Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Seems most dangerous when in acres of space in counter attacking scenarios. Will be very different playing in the PL for Utd where teams will be double teaming you and playing compact.
Double up on Sancho, leaves room for Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood etc. I see where you're coming from though, but I've seen enough to not be too worried.

RiqCantona

Transfers for BVB, in general, are purely business. They are a selling club after all. They have a classic buyer/seller outlook over all their assets, where the seller will sell for only the right price. But the problem is that the value of a footballer is intangible. A million pounds extra, is a million pounds wasted. They might value Sancho at £90m, whereas we value him at £65m. Like last season, the trick will be to find the middle ground which I think will be around 80, that is, if BVB actually want to sell. Don't think our valuation of him has changed. Its still around 65-70 for us, except BVB now should be thinking 90-ish instead of 100+.

So, I am pretty sure BVB will be selling this summer. They need the business. Just depends on whether it will be Sancho, Haaland, or both.

Failure to qualify for UCL will really force their hand.

Boavista

He had 21 goals in all competitions 3 years ago, I think Ralph Rangnick struggled with getting the best out of him for the year he was there, so he got 19 goals before Nagelsmann maximized his skills a lot better in the final season (34 in all comps).

I don't like talking abut isolated cases, as my point is more general. Bundasliga is a lot more open with higher lines, Shalke have conceded 80 goals in one campaign over there :lol:. It's a lot easier to boost stats, and that's not to say players should be ignored but just to take their domestic stats with a pinch of salt. Sancho will come in and do very well wherever he goes, but I'd be surprised if he manages similar numbers straight away.
Yeah Schalke are a mess, among the worst seasons of any team historically.

I think there's a good chance Werner had the best season he'll ever have last season in terms of numbers, I doubt he would have replicated those numbers this year anyway had he stayed in Leipzig. But watching him play for Chelsea it's hard to claim he's struggling in the league given how many easy chances he's missed. That has very little to do with the league. It's much more likely it's a matter of confidence, as well as playing in a new team that was struggling for half the season, and is only just starting to gel in attack.

Generally people put way too much weight on the question can this player do it in the Premier League. If you ask me, the question can he do it in this team is the far more obvious one, yet that always seems secondary. Players moving to another team within the same league fail to live up to expectation all the time, but when players from abroad do the same, it's always the difference in league quality that gets brought up, especially if that player joins from a German team.

That being said, yeah many German teams currently aren't defensively solid, but that doesn't make it impossible to judge a player in that league. I doubt Sancho would put up the same numbers at United, at least initially. But on the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if he did, were he to join City instead for instance.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Seems most dangerous when in acres of space in counter attacking scenarios. Will be very different playing in the PL for Utd where teams will be double teaming you and playing compact.
Of course he is more dangerous on the counter. But that goes for pretty much everyone no?

One of his biggest strengths is his interplay and close control and passing in the box, which would be most useful against packed defenses.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think what we also need to consider is, if Sancho were to come to United, he'd be moving to a team that play the exact same system - a 4231.

Sometimes, transfers don't always work because players need time to adjust to the system, etc.

For example, prior to Jose buying Pogba from Juventus, Pogba played in a 3 on the left. When he came, Jose played him in a double pivot.

laughtersassassin

Given his technically abilities and passing, Sancho is exactly the kind of talent we need to beat the low block. He's no kick and run straight line pace merchant.
I think what we also need to consider is, if Sancho were to come to United, he'd be moving to a team that play the exact same system - a 4231.

Sometimes, transfers don't always work because players need time to adjust to the system, etc.

For example, prior to Jose buying Pogba from Juventus, Pogba played in a 3 on the left. When he came, Jose played him in a double pivot.
I'd still love us to go 433 atleast for some games. Think we could rip apart the lower teams with it. Sign a proper DM and then we have everyone playing in their best position.

Jaxa

The reality is we could have this done and dusted, the dotted line signed before the window even opens and not have to go through a whole window of pain but this club are clearly not capable of getting deals done early, so so frustrating

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The reality is we could have this done and dusted, the dotted line signed before the window even opens and not have to go through a whole window of pain but this club are clearly not capable of getting deals done early, so so frustrating
Woodward's last hurrah. Well have a Ed special this summer. Nail biting as usual.

Judas

Open to offers
I think this is the most annoying thing. It's there to be done. Open goal signing. He wants it, Dortmund probably want it, surely we still want it. Just save us the drama.

Gordon S

The rumoured 80m seems fair and a nobrainer for us. Even considering the pandemic.
Already established as a top class player despite his age. Just turned 21!
Would add so much quality to our attack and my guess is that he would thrive next to players like Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba

laughtersassassin

Yeah the fact we never wrap anything up early and then seem to panic sign second or third choices is very infuriating

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think this is the most annoying thing. It's there to be done. Open goal signing. He wants it, Dortmund probably want it, surely we still want it. Just save us the drama.
Absolutely, such an obvious signing to make. But none of feel that confident of it happening.

laughtersassassin

Not really sure what Zorc us saying but I truly see no reason for us to not get this done. It was so close last year.

bosskeano

If you can get Sancho for 80m euros than it's a deal worth doing. He would bring balance to the squad with having a natural right wing player that actually can play on the right. He brings goals, assists and defensive qualities. This is a no brainer for me and a deal that must get done this summer.

RiqCantona

Stats do matter, but then again are also misinterpreted. They are so often skewed in one direction or the other.

The Sancho case for me is very black and white. There are not too many players who are a) top quality RW, b) affordable and c) available. Once you start eliminating the rest, there really aren't too many options for RW. Overrated or not - he really is one of the best available Right Wingers out there.

laughtersassassin

This might rule us out? We don't pay attention to deadlines. Don't trust our club at all when it comes to trying to strengthen.

marktan

It's more the price than anything. As per the title thread, it was probably not worth us spending £110m on Sancho last summer like Dortmund wanted. That's more than Telles, VDB, and Diallo combined.

They'll probably want around £80-90m this time round, which is still a pretty high figure.

If they really wanted to sell they'd come to a more reasonable figure. If not then we'll probably just scout alternatives and get a DM, RB etc too.

I think Dortmund know they have to sell this summer as next summer he'll only have a year left, so a deal will get done with any interested clubs at around £60m + £10m add ons.

laughtersassassin

Stats do matter, but then again are also misinterpreted. They are so often skewed in one direction or the other.

The Sancho case for me is very black and white. There are not too many players who are a) top quality RW, b) affordable and c) available. Once you start eliminating the rest, there really aren't too many options for RW. Overrated or not - he really is one of the best available Right Wingers out there.
Exactly. Who else is out there?

Raphina is very good but not as good and doesn't have as high a ceiling.

But he lakhs for Leeds. Of we wanted him he'd cost us at least 3/4 of what we'd have to pay for Sancho. Hardly worth it.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd still love us to go 433 atleast for some games. Think we could rip apart the lower teams with it. Sign a proper DM and then we have everyone playing in their best position.
Would he suit the 433 system, though?

Typically, a winger in a 433 is a wide forward - someone who will run in behind a stretch teams, i.e. Rashy, Son, Salah, Mane, etc.

Sancho, whilst he can run in behind, is much more of a wide playmaker and to me, would be more suited to a 4231 formation, where he can drift into those pockets of space and look to create.

marktan

Exactly. Who else is out there?

Raphina is very good but not as good and doesn't have as high a ceiling.

But he lakhs for Leeds. Of we wanted him he'd cost us at least 3/4 of what we'd have to pay for Sancho. Hardly worth it.
I've argued it before in this thread but St.Maximin for me. Carries Newcastle hard, they picked up basically no points when he was injured / had covid for 3 months, they've now picked up about 10 points since he's been back.

If I were in charge of United, I'd pick up him and Bissouma for about £100m total, which is not much higher than what Dortmund want for Sancho

Get an attacking RB in too and we'd have some serious squad depth. But I'm not a scout so we'll probably see some more esoteric singings if Dortmund want £80m+ for Sancho.

Jaxa

Everybody and there dog knows United want Sancho and Sancho wants United, it seems Dortmund are willing to sell, like you say open goal signing ,lets not argue over 10m which in football terms is about 10 quid :(

RiqCantona

I've argued it before in this thread but St.Maximin for me. Carries Newcastle hard, they picked up basically no points when he was injured / had covid for 3 months, they've now picked up about 10 points since he's been back.

If I were in charge of United, I'd pick up him and Bissouma for about £100m total, which is not much higher than what Dortmund want for Sancho

Get an attacking RB in too and we'd have some serious squad depth. But I'm not a scout so we'll probably see some more esoteric singings if Dortmund want £80m+ for Sancho.
Yea... But based on what? He's got what... 3 goals and 5 assists all season (from 22 games). Had the same last season as well. Doesn't really set the world alight does he? He's definitely got potential, I'll give you that. But he needs to have 1 amazing season to be considered a contender right now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Not really sure what Zorc us saying but I truly see no reason for us to not get this done. It was so close last year.
He's saying the don't want to sell him, but Sancho wants to leave. It's up to him to "find" a new club.

Surely we will be in for him again, we can't have gone through all that last summer to suddenly saying we don't want him.

Rolaholic

30 G+A in all comps for the 3rd season running shortly after turning 21...

This would surely go down as another Hazard to Chelsea situation if we miss out on a no brainer transfer like this

Boavista

It's more the price than anything. As per the title thread, it was probably not worth us spending £110m on Sancho last summer like Dortmund wanted. That's more than Telles, VDB, and Diallo combined.

They'll probably want around £80-90m this time round, which is still a pretty high figure.

If they really wanted to sell they'd come to a more reasonable figure. If not then we'll probably just scout alternatives and get a DM, RB etc too.

I think Dortmund know they have to sell this summer as next summer he'll only have a year left, so a deal will get done with any interested clubs at around £60m + £10m add ons.
That's fair enough, but even next summer they could sell him for a sizeable amount. Even with one year left on his contract, something like £50+10m seems an achievable sum, especially if he has a good season, and clubs can count with matchday revenue again. That might seem expensive for a short contract, but at that figure there's a number of clubs who could afford it, so I don't see why Dortmund would ask for less than that next summer.

That's why I doubt 60+10 would be enough to get them to agree this summer. Dortmund won't be able to get a replacement of his quality anyway, but anyone they do buy will be expensive too. And their chances of a good season goes down without Sancho, so selling him for little less than they could possibly get next summer seems unlikely.

croadyman

30 G+A in all comps for the 3rd season running shortly after turning 21...

This would surely go down as another Hazard to Chelsea situation if we miss out on a no brainer transfer like this
Yeah we should go all in for him this summer because that RW has been neglected for way too long, yes I know he has played more on the LW this season but think he has more than proved himself on the other side at Dortmund

theklr

Surely this has to be one of our most dragged-out sagas ever? I mean, getting him in the summer will be more of an relief than enjoyment, and if we dont I really dont care anymore...

Rolaholic

Yeah we should go all in for him this summer because that RW has been neglected for way too long, yes I know he has played more on the LW this season but think he has more than proved himself on the other side at Dortmund
Yea the majority of his assist and scoring numbers at Dortmund have been at RW so he's more than comfortable either way and would fill an almost decades long need there.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Surely this has to be one of our most dragged-out sagas ever? I mean, getting him in the summer will be more of an relief than enjoyment, and if we dont I really dont care anymore...
I think that's you. Alot of people seem to still care and will be excited mainly because it looks more likely than its ever been. I'd be excited if he comes but I wouldn't care if he doesn't

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This might rule us out? We don't pay attention to deadlines. Don't trust our club at all when it comes to trying to strengthen.
The deadline was nonsense last summer. We never followed up our first bid and Zorc kept bringing up the deadline to keep Sancho’s transfer in the press but still nobody bit.

OmarUnited4ever

I can accept a maximum fee of 80m euros as reasonable, its a huge fee for a 21yo, and it might put Sancho on tremendous pressure to have an immediate impact on the team, anything above 80m euros is too much, the 80m euros itself depends on if the club can afford such a fee, so I won't be shocked if we go for other targets like a CF or DM or CB and go with Greenwood & Amad as our RW options for next season

laughtersassassin

The deadline was nonsense last summer. We never followed up our first bid and Zorc kept bringing up the deadline to keep Sancho’s transfer in the press but still nobody bit.
Shame we didn't. May have been a lot of money but might have been enough to close the gap to city.

Dan_F

Would he even want to play on the right any more? I feel like most right footed forwards want to play on the left to get more goals.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We were fully right to not go for him, the deal Dortmund offered was a pisstake and they were rightly told to feck off with it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

There is no deadline. Zorc would have sold if the right offer came at the 11th hour for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think, Chelsea will also be in for him. I just hope we understand the threat and go in early.

Status
Not open for further replies.