Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agreed but I don’t think the way our squad is evolving we will buy a right winger now.

Amad has been brought to play on our wing or at least to be tried there.

If I had the choice to buy a creative player now it would have to be Grealish.

Greenwood, Grealish, Rashford and Diallo. I think would be perfect as wide forward options.

Add to the fact grealish can cover Bruno and be used in a double pivot when throwing the kitchen sink at the opponent, it’s right for our evolution.

Grealish adds a lot more weapons to our arsenal, he’s box office.

Rashford————Cavani————-Greenwood
—————-Grealish———-Bruno
——————————Fred————————————

That’s a devastating watch.
5 attacking players and Fred who isn't great defensively.

RkkMan

I still believe there is a player in VDB. His best position is alongside a DM which is either Fred or Mctominay (depending on the opposition and their reliance on set pieces.

Whereas the front four could be something like this:
Sancho/Greenwood Bruno/Grealish Grealish/Rashford/Martial
Cavani/Martial/Greenwood

If he sign both Sancho and Grealish i think our best front four would be Sancho Bruno Grealish and Cavani with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood all on the bench.
That midfield would get easily run over and bypassed in big games. VDB`s passing is too simple and limited for him to be a main creative outlet especially in a pivot where he`s lacking on the physical aspect. McTominay(and this has been emphasized heavily) is NOT a DM he`s a box to box and the only useful quality Fred offers is running around like a headless chicken other aspects of his game are too average for him to rely on as a holding midfielder week in week out outside those 3 you`re left with a finished Matic. Not signing a proper midfield replacement for Pogba will be a DISASTER probably a bigger disaster than not signing a RW. While we need Sancho it can be argued Greenwood(who`s all round game is improving) and Amad can be decent options if Pogba leaves we have ZERO decent options in the deep midfield position bar McTominay

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do you not have any concerns that he could struggle to replicate his Bundesliga form here, my other worry is that we will get the Jadon which we see turn out for the England team that I have to be honest has never blown me away
Not really. He's basically been statistically one of the best attacking players in the world since he broke into the first team at Dortmund in 17/18, and he's only 20 years old right now, turning 21 in a month. Not just with goals and assists, but the amount hes involved in build up play, the amount he progresses the ball up the pitch and in dangerous areas for dortmund year after year with his dribbling, his passing, or just his positioning to receive passes, his decision making has always been very, very good, the overall technique and agility and acceleration to make full use of it... he's just a brilliant player, and it's very different to Mkhitaryan or Kagawa. Look at his profile, flip through the past 4 seasons or look at his past year compared with all the top 5 leagues.
https://fbref.com/en/players/dbf053da/scout/365_euro/Jadon-Sancho-Scouting-Report

He's 98th/99th percentile in so many of these stats, very important stats too. Or you can look at Lionel Messi's profile, and see that statistically the player who compares most with his statistical profile is Jadon Sancho (highest similarities in dominance across the wide range of stats they collect).

The underrating of Sancho this season because a slow start to it, after everything that's happened in the off season and this season with covid, is crazy. He's a 20 year old right winger who has been dominating the Bundesliga and performing excellently in the champions league for multiple years now, and he's English, and available this summer. He's literally the perfect player for our needs, whatever way you look at it. Don't over think it. Sancho is the perfect signing for us, then it just comes down to ensuring his head is in the right space and he transitions smoothly and we get the best out of him. Considering the impact we saw when we went from Lingard or Pereira to Bruno, I'd expect similar going from whoever the feck we've played there the past 7 years, to someone who can play there naturally.

BFernandes

No.

The spine of the team needs strengthening before we look at a RW. I know that's hard to hear because we've been lacking in that position for so long, but Greenwood can do the job for the next 12 months or so whilst we sort of a CB, midfielder and a striker. And possibly a GK.

Judas

Open to offers
Leaving RW as it currently is negligent and shocking management. The sad fact is it is one of many positions that have to be upgraded in the summer, without question.

stevoc

No.

The spine of the team needs strengthening before we look at a RW. I know that's hard to hear because we've been lacking in that position for so long, but Greenwood can do the job for the next 12 months or so whilst we sort of a CB, midfielder and a striker. And possibly a GK.
The club have tried doing that about 3-4 times since 2013. It hasn't really worked out too well.

Have we signed an actual right winger since Valencia back in 2009?

James, Depay and Sanchez maybe but all are probably better on the left or centrally, Di Maria can certainly play there but i'm not sure he ever played on the right for us more than once or twice.

The only signing that's played there regularly is Mata which is sad for a club that used to be synonymous with flying wingers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Grealish would also cost close to 100m while Sancho could be available for as little as 60-70m plus 5 years younger and equally adept to either wing. Do you genuinely think Utd will play 9 digits for Grealish(in a pandemic) when Sancho who was our top target last summer is available for a significantly cheaper fee?
Last time I’ve checked, Sancho is quoted at 100m Euros, whereas Grealish is quoted at 80m (pounds?)

davidmichael

Last time I’ve checked, Sancho is quoted at 100m Euros, whereas Grealish is quoted at 80m (pounds?)
That was last summer, a lot has changed and I think Dortmund will be lucky to get £70 million this coming summer. Grealish has got 4 years left on his contract, is captain, on the back of another good season and star player so no way Villa let him go for less than £80 million and most likely quote £100 million as they’ve no reason to sell.

Dortmund on the other hand are struggling to even get a Champions League spot and if they don’t on the back of their financial problems they already have they’d most likely have a fire sale, I can see everyone being available bar Haaland and Reus so Sancho for £50-£60 million is quite likely.

bosnian_red

That was last summer before Grealish signed a new contract and took his game up a few notches, while Sancho had another year tick away on his contract, had the start of his season affected because of the disappointment at not being transferred in the summer, and Dortmund were hit harder with covid losses financially (or so I've been reading). Villa have billionaire owners and are having their best season.

Grealish last summer was probably more attainable. Now it's not even close, Sancho is available for a lower price and the key thing, available and wants to come. Grealish doesn't want to leave and isn't available unless it's a crazy offer.

RkkMan

Sancho`s price tag is 100m euros which is circa 85m pounds but it will get lower if BVB continue to spiral downwards. Grealish`s new contract bumped his price tag up

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would Dortmund be interested in re-investing the money they get for Sancho into their squad? Or will they be in such bad shape that they just need the cash to balance the books? Because if it's the former, I wonder if they would be interested in something like Martial plus 20/30 million for Sancho? Martial seems like someone who would do well in that less pressured environment at Dortmund, where the only real aim is getting top 4 every season and playing attractive football.

Giggsy13

We aren’t getting Sancho or Grealish. The Glazers will sanction one real move this summer and it will be for a CB.

bosnian_red

No.

Greenwood really can't cut it there, at least not with our current set up. Our spine has players there who are at least being played in their natural positions, but are just more a top 4 level rather than a title challenging level. We have nobody natural on the right wing however, we weaken other positions every game to try and accommodate it, it's time to stop fecking around with it and just sign the perfect option for it. Uniteds success over the years has always been built on having excellent wide options. It's by far the biggest weakness in the starting 11 every game, and it affects the rest as we just shift everything towards the left wing. Time to balance out our attack.

If there was a chance to get the perfect option as CB or in midfield, I could understand. But there isn't. There's nobody close to a perfect or clear option. There is for right wing, and its IMO our biggest hole and has been so for years now because we've neglected it for years.

Gk we'll use Henderson or De Gea. It'll be sorted out without buying anyone, at least for the short term. CB we have Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe... none are ideal, Bailly is too injury prone, but all are decent at least individually. I think we might look at it this summer, but it shouldn't be before a RW. CM we still have Pogba along with Fred and McTominay, and Matic as depth (and let's not forget VdB who there will be high hopes to play a role next season after we spent the money on him). I agree it's needed, but we have to sell to buy here, and I don't think we do anything this summer. ST we have Cavani and then Greenwood who should be learning from him and rotating in. Martial can fill in as a squad player as well. There's not a chance we address that this summer beyond extending Cavani.

At best, this summer will be:
  • RW - Sancho
  • CB - not sure who, no clear candidate
  • RB depth - trippier
With 2022 being more focused on the midfield 2 and a striker if still needed.

Giggsy13

Greenwood really can't cut it there, at least not with our current set up. Our spine has players there who are at least being played in their natural positions, but are just more a top 4 level rather than a title challenging level. We have nobody natural on the right wing however, we weaken other positions every game to try and accommodate it, it's time to stop fecking around with it and just sign the perfect option for it. Uniteds success over the years has always been built on having excellent wide options. It's by far the biggest weakness in the starting 11 every game, and it affects the rest as we just shift everything towards the left wing. Time to balance out our attack.

If there was a chance to get the perfect option as CB or in midfield, I could understand. But there isn't. There's nobody close to a perfect or clear option. There is for right wing, and its IMO our biggest hole and has been so for years now because we've neglected it for years.

Gk we'll use Henderson or De Gea. It'll be sorted out without buying anyone, at least for the short term. CB we have Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe... none are ideal, Bailly is too injury prone, but all are decent at least individually. I think we might look at it this summer, but it shouldn't be before a RW. CM we still have Pogba along with Fred and McTominay, and Matic as depth (and let's not forget VdB who there will be high hopes to play a role next season after we spent the money on him). I agree it's needed, but we have to sell to buy here, and I don't think we do anything this summer. ST we have Cavani and then Greenwood who should be learning from him and rotating in. Martial can fill in as a squad player as well. There's not a chance we address that this summer beyond extending Cavani.

At best, this summer will be:
  • RW - Sancho
  • CB - not sure who, no clear candidate
  • RB depth - trippier
With 2022 being more focused on the midfield 2 and a striker if still needed.
There are clear candidates for CB that have been reported including Kounde who may cost up to £60 million. Add Sancho and Trippier and that’s a Transfer outlay of roughly £150 million. There is no way the Glazers sanction that without a significant sale. Even if Pogba get us a fee of £50 million, we won’t get all 3.

There have already been reports that United will focus more on a CB and will shift their attention to Haaland instead of Sancho this summer. These are classic Ed briefs to the press. If Diallo shows any sign of promise or potential in the first team, we will focus our attention elsewhere. Sancho will return to England but it will be to enjoy a great career at Chelsea or liverpool.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We aren’t getting Sancho or Grealish. The Glazers will sanction one real move this summer and it will be for a CB.
This gets touted year on year and yet the club have consistently provided money when it's required

bosnian_red

There are clear candidates for CB that have been reported including Kounde who may cost up to £60 million. Add Sancho and Trippier and that’s a Transfer outlay of roughly £150 million. There is no way the Glazers sanction that without a significant sale. Even if Pogba get us a fee of £50 million, we won’t get all 3.

There have already been reports that United will focus more on a CB and will shift their attention to Haaland instead of Sancho this summer. These are classic Ed briefs to the press. If Diallo shows any sign of promise or potential in the first team, we will focus our attention elsewhere. Sancho will return to England but it will be to enjoy a great career at Chelsea or liverpool.
Kounde isn't a clear candidate. He's 5'10", and not good in the air as a result, which is a massive problem for centerbacks in the premier league. Especially at that price. Do you want a CB partnership that costs 140m, where 1 CB has no pace and the other is pretty much useless in the air up against Premier League strikers?

He'd probably do well at City as Pep's play style is unique. Everywhere else in this league, he'll struggle.

Bristol_Red_87

It's either Utd or Liverpool for me, the latter may depend more on Salah's future.

Dortmund must be kicking themselves.

Giggsy13

Kounde isn't a clear candidate. He's 5'10", and not good in the air as a result, which is a massive problem for centerbacks in the premier league. Especially at that price. Do you want a CB partnership that costs 140m, where 1 CB has no pace and the other is pretty much useless in the air up against Premier League strikers?

He'd probably do well at City as Pep's play style is unique. Everywhere else in this league, he'll struggle.
Fabio Cannavaro says hello. Height isn’t the be all and end all of being a top class CB.

BlahRules

Fabio Cannavaro says hello. Height isn’t the be all and end all of being a top class CB.
Smalling and Blind was a good CB partnership. If I remember Blind was the better defender and played well against the big forwards.

It's not about being tall, if you're positional play is of high quality then you will be fine. The question is Kounde positional sense amazing?

Giggsy13

Smalling and Blind was a good CB partnership. If I remember Blind was the better defender and played well against the big forwards.

It's not about being tall, if you're positional play is of high quality then you will be fine. The question is Kounde positional sense amazing?
From all accounts his positional sense is top level, which is why he’s drawing interest elsewhere too. He can get up in the air if needed, which is all that matters.

I do recall a United great, who didn’t tower over players but scored plenty of headers. The 6’0 Steve Bruce. Is Kounde being 2 inches less in height suddenly make him unsuitable for the PL? I’m certain he’s more athletic than Bruce was at his peak. If Kounde adds pace and positional sense then that’s all we need to compliment Maguire.

BlahRules

From all accounts his positional sense is top level, which is why he’s drawing interest elsewhere too. He can get up in the air if needed, which is all that matters.

I do recall a United great, who didn’t tower over players but scored plenty of headers. The 6’0 Steve Bruce. Is Kounde being 2 inches less in height suddenly make him unsuitable for the PL? I’m certain he’s more athletic than Bruce was at his peak. If Kounde adds pace and positional sense that’s all we need to compliment Maguire.
My only concern is we won't even have a chance in getting him. My only other question is can he organise a defence? Maguire does not communicate with anyone and DDG is just mute throughout the game. We need a player that is commanding.

BlahRules

I don't think we will pay 87m upfront, it will 87m instalments and add-ons that's if we even we bid to their valuation.

I still believe Sancho will improve us a lot and give us more balance. Having threat from both side of the pitch will allow us to break low block teams even if we play McFred.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't think we will pay 87m upfront, it will 87m instalments and add-ons that's if we even we bid to their valuation.

I still believe Sancho will improve us a lot and give us more balance. Having threat from both side of the pitch will allow us to break low block teams even if we play McFred.

87 million instalments? is that a euro a day we will send them?

redshaw

£87 million at one pound per minute would take 165 years, that's pretty good. Dortmund should put him in Littlewoods catalogue right now.

SwedishFish

No. I think we should go for Dembele, he'd probably come for about the same money.

let's see who takes the bait.

bosnian_red

Yeah. I'm not gonna rely on a CB being one of the all time greats for it being the only way it works out! Its just a big risk, the stats do show him being quite poor in aerial duels so it's clearly a weakness, that would be targeted in the Premier league more than anywhere else.

croadyman

£87 million at one pound per minute would take 165 years, that's pretty good. Dortmund should put him in Littlewoods catalogue right now.
Littlewoods catalogue now there is a true blast from the past

croadyman

This gets touted year on year and yet the club have consistently provided money when it's required
The only thing I will say is we only spent around £75m last summer and that was with matchday revenue until March, therefore without any at all this season makes me think we will cut back even more this time

Status
Not open for further replies.