Is Jim Ratcliffe still interested in buying Manchester United? Yes

Bert_

Or maybe it's just a shit deal

Why sell something that's worth 5bn and yield 20-30M / annum for 5bn? In times of recession looming?

They could have enjoyed the ride 5 more years, or 10, or even 20 and the price of the club would only continue to soar. I predict 10 years from now We'll be hitting 8bn easily based on inflation of prices alone.

It's not like they'll go bankrupt if they don't sell or in any hurry to sell, the dire position that they're in is only naration from the fans. They're a long way to go from panick mode.

Maybe that's why they're a billionaire and we're all just football fans.
Maybe they need/want the cash now? Never been great with liquidity that family.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
thats pretty standard benchmarking to be honest

especially when you hold all the cards
Yep, agreed. Seller totally over values what's for sale and the purchaser under values it. It's pretty basic stuff.

Like most other people I haven't a clue what's going on, if anything, but if this 9bn figure actually has been mentioned by the Glazers then it's the first movement from their cast iron 'it's definitely not for sale' stance they've held since the day daddy bought the club. It's an extremely high figure but it's not in the ludicrous area like 1bn release fees for players and they haven't said $10bn cash in used oncers and a white unicorn for each of the family.

If, and it's a big IF, this is true then just maybe there is a bit of hope.

Gordon Godot

Yep, agreed. Seller totally over values what's for sale and the purchaser under values it. It's pretty basic stuff.

Like most other people I haven't a clue what's going on, if anything, but if this 9bn figure actually has been mentioned by the Glazers then it's the first movement from their cast iron 'it's definitely not for sale' stance they've held since the day daddy bought the club. It's an extremely high figure but it's not in the ludicrous area like 1bn release fees for players and they haven't said $10bn cash in used oncers and a white unicorn for each of the family.

If, and it's a big IF, this is true then just maybe there is a bit of hope.
Chelsea I think went for $3bn, the highest sum to date for a sports team. No way on earth United goes for $9bn or anything close to that. Current market environment and economic outlook also factors

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Chelsea I think went for $3bn, the highest sum to date for a sports team. No way on earth United goes for $9bn or anything close to that. Current market environment and economic outlook also factors
Of course it won't but you've missed the whole point about basic negotiation tactics.

arthurka

I found this interview a clear indicator that he is putting pressure on the Glazers, he knows that all of us want them out and most of us would look at him as the holy spirit and savior. It´s a tactical response and this guy knows very well what he is doing.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Who are you?
That bloke you got the restraining order against. The one who wouldn't stop trying to peer through your living room window. I'm outside right now, pouring liquified dog faeces through your letterbox to punish you for forgetting me

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I found this interview a clear indicator that he is putting pressure on the Glazers, he knows that all of us want them out and most of us would look at him as the holy spirit and savior. It´s a tactical response and this guy knows very well what he is doing.
The Glazers stood by green and gold, years of people wanting their ass out, and somehow Radcliffe tweet would make them shiver....I think he's just saying a nice thing in order not to be humiliated with his mini bids.

There is no way in hell a billionaire looking for hostile take over doesn't know the valuation and what's a reasonable offer, not if he's serious about it.

Coops73

The Glazers stood by green and gold, years of people wanting their ass out, and somehow Radcliffe tweet would make them shiver....I think he's just saying a nice thing in order not to be humiliated with his mini bids.

There is no way in hell a billionaire looking for hostile take over doesn't know the valuation and what's a reasonable offer, not if he's serious about it.
What has he tweeted? I’m not on twitter and can’t find anything in here.

arthurka

No but I don't see the Glazers funding all the infrastructure that needs attention. The timing for them to sell is pretty much there. Just my take on it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Too big to be bought unfortunately. We’re stuck with the parasites for the foreseeable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ugh, we're about to become the noisy neighbors. Depressing shit

Spoony

The People's President
A financial expert on a fans' channels did say United'd cost £8-9 billion. I didn't believe him...but it's probably nearer the truth.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
But we will always have the Moral High Ground and Top Red trophies to adorn our cabinet with.

AndySmith1990

We generate enough revenue and spend more than enough to compete with anyone. We don't need to become a billionaures project to be a lot better than we currently are.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
A financial expert on a fans' channels did say United'd cost £8-9 billion. I didn't believe him...but it's probably nearer the truth.
Based on what would we be valued at 9 bil? Seems about 35-40% inflated.

Gandalf

Based on what would we be valued at 9 bil? Seems about 35-40% inflated.
Because we are publicly listed the actual value of the club can be quantified pretty precisely on any given day based on the share price. The obstacle to a takeover is of course that the majority of shares are in the hands of the Glazers so a hostile takeover is not really on the cards and it comes down to how much over the actual market value would you have to pay to get them to sell their cash cow. Realistically even those that can afford it won't be inclined to pay over the odds it is only likely to be a Sovereign Wealth fund who are not primarily motivated by profit and frankly even those are drying up now that the Saudis have Newcastle. Our best hope would remain that the silent members of the Glazer family who don't care about ownership put pressure on Avram and Joel to sell because they want to cash out but even then the brothers would probably just get financing secured against the club to buy out their relatives, I remain convinced we are stuck with the buggers for eternity.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Because we are publicly listed the actual value of the club can be quantified pretty precisely on any given day based on the share price. The obstacle to a takeover is of course that the majority of shares are in the hands of the Glazers so a hostile takeover is not really on the cards and it comes down to how much over the actual market value would you have to pay to get them to sell their cash cow. Realistically even those that can afford it won't be inclined to pay over the odds it is only likely to be a Sovereign Wealth fund who are not primarily motivated by profit and frankly even those are drying up now that the Saudis have Newcastle. Our best hope would remain that the silent members of the Glazer family who don't care about ownership put pressure on Avram and Joel to sell because they want to cash out but even then the brothers would probably just get financing secured against the club to buy out their relatives, I remain convinced we are stuck with the buggers for eternity.
The thing is, based on the stock the valuation seems nowhere near the previously quoted 8/9B:

Market Cap
$2.18B
Total Debt
$779.73M
Cash
$147.56M
Other
-
Enterprise Value
$2.81B

as per seekingalpha.com

Now, the stock price dropped around 40% after Covid hit so before then it was probably around 4-4,5B. But as you’ve rightly pointed out you’re not gonna be able to log onto robinhood.com and buy all Man Utd stock at once and become owner of the club, you’d need to broker a complex deal with the Glazer family and they’d probably put a much higher prize tag to the club.

So as you’ve already alluded to, you can’t really tell the value of the club based on the daily share prize. The closest and most quoted guesstimate is done by Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/?sh=69e1657113f9

No idea where the figure of 8/9B would fit into this.

Steve Bruce

The thing is, based on the stock the valuation seems nowhere near the previously quoted 8/9B:

Market Cap
$2.18B
Total Debt
$779.73M
Cash
$147.56M
Other
-
Enterprise Value
$2.81B

as per seekingalpha.com

Now, the stock price dropped around 40% after Covid hit so before then it was probably around 4-4,5B. But as you’ve rightly pointed out you’re not gonna be able to log onto robinhood.com and buy all Man Utd stock at once and become owner of the club, you’d need to broker a complex deal with the Glazer family and they’d probably put a much higher prize tag to the club.

So as you’ve already alluded to, you can’t really tell the value of the club based on the daily share prize. The closest and most quoted guesstimate is done by Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/?sh=69e1657113f9

No idea where the figure of 8/9B would fit into this.
It came from the myth that Chelsea cost 4.2b when in fact it was 2.5b with 1.7b investment to go into the club over the next 10 years. You still get Sky and Talksport etc quoted 4.2 or 4.5b and they are using that figure to come up with an uneducated guess of 8/9b.

If United where to be sold by the Glaziers tomorrow it would probably be for around 3.5b plus the debt so around the 4b mark which is still inflated but I'm not talking value, I'm guessing what it would take for the Glazers to sell. 2 very different things

Strootman's Finger

There are apparently ongoing negotiations between the Glazers and a number of American investment firms, just everyone involved has signed NDAs so it's not being talked about.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There are apparently ongoing negotiations between the Glazers and a number of American investment firms, just everyone involved has signed NDAs so it's not being talked about.
Yet you know? Fancy that.

Gandalf

I believe that was in relation to bringing in investment and not with a view to selling their controlling stake. The more reputable sources have been quite consistent in saying that the Glazers are not looking to sell unless someone blows them away with an offer well above the actual value. I do not think an investment firm would buy anything for more than it is worth and honestly I don't see any bidders out there who would. The Saudis might have but then I would have had to find a new club to support anyway so I am not too broken up about that. Ratcliffe is an attention seeking spoofer who would run a mile if the Glazers called his bluff.

CtRafidah

Glad to see this thread still alive. WIN , LOSE, DRAW. The yanks need to go. You can have depth of squad as deep as the mariana trench, endless funds , god like coaches etc BUT if the top management is still rotten to the core, the poison will creep back in every time, the cancer will grow terminal at every turn.

I like how arsenal have turned a corner. I don't think its the individual quality, the money NOR the coach (not saying all that doesn't play a hand, it is and credit to them) but the most impact they are reaping is from are STABLE, understanding owners. You start from the top and the effect trickles down all the way to the squad.