Is Lukaku forcing his way into first team consideration when we are back to full strength?

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Nice too see his interview yesterday about Solskjær.
He really wants Ole to stay.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I've been a detractor more so than someone in favour of Lukaku and won't pretend otherwise, but the football he is playing and the importance of what he has been doing when asked to step up has been noteworthy. He may have his flaws, but he is now showing a solid set of strengths, too.

With the way he is playing in the attacking third, you can have an expectation he will do something significant and of game-winning importance, be it a really good through-ball for someone else to convert or a finish that, over his last few games, [very] few others in our squad could actually execute.

Just as he has been panned for the poor stuff, he should also be given plaudits for the good, and of late, the good is outweighing the bad, so much so that I don't think we just go straight back to the default xi we had in January and Febraury before the injuries struck.

Where do you stand in regard to this? Has Lukaku claimed his spot in our best xi now for you, or are you still reserving judgement?
6 goals in 3 games? what do you think?

Oneunited26

Having the hunger and not having this mentality no matter how I play I should always start, was never the right attitude if he wants to succeed there, it’s very elitist from him in the past, and now he is getting it. Ole has started working on his weight, his first touch is getting better, and ole is saying he knows how it feels to be on the bench, and he’s responding to this.

Ole is saying you got to earn your stripes here, not expected to just start. I bet ole has to him him, you can leave go to a good premier club, score 25 goals a season, but what does that achieve? Do you want to be great? Do you want to fulfill satisfaction? Greatness has a player, work hard and show you should be here. Top players rise to the challenge each, and lukaku is responding to this. But to keep your place you got to play well, and he’s loving the challenge which makes him a better player that he is being challenged to do better, not being told you won’t ever be dropped, you get complacent. Lukaku knows he cannot drop a level because this coaching staff will not take that attitude

Every player should earn their spots in the team, and under Mourinho he had his fave players, not the best players in form, and it’s created that dynamic that was killing the squad. Now players have an edge to them, they know they have to fight for that starting spot, and what you getting is a hungry set of players, and that’s the hallmark of squads that compete for the prizes

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I’ve said since day 1 it will be a front 3 of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford and that’s what it should be. Allow the wide players to play further inside more like forwards and just let that 3 swap positions, Martial will naturally drop off and try to mix up play but that is the forward line.

Lukaku said himself he prefers to be a dynamic player and that is how Ole has had the forwards play, just to add on the odd occasion Jose stuck Martial and Lukaku up top as the 2 they were brilliant together so we’ll see what happens but in this form there is no way he can be dropped.

Don’t think it has anything to do with his spot being up for grabs, simply put Jose was terrible and didn’t have a clue what he was doing or how to use its team to the best of its abilities which led to horrible performances from loads of our players, not just Lukaku.

Smores

Having the hunger and not having this mentality no matter how I play I should always start, was never the right attitude if he wants to succeed there, it’s very elitist from him in the past, and now he is getting it. Ole has started working on his weight, his first touch is getting better, and ole is saying he knows how it feels to be on the bench and he’s responding to this.

Ole is saying you got to earn your stripes here, not expected to just start. I bet ole has to him him, you can leave go to a good premier club, score 25 goals a season, but what does that achieve? Do you want to be great? Do you want to fulfill satisfaction? Greatness has a player, work hard and show you should be here.

Every player should earn their spots in the team, and under Mourinho he had his fave players, not the best players in form, and it’s created that dynamic that was killing the squad. Now players have an edge to them, they know they have to fight for that starting spot, and what you getting is a hungry set of players, and that’s the hallmark of squads that compete for the prizes
Any evidence to backup that he had this viewpoint because he never actually kicked up a fuss when dropped by Jose or Ole?

settembrini

If people were upset that Lukaku was starting games earlier in the season when he was out of form then they should equally be wanting him to keep his place in the side now that's he back in form.

EngimaMK

I've always really liked Lukaku as an out and out striker in the vein of a V Nistelrooy or Shearer type. He doesn't fit the modern CF mould of having a wide array of attacking talents, but the man's record speaks for itself. He knows where the goal is and with good supply he can find it.

That said, he actually looked like a different Lukaku at the World Cup. With that Belgium team, he hurried the ball, ran at opposition, provided link up play AND scored a plenty.

I think his limitations are actually overplayed, it's just that when things aren't going his way, he will revert to type and become a lump of a CF.

If he is willing to accept that he isn't always gonna be our first choice go-to man but fight for his place in the team, I don't see why we wouldn't hang on to him.

He seems very dedicated to the cause.

...Sanchez on the other hand ...

Reactions: Sultan

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He now start scoring those ‘out of nothing’ goals. It’s the sign of an elite striker. And he work his ass off in every game.

It will send the wrong message if the manager drops him in favor of his favorite player.

billybee99

Neither does Herrera bring what Lingard does. Each one brings something very different. The point is that you don't need both Herrera and Matic for a large number of games.
Oh oh oh let me guess. Movement? You were going to say movement, right?

ash_86

Two striker formation is suiting us to a T. So i don't mind Lukaku starting

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If we are primarily going to play the diamond with split forwards, we need to keep Martial, Rashford and Lukaku fresh.

If he keeps on scoring, he has to start his fair share.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He obviously shouldn't be benched straight away after Martial and Lingard come back. I'm still not sure that he is a part of our best XI when all players are fit, but we'll see.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The problem that many in this thread aren't taking into account is how streaky of a player Rom can be, and that when he isn't scoring his overall play normally takes a nosedive as well. I still don't think he's the man to lead the line in coming years, but obviously on current form you aren't taking him out of the lineup. Ideally, we rotate in between different systems with him and others, but I also don't think people want Rashford shunted out to the wing again.

Member 90887

What do we think of Martial as the 10, the top of a diamond ?

it would allow us to keep Lukaku and Rash up to.

Shark

@NotShark
What do we think of Martial as the 10, the top of a diamond ?

it would allow us to keep Lukaku and Rash up to.
I think that would be an awful idea, Martial isn't that type of player at all. He thrives with space, not a congested role.

cyberman

Lukaku should play as an inside right forward. Have Rashford up top who can dove tail with Lingard / Pogba behind him.
We need to win beat the lesser sides in the league next season to mount a challenge so all of our goalscorers are vital

Member 90887

I think that would be an awful idea, Martial isn't that type of player at all. He thrives with space, not a congested role.
Well, i see no other way to play the three of them without one of them having to adapt to a new role.

in a 433, Rash has to play in the center, he's way better there, Rom as well. Martial can't play anywhere other than LW.

So one of Rash or Rom has to play on the right, and both can do a job there but they'd be wasted on that side.

i think that 2 up top is the best bet to accommodate Rash and Rom.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Well, i see no other way to play the three of them without one of them having to adapt to a new role.

in a 433, Rash has to play in the center, he's way better there, Rom as well. Martial can't play anywhere other than LW.

So one of Rash or Rom has to play on the right, and both can do a job there but they'd be wasted on that side.

i think that 2 up top is the best bet to accommodate Rash and Rom.
The point you were coming to is correct. Both Rashford and Lukaku need to be in the same position for them to be at their best. As of right now he has to keep playing, but I don't know if I see us rotating strikers, especially when Rashford needs to keep getting games as a 9.

Best case scenarios are Lukaku willingly accepting a role as a rotational striker (unlikely), or he boosts his value massively and is sold in the summer for a high price. I don't see how him and Rashford coexist when we want to continue developing the latter, and the former struggles when he isn't in goalscoring form.

stepic

the problem we have is neither Lukaku nor Rashford are natural RWers. so it's not ideal. and then if you play them up top together, we're back to Pogba in a midfield two discussion again. i'm not sure how you resolve it longer term.

(i see the conversation has moved to this point already, oops)

AfroBuffalo

Looks like he's shed about a stone since those really unflattering pictures of him where going about. Seems sharper too.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Even though our three biggest wins of Ole's reign (Arsenal away, Chelsea away, PSG away) came with him starting and as the best player in two of those games?
Yes. He's a goalscorer but he's a bit of a liability on the ball. Saturday for example other than scoring he contributed nothing and we struggled.

For me I prefer us with Ole's preferred starting 11.

RasTiaGba

It's really exciting to have him now.

We all know he's clinical.

In the league and cup he's shown amazing passing with through balls, and in the CL he showed amazing dribbling to dribble past Button, which is something you would expect from Messi.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You can't bench a striker in goal scoring form it's as simple as that. Rashfords looked poor since his injury so I'd even consider giving him a rest.
You don't think Lukaku being in the team and taking up space or hindering Rashford's natural movement has anything to do with that?

I did think Lukaku's gain does becomes Rashford's loss rather swiftly in terms of areas of the pitch Rashford is then forced to play in.
The point you were coming to is correct. Both Rashford and Lukaku need to be in the same position for them to be at their best. As of right now he has to keep playing, but I don't know if I see us rotating strikers, especially when Rashford needs to keep getting games as a 9.

Best case scenarios are Lukaku willingly accepting a role as a rotational striker (unlikely), or he boosts his value massively and is sold in the summer for a high price. I don't see how him and Rashford coexist when we want to continue developing the latter, and the former struggles when he isn't in goalscoring form.
Good post.

Inter Yer Nan

Yes. He's a goalscorer but he's a bit of a liability on the ball. Saturday for example other than scoring he contributed nothing and we struggled.

For me I prefer us with Ole's preferred starting 11.
Fair enough he can slow us down but he's the best and most consistent goalscorer at the club. Sometimes, oftentimes that's a great reason to keep him in.

I'm not sure he has a preferred 11 yet. Still trying to figure it out and he's managing them well. You've got to play your way in and good form is rewarded with a run.

Eire Red United

6 goals in 3 games says it all. He can’t be dropped the way he’s playing at the minute, so up to Martial/Lingard to force their way back in.

ottosec

Of course he has to start. It's not only his goals but his all-around game has improved greatly too.

He had a terrible first half of the season, but people seem to forget how good he was last year.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Apart form the obvious 'yes' answer to the question above, I want to challenge the notion that we have to pick only 3 out of Martial, Lukaku, Lingard and Rashford.

For most games we don't need 2 defensive minded CMs in Herrera and Matic. It's perfectly reasonable to pick 1 of Matic or Herrera and pair him with Pogba and Lingard. Like so...

After all both Pogba and Lingard are very hardworking players that cover lots of ground
Based on their form before injury I’d have Herrera starting over Lingard, especially in midfield, any day.

Lingard would only work in midfield if we had a super reliable super solid defensive mid. Matic is too slow to cover appropriately if Lingard and inevitably Pogba lose the ball.

Regarding the thread title, I don’t see why a front 3 of Martial - Lukaku - Rashford wouldn’t work. Worth a try.

Fully Fledged

If scoring 2 goals a game for 3 matches on the trot doesn't get you into the team you have to ask questions about the selection process.

Fracture90

Martial on the left, Lukaku and Rushford interchanging in the centre/right is what I think our front 3 will be when we're back to full strength.

Aloysius's Back 3

If we are primarily going to play the diamond with split forwards, we need to keep Martial, Rashford and Lukaku fresh.

If he keeps on scoring, he has to start his fair share.
This is why I don't see a RW coming.

Martial & Rashford are right footed Centre forwards that like attacking on the left channel to utilise their right foot.

Lukaku & Greenwood are left footed forwards who like running down the right channel and use their left foot to finish.

Having split forwards allow us to have so many possibilities that it should allow us to easily use our most inform players without causing any unfair squad positions for players like Lukaku -

For example look at the possibilities and ease in picking -

* Martial - Rashford
*Martial - Lukaku
* Martial - Greenwood
*Rashford - Lukaku
*Rashford - Greenwood

Each player gets to play in their strongest position.

If we play with wingers then -

Only martial is good enough for LW, Rashford loses it as LW in comparison

Rashford will have to play as a striker and even in his generally average good form would put Lukaku on the bench.

Lukaku would get some time at RW - again not the best of position.

Martial doesn't get a chance as a striker when arguably being the most composed finisher.

Greenwood would be 3rd on the list as a striker or filling a gap at RW.

Sancho would be our only RW even on his lowest form.

I'd rather see two strikers and a creator in the middle - gives everyone a chance.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Lukaku is not playing as a hold-up striker with his back to the goal under Ole. He's had to transition into a slightly different player. Mourinho tried to mould him into Drogba which I believe was a mistake.

He has played with mobility since he's been starting helping him being in positions where it's difficult for central defenders to keep a track of him. Against Southampton, Rashford and Lukaku played together with width coming from wings, which changed the game in our favour. Purchasing a right winger would allow the team to play 4-4-2 with Rashford and Lukaku playing together in the middle in some chosen games, or allow Ole to change tactics mid-games. We need players with different skillsets allowing coaches to change tactics over the course of the season.

Admittedly, he was poor prior to Ole coming and to be fair, very few players excelled under Jose. Goal scorers are gold dust and we should wait and see how tactics and players develop over the next 12 Months before deciding on which players to sell in the squad. The squad seems in great harmony and there's no need to mess with the chemistry unless they themselves want to leave.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's certainly absolutely rampaged into form!

Not sure he'd scored more than 1 in a game more than about 2 or 3 times in his time here, so to do it 3 games in a row is fantastic.

We all know there's a fine line between a Rom good game and bad game, and usually it's the goal/s that are the defining aspect.

Great timing, as Rashy has looked a bit off recently, pretty understandably after the niggle

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lukaku is not playing as a hold-up striker with his back to the goal under Ole. He's had to transition into a slightly different player. Mourinho tried to mould him into Drogba which I believe was a mistake.

He has played with mobility since he's been starting helping him being in positions where it's difficult for central defenders to keep a track of him. Against Southampton, Rashford and Lukaku played together with width coming from wings, which changed the game in our favour. Purchasing a right winger would allow the team to play 4-4-2 with Rashford and Lukaku playing together in the middle in some chosen games, or allow Ole to change tactics mid-games. We need players with different skillsets allowing coaches to change tactics over the course of the season.

Admittedly, he was poor prior to Ole coming and to be fair, very few players excelled under Jose. Goal scorers are gold dust and we should wait and see how tactics and players develop over the next 12 Months before deciding on which players to sell in the squad. The squad seems in great harmony and there's no need to mess with the chemistry unless they themselves want to leave.
There's a couple of players who really need to go like Darmian and Rojo, but aside from them, I wouldn't be in a rush to bin anyone off.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My thoughts also. When Martial comes back, what will Ole do? These games proved that Lukaku needs to be in the box as no9 player. Not on the wing. So Rashford should go on the right i guess

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's our top scorer and is in great form. He starts IMO. I think Martial might have to win his position back as I can see Ole playing a diamond with Lingard behind Lukaku and Rashford.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There's a couple of players who really need to go like Darmian and Rojo, but aside from them, I wouldn't be in a rush to bin anyone off.
I agree.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia. and even the very likeable Mata who might not suit our counter-attacking game with his lack of pace. Chong can be given a few games/minutes in his position and a new right winger purchased.