Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

id like to think we would sign him but would be surprised if the Glazers sanctioned this move with two excellent prospects not far off the team/squad. Possibly moving Martial on, although not a “like for like” might allow some leeway from the clubs POV. One thing for sure, AWB would benefit hugely having a proper wide player in front of him.

Also, Sancho could’ve done more to push the deal instead of diplomatic niceties last time around, so not sure that will change either.

Just feel this has gone cold, now. Hope I’m wrong. With a dm/cb also a priority, not to mention a striker, I think needs have maybe shifted a bit.
The same Glazers sanctioned a huge offer of 80m plus 15m add ons for Sancho even though our front 3 outscored Liverpool last season Pellistri/Diallo wont change that especially since one is likely to be out on loan and the other still finding his feet in a new league, new country and in top level football plus Martial wouldn`t have to leave Mata, Lingard and Andreas will all likely be off the wage bill come the start of next season(Ighalo is out too) and there`s Pogba who we`re likely to get a fee and interest for to compensate for the fee we`d have to pay
Sancho has always been a professional his refusal to push for a move last summer was cicumstancial due to the respect he has for BVB but he`s wanted to leave for a while now an its been reported elsewhere he is desperate for a step up and a return to England with BVB`s financial difficulties as well he`s ten times more likely to push for a move this time
If interest in Sancho was dead it would have been reported elsewhere but everyone connected to Utd is saying otherwise. Interest in other positions will still likely be dealt with anyway as one of Axel/Bailly will probably leave so a CB will come in, Pogba`s departure will free up midfield space for a DM and a ST will likely be for 2022 when Cavani leaves not now. I`d say a CB is probably more unlikely to happen than a DM, RW and RB as Maguire starts every game, Bailly/Lindelof are key players in that RCB position and Axel`s age may buy him time

Idxomer

He has a goal every 473 minutes and an assist every 202 minutes in the league, not that impressive considering he takes setpieces.

His form hasn't been great this season and only picked up a bit the last few weeks.

No Spring Chicken

He has a goal every 473 minutes and an assist every 202 minutes in the league, not that impressive considering he takes setpieces.

His form hasn't been great this season and only picked up a bit the last few weeks.
I wouldnt read too much into that. His head was in Manchester and then it didnt happen, he's found it hard to readjust. Dortmund have said as much. Reminds me of when VVD's move to Liverpool fell through and his form dropped at the start of the 17-18 season, it picked right back up when he got his move to liverpool.

Idxomer

I wouldnt read too much into that. His head was in Manchester and then it didnt happen, he's found it hard to readjust. Dortmund have said as much. Reminds me of when VVD's move to Liverpool fell through and his form dropped at the start of the 17-18 season, it picked right back up when he got his move to liverpool.
He’s a great player but I would expect inconsistency if he moves to the premier league, he's still pretty young too.

Jaxa

I am fairly confident in saying we have seen the end of 100m+ transfer fees for players for at least 2-3 years , even when this virus is stabilized and fans return whenever that may be it will take the clubs years to get stable themselves again, it's probably the reset the football universe needed as they money getting thrown around for players was getting out of hand.

We've got Diallo who according to so many reports is the next Ronaldo and going to be the as big as a Burmese mountain dog's balls in the football world compared to other dogs' balls. He looks so promising and I'm starting to believe a bit of the hype. To sign Sancho would completed stall Diallo's route to a right wing attacking midfielder. We can't have both in the squad. So we need to play Diallo now for the rest of the season and see if he's good enough

We're 2nd in the league and doing so much better than previous season. IF Diallo puts in some impressive displays and we come 2nd or dare dream win the league, then let's spend £100m on somewhere else. If he's completely out of his depth, then that's another matter and then sign up Sancho and see how we can get the two to play in the same team in a few years time.
And how many players have we heard that about who were never to be seen again?

Diallo shouldn't factor into the Sancho decision in any way. I don't think we should be paying 100m anymore but he's still going to be the future of the England attack for the next 10 years, alongside Rashford and possibly Greenwood.

RealBarcelonaUnited

So glad we didn't pay up the amount that Dortmund wanted. How many players that cost more than just 80m is considered a success these days? The price tag will be heavily unfair to the young lad.

essao

I am fairly confident in saying we have seen the end of 100m+ transfer fees for players for at least 2-3 years , even when this virus is stabilized and fans return whenever that may be it will take the clubs years to get stable themselves again, it's probably the reset the football universe needed as they money getting thrown around for players was getting out of hand.
This is why am desperate for the amad diallo move to succeed, even if moderately. The football madness of obscene fees needs to stop and no one seems keen on implementing caps. Buying unproven youngsters should be the norm for all teams.

gajender

This is why am desperate for the amad diallo move to succeed, even if moderately. The football madness of obscene fees needs to stop and no one seems keen on implementing caps. Buying unproven youngsters should be the norm for all teams.
Spoken like a true Elite Club supporter .

dinostar77

Diallo is in the europa league squad. If he gets game time and impresses then i doubt Sancho transfer would happen. Funds will be limited this summer as they are for all clubs. I've said it before, can see Ole buying a CB, backup RB potentially a CF this summer.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We still have a gap in our squad. I would be in favour, at the right price, which really has to be less than 100m, and preferably closer to 60m odd. The big money would be better spent on Haaland, if at all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Dortmund has been very generous, willing to lower their asking price from 120m to 100m next summer. So, for 100m Euros (89m pounds) in COVID market when no one else has money to spend, should we make a bid?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
50m take it or leave it. Do it publicly so he knows, his agent knows, his family knows and fans known.

Match Dortmunds pettiness and stick an Aug 1st date on it.

Last year, they held the cards, this year we do.
Then they'll leave it. :lol: They don't HAVE to sell him you know, especially for a pitiful amount like the one you suggested.

Honestly the arrogance of some on here is astounding. He has a bit of a drop in form (in a team playing badly overall) and suddenly they'll come crawling back on their knees begging for less than half the original asking price?

You probably think Michael Zorc should be made to kiss Ed & Ole's feet as well and shout 'I promise I will never deny thee great Manchester United, Lords of Football a player ever again!'

Alfie092

Even if Dortmund lower their price demand of £109m to £85m, which is a huge drop off, in the current is it even worth spending a bulk of out money on him??

I love Sancho and think he is brilliant, even though he has only picked up form recently! He would be a massive addition to our squad and improves us massively but my concern would be if we spend £85m on him, we won't be really spending much to strengthen other areas of the pitch.

My ideal hope and it's a big IF, is that Diallo turns out to be a quality player who regularly challenges for a starting spot for next season and give us the balance on the right we have been craving for years. Options of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Diallo and I guess James may be enough.

IF we was to have around £150m to spend on players, I would use that money to get a CB, DM and a backup RB.

Falcow

Then they'll leave it. :lol: They don't HAVE to sell him you know, especially for a pitiful amount like the one you suggested.

Honestly the arrogance of some on here is astounding. He has a bit of a drop in form (in a team playing badly overall) and suddenly they'll come crawling back on their knees begging for less than half the original asking price?

You probably think Michael Zorc should be made to kiss Ed & Ole's feet as well and shout 'I promise I will never deny thee great Manchester United, Lords of Football a player ever again!'
€50m is perhaps even on the high side at this stage when you consider his contract position and that other very minor issue, what is it again? Oh yeah....Covid.

Dortmund are gutted we weren't gullible enough to fall for their bull shit deadline date/extortionate asking price last summer, not bothered if we dont sign him. Hope he walks away on a free in summer 2022 if we cant agree a reasonable fee for him this summer.

Denis' cuff

The same Glazers sanctioned a huge offer of 80m plus 15m add ons for Sancho even though our front 3 outscored Liverpool last season Pellistri/Diallo wont change that especially since one is likely to be out on loan and the other still finding his feet in a new league, new country and in top level football plus Martial wouldn`t have to leave Mata, Lingard and Andreas will all likely be off the wage bill come the start of next season(Ighalo is out too) and there`s Pogba who we`re likely to get a fee and interest for to compensate for the fee we`d have to pay
Sancho has always been a professional his refusal to push for a move last summer was cicumstancial due to the respect he has for BVB but he`s wanted to leave for a while now an its been reported elsewhere he is desperate for a step up and a return to England with BVB`s financial difficulties as well he`s ten times more likely to push for a move this time
If interest in Sancho was dead it would have been reported elsewhere but everyone connected to Utd is saying otherwise. Interest in other positions will still likely be dealt with anyway as one of Axel/Bailly will probably leave so a CB will come in, Pogba`s departure will free up midfield space for a DM and a ST will likely be for 2022 when Cavani leaves not now. I`d say a CB is probably more unlikely to happen than a DM, RW and RB as Maguire starts every game, Bailly/Lindelof are key players in that RCB position and Axel`s age may buy him time
Jesus Christ. its Friday tomorrow mate.... “no it isn’t “ said rkk or who evs. I wasn’t being Nostradamus, pal. Just laying out possibilities, not taking as gospel every media utterance.

thats all well and good if you’re a sucker for media reports and “everyone connected with United says..” I suppose it’s a variation on ”a United spokesperson” says...

pity Dortmund werent as “professional “ as Sancho (he was hanging on to his $$$$$, never mind being professional) and allowed him his dream move, (like they do for Bayern etc) like most clubs would under the circumstances instead of acting like dicks. Sancho wanted to protect his contract stipulations even though he had a prospective move to United for a major salary increase. Wanted his cake etc. Ship has sailed. You haven’t been paying attention if you think the Glazers will invest in 2x rw players on the verge of the team/squad for a relatively modest fee and then lash out on Sancho for close to 100m, especially given our track record with BL players.

cant even be arsed with the rest of your conjecture.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Whenever Sancho had played for England he's barely looked a 40m player.

I'm becoming a little sceptical of the German league. Havertz n Werner have struggled massively too since coming here.

I think some of the better players in this league would put up silly numbers against those German teams too.

Sancho is a decent player but I'm personally glad it all fell through. He's not worth that kind of money at all.

Zen86

It's a slightly arrogant stance yes, but no more arrogant than Dortmund with their self-imposed deadlines and rhetoric in the summer.

They gambled they would get a bigger fee for him this year, and it doesn't look like that is going to pay off. Dortmund are probably more keen to sell than we are to buy at this point.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a slightly arrogant stance yes, but no more arrogant than Dortmund with their self-imposed deadlines and rhetoric in the summer.

They gambled they would get a bigger fee for him this year, and it doesn't look like that is going to pay off. Dortmund are probably more keen to sell than we are to buy at this point.
Not necessarily. Maybe they just felt the fee they could get this summer plus another year of Sancho was more worth than whatever we wanted to offer. Same stance as us with Pogba.

cyberman

Is that arrogance or literally reading recent reports from Germany?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Dortmund really handled this "transfer" well for us. You love to see it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Wow you’re bitter :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Dortmund has been very generous, willing to lower their asking price from 120m to 100m next summer. So, for 100m Euros (89m pounds) in COVID market when no one else has money to spend, should we make a bid?
Absolutely not, because it's a Covid market and no one else has money to spend (who even says we do?). Dortmund could buy half a team with £89m in this market. They wouldn't believe their luck.

Silverman

100 million is still too much. Do people think we will sign him irregardless of the money?

Zen86

Not necessarily. Maybe they just felt the fee they could get this summer plus another year of Sancho was more worth than whatever we wanted to offer. Same stance as us with Pogba.
The difference with us is that we would rather keep a player of Pogba's calibre. Dortmund's whole MO is to build a player up and cash in at the optimal time.

zenith

Sancho is still a class player and I'm quite hopeful that we are still in for him.

Getting him will solve a lot of issues, including RW, competition/rest for rashford and if needed he can step in for Bruno as well.

Price will still be an issue and hopefully we don't end up paying over 80 million

bosnian_red

The difference with us is that we would rather keep a player of Pogba's calibre. Dortmund's whole MO is to build a player up and cash in at the optimal time.
Sancho is a quality player and his previous 2 years were up there with any u21 player in the world, and they requested a lower price than the price for Dembele to Barca (after Barca just sold Neymar), after Dembele basically held out and forced a move and despite an English player tax.

Zen86

Sancho is a quality player and his previous 2 years were up there with any u21 player in the world, and they requested a lower price than the price for Dembele to Barca (after Barca just sold Neymar), after Dembele basically held out and forced a move and despite an English player tax.
It's worth remembering that we were in the middle of a global pandemic when we were "negotiating" with Dortmund (if you can call it that), so prices would naturally be lower. In all likelihood, Dortmund probably assumed everything would have blown over by the next summer window. As it were, clubs are even more strapped for cash, including Dortmund.

The value of all players has gone down. Just look at this window. How much was spent? The majority were loans, and clubs aren’t committing to big fees. One of the biggest signings was Diallo - and that was arranged in the summer.

there’s only ever been one club interested in Sancho. No one else is.

privately Dortmund will be seriously regretting not selling him last year, they won’t get an high an offer again - and it’s their model, they need to sell. They took a hard line, which they are entitled to do, but seriously misjudged the Covid situation. We were willing to really overpay.

I would have thought £75-80m this summer would be what he goes for, if United are in for him. If not, he’s not going anywhere and more likely than not will be in a position to run out his contract.

redshaw

Don't see the board going for Sancho at £89m, going to be a full season without crowds. Maybe £65-75m.

As the price lowers it will be interesting to see where he goes and how our right side investments turn out. Sancho could favour an offer from a club promising the majority of games on the left. While he can play across the front I wonder does he want to be on the right hand side for United for the majority.

Feels like the prime time for his move to us has gone and once the price falls again they'll be a small bunch of clubs willing to take him on then. A new signing for Tuchel in 2022 and Sancho truly going back home seems likely now. I wouldn't rule out this summer if United make it known they won't get involved and Dortmund will then take on a realistic view, similar to how Madrid wanted 90m from us but accept 60m from Chelsea.

hubbuh

Do you really think they'll let his contract run down? There's no way he's renewing.

RkkMan

Jesus Christ. its Friday tomorrow mate.... “no it isn’t “ said rkk or who evs. I wasn’t being Nostradamus, pal. Just laying out possibilities, not taking as gospel every media utterance.

thats all well and good if you’re a sucker for media reports and “everyone connected with United says..” I suppose it’s a variation on ”a United spokesperson” says...

pity Dortmund werent as “professional “ as Sancho (he was hanging on to his $$$$$, never mind being professional) and allowed him his dream move, (like they do for Bayern etc) like most clubs would under the circumstances instead of acting like dicks. Sancho wanted to protect his contract stipulations even though he had a prospective move to United for a major salary increase. Wanted his cake etc. Ship has sailed. You haven’t been paying attention if you think the Glazers will invest in 2x rw players on the verge of the team/squad for a relatively modest fee and then lash out on Sancho for close to 100m, especially given our track record with BL players.

cant even be arsed with the rest of your conjecture.
You seem to be extremely petty over the whole saga last summer which is a tad silly. Yeah BVB acted like cnuts about it but after the season he had, his age and nationality they were always going to ask for a huge fee 90% of selling clubs would have done the same what Utd should have done is walk away earlier instead of dragging it till the final weeks of the window. As for Sancho transfer requests nowadays are extremely rare and Sancho not handing in a transfer request is a plus rather than a negative rather have an actual pro at Utd instead of a mercenary who wouldn`t hesitate treating us the same way if he wanted to leave. Once again the same Glazers were willing to invest 80m plus 15m add ons(CRAZY MONEY) on that very same Sancho last summer despite the COVID effect and having a front 3 that outscored the PL champions on top of Van De Beek even though Pogba/Bruno were already in the team its a myth that Pellistri(who will go out on loan next season anyway) and Diallo(still young and new to top flight football) will prevent us from buying Sancho unless the latter has a RIDICULOUS season

RedDevilzFox

Man Utd debt has soared to nearly £474M and no end in sight with COVID. Be a brave person to sanction such wild transfers right now, put aside the fact he is not worth more than 40-50M including the british tax.

bosnian_red

It's worth remembering that we were in the middle of a global pandemic when we were "negotiating" with Dortmund (if you can call it that), so prices would naturally be lower. In all likelihood, Dortmund probably assumed everything would have blown over by the next summer window. As it were, clubs are even more strapped for cash, including Dortmund.
That's true and it was already taken into account. Dembele went for what, 140m? They asked for 20-40m less for a better player who wasn't pushing to leave and wasn't going to force a move (combined with English player tax).

cyberman

What recent reports have suggested Dortmund would be even close to accepting £50m?
Well theyre going down to 80m and are seemingly desperate for money. Why cant we negotiate?
If Sancho wants to go to us and Dortmund are desperate for money, why cant we put the pressure on? Might not be 50 but 65m odd isnt totally unrealistic

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Man Utd debt has soared to nearly £474M and no end in sight with COVID. Be a brave person to sanction such wild transfers right now, put aside the fact he is not worth more than 40-50M including the british tax.
By the time the transfer window opens in June we will know just how effective the vaccines are. We will probably know by then if crowds will be back in Aug.

Status
Not open for further replies.