Is Lukaku forcing his way into first team consideration when we are back to full strength?

UnitedChampionsAgain

Has to play. Knows how to hit the back of the net better than anyone in the squad. This is only a glimpse of what he can do yet he's scored 6 in the last 3.

reddaz71

If Utd are offered Icardi for Lukaku then thats a serious temptation, Icardi would be a better fit tbh given his pace, technique and consistency in front of goal, Lukaku for all his terrific recent form is still a level below.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His current form is not sustainable, I feel. Saying that. That front four of Tony, Rom, Lingard and Rashford will see lots of games.
People forget just how good Martial, Lingard and Rashford were as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His current form is not sustainable, I feel. Saying that. That front four of Tony, Rom, Lingard and Rashford will see lots of games.
People forget just how good Martial, Lingard and Rashford were as well.
I'd rather see Lukaku in the team ahead of the other 2 if I were to choose one of the 3.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If Utd are offered Icardi for Lukaku then thats a serious temptation, Icardi would be a better fit tbh given his pace, technique and consistency in front of goal, Lukaku for all his terrific recent form is still a level below.
Posts like this are beginning to irritate me.

Lukaku is clearly responding to the challenge and is a good forward.Furthermore, he is showing himself as someone who wants to play for the shirt,the fans the team...so let's discard him eh?

Icardi looks a great player but the guy has an attitude problem. What we don't need is another Tevez.

He's perfect for Jose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd rather see Lukaku in the team ahead of the other 2 if I were to choose one of the 3.
As Ole has mentioned on more than one occasion, Martial's ability to occupy defences from wide positions is unique among the four and he's arguably the best in on on one situations. Although I think no one has a fixed spot, I'd say he and Rashford are the more likely to always be picked.
I feel Lukaku has to keep scoring to guarantee his place, something I feel he can't do. The other three don't imo.

sherrinford

Posts like this are beginning to irritate me.

Lukaku is clearly responding to the challenge and is a good forward.Furthermore, he is showing himself as someone who wants to play for the shirt,the fans the team...so let's discard him eh?

Icardi looks a great player but the guy has an attitude problem. What we don't need is another Tevez.

He's perfect for Jose.
Lukaku is a good forward, but he’s not Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie or Rooney. He is not going to continue scoring two goals a game, though I’ve no doubt he will score more than his fair share. His general play will never be top drawer. Is he the player you want to see leading the line for the next 5 years?

I’m certainly not going to say that Lukaku needs to be sold and I don’t think the poster was saying that either, but we have a reasonably expensive asset on our hands who might not be first choice, potentially could be improved on and who would interest other sides.

What exactly is Icardi’s problem? And what was wrong with Tevez’s attitude?

Cockney Phil

Lukaku is an enigma. No ball control, great positioning, average passing, good assists, huge bod, weak physically, and a deft goalscorer. The oppos defender used to use him to start counters but since his move into the goal poaching area they are totally unsettled. When he’s bad he doesn’t score when he’s average his game is poor and he knicks a goal, but when he’s on top of his game his play is utter tripe but he scores several goals. The oppos defender used to use him to start counters but since his move into the goal poaching area they are totally unsettled. Only MUFC could end up with a player like that - now we understand him he has to stay.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As Ole has mentioned on more than one occasion, Martial's ability to occupy defences from wide positions is unique among the four and he's arguably the best in on on one situations. Although I think no one has a fixed spot, I'd say he and Rashford are the more likely to always be picked.
I feel Lukaku has to keep scoring to guarantee his place, something I feel he can't do. The other three don't imo.
Going by what Lukaku mentioned after PSG in an interview, Ole always seemed to have a plan with him. Lukaku was given a seperate training regime to get back to his true level and its showing. I strongly doubt Ole will not continue to start the best finisher he has, moreover Lukaku has that natural nack of being in the right position to score which Martial still doesn't as yet.

It's a tricky one and a great problem to have. Given there's a right wing spot still active I'm sure all 3 of Lukaku lingard and Martial will get gametime. I just don't see Lukaku being dropped when both are fit now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lukaku is a good forward, but he’s not Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie or Rooney. He is not going to continue scoring two goals a game, though I’ve no doubt he will score more than his fair share. His general play will never be top drawer. Is he the player you want to see leading the line for the next 5 years?

I’m certainly not going to say that Lukaku needs to be sold and I don’t think the poster was saying that either, but we have a reasonably expensive asset on our hands who might not be first choice, potentially could be improved on and who would interest other sides.

3 absolutely outstanding footballers;one a club legend. We can judge him by those standards but he's only 25 and has a lot of goals left in him yet. Already ahead of some great strikers in the PL goalscorers table.

Icardi has seriously thrown his toys out of the pram after the captaincy was given to someone else, threatened not to play etc. Usual hissy fits from a prima donna footballer.

As for Tevez, it's well documented how his career ended at Utd. Another who threw his toys out at City, refused to come on as sub,pissed off home to Argentina. Really let Mancini down.

In short, do we want players like that under Ole or consummate pros who give everything and knuckle down when the going is tough?

I know who I'd want and most fans too. If we're going for someone better then it needs to be the complete package not just a great goalscorer. Utd is much more than one player

Player Red

Really liked his comments after the game talking about the partnership with Rashford. Saying that whenever Rashford presses, he has to go with him and that he said to Rashford that whenever he shoots, he will always follow it up.

dmode

Happy to see him back to business... should have been a tough time for him.

littlepeasoup

I love Rom tbh. Was a little critical of him when Ole first came in, not necessarily because of his performances, but that he didn't look like he fit into the system we were trying to play. Goals definitely mask other weaker attributes to his game, but he's got a wicked cross and knows how to finish from the most obscure opportunities.

That being said, he's really had to step up the last few weeks, and I think it shows a lot with regards to his mentality and commitment. I don't think he'll ever truly win everyone over, but I think that's okay. Needs to stay in the team.

Andersons Dietician

If we're going for someone better then it needs to be the complete package not just a great goalscorer. Utd is much more than one player
This is true but there are very few out there and that are available and would be worth the investment. Seems either they are a goal scorer or a playmaker now but never really both, I mean who wouldn’t want a Suarez or an Aguero type. There just aren’t any available or really about.

The closest person we probably have to that sort of mould is Martial given the skill sets but I’m not sure he is ruthless enough.

Jev

Of course he is, he's scored six goals in three games. Martial, Lukaku and Rashford with the latter two interchanging will make a formidable attack.

Hellboy

Icardi is a gigantic twat, don't want him and his drama anywhere near this great club. Lukaku over him anyday of the week.

AfroBuffalo

Icardi is a curse on any team; even without his wife Wanda, he seems like an absolute cnut himself. Why would you want that here? Lukaku, with his flaws, is a great fit in the squad/changing room; if you're going to get rid of him, do it for somebody who will fit in at least.

Also, Lukaku looks great at the minute, I know he's in form and apart from his goals you could struggle to name anything else good, but he's slimmed down, looks sharper & has responded to the challenge we all laid down for him when Ole took over. I'd like him to have another chance.

Ole also likes playing different systems, dependant on what lies ahead & as long as Lukaku keeps working as hard as he clearly is, then he'll have a place and role to fill for us. It's great having a front 3 of quick/skillful/nimble players; but his brute strenght is a trait not to be sniffed at.

Reactions: KM

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Too much drama with Icardi and his agent/wife. Fine footballer but it would be like having a Kardashian at the club.

BULB

Have no problem with him as long as he's happy to play off the bench, and start only when there are injuries (he will get plenty of game time).

Rashford and Martial's development cannot be jeopardised for him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah, if the alternative to Lukaku is Icardi then I'd stick with Lukaku. Best not to invite poison into the club.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I’d put Martial in the hole off the front two and have the three of them as this roaming front three whilst Herrera Pogba and Matic run the show behind them.

Mr PG

Rom is unbenchable now. His fitness is better than I have ever seen. Will start upfront vs arsenal with Rashford and Martial either side of him.

Lukaku looks like he has another gear or two left to be honest. Thiago Silva was comfortably brushed off as he pounced in Paris and a weaker player such as Rashford wouldn’t have scored that goal.

djembatheking

Hopefully we will have all fit after the international break and we have a lot of big fixtures between then and the end of the season . It will be great for Ole to be able to rotate and pick from the attacking options that we have and they will all get plenty of game time .

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
the problem with that is he is unlikely to come on and score those goals that poachers tend to score while he isn't playing regularly because it requires a kind of sharpness you don't have unless you have rhythm and match fitness. Having said that after all the hoo-ha around sanchez and his arrival we are probably going to go back to the same front 3 that was working well for us before he came. Took only about a year to come full circle.:lol:
That is a good point actually. He definitely has more good periods than good moments. Problem for me is those periods are so far between you sometimes can't risk playing him to hope he'll get back to form because he might suck and not score in 15 games. Then he'll have a period out and comes back and score 10 in 10. Then the same shit. We have to figure out a way to manage this and get the most out of him without it ruining our play.

Andersons Dietician

What pace?

ghagua

Lukaku should absolutely be the first choice striker. As good as Rashford is, I just don't trust him to shoulder the team as the main striker for now.

RedIan

On goal scoring form Lukaku has to start, he is a massive threat to our opponents. We just have to ignore all the shit bits he does in between smashing the ball in the net. Looks like he works well with rashford.

cyril C

The Rom and Rash partnership is kicking in.

They clearly get on both on the pitch and off.

Martial is indispensable though
If Martial -Lukaku - Rashford partnership work this Sunday then perfect. Lingard can come in as 4th front player as we do need rotation. Odd man out is Sanchez who will be out for 2 months anyway, another "loser" is Mata but I think he has been confined to backup role anyway.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He isn't level below and no icardi is not quicker than Lukaku. Only thing he is quick at is stealing his friend's wife.

Also not sure what technique you are taking about. He can't pass and can't dribble.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

His general play is miles better than Icardi.

POF

Depends on the game, the tactics and the form of the other forwards. Playing with a high tempo like United do, you can't play the same 11 every week. United shouldn't have a first choice 11 and should have a variety of options who all provide something different. Lukaku definitely does that.

But, saying that, when you have a player scoring 2 every game of course he deserves to stay in the team.

RC89

I've been a big detractor of Lukaku but I'm very happy to see that his qualities have been questioned with us starting a front three of Martial, Lingard and Rashford but he's out there trying to force himself back into the xi and doing a very good job at it. Fair play to him.

Drz

I’d put Martial in the hole off the front two and have the three of them as this roaming front three whilst Herrera Pogba and Matic run the show behind them.
That would take some serious synchronisation between Rashford, Martial and Pogba. Cause Martial will have to go left if Pogba and Rashford go narrow in game. Pogba will have to go left if Rashford and Martial combine in the middle. If Rashford is isolated on the left, Pogba and Martial will have to alternate in proposing an option in the middle.
Shaw meanwhile has to support that. But that can only be properly worked on in the summer.