 and it's supposed to mean "Sancho is not all that" or "Sancho is not worth" :lol: He's had back to back world class seasons, and is already one of the best in the world in his position, during what are supposed to be his formative years.

Incredible player. Exceptional talent.

I don't really think a substantial amount of the people posting here have been following him, and they simply just parrot what they've read a couple of times. United would be oh so lucky to have Sancho. Guy is better than all our attacking options and I would also have him before Halaand

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I really hope we go back in for him. His versatility and profile is perfect for us. He can start/rotate in any of the positions behind the striker. He’s going to be one of England’s most important and marketable players and I thought he handled himself really well during the transfer rumours last year. Respectful and professional.He wants to play here so he’s already sold on Ole and what they are trying to do here. Yeah he’d be a cracking signing. Sancho and DM or DLP and I think this team goes up another level.

Loon

:lol:
I would love to see Dortmund shithoused for this player after all their posturing.

meamth

I agree. Also, in regards to his form, I said here multiple times, in a back and forth I had with another poster, the guy has been playing well for a while. This is supposed to be his poor season and the guy has 21 goal contributions in 25 games. And he's not even turned 21 years old yeah. 21 in 25 and it's supposed to mean "Sancho is not all that" or "Sancho is not worth" :lol: He's had back to back world class seasons, and is already one of the best in the world in his position, during what are supposed to be his formative years.

Incredible player. Exceptional talent.

I don't really think a substantial amount of the people posting here have been following him, and they simply just parrot what they've read a couple of times. United would be oh so lucky to have Sancho. Guy is better than all our attacking options and I would also have him before Halaand
Still German league. Won't mean much how many he contributed there.

Werner, Havertz, failed miserably here. German league's top producers are always something fishy. Unless the player came from Bayern..I don't know. I'm not that impressed.

stevoc

It amazes me that people watch this team every week and come to the conclusion that right wing isn't far and away the biggest priority in this team that needs addressing, not having a go mate but it truly baffles me.

We have strikers Martial, Cavani and Greenwood. Could we improve upon Martial yes but Greenwoods development could be stunted if we sign a top young striker.

On the other hand we have no right wingers, none. Greenwood isn't a winger, Rashford isn't a winger (not on the right anyway), Cavani isn't a winger, Bruno definitely isn't a winger, Mata never was a winger, Pogba sure as shit isn't a winger, James well.... And all those guys have played on the right wing at various times this season and none are first choice there which says it all. With Wan Bissaka at RB we are basically lop sided and struggle to stretch teams and break down defensive sides because we have virtually no creativity or cutting edge down the entire right side of the team.

Having a top right winger will help the current strikers we do have to score more, it'll also help Wan Bissaka taking pressure off him to create and allow him to concentrate on what he does best, defending.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I gotta say looking out his production and output it’s been insane these last 2 years and he’s only 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.