Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
And your are United's CEO? You don't have an idea either so quit your attitude. The fact is that no body knows. However, given the amount of debt on our books, the loss of revenue due to Covid, and now the loss of a sponsor will impact us. You can post as many smileys as you want.

As I said, name and shame me later once the summer transfer window is over.
you're having an absolute mare in this thread and when you've got as many people ridiculing you as you do it's time to step down:lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did we not go back late in the window with a 90 million offer or something or was that tabloid bs in the end?

I think he goes to Chelsea in the end.
We did and it wasn't the offer Zorc asked for, which shows how stupid his ask really was.

Jaxa

That would be poor business on our part. Dortmund would negotiate from a position with the assumption they've qualified for the CL. If they don't qualify their position is weakened, but if we negotiate before this is determined they don't need to consider that.
Why do people think if this happens they’re going to knock 15 million off the price, this is one of their highest assets, if they don’t qualify for CL they’re not going to reduce the price by much if anything,

Will Spurs sell Kane a bit cheaper because they're Out of CL next season too ? No way

Dortmund aren’t plagued by Debts and don’t have players on massive wages, they’ll be fine for a season financially out of Europe

cyberman

We did and it wasn't the offer Zorc asked for, which shows how stupid his ask really was.
We never made a bid. There was the whole story about how shocked Dortmund were that we didnt that came out

Judas

Open to offers
you're having an absolute mare in this thread and when you've got as many people ridiculing you as you do it's time to step down:lol:
Must continue to scrap and claw and fight in an online fight on RedCafe, must save face, can't give in, can't lose. Honestly, how people can't just walk away is baffling, especially when they're just looking very silly.

Devil may care

Either read the response fully or stop replying back. I have never claimed that what I am suggesting is a fact. Don't put up a straw-man for trying to "win" the internet.

Sancho may be vary of our future direction if the club continues to be in turmoil through a civil war between fans and the owner. If what happened was a one off then there is no harm done. However, if games continue to be disrupted and sponsors continue to leave us then we will eventually lose our ability to attract and retain top talent.
I read what you said just fine thanks, same as I read your posts in the thread about the kit sponsor that you've essentially transported here to continue moaning about the fans protesting, I remember when our failure to make top 4 was also going to effect us attracting top players, hasn't happened yet, the fact is it's all guesswork being lauded as fact, nothing more.

cyberman

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why do people think if this happens they’re going to knock 15 million off the price, this is one of their highest assets, if they don’t qualify for CL they’re not going to reduce the price by much if anything,

Will Spurs sell Kane a bit cheaper because they're Out of CL next season too ? No way

Dortmund aren’t plagued by Debts and don’t have players on massive wages, they’ll be fine for a season financially out of Europe
Oh I don't know, because that's literally what Zorc said a month ago?

Therefore, he made it clear to the press that if that happened (missing out on the CL), they would have to sell players. "We would miss out on between 80 and 90 million euros in income," a worried Zorc said.

Losses which are also due to the fact the games are played behind closed doors: "If we have to play the rest of the season without fans, as seems likely, we'll have losses of between 80 and 90 million euros which we won't get. We'll have to act based on that."
You're incredibly naive if you think a buying club will offer the same money for a player if a club has to sell rather than prefer to.

RkkMan

Never happened when it all came out, the media were a mess on that one.
We never made a bid because we knew it wouldn't be accepted and negotiations apparently went silent when the media pretended we were in a back and forth frenzy. It was such a damp squib.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...d-Sancho-fear-losing-face-offer-rejected.html
The Athletic and Sky Germany would have a lot more intel on such a story than The Daily Mail mate and do you REALLY believe the club were that concerned about "backlash from fans"???? :lol: :lol:

RkkMan

cyberman

Daily Mail too BTW which just shows that they're the last paper to believe for such a story and that Talksport(LOL) story is from August our bid came in September so you're kinda contradicting yourself
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...id-Jadon-Sancho-desperately-try-land-him.html
But the story that leaked was a denial from Utd themselves. The fact the Mail backtracked speaks volumes. The media all said we made a 80m bid early on. All from the Athletic etc as well. Well Zorc himself said that never happened and they werent even in contact.
It was all media nonsense. Youre not arguing against me but V Dortmund and Utd themselves.

Widow

So you believe one news report and not the other? Hardly a convincing argument.

On the balance of probabilities, it looks like a bid could have gone in, to test BD willingness to do a deal. Will we actually ever know? Probably not.

It may depend what we class as a 'offer'. A backdoor bid could have been the way with a genuine bid only being presented when there is a certaianty of acceptance maybe.

cyberman

Lo
So you believe one news report and not the other? Hardly a convincing argument.

On the balance of probabilities, it looks like a bid could have gone in, to test BD willingness to do a deal. Will we actually ever know? Probably not.
Because one came after the frenzy based on a denial from Utd themselves?

Judas

Open to offers
We never made a bid direct to Dortmund. That's true, I believe that. Do I think we had discussions and threw numbers at intermediates, absolutely. The bid to Dortmund would only have gone in if we'd agreed a price which we clearly never did. This is just basic common sense stuff, looking at not just the Sancho saga but how we've done business over the last few years. Feels weird to still be talking about last summers nonsense really.

RkkMan

But the story that leaked was a denial from Utd themselves. The fact the Mail backtracked speaks volumes. The media all said we made a 80m bid early on. All from the Athletic etc as well. Well Zorc himself said that never happened and they werent even in contact.
It was all media nonsense. Youre not arguing against me but V Dortmund and Utd themselves.
Note where it's said LAST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER in this tweet this particular one wasn't strongly denied if denied at all
Yeah I do remember there was talk of a bid early in the window which Utd did deny and a frenzy of these stories came out but like I said early in the window this was from August
But in the last week of September we 100% made a bid even Sky from Germany reported it on top of local media. The so called "Denial" from The Daily Mail who "backtracked" from it is as believable as The Tooth Fairy. They're nothing more than a decent source. If the denial came from The Athletic, Ducker or Simon Stone you'd be right

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We never made a bid. There was the whole story about how shocked Dortmund were that we didnt that came out
We were ready to make a maximum offer, of course Dortmund wouldn't entertain our appetite. Its not like an official bid had to be launched.

Widow

We never made a bid direct to Dortmund. That's true, I believe that. Do I think we had discussions and threw numbers at intermediates, absolutely. The bid to Dortmund would only have gone in if we'd agreed a price which we clearly never did.

My thoughts exactly

cyberman

We never made a bid direct to Dortmund. That's true, I believe that. Do I think we had discussions and threw numbers at intermediates, absolutely. The bid to Dortmund would only have gone in if we'd agreed a price which we clearly never did. This is just basic common sense stuff, looking at not just the Sancho saga but how we've done business over the last few years. Feels weird to still be talking about last summers nonsense really.
Apparently it was silence for a good 3 to 4 weeks before the deadline. It was such a weird saga, its the summer I lose all respect for the likes of Romano. He almost drove that story on a daily basis

redshaw

Yes I doubt they will. The determining factor will be his contract being a year less each summer.

The recent interview with Sancho shows the situation, he's still very young, at a good club that he respects and he has signed the contract. If he doesn't move again it's not a massive deal for Sancho or Dortmund and probably ends up going like the Sane to Bayern deal if the prospective club don't want to cough up the money or aren't able.

Sancho is a bit cheaper this summer but Dortmund can hold firm and keep a top player for next season and sell to anyone for 50-60 million later. Also if there's a buying frenzy once covid is behind Europe long enough his price could become inflated even with a year left. Dortmund also have a promising manager next season and United probably aren't as keen now we have some options for the right.

RkkMan

Yes I doubt they will. The determining factor will be his contract being a year less each summer.

The recent interview with Sancho shows the situation, he's still very young, at a good club that he respects and he has signed the contract. If he doesn't move again it's not a massive deal for Sancho or Dortmund and probably ends up going like the Sane to Bayern deal if the prospective club don't want to cough up the money or aren't able.

Sancho is a bit cheaper this summer but Dortmund can hold firm and keep a top player for next season and sell to anyone for 50-60 million later. Also if there's a buying frenzy once covid is behind Europe long enough his price could become inflated even with a year left. Dortmund also have a promising manager next season and United probably aren't as keen now we have some options for the right.
An interview is very different to real life. Any man and his dog could see how the failed move affected his performances on the pitch for the first half of the season something which BVB's manager and Michael Zorc themselves admitted to so I MASSIVELY doubt Sancho, his camp and BVB will want a repeat of that this summer as the player himself wants to go back to England, BVB don't want to risk having an unhappy player on their books AGAIN and if you've seen how COVID has hit their finances you'll know they NEED money from a sale this time round. Not to mention potentially losing Haaland AND Sancho in the same year in 2022 will look disastrous from a PR perspective for their image selling Sancho this year then Haaland in a year looks more respectable
If anyone offers something way below BVB's valuation of course they'll reject it(if they want €85-90m but we offer €60m then it's not happening but something like €70/75m plus achievable add ons/bonuses could do the trick we offered more than that last year)
As for Utd we went hard for Sancho despite Greenwood's breakthrough season last year so Greenwood's presence again is unlikely to affect anything we still lack star dust in attack Cavani at 34 won't play every game so it's likely we'll experiment using Mason as No9 often which makes Sancho needed even more. Amad who's never played a single minute in the PL is not likely to be depended on in large scale manner

Brophs

The One and Only
Always nice to drop in and find out that United are hoping to sign Sancho 9 months ago.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
An interview is very different to real life. Any man and his dog could see how the failed move affected his performances on the pitch for the first half of the season something which BVB's manager and Michael Zorc themselves admitted to so I MASSIVELY doubt Sancho, his camp and BVB will want a repeat of that this summer as the player himself wants to go back to England, BVB don't want to risk having an unhappy player on their books AGAIN and if you've seen how COVID has hit their finances you'll know they NEED money from a sale this time round. Not to mention potentially losing Haaland AND Sancho in the same year in 2022 will look disastrous from a PR perspective for their image selling Sancho this year then Haaland in a year looks more respectable
If anyone offers something way below BVB's valuation of course they'll reject it(if they want €85-90m but we offer €60m then it's not happening but something like €70/75m plus achievable add ons/bonuses could do the trick we offered more than that last year)
As for Utd we went hard for Sancho despite Greenwood's breakthrough season last year so Greenwood's presence again is unlikely to affect anything we still lack star dust in attack Cavani at 34 won't play every game so it's likely we'll experiment using Mason as No9 often which makes Sancho needed even more. Amad who's never played a single minute in the PL is not likely to be depended on in large scale manner
What did they admit to? Do you have any source for that?

IMO thatvs wishful thinking. There was absolutely no sign that Sancho struggled because of the failed move. People were actually surprised how professionally he behaved.

RkkMan

What did they admit to? Do you have any source for that?

IMO thatvs wishful thinking. There was absolutely no sign that Sancho struggled because of the failed move. People were actually surprised how professionally he behaved.
https://www.90min.com/posts/lucien-favre-transfer-speculation-jadon-sancho-manchester-united
Can't find the one on Zorc for some reason but I remember him vividly saying something similar to Favre. There's every possiblity he was affected though he may have been genuinely eager to go back to his home country and he may have had his whole heart set on it. If his emotional investment in going to England was anywhere near what the media reported then I fail to see anything else that may have made him play so badly between August and December

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
https://www.90min.com/posts/lucien-favre-transfer-speculation-jadon-sancho-manchester-united
Can't find the one on Zorc for some reason but I remember him vividly saying something similar to Favre. There's every possiblity he was affected though he may have been genuinely eager to go back to his home country and he may have had his whole heart set on it. If his emotional investment in going to England was anywhere near what the media reported then I fail to see anything else that may have made him play so badly between August and December
They said that all the fuss has distracted him, not that he was frustrated the move didn't go through. And even Favre said that this could be the case but that no player is in good form all the time.

As it seems, Sancho was fine with staying for another year and reports have it that he is also okay with not moving again if nobody offers the fee they have negotiated with Dortmund until a preset date.

I totally get that you guys hope to sign him but some of the stuff that's being presented as facts here is stretching it very, very far. There are signs that speak for a transfer and there are also signs that speak against it. Ignoring the latter will only lead to frustration if the move doesn't happen, eventually.

Boavista

I don't even think he was that bad in autumn, but in any case he certainly still put in a lot of effort. Whether his heart was set on leaving or not, the media frenzy all summer must have put a lot of pressure and stress on him. This is playing armchair psychologist a bit, but I can imagine it's difficult to be at your best when you suddenly realise the whole world is analysing every move you make and you start overthinking, when previously everything on the pitch came intuitively.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Never happened when it all came out, the media were a mess on that one.
We never made a bid because we knew it wouldn't be accepted and negotiations apparently went silent when the media pretended we were in a back and forth frenzy. It was such a damp squib.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...d-Sancho-fear-losing-face-offer-rejected.html
Of course there would be a deny when it was never going to be successful.

These days bids are often made official when there is a reasonable expectation of acceptance. There is no doubt whatsoever that we had a figure ready and spoke to Dortmund about it, and it was too low for them (which is daft because they had a stupid expectation). Dortmund have pretty much confirmed this as well a few days ago, it was either Zorc or Watzke who said Sancho almost left but they did not get a fee that was up to their expectation. Of course we were the only ones in the running so he was referring to us.

The media made no mess, Athletic were likely spot on in saying we had an offer ready and it wasn't entertained by Dortmund.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't even think he was that bad in autumn, but in any case he certainly still put in a lot of effort. Whether his heart was set on leaving or not, the media frenzy all summer must have put a lot of pressure and stress on him. This is playing armchair psychologist a bit, but I can imagine it's difficult to be at your best when you suddenly realise the whole world is analysing every move you make and you start overthinking, when previously everything on the pitch came intuitively.
Moreover, the Corona situation, the short break and - also very importantly - the departure of key players like, namely Hakimi. He was probably the single most important partner Sancho had on the pitch.

Mindhunter

I read what you said just fine thanks, same as I read your posts in the thread about the kit sponsor that you've essentially transported here to continue moaning about the fans protesting, I remember when our failure to make top 4 was also going to effect us attracting top players, hasn't happened yet, the fact is it's all guesswork being lauded as fact, nothing more.
Again putting up the strawman? No one knows the future (including you) so it isn’t fact that this wouldn’t impact us either. Even you are guessing. It’s literally all we do on a football forum. Get off your high horse.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Doesn’t address the point though. Keep laughing.
The point is as has already been pointed out to you that transfers aren't reliant on just one sponsorship deal, if we don't sign player x it's not because of this

hubbuh

Again putting up the strawman? No one knows the future (including you) so it isn’t fact that this wouldn’t impact us either. Even you are guessing. It’s literally all we do on a football forum. Get off your high horse.
Jesus Christ man, people have explained to you multiple times why this sponsorship withdrawal isn't Armageddon. It's not guesswork to assume we'll find another sponsor, it's common bleedin' sense. It's a positive because while we obviously will find another corporation that'd love to slap their logo across our training tops, it'll also make the Glazers acutely aware that the public perception and fan influence can and does affect finances.

Devil may care

I'm not on a high horse, quit trying buzzword bullshit because you have no argument, you were being a smug prick to the other guy while doing the same thing as him, which is hypocrisy.

Judas

Open to offers
You'd have to be so willfully stubborn and ignorant to think there's not a line of sponsors willing to have their ugly logos slapped on our kits, even our bloody training kits. Manchester United football club isn't going to die because of Myprotein.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Still think this is very much a deal that suits all parties and therefore should happen, now that Ed the killer of logical deals is leaving.

Sancho wants to play in England, that much is abundantly clear. For his chances of being in the national team, for his exposure as a brand and because its his home. He's done the right by Dortmund by getting his head down and playing alright this year.

Dortmund need money, they posted losses of 75m euros LAST season, no matter this one with no fans. Zorc undoubtedly talks a good game and has the press wrapped around his little finger but there is a business reality that all the bluster in the world can't solve.

United need a 'make good' signing for the fans, Ole needs an actual right-sided forward and Sancho fits the bill perfectly, with the added bonus of knowing other players and having to risk of culture shock or anything like that.

Last season, Dortmund held all the cards. This season, I believe it's far closer to United. He'll leave if Haaland doesn't. And I can't see any club on Earth ponying up what Raoila would want this summer.

Mindhunter

Jesus Christ man, people have explained to you multiple times why this sponsorship withdrawal isn't Armageddon. It's not guesswork to assume we'll find another sponsor, it's common bleedin' sense. It's a positive because while we obviously will find another corporation that'd love to slap their logo across our training tops, it'll also make the Glazers acutely aware that the public perception and fan influence can and does affect finances.
Very true if there is a cessation of hostilities. Not true if we keep bleeding, stop games from happening, and hound out sponsors. It will eventually bite us in the back.

I have no clue whether it will impact the Sancho transfer or not but to completely write off the possibility is naive.

Always nice to drop in and find out that United are hoping to sign Sancho 9 months ago.
isint it just!

You'd have to be so willfully stubborn and ignorant to think there's not a line of sponsors willing to have their ugly logos slapped on our kits, even our bloody training kits. Manchester United football club isn't going to die because of Myprotein.
reading some of the posts in here, from a certain poster and the ones in the thread itself - either people are genuinely financially illiterate coupled with a lack of common sense or they are being purposely ignorant. I don’t know the answer.

the sponsorship deal is significant in that it’s symbolic, but in terms of financial impact it’s minimal - and it’s certainly not a £200m loss like some think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.