Is Jim Ratcliffe still interested in buying Manchester United? Yes

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The assumption the Glazers must want to sell because we want them to needs scrutiny
Thats never been the assumption. Its well reported that the family want to sell but Joel doesn’t and its Joel that holds the power here.

Its also well reported that the club needs significant investment for things the Glazers simple no longer can ignore and borrowing more in this climate against the club isn’t financially feasible.

So they will need to raise funds, hence rumours of selling a percentage of their ownership. Whilst most of the family prefers to sell the whole club.

Gordon Godot

Thats never been the assumption. Its well reported that the family want to sell but Joel doesn’t and its Joel that holds the power here.

Its also well reported that the club needs significant investment for things the Glazers simple no longer can ignore and borrowing more in this climate against the club isn’t financially feasible.

So they will need to raise funds, hence rumours of selling a percentage of their ownership. Whilst most of the family prefers to sell the whole club.
I think the latter bit is not true. The problem is there are 6 owners and a majority dont want to lose control. I think stake sales have been floated but not control. Radcliffe only interested in control, he went to meet them and it was clear control was not on offer. So sadly that ship has now sailed and expect him to buy another Premier league club. Our lifeline has gone. To me this is utterly depressing as the best chance of genuinely committed ownership who would run the club as a football club and community asset has gone. I dont see the current situation changing now for many years.

Cassidy

I think the latter bit is not true. The problem is there are 6 owners and a majority dont want to lose control. I think stake sales have been floated but not control. Radcliffe only interested in control, he went to meet them and it was clear control was not on offer. So sadly that ship has now sailed and expect him to buy another Premier league club. Our lifeline has gone. To me this is utterly depressing as the best chance of genuinely committed ownership who would run the club as a football club and community asset has gone. I dont see the current situation changing now for many years.
Reportedly its not the majority of the family is Joel only.
The other part is that they need to raise funds so they will likely sell a percentage at least soon which opens the door to future sale. Jim is not the only interested buyer either

wolvored

Maybe Ratcliffe should have met the 4 that have no interest in Utd first and offered them say $7/800 mill apiece and hopefully gained 2/3 of the club. Then immediately stopped any payments or dividends coming out the club. The other 2 would soon sell up once no financial gain could be had.

Gordon Godot

The other part is that they need to raise funds so they will likely sell a percentage at least soon which opens the door to future sale. Jim is not the only interested buyer either
The ownership is split between the 6 children, so nothing to stop several of them selling. I may be wrong but as I understand it a majority dont want to sell. Yes they may sell a stake but that changes nothing in terms of how the club is run. Strictly that money would go to the shareholders, not the club, so it remains to be seen how the club benefits if at all. There may be buyers for a stake but none have clearly come forward and given the valuation its not really compelling. Radcliffe was a genuine fan who would run the club to succeed and entertain. If and when the club is sold (dont think this will be for several years now if at all) then who know what kind of buyer it would be. Sad days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fascinating that I'm getting abuse for being correct. Maybe smug was the wrong word... perhaps justified in my views would have been better way to express it.

My point was, people were getting very giddy despite there being not one but of evidence that the Glazers would sell the club.
No one really expected them to suddenly sell. It was pure hope.

Big Andy

Bloke
Fascinating that I'm getting abuse for being correct. Maybe smug was the wrong word... perhaps justified in my views would have been better way to express it.

My point was, people were getting very giddy despite there being not one but of evidence that the Glazers would sell the club.
Smug cnut.

Gordon Godot

No one really expected them to suddenly sell. It was pure hope.
Not sure about that. GIven the mess the club is in, the desperate need for funds for stadium and training overhaul, they might have been prepared to sell. Radcliffe would have written a very big cheque. Mixture of excessive greed and stupidity now driving their decisions. Also no agreement between 6 siblings makes it very difficult to negotiate.

Barthez

Absolutely despise our owners. Looks like we are stuck with them unfortunately.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Club needs investment by the turn of the year so I'd love to know what their plan is.

Green Arrow

The below quote is from Jacque Talbot, I can't paste in tweets so I copied the text but you can go to his twitter and check this. Mods if I need to remove this let me know please.

"Jim Ratcliffe, presiding CEO of a company which employs 30,000, does not do interviews with national papers for the sake of it. This is calculated message, simultaneously playing down his stance and whipping up a frenzy. He wants Man United and firmly believes there’s a way in."

Last edited:

RopersReturn

To give some insight into how ridiculous the Glazers are behaving, they’ve allegedly now slapped a £9bn price tag on the club, dwarfing the price set when the Denver Broncos were sold for a record £4.2bn earlier this year.

lsd

The Oracle
Doesn't sound promising at all. Can't see any chance of the Glazers ever selling

RopersReturn

It’s all down to Joel who allegedly doesn’t want to let go, the rest of the family are more enthusiastic to accept an offer.

USREDEVIL

Apologies but has Sir Radcliffe articulated his plans in any meaningful way. I've searched but with all of the crazy English media websites it's hard to actually get the info. Too many paywalls and crazy websites,.

clarkydaz

Apologies but has Sir Radcliffe articulated his plans in any meaningful way. I've searched but with all of the crazy English media websites it's hard to actually get the info. Too many paywalls and crazy websites,.
Plans for what? doesnt mean anything if they refuse to sell

stw2022

It’s all down to Joel who allegedly doesn’t want to let go, the rest of the family are more enthusiastic to accept an offer.
Based on what?

Sorry but the Glazers don't communicate stuff like this. To anyone. They don't even tell their bumholes how many shits a day they have. These huge assumptions that the other members want to sell is literally an invention someone else has made up because they want it to be true.

Cassidy

Based on what?

Sorry but the Glazers don't communicate stuff like this. To anyone. They don't even tell their bumholes how many shits a day they have. These huge assumptions that the other members want to sell is literally an invention someone else has made up because they want it to be true.
Its actually well reported that only Joel and Avram have interest in the club.
The others have wanted to sell since Malcom passed

Strootman's Finger

Selling a percentage doesn't mean they're gearing up to sell, it means they need some immediate money, because they are bedding in and going nowhere. It's the worst possible outcome right now.

Cassidy

Selling a percentage doesn't mean they're gearing up to sell, it means they need some immediate money, because they are bedding in and going nowhere. It's the worst possible outcome right now.
No they need money because they can’t borrow anymore and the club needs investment. This means they will have to give up some control. Nowhere have I said it means they want to sell.

What I have said is some of them want to sell, whilst Joel does not or has not wanted to so far.

Regardless they are not geared up to seriously invest in the club and they can’t go to their usual of borrowing / raising through debt because the markets are not favourable and the clubs financials are not in a good position to do so.

Having an investor and giving up a percentage of control means you can’t actually just do what you want when you want (even if you have a majority)

Cassidy

Did people really think he was going to come out in public and say yes I'm buying United, a company that's being traded on the NYSE...
Whether the club is for sale or not, we were never going to hear its for sale from him then.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They need to get some major cash injection if they want to stick around. Debt levels rising and stadium development way overdue. If there's a major halt in spending on the squad then of course we'll be less and less competitive (though of course hiring the right people in positions of authority would mitigate that enormously).

I can't imagine they'll carry on with the same percentage of ownership. If they start leveraging the club further (a la Barca) I can see the fans making things ugly for them.

wolvored

To give some insight into how ridiculous the Glazers are behaving, they’ve allegedly now slapped a £9bn price tag on the club, dwarfing the price set when the Denver Broncos were sold for a record £4.2bn earlier this year.
The fact they have put a value on the club could indicate they want or need to sell. They are going to try and get as much as possible and will over value it. Its like you had a product/item you value at 50 quid and someone wants to buy it and asks how much you want. You dont say 50 quid you would probably say 70 maybe 80 quid and see how much you could get the price up

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The fact they have put a value on the club could indicate they want or need to sell. They are going to try and get as much as possible and will over value it. Its like you had a product/item you value at 50 quid and someone wants to buy it and asks how much you want. You dont say 50 quid you would probably say 70 maybe 80 quid and see how much you could get the price up
I think on the contrary, if you're serious about wanting to sell, you don't put a 9bn price tag on something that's worth 4-5bn at best.

Bert_

Pure speculation but maybe a few of the offspring want to cash out but because their shares in the company are via Red Football Ltd which isn't a PLC, the company charter for the Ltd might prevent them from selling any stake without board approval. So basically unless the majority of the board members of Red Football Ltd (i.e. Malcom's kids) agree then they are stuck.

Maybe a few of them want to cash out. Hence the recent speculation about "a stake" in the club being up for sale rather than full ownership. The buyer might be able to buy out couple of family members but on conditions that they are limited to their shares only and not have any ambition to increase their stake or to threaten Joel's position as chairman/co-chair of whatever the feck he titles himself.

Coops73

I think on the contrary, if you're serious about wanting to sell, you don't put a 9bn price tag on something that's worth 4-5bn at best.
I haven’t searched the interweb but I’ve only seen this 9-10bn quote from the daily star, so there is that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pure speculation but maybe a few of the offspring want to cash out but because their shares in the company are via Red Football Ltd which isn't a PLC, the company charter for the Ltd might prevent them from selling any stake without board approval. So basically unless the majority of the board members of Red Football Ltd (i.e. Malcom's kids) agree then they are stuck.

Maybe a few of them want to cash out. Hence the recent speculation about "a stake" in the club being up for sale rather than full ownership. The buyer might be able to buy out couple of family members but on conditions that they are limited to their shares only and not have any ambition to increase their stake or to threaten Joel's position as chairman/co-chair of whatever the feck he titles himself.
Or maybe it's just a shit deal

Why sell something that's worth 5bn and yield 20-30M / annum for 5bn? In times of recession looming?

They could have enjoyed the ride 5 more years, or 10, or even 20 and the price of the club would only continue to soar. I predict 10 years from now We'll be hitting 8bn easily based on inflation of prices alone.

It's not like they'll go bankrupt if they don't sell or in any hurry to sell, the dire position that they're in is only naration from the fans. They're a long way to go from panick mode.

Maybe that's why they're a billionaire and we're all just football fans.

Tarrou

thats pretty standard benchmarking to be honest

especially when you hold all the cards

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some on here clearly have a Lord Sugar complex, asking for business plan and all to be submitted by X date and be Y pages.