Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This makes sense, but I don't think Martial will be here for long.

Anyway, quick question, isn't Sancho more of a LW?
Sancho can (and does) play on both wings. Having Sancho in the squad therefore would enable both rotation of the players as well as tactical decisions where you play him. There could be games were Sancho plays on the left with Greenwood on the right and Cavani up front, you could also give Cavani a rest, move Greenwood to the center and play Sancho on the right.

RkkMan

Something people seem to forget is Rashford is likely to have a surgery on his shoulder in the off season which will no doubt sideline him for a month or two if we're lucky. We'll go back to playing Dan James on the LW or using Pogba on the LW again but at the expense of sacrificing creativity in our deep lying midfield. Sancho being able to play on both wings equally as well will help massively to fill Rashford's gap in the team

jackal&hyde

It wouldn’t shock me if we moved Martial on to leave us with:

LW options
Rashford
Pogba

ST options
Cavani
Greenwood

RW options
Sancho
Amad

James in backup rotation (or Pogba back to CM).
That's very weak imo if we are to fight for the title and Europe. You have one player with extremely little experience at pro level let alone having to be relied upon and a striker back up that even the manager said is not ready.

Sancho or not, Martial will be key next season in rotation with Cavani and, Rashford, Greenwood and hopefully Sancho will split the 2 wide spots with slow and controlled integration of Amad.

I think we will get a DM and move to a mid 3 with Pogba on the left and Bruno on the right.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Do people even watch us when Greenwood plays ST. Invisible and overwhelmed by the CBs. We are losing 2-0 and Martial or Cavani is playing poorly at ST nobody here will say let's sub him for Greenwood when we could bring on Martial or Cavani. Next season Greenwood would be behind Sancho at RW and Cavani and Martial at ST.

laughtersassassin

I wouldn't worry about Masons minutes tbh. He is ahead of Martial in the pecking order by now.

I reckon we will be seeing a lot of different front 3s next season. Also remember Cavani basically can't play two games in a row.

Greenwood will get Minutes up front and on the right.

Sancho on the right and on the left and maybe a few at number 10 to rest Bruno.

Rashford mostly from the left.

Pogba from the left and CM. I think if we get Rice we will see him in CM a lot more again but hopefully more as a left sided number 8

And that leaves Martial to fight for his minutes.

It's a hell of a lot of options but it's good to have. Obviously still have James and Amad as well. Injuries would really be deciding factor in their contribution.

I'd be fine with letting James go to bolster the budget.

Hackman2210

I would love to see Utd do a Bayern to Dortmund and wait for Sanchos contract to wind down before picking him up for nothing. Man Utd need to get more transfer savvy, incorporate a bit of Moneyball into the transfer strategy. Garner and Linguard going on loan are the start of this process. Both have seen their value rocket on the back of good loan periods. Linguard could have been sold in Jan for less than £10mil now figures of £30mil have been mooted. Garner was a few million at best - now £10-20mil (not that i think we'll sell him). Realistically you have to think Solskjaer will want a settled squad for next season - so maybe Jones(free), Mata(free), Perreira (£8mil) Dalot (£20mil) Martial (£25mil), Linguard(£25mil), De gea out(£40mil). I think Pogba will resign a new deal with a possible get out clause. Bring Garner back, Amad gets more game time, loan Shoretire and Elanga. All of a sudden the squad looks solid again and you can add 1-3 players per season without being in a desperate position.
I would look at a young defensive mid - Darboe from Roma looks a great prospect. Or get in an older DM on a free until Garner matures and is ready for the step up.
As much as i love UTD i hate seeing us getting fleeced in the transfer market whether selling cheap or buying high. Settle the squad and buy value players in. Loan out the youngsters until we know exactly what they are capable of. Too many times we've sold players that have gone on the develop at other clubs.
Anyway rant over - looking forward to next season and glad that Ole has steadied the ship.
Oh yes - Sancho not unless we can get him in the £50mil range.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sancho can (and does) play on both wings. Having Sancho in the squad therefore would enable both rotation of the players as well as tactical decisions where you play him. There could be games were Sancho plays on the left with Greenwood on the right and Cavani up front, you could also give Cavani a rest, move Greenwood to the center and play Sancho on the right.
I just hope we don't end up in another "he prefers the left side" situation. Because we don't need another LW.
I'd rather buy RW who can play on the left rather than the other way around.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced about this guy (for the alleged price) . He has Depay vibes whenever I see his clips on YT. I really think we should get a proper winger, not a wide forward.
But I have never seen this guy live, is he really that good?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's very weak imo if we are to fight for the title and Europe. You have one player with extremely little experience at pro level let alone having to be relied upon and a striker back up that even the manager said is not ready.

Sancho or not, Martial will be key next season in rotation with Cavani and, Rashford, Greenwood and hopefully Sancho will split the 2 wide spots with slow and controlled integration of Amad.

I think we will get a DM and move to a mid 3 with Pogba on the left and Bruno on the right.
Yes but I have trialed this on a state of the art simulation researched by thousands of football experts using a photo realistic match engine with the highest level of technology, and united won the league.

Or you know... football manager... :D

Haha! You are probably right tbf maybe we do need Martial.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't worry about Masons minutes tbh. He is ahead of Martial in the pecking order by now.

I reckon we will be seeing a lot of different front 3s next season. Also remember Cavani basically can't play two games in a row.

Greenwood will get Minutes up front and on the right.

Sancho on the right and on the left and maybe a few at number 10 to rest Bruno.

Rashford mostly from the left.

Pogba from the left and CM. I think if we get Rice we will see him in CM a lot more again but hopefully more as a left sided number 8

And that leaves Martial to fight for his minutes.

It's a hell of a lot of options but it's good to have. Obviously still have James and Amad as well. Injuries would really be deciding factor in their contribution.

I'd be fine with letting James go to bolster the budget.
Based on what :lol:

Hoof the ball

People complain that City win the league because they've got first team quality on the bench to rotate yet they're reluctant to get Sancho because he could take Mason's minutes?

Nah. We need those kind of headaches in order to win the league. Having James deputise for Greenwood ain't going to do shit if Chelsea, City and Liverpool improve their star power and we don't.

Selection headaches are a necessity we need.

jackal&hyde

Some are doing the same they did with Pogba. The more a player is out, injured, sick, etc is like the worse he gets. The opposite of rose tinted glasses. We were al gutted when he got injured because he was just rediscovering his form. All is forgotten now and he is worth 10 mil :houllier:

cyberman

Do people even watch us when Greenwood plays ST. Invisible and overwhelmed by the CBs. We are losing 2-0 and Martial or Cavani is playing poorly at ST nobody here will say let's sub him for Greenwood when we could bring on Martial or Cavani. Next season Greenwood would be behind Sancho at RW and Cavani and Martial at ST.
Isnt that because Mason can play from the right and that measn we can keep our goalscorers on the pitch? You arent subbing off Cavani if James or Mata is on the pitch. Mason is one of the first on if we are looking for a goal tbf

laughtersassassin

I'm a massive Martial fan. Always have been. That said they have both had periods of terrible form this season.

Greenwoods form at this moment is better than anything Martial showed is all.

Also there is the fact that more should be expected of Martial these days. He ain't young anymore.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Isnt that because Mason can play from the right and that measn we can keep our goalscorers on the pitch? You arent subbing off Cavani if James or Mata is on the pitch. Mason is one of the first on if we are looking for a goal tbf
Yes I'm basically saying Mason is 3rd choice as our ST. Some are making him 2nd because of "old man" Cavani or Martial who they think should be sold

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm a massive Martial fan. Always have been. That said they have both had periods of terrible form this season.

Greenwoods form at this moment is better than anything Martial showed is all.

Also there is the fact that more should be expected of Martial these days. He ain't young anymore.
Are you talking about Greenwood's form at ST or at RW

pacifictheme

On the Dortmund sub they are talking about kicker (reliable for them) saying he may stay and extend his contract

red_de_pologne

Something people seem to forget is Rashford is likely to have a surgery on his shoulder in the off season which will no doubt sideline him for a month or two if we're lucky. We'll go back to playing Dan James on the LW or using Pogba on the LW again but at the expense of sacrificing creativity in our deep lying midfield. Sancho being able to play on both wings equally as well will help massively to fill Rashford's gap in the team
Pogba adds a lot to our creativity on LW, and he wants to play there. Frees up Bruno as well, no coincidence Cavani scored so many in the last few games Pogba was at LW.

Hackman2210

I like Pogba on the LW - he's happy there, I'm happy he's happy there, Oles happy that he's happy etc............ Works for all parties.

theklr

On the Dortmund sub they are talking about kicker (reliable for them) saying he may stay and extend his contract
I just cannot see that at all , after how heavy it seemed the failed transfer affected him last year, and the supposed gentlemens agreement he has with Dortmund.

Tarrou

I would love to see Utd do a Bayern to Dortmund and wait for Sanchos contract to wind down before picking him up for nothing. Man Utd need to get more transfer savvy, incorporate a bit of Moneyball into the transfer strategy. Garner and Linguard going on loan are the start of this process. Both have seen their value rocket on the back of good loan periods. Linguard could have been sold in Jan for less than £10mil now figures of £30mil have been mooted. Garner was a few million at best - now £10-20mil (not that i think we'll sell him). Realistically you have to think Solskjaer will want a settled squad for next season - so maybe Jones(free), Mata(free), Perreira (£8mil) Dalot (£20mil) Martial (£25mil), Linguard(£25mil), De gea out(£40mil). I think Pogba will resign a new deal with a possible get out clause. Bring Garner back, Amad gets more game time, loan Shoretire and Elanga. All of a sudden the squad looks solid again and you can add 1-3 players per season without being in a desperate position.
I would look at a young defensive mid - Darboe from Roma looks a great prospect. Or get in an older DM on a free until Garner matures and is ready for the step up.
As much as i love UTD i hate seeing us getting fleeced in the transfer market whether selling cheap or buying high. Settle the squad and buy value players in. Loan out the youngsters until we know exactly what they are capable of. Too many times we've sold players that have gone on the develop at other clubs.
Anyway rant over - looking forward to next season and glad that Ole has steadied the ship.
Can moneyball even work in football?

cyberman

Yes I'm basically saying Mason is 3rd choice as our ST. Some are making him 2nd because of "old man" Cavani or Martial who they think should be sold
But it could be argued hes only 3rd choice because he can play just as well out wide? Thats my point.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I just cannot see that at all , after how heavy it seemed the failed transfer affected him last year, and the supposed gentlemens agreement he has with Dortmund.
He never said anything about it in public, therefore no one knows who he thinks to be responsible for that failure last year. It could be that it went in a way that he has no issue with Dortmunds board and respects them for having this gentlemens agreement but sees the responsibility for that saga on Uniteds side - if that's true he might be inclined to stay at the club he feels respects him more. I don't really believe this, but as long as Sancho does not talk about this (and he probably is wise not to do so) it is possible.

no one is paying £40m for DDG or £20m for Dalot.

what players have we sold that have gone on and done well elsewhere? If we look at the post fergie era:

Lukaku and Di Maria both had appalling attitudes, and we got a decent price for them - zero regrets about selling them.

the only one might be Depay, and we had a sell on clause with him. He’s done ok, but nothing more than that.

cyberman

He doesn't play just as well on ST as he does on the right
We dont really know that since he has consistently been played out there though. Even Cavani took time to adapt to our play this season and he plays there every week.
He played well there v RBL, didnt play again for a long time. How can we judge?

Heardy

You're quoting 10-20m for Garner and 30m for Lingard and then expect us to be able to get Sancho for 50m? Madness.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We dont really know that since he has consistently been played out there though. Even Cavani took time to adapt to our play this season and he plays there every week.
He played well there v RBL, didnt play again for a long time. How can we judge?
I've seen enough to know that he isn't ready there. Its not about consistent game time, he doesn't have the necessary attributes to play there for now. Ole himself has said it and he has seen more than any of us. And in your previous reply you said he can play just as well at ST as he can play as he can play at RW which is going against what you're saying here about not really knowing if he can play ST

Judas

Open to offers
Some are doing the same they did with Pogba. The more a player is out, injured, sick, etc is like the worse he gets. The opposite of rose tinted glasses. We were al gutted when he got injured because he was just rediscovering his form. All is forgotten now and he is worth 10 mil :houllier:
Was he? Genuinely asking. I remember him playing well against City, but beyond that? I just struggle to remember his last few games before he was injured honestly.

jackal&hyde

Was he? Genuinely asking. I remember him playing well against City, but beyond that? I just struggle to remember his last few games before he was injured honestly.
It's the City game I remember most too. Was a very good all round CF performance and then momentum was lost with the injury.

ArjenIsM3

Was just watching some YouTube compilations of Sancho this year and what stands out is how ridiculously good Haaland is :lol:

Boavista

Aren't they cash poor at the moment? Most reports suggest they need money.
They've incurred significant losses because of the pandemic, but they were debt free before that. Most clubs have debts, so I don't think they're in as problematic a position as made out to be. As far as I know they've been quite risk averse since their near bankruptcy in the early 2000s, hence they've generally been reluctant to take on loans and spend more than they earn but this isn't a normal situation and they do have access to funding. They probably won't be able to buy players unless they sell others, but if Sancho actually wants to stay I doubt that's a problem, especially if they make top 4.

Lentwood

I’m not against signing Sancho but I do think Greenwood is as good, if not potentially better.

By luck or judgement, we’ve stumbled across two extremely good options on our flanks all of a sudden. Pogba with Shaw overlapping is absolutely lethal on the left. Greenwood able to go both ways with AWB safe as houses behind him looks the best option on the right.

For me, Rashford now doesn’t make our best XI. People won’t like that but I believe the two players I have mentioned are so much better technically. Therefore, if you throw Sancho into the mix, are you signing another player just to play in a squad rotation role?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’m not against signing Sancho but I do think Greenwood is as good, if not potentially better.

By luck or judgement, we’ve stumbled across two extremely good options on our flanks all of a sudden. Pogba with Shaw overlapping is absolutely lethal on the left. Greenwood able to go both ways with AWB safe as houses behind him looks the best option on the right.

For me, Rashford now doesn’t make our best XI. People won’t like that but I believe the two players I have mentioned are so much better technically. Therefore, if you throw Sancho into the mix, are you signing another player just to play in a squad rotation role?
This is the worry for most people against Sancho. If this happens I'm positive Ole will rotate Pogba in the left midfield role and double pivot. Rashford is too much of a favourite to become a squad option whether Pogba is better at the left or not

pascell

Different kinds of players who'll end up playing in different positions in a few years.

For me Greenwood isn't a RW and that won't be his position in the future but Sancho is a RW and will play there in the future. Greenwood for me hasn't got the skillset for a winger, he hasn't learnt how to take a man on 1vs1 whilst out on the wing and hasn't got that explosive pace to get past them, Sancho has but hasn't got the finishing ability like Greenwood. If he can master the art of movement learning from Cavani then he'll be absolutely deadly.

With how many games we play a season, Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani would all play plenty of games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Squad rotation is a key element of dominating many different competitions. Sancho would be rotated like all the other attackers.
I just look at City with Foden, Mahrez, Sterling, Torres, and Bernardo all rotating in and out and don't see why we can't do that with Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, and Pogba in the wide positions. Possibly even Martial.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is the worry for most people against Sancho. If this happens I'm positive Ole will rotate Pogba in the left midfield role and double pivot. Rashford is too much of a favourite to become a squad option whether Pogba is better at the left or not
I really can't wrap my head around this. When there is someone better than Rashford, that someone has to play instead of him. Do you want to win titles, or do you want to become a "let's have a good time" irrelevant club? It is worrying if this kind of mindset exists at arguably still the biggest club in England. United should be all about winning as many titles as possible, not about not upsetting some fan favourites by replacing them with someone better. That mindset is for clubs like Arsenal, not for the real elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.