Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Definitely need to make this happen this summer. I get all the buzz and excitement about Amad but after years of playing strikers and fullbacks on the wing because apparently buying a RW is too hard I would rather have genuine competition than put all our eggs in one basket. The truth is that Dortmund are ready to deal and in all likelihood he moves to the PL this summer, if we cool our interest now I fear he is going to wind up at Chelsea or Liverpool and then we will have 10 years of watching him and crying into our beer knowing we should have signed him.

mav_9me

Is he worth a 100m ? No
Is fixing our RW after years of neglect worth 100m ? Absolutely
Exactly. At some point you have to factor in the fact that you haven't had a fecking RW for 10+ years and go spend some fecking money fixing it.

SwedishFish

If we're not buying a good striker then we should spend on Sancho + a CB.

Will we?

I doubt it with these owners tbh.

Rocknrolla69er

Same but some on here seem to think its logical to put all our eggs in the Amad basket based on very little.
From what I've read lately, we need to keep hold of our inconsistent players aka Martial, not sign top talents that'd improve our team, and just stockpile unproven players as that solves problem positions

This boards mad

laughtersassassin

Sancho having another very good game here. An assist, a goal from a penalty and is just very creative in general.

Still would sign Halaand over him this summer if we can but if not go and get Jadon.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Pogba goes we will have to buy a Midfielder too tbh.

Rice with lingard going the other way maybe.
Rice isn't a good replacement for Pogba, we already need someone like Rice, if we lost Pogba we'd need his replacement plus Rice (or someone of that ilk).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Still think he'll be the big name signing in the summer, as much as we and the club would love Haaland, I just can't seem to convince myself it'll happen.
Lingard plus say 45-50 cash for Rice but I doubt West Ham would deal for that. It’ll be 60 at least I’d say. There must be cheaper alternatives. I reckon you’d get Camavinga for 60 so maybe just sell Jesse!
Sancho on a slightly discounted price. 80?
Centre back 50.

about 180 minus any outgoings. It’s doable and it takes our squad up a level. Will we just go for it. Nope. It’s going to be another summer of sorry lads, covid.... I think now is the time to take a few risks with the vaccine around the corner but the market still deflated

Last edited:

SwedishFish

Lingard plus say 45-50 cash for Rice but I doubt West Ham would deal for that. It’ll be 60 at least I’d say. There must be cheaper alternatives. I reckon you’d get Camavinga for 60 so maybe just sell Jesse!
Sancho on a slightly discounted price. 80?
Centre back 50.

about 180 minus any outgoings. It’s doable and it takes our squad up a level. Will we just go for it. Nope. It’s going to another summer of sorry lads, glazers.
Fixed that for you.

RUCK4444

Rice isn't a good replacement for Pogba, we already need someone like Rice, if we lost Pogba we'd need his replacement plus Rice (or someone of that ilk).
Plus Pogba is three times the player Rice is and then some.

If we lost Pogba and signed Rice with no other midfielders I would be feckin fuming.

Ali Dia

Fixed that for you.
I know. They drive me nuts too. Hopefully this summer they take the handbrake off and back the manager again.There wasn’t a peep out of him about not getting transfers he needed this season but everyone can clearly see the team is still lacking important key ingredients and we are only going to hang on in there at best until we get them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Plus Pogba is three times the player Rice is and then some.

If we lost Pogba and signed Rice with no other midfielders I would be feckin fuming.
Me too. Pogba and Fernandes were crucial helping us break down teams who pack their own box. By taking Pogba out of the equation we're suddenly back to struggling as no one else can do what he can in CM. Realistically if Pogba goes we need 2 CMs, not sure I trust the club to get that done, we seem to have a stupidly strict one in one out policy, and half the time don't even replace the "one out".

Bearded One

We need to get Sancho yo sort our right side of attack this summer even though we get cheated a little money-wise. Let them enjoy the money while we look to win trophies for years to come.

SwedishFish

I know. They drive me nuts too. Hopefully this summer they take the handbrake off and back the manager again.There wasn’t a peep out of him about not getting transfers he needed this season but everyone can clearly see the team is still lacking important key ingredients and we are only going to hang on in there at best until we get them.
There are like 3 decent signings needed to get this team to be on par with Man City. The fact that we're not going out and getting them is driving me up the wall frankly.

Hopefully the strides we've made this year will make them realize that we need to boost the team now when the opportunity is there.

Ali Dia

There are like 3 decent signings needed to get this team to be on par with Man City. The fact that we're not going out and getting them is driving me up the wall frankly.

Hopefully the strides we've made this year will make them realize that we need to boost the team now when the opportunity is there.
feels like we say this every summer after we do ok and nothing happens...

Ali Dia

Another problem is now that we slept on Sancho last summer what if both he and haaland move this summer? 0 chance of us going for both even though we badly need both and we’ve been chasing them for ages. We are our own worst enemy with our indecision and we will end up spending even more trying to fix problems and catch up down the line than if we just went out and met it head on. The only plan I can really see coming to any fruition at the minute is hanging our hopes on the youth set up to fill the holes the owners leave in the first team. Maybe that’s why they keep renewing Jones Mata and Matic- waiting for players to step up...

Judas

Open to offers
Well we didn't sleep on Sancho did we, we weren't willing to pay the massive fee Dortmund wanted, and now will be able to get him cheaper this summer, if we're still interested that is.

SwedishFish

I very much doubt Haaland is going anywhere this summer unless Raiola causes a massive stirr and move is forced.

VDB is supposed to be our replacement for Pogba, he's certainly not like-for-like but if we're not gonna give him chances next season then are we ever going to?

Rice would be the upgrade at DM that we've been screaming for. A CB is needed for competition at the back. Sancho could be the icing on the cake but it's all very much dependent on whether the Glazers will authorize us going for it. Surely they can see the covid situation clearing up on the horizon and the potential that investment could bring.

This is the summer to do it.

mav_9me

Yep. Unfortunately I'd have more hope in us spending big if we finished outside the top 4 than inside it, because that's what the past suggests.
There is a clear pattern. We don't spend when we finish in top 4.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A net spend of 70-80mil would be as much as any non sugar daddy club could hope for this summer.

Even if we could spent 75 plus raise 50millions in sales I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy Sancho for anything more than 60mil.

Ali Dia

From what I’ve read we’ve been briefing that we’ve cooled our interest but are monitoring the situation. Grrrrr. I hate monitoring the situation. Such a stupid term for a top football club to keep using.

Imagine an extra 5/10 goals and a few assists coming from the other side of the pitch? How cool would that be?! Extra space for our other attackers to play in? A long term partner to AWB? A night off for Rashford or Bruno? I swear it makes too much sense for us to follow though...

Last edited:

SwedishFish

From what I’ve read we’ve been briefing that we’ve cooled our interest but are monitoring the situation. Grrrrr. I hate monitoring the situation. Such a stupid term for a top football club to keep using.

Imagine an extra 5/10 goals and a few assists coming from the other side of the pitch? How cool would that be?! Extra space for our other attackers to play in? A long term partner to AWB? A night off for Rashford or Bruno? I swear it makes too much sense for us to follow though...
It's too early. We'll know for sure what the plans are come June/July.

We get a lot of players touted to us at this point in the season every year, can all change quickly depending on what happens later on.

croadyman

Still think he'll be the big name signing in the summer, as much as we and the club would love Haaland, I just can't seem to convince myself it'll happen.
Well could live with that if we keep Eddy on and Jadon is capable of finding him

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Would much rather move for Haaland but every big club will be in for him

laughtersassassin

I dont care really. Great strikers find a way to score. We havnt had a striker in his prime since RVP.
this is true. Since 2013 we have been signing stop gap strikers and a square peg in Lukaku who we haven't Replaced. Time we go all out for a top class one.

Given the choice of Halaand or Sancho then we have to go Halaand for me.

But if no Halaand then snap Sancho up and keep Edi for a season

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
this is true. Since 2013 we have been signing stop gap strikers and a square peg in Lukaku who we haven't Replaced. Time we go all out for a top class one.

Given the choice of Halaand or Sancho then we have to go Halaand for me.

But if no Halaand then snap Sancho up and keep Edi for a season
You just gotta look at Alan Shearer. Played in mainly medicore teams and still all-time PL scorer. Our team is still incomplete, but world class strikers is just one thing you can't miss out one. Especially considering the lack of great strikers these days(who aren't past 32).

Status
Not open for further replies.