Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el3mel

He has potential, but let's not jump the gun and overrate the kid. He's only 18 and will most definitely have poor or inconsistent performance from time to time, over praising him now will turn the opposite when this happens. Let's be logical and let him develop steadily and see what happens.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Early signs (including pre season) are that he looks calm and composed.

We've been severely bereft of technically proficient and well-rounded midfielders. For that reason alone it doesn't take much to get fans and fellow players excited. Just the slightest hint of talent often gets massively overhyped at this club. Is the praise he is receiving slightly over the the top? Or is he simply the real deal?
Did I read or hear recently that Man City have actually tried to poach him every year since he signed for us and maybe even before?

wolvored

looked good pre season and MOTM yesterday. If he can keep his feet on the ground, the skys the limit.

telstar96

Definitely is the real deal but football can be an unforgiving sports. Lots of talented players can be derailed by poor management, bad luck or external influences.

The key for Mainoo is to get gametime but also not be forced to be a starter week in week out. My worry isn't in his talent but whether he'll be played to death by a club desperate for his profile. Look at someone like Pedri now. Extremely talented, one of the best teenage midfielders I've seen but is constantly injured due to being overplayed. Mainoo needs to be eased into the senior game until he's physically mature.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we think he just becomes a first choice player now, rather than starts here and there depending on how desperate we are? Hopefully the former. He’s good enough regardless of age.

Alek M

Da manic one
Yes he is the real deal. You can’t fake those touches, composure and passing ability. The vision too. He positioned himself better than McT and was miles better at turning and going through the middle. And then those few lunging stops.

so he is the real deal. But needs to be eased into the team with 45 min here and there. He needs to bulk up a bit.

The Red Thinker

Been following the growth of this kid for a while now. Since the age of 16, I’ve noticed he’s developed time on the ball. A remarkable ability to play at his own pace. Sometimes it feels like he’s playing in slow-motion but it’s just him trying to manipulate players around him with his movement.

To me he has the profile that Ten Hag has been crying out for. Solid passer, physically strong and very intelligent. He also has the gift that we love the Spanish players for - the feint along with his rear wing mirrors. Spatial awareness is TOP NOTCH with this one.

If he can stay injury free, Kobbie will run our midfield for the next decade.I am certain of it.

OleGunnar20

Needs several years on loan before we should think about getting him some cup games on the bench.

Nah, he looks great doesn't he. I'm ready to be hurt again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
IF he makes it (and a lot has to go very very well) I wonder what type of CM would he be suited to playing with.

A Kante type hound?
A DM destroyer like Casemiro or Caicedo?
Or a deep lying playmaking like Carrick or Rodri?

Yakuza_devils

IF he makes it (and a lot has to go very very well) I wonder what type of CM would he be suited to playing with.

A Kante type hound?
A FDJ type.

Strelok

Do we think he just becomes a first choice player now, rather than starts here and there depending on how desperate we are? Hopefully the former. He’s good enough regardless of age.
Totally agree. If he's good enough he's old enough. It's actually very rare to see a midfielder with such maturity at this age. It'd be criminal if he doesn't start next match especially considering our options in midfield.

A Kante type hound?
I think ETH still fancy his midfield with one DM and two hybrid CAM. He can be our Rodri he can be that good imo.

telstar96

The “Paul Pogba” we were supposed to have when he debuted.
I don't think Pogba and Mainoo are comparable. Two different type of players. Pogba could never receive it on the half turn like Mainoo can and likewise, Mainoo probably doesn't have the same level of flair and technique in the final third Pogba has. I reckon both together would've complemented each other very well.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I don't think Pogba and Mainoo are comparable. Two different type of players. Pogba could never receive it on the half turn like Mainoo can and likewise, Mainoo probably doesn't have the same level of flair and technique in the final third Pogba has. I reckon both together would've complemented each other very well.
I mean the similarity when we felt excited with a homegrown midfielder coming through. Yet we didn’t have it when Pogba got his soul corrupted by Raiola. This time with Mainoo hopefully will be different.

telstar96

A Kante type hound?
I reckon it's too early to say. Mainoo could be moulded into a busquets type player or a Xavi type player. Really depends on what type of skillset he's able to develop.
I mean the similarity when we felt excited with a homegrown midfielder coming through. Yet we didn’t have it when Pogba got his soul corrupted by Raiola. This time with Mainoo hopefully will be different.
Ah okay yes in that case definitely. From the sounds of it Mainoo has a good team around him. So did Pogba at the beginning but then had a lot of external influences and pressures as we're beginning to learn. Hopefully Mainoo can avoid leaches.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Massive talent but too much expectation is not welcome

Just remember Januzaj etc

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Just keep playing him and rotate with Casemiro once he returns. It's that simple.

Remember the geese

Either one of these types would do just fine. I don't see Mainoo as a pure DM destroyer or a Kante type. He offers far too much in possession to be restricted in that sense. I'd like to see him as the De Jong, with an additional defensive minded player with him. A little like him playing the role of old man Scholes. Needs his Carrick. Though he's so talented, you can pretty much mould him into whatever you like.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He looked excellent but I'd have liked to see how we would have dealt with Onana rather than Gueye.

dutchred

He's the FDJ type.
Agree, Picks up the ball from the back and drives forward. Ideally I'd like to see him with Gore next to him, Gore is the ideal complement, will cover defensively fro him when he moves forward and together form a good defensive unit when necessary

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
As talented as many talents that have came through the club.

What will hamper him, is the shower of a club that we are. Fergie had the (self created) luxury of bringing through young players into stable teams.

From Adnan onwards, young players have entered fractured squads and teams, built by multiple managers and they’ve not had any consistent pathway to see them fulfill their talent here.

If nothing else, a new change in Club choices with the new part-ownership, we should surely have a 5-10 year vision of how stable football operations need to be. Build a squad full of the age and profile and talent that can age together, in a way that Arsenal have done.

If we can get our shit together, the likes of Mainoo won’t see a binary choice of ‘Best ever or shit’ being the question.

LInkash

Keep him away from booze, grannies, wannabe gangsters and teach him how to respect women please. Bonus points if Rashford helps him give back to others
Nothing wrong with a mature woman.

foolsgold

I've liked everything that I've seen to date, but it's early days. The trajectory is unlikely to be smooth, if he keeps working and we coach him well then the sky is the limit. Could just as easily go to shit as well though.

crossy1686

career ending
As talented as many talents that have came through the club.

What will hamper him, is the shower of a club that we are. Fergie had the (self created) luxury of bringing through young players into stable teams.

From Adnan onwards, young players have entered fractured squads and teams, built by multiple managers and they’ve not had any consistent pathway to see them fulfill their talent here.

If nothing else, a new change in Club choices with the new part-ownership, we should surely have a 5-10 year vision of how stable football operations need to be. Build a squad full of the age and profile and talent that can age together, in a way that Arsenal have done.

If we can get our shit together, the likes of Mainoo won’t see a binary choice of ‘Best ever or shit’ being the question.
That's not really true though is it? Great players have the right mentality to make it, there's loads of players who had the talent but could never harness it due to their mentality or maturity.

You look at a player like Bellingham, he would have made it at any club regardless of the shit show it may or may not have been. The examples you gave were talented players but they didn't have the required mentality, which is why they haven't made a high level career out of football, and that's got nothing to do with us 'ruining' them at an early age. If it wasn't for the coaching and opportunities afford to them at United they wouldn't even be known.

spiriticon

He's got the talent but will he have the consistency?

Another Pogba is no good. We won't win titles if he only turns up for 10 matches a year.

GiveItToGi...nowait

I am very, very excited.

The game the other night was the first time I've watched him play and the two things that stood out to me were the amount of time he seemed to have on the ball as others have already mentioned and his ability to use small, almost imperceptible if you aren't looking for them, feints to move the players around him.

I know things can go wrong and it's just one game, but my goodness it's hard not to get excited when you see him strolling around a hostile Goodison park sending players for fish and chips with cheeky nutmegs and feints.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I almost never get excited about these prodigies. I pretty much have a 100% track-record when it comes to predicting who will become a success because I'm so cautious. You can count my predictions on one hand.

It's only been one game, but Mainoo really impressed me on Sunday. His skillset is very rare for someone that young. You often see pacy, technical wingers full of confidence at that age. But a calm and smart DM who looks like a seasoned pro? Now that is rare.

Injuries and off-pitch incidents aside, I think he's bound for success. At worst he'll be one of the best players for a solid PL team. At best? Who knows.

Brightonian

A Kante type hound?
I think he should be allowed to focus on the transitional and creative side of his game. So I think he should either be played alongside an energetic destroyer (Amrabat, maybe Casemiro if he can get some legs back) or perhaps behind a 'Kante type hound' as you put it (again, probably also Amrabat?), ready to step in, sweep up the loose ball and create with it.

I think I prefer the former option because the whole value of players like Mainoo is that they don't need to sit behind the play and receive the ball in deep safe spaces. He has a picture in his head even when he's in the middle of things, and he is fine receiving the ball in more contested spaces.

So:

GK
FB CB CB FB
Mainoo Amrabat
Bruno​