Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

I think having one of the most dominant attacking wingbacks in Europe behind him helped immensely when he played on the right.

The season Hakimi left, he has looked way more effective on the left.
Hakimi played quite a lot at left back in Sancho's first full season, where Sancho predominately played on the right. Even on the left this season, Guerreiro is a big attacking threat and that helps Sancho and the team. Either way having a good attacking full back will always aid the winger on that side, when linking up play and creating chances.

AWB has improved offensively and is a better defender than Hakimi or Guerreiro but ultimately I think that may hamper whichever winger does play on that right side to some extent. I think AWB gets into the right positions enough that I'd like to hope it won't be a massive issue.

RkkMan

I mean they put a bid in it got rejected but never gave up on the transfer or went back in again... that is pretty crap IMO, which led to us scrambling for a winger on deadline day. So yeah, if you cannot afford something you dont wait around all summer in the hope that something will happen. You walk away and move on.

Liverpool did that with Jamal Lewis, got told a fee, didnt like it moved onto another target
City did that with Koulibaly, got told a fee, was too much and moved to Dias.

Chelsea are about to sign Lukaku? okay.. sure
Like I said we should have walked away earlier but deciding not to sign him was not a mistake in itself
I never said they're about to sign Lukaku but he's their top ST target and it's been reliably confirmed even by journalists close to Chelsea. Inter aren't in the best place financially if you've been in the know so they may be tempted by a big bid for Lukaku

Dve

I think this is probably what happens when you try and nitpick a post....
My op said hes played right for the majority of the time he’s been at Dortmund (mostly 18/19). I also acknowledged that this season he’s played on the left more. The two heat maps basically told the same story.

Also here’s two links providing different results on Sancho playing more on the right than left.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/346300/Show/Jadon-Sancho

https://www.footballcritic.com/jadon-sancho/player-positions/139847

Ultimately these sites are not fail proof, it’s best to ultimately use your own eyes and your own judgment.

Regardless, it’s clear the point centred around his suitability on the right which has been questioned on here quite a bit. Let’s not get sidetracked by the pedantic.
Looks to me that he´s often switching sides during matches, just the way Ole like our wingers to act. Still, highlights of his goals and assist this season suggests he creates more from the left. I am one of the few that sees Greenwood´s future as a right wing, and then Sancho being able to play on both sides gives Greenwood a better chance to get game time, which is good. Sancho would be an excellent signing, he would suit Ole´s way of playing just perfectly.

red thru&thru

Not sure what the issue is with Sancho playing on the left, as much as he plays on the right. This gives us great fluidity with all our attacking players. Heck, might even be able to play him in the 10 role and give Bruno a night off now and then.

Banana Republic

Ed hasn't gone yet. He's still there running the show, so is it going to be another late start before making any approach or even making offers?
Is it going to be another case of "Season's over. We'll deal with all that when I'm back from my summer holidays" ?
The MEN speculates that Woodward might want to make a legacy signing before he goes. I'm not confident about that.

We've no real idea how determined Ole and/or the CEO /board are to get certain players, if any, at this stage.
Is there a short list, or are definite players being targeted?
The season is coming to close across Europe. They should know by now who they want and should already be working hard on it, within the rules of course.
If they leave it too long, or even until after the Euros have finished, I think it'll be too late.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ed hasn't gone yet. He's still there running the show, so is it going to be another late start before making any approach or even making offers?
Is it going to be another case of "Season's over. We'll deal with all that when I'm back from my summer holidays" ?
The MEN speculates that Woodward might want to make a legacy signing before he goes. I'm not confident about that.

We've no real idea how determined Ole and/or the CEO /board are to get certain players, if any, at this stage.
Is there a short list, or are definite players being targeted?
The season is coming to close across Europe. They should know by now who they want and should already be working hard on it, within the rules of course.
If they leave it too long, or even until after the Euros have finished, I think it'll be too late.
We've had a structural change announced months ago, where John Murtough takes charge of the footballing side to liaise with Matt Judge on negotiations. I don't think Ed will be actively involved on the transfer side for this summer.

Banana Republic

We've had a structural change announced months ago, where John Murtough takes charge of the footballing side to liaise with Matt Judge on negotiations. I don't think Ed will be actively involved on the transfer side for this summer.
You are probably right that he might not be involved in the actual transfer negotiations, but those guys won't have the authorisation to make big money decisions without the CEO's input and final say.
They won't be able to go off on their own, without approval or an agreed strategy and Woodward will be responsible for that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You are probably right that he might not be involved in the actual transfer negotiations, but those guys won't have the authorisation to make big money decisions without the CEO's input and final say.
They won't be able to go off on their own, without approval or an agreed strategy and Woodward will be responsible for that.
The only person who can make things more efficient is Joel Glazer. It's been reported numerous times that without his say so nothing can be done.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not starting in what could be his final game for Dortmund.

With top four secured (Sancho playing a massive part of that) I guess the manager can give some minutes to fringe/young(er) players.

laughtersassassin

I couldn't find the match. Would be interesting to see his demeanor at the final whistle.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Hopefully that means we don't dither around and manage to wrap it up before the Euros
I don’t think any other side worries about United having a head start on a transfer.

City & Chelsea would have to back themselves to tidy up details pretty quickly. They’re both slick in That department.

WPMUFC

If the West Ham price for Rice is even close to true, makes Sancho for 80-90 million the bargain of the window.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The Kane distraction I feel has opened the door to us missing out on Sancho. Hopefully I am wrong

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His first assist today surely isn't counted as an assist? It was just a simple layoff and a great striker by their scorer :lol:
Bruno’s all seem to count. But I agree....there’s assists and there’s assists

Bondi77

Anyone watch the game and got the impression it was his last game at the club?

krentz

He's like Eden Hazard at Lille. People talk like hes a veteran but in truth hes only turned 21. Makes me sick to think City had 2 world class talents coming from their academy. Hopefully we dont make same mistake as we did with Hazard, letting this world class talent slip out of our hand for some petty sum of money.

FreddieTheReddie

Anyone watch the game and got the impression it was his last game at the club?
Couldnt watch but he only played 30 minutes, I heard he wasn’t very good. They said goodbye to Piszczek before the game and I saw Sancho talking to his mate next to him while Piszczek was speaking. I wanted to believe he’s saying ‘yes, this is probably my last game too, Woodward arrived with a bag of cash today’ but maybe not exactly the same words. And they posted a photo after the game, Haaland, Bellingham, Meunier, Akanji on it and Sancho and Piszczek in the middle, hopefully because they were both saying goodbye.

Redlyn

His first assist today surely isn't counted as an assist? It was just a simple layoff and a great striker by their scorer :lol:
19 G/A in 26 la Liga games. Less than last season's 33 GA in 32 .

They all count. It's the volume that makes a player stand out. If you have the volume then surely you are doing something right, even if it as simple as always being at the right place at the right time to score or supply the simple lay off.

It's not of much value to look at any individual goal or assist.

laughtersassassin

Thought he was 23 or so.

Brilliant player, must do everything to get him this time.
It's mad how much he was done with his career at such a young age.

His quality and age make it really hard to argue he isn't worth major money.

For comparison

Sancho is 21 - Born March 25 2000
Foden is 20 - Born May 28 2000 - So 21 in just a few days. Barely any younger than Sancho.
Greenwood is 19 - October 1 2001

Like when Pogba left us to go to Juve, Sancho leaving City to go to Dortmund allowed him to really advance his personal career.

He is a much more experienced player than the others because if it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Possibly why we are seeing the links to Coman today, keep the pressure on BvB and maybe Sancho if he’s asking too much

laughtersassassin

Possibly why we are seeing the links to Coman today, keep the pressure on BvB and maybe Sancho if he’s asking too much
Fairly sure we've had Coman links every year for like the last 3-4 years.

We where so poor last summer at getting our main targets that hopefully Ole won't tolerate it again this season.

ShinjiNinja26

Nah there’s been a few reports saying Sancho’s personal terms aren’t an issue and they were all agreed last summer. It was agreeing a fee with Dortmund that was the problem but with them now willing to lower the asking price a bit hopefully that won’t be to much of an issue this time round and once a price everyone is happy with is met then it should be plain sailing from there on in.

Rolaholic

Nah there’s been a few reports saying Sancho’s personal terms aren’t an issue and they were all agreed last summer. It was agreeing a fee with Dortmund that was the problem but with them now willing to lower the asking price a bit hopefully that won’t be to much of an issue this time round and once a price everyone is happy with is met then it should be plain sailing from there on in.
Yea everything that's been reported this week mentions that all that's left is agreeing a fee with the club, personal terms/salary and all of that were already ironed out with his reps last summer.

LuckyScout78

Definitely not 100 mill euro. Max 90 mill euro. 80 - Max 90 mill euro plus add on is the right price.

Some factor is. There are more really good and realistic RW or wide players out there this summer.

Like I didn’t knew Raphinha until Leeds bought them. Then what a football artist he is. Not a excellent but a very good debut and first season for Raphinha this year.

Then we have the upcoming Georgia Rubin/shining Diamond from Rubin. Kvicha - Transfer value just raised from 5 to 15 mill euro lately.

And we have Antony from Ajax.

And a few more. But if I am Sancho agent and try to get the best price and deal out of him.
Then i can promise you. You are getting the best close dribbler in the world. Dribbling and close control. I mean two feet dribbler. Not world best one foot dribbler in Messi. There you have. Full ball control on top speed and dribbling. It means they are super creative. Plus Sancho can score plus minus 10 goals a season.

So sum up 80 - 90 mill euro are not too high. Even Raphinha currently value at 25 mill euro. But Raphinha. Like Messi, Robben and Mahrez more one foot dribbler. The left magic foot. Compare to Sancho who are more two feets. Like Kvicha from Rubin and Georgia. Definitely different type of player. But still both of those two category are wide players. Best on the wide side. Where they are meant to beat players. Clearly best dribblers in the team. The wingers.

So again. I will not say no to having Sancho in the team. But if Dortmund want the same price as last season. From a buyer point of view. I might look at alternative. Ask about the price of others alternatives.
Raphinha from Leeds and Kvicha from Georgia are the real deal too. Upcoming really good football players.

Raphinha 25 mill euro + Kvicha 15 mill euro = 40 mill euro + 10 extra = 50 = half of Sancho

Line those two up in United 442 :

Raphinha/Diallo - Bruno - McTom - Kvicha/Rashford + Greenwood - Kane

There you have. The alternative. Double covered on the wings. Without Sancho. I would be satisfy too. It depends on the quality of your teammates too. Raphinha and Bruno link will be good.

It can be a factor to lower the price of Sancho down. If Sancho is only one top winger and wide player out there in the market. Naturally the price will be really high and expensive. But opposite, if there are many really good wide players options. More to choose from. Then from the buyer point of view. The price will be different.

So that are mine personally point of view of this situation and thread. Everything factors do play they part.

Definitely not 100 mill euro. Max 90 mill euro. 80 - Max 90 mill euro plus add on is the right price.

Some factor is. There are more really good and realistic RW or wide players out there this summer.

Like I didn’t knew Raphinha until Leeds bought them. Then what a football artist he is. Not a excellent but a very good debut and first season for Raphinha this year.

Then we have the upcoming Georgia Rubin/shining Diamond from Rubin. Kvicha - Transfer value just raised from 5 to 15 mill euro lately.

And a few more. But if I am Sancho agent and try to get the best price and deal out of him.
Then i can promise you. You are getting the best close dribbler in the world. Dribbling and close control. I mean two feet dribbler. Not world best one foot dribbler in Messi. There you have. Full ball control on top speed and dribbling. It means they are super creative. Plus Sancho can score plus minus 10 goals a season.

So sum up 80 - 90 mill euro are not too high. Even Raphinha currently value at 25 mill euro. But Raphinha. Like Messi, Robben and Mahrez more one foot dribbler. The left magic foot. Compare to Sancho who are more two feets. Like Kvicha from Rubin and Georgia. Definitely different type of player. But still both of those two category are wide players. Best on the wide side. Where they are meant to beat players. Clearly best dribblers in the team. The wingers.

So again. I will not say no to having Sancho in the team. But if Dortmund want the same price as last season. From a buyer point of view. I might look at alternative. Ask about the price of others alternatives.
Raphinha from Leeds and Kvicha from Georgia are the real deal too. Upcoming really good football players.

Raphinha 25 mill euro + Kvicha 15 mill euro = 40 mill euro + 10 extra = 50 = half of Sancho

There you have. The alternative. Double covered on the wings. Without Sancho. I would be satisfy too. It depends on the quality of your teammates too. Raphinha and Bruno link will be good.

It can be a factor to lower the price of Sancho down. If Sancho is only one top winger and wide player out there in the market. Naturally the price will be really high and expensive. But opposite, if there are many really good wide players options. More to choose from. Then from the buyer point of view. The price will be different.

So that are mine personally point of view of this situation and thread. Everything factors do play they part.
in what world would Leeds be selling one of their best players for £25m - let alone selling him to Man Utd.

roseguy64

Yeah the only thing we should be doing now is maybe trying to knock a few million off the price and negotiating payment structure that favours us.

Tallis

Looks like Pulisic is fast running out of favour with Chelsea. There is a possibility that they pursue Sancho this summer. We should try to get this done soon and not haggle for €5m.

Redcy

Looks like Pulisic is fast running out of favour with Chelsea. There is a possibility that they pursue Sancho this summer. We should try to get this done soon and not haggle for €5m.
Not been here long huh? Long drawn out sagas are kind of a United things now.

ForeverRed1

stopped reading a raphinha 25mil euros. Not a chance.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I still wonder if Bale for a season would be good while Amad etc. develop. He quietly scored 11 goals in his 900 odd minutes in the league this season.

Gordon S

Your post is mildly confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.