Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gordon Godot

I think he should be allowed to focus on the transitional and creative side of his game. So I think he should either be played alongside an energetic destroyer (Amrabat, maybe Casemiro if he can get some legs back) or perhaps behind a 'Kante type hound' as you put it (again, probably also Amrabat?), ready to step in, sweep up the loose ball and create with it.

I think I prefer the former option because the whole value of players like Mainoo is that they don't need to sit behind the play and receive the ball in deep safe spaces. He has a picture in his head even when he's in the middle of things, and he is fine receiving the ball in more contested spaces.

So:

GK
FB CB CB FB
Mainoo Amrabat
Bruno​
Tend to agree, but Amrabat an 'energetic destroyer', really? And Casemiro's legs are gone, its all downhill from here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
One thing is for sure, he has a very high ceiling/potential. This is not enough to "make it" because he might as well end up like this guy who sits at home playing Call of Duty for 300k per week, but at the same time it already puts him a level above Hannibal/Pellistri (McTominay and Antony aren't even part of this conversation).

The most interesting thing about Mainoo is he seems to be using his brain rather than base his game on youthful energy, and that is promising.

justsomebloke

Only time will tell, but what we saw against Everton looked exactly like what we saw in several pre-season games: Calm under pressure, good decisions, able to deliver forward passing reliably and also occasionally with great creativity. Above all and most impressively, the ability to think ahead of the game - he looks like he already knows what he's going to do as he receives the ball AND he's able to consistently execute that.

It's impossible not to feel hugely optimistic about what he could turn into, and already at the levels we saw on Sunday I don't think it's an exaggeration to call him our best no 6, until he proves that wrong.

zaafi

He is the kind of player we would envy Barcelona getting from La Masia, and finally it's our turn :drool:

He would definitely be playing a lot of games for Barcelona, maybe even last season. I just hope we don't make the same mistake like Barcelona did with Pedri/Gavi and play him every single game from now on.

The difference with the other failed midfield prospects is that he has actually done it in a top level game now. Still, early days and anything could happen. It's good that he does not play in a glory position so won't be all over the back pages the second he scores a goal.

Being young, he is going to have a game or two where he is totally lost on the pitch. We need to manage him so it doesn't get to his confidence.

justsomebloke

Did I read or hear recently that Man City have actually tried to poach him every year since he signed for us and maybe even before?
That would make a lot of sense, he is exactly their kind of player.

Ranie

This kid is truly special but we’ve seen way too many youngsters getting overhyped and then thrown under the bus when things don’t go their way. I’m, at least, going to be calm and watch his development over the next couple of years. All the signs are there though that he can be a terrific player for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let the kid grow. How many 18 year old midfielders actually has taken the limelight? The position he plays is a very demanding and critical position and I hope he gets enough time to prove himself.
Probably everyone at Barca.

Socratic

He's a great prospect but it's still early days. He reminds me a little of McEachran or Gilmour who both looked impressive at 18 but to varying extents didn't fulfil that promise (or in Gilmour's case, hasn't yet).

If we had a quality, functional midfield in place then I'd say he'd be best suited going on loan for a year or two to gain first team experience, but given we don't have any midfielders who can actually do all of things that midfielders are meant to do he might end up getting enough playing time here. Which could work in his favour, or could backfire if too much pressure is put on him. He doesn't need to become an elite level midfielder to establish himself here, if he can even prove to be decent then the position is his for the taking.
McEachran looked the bees knees when he first appeared. Convinced I was watching a future England CM.
Gilmour is a great little player and Brighton got him for buttons.
Two random players of reference but I have to say both looked more talented on first looks than Mainoo.

I tend to get excited about our youth but not seeing star quality quite yet. As you say however at a club where likes McFred have made large numbers of appearances in recent times he might be a good addition, especially with Case and Eriksen on the downward hill. I see him at around the Jimmy Garner level.

Socratic

This kid is truly special but we’ve seen way too many youngsters getting overhyped and then thrown under the bus when things don’t go their way. I’m, at least, going to be calm and watch his development over the next couple of years. All the signs are there though that he can be a terrific player for us.
Pick one.

lex talionis

Adnan was managed by a desperate clown. No chance of ETH running Mainoo into the ground or putting him into impossible situations. Kobbie is the real deal but I have no doubt our manager will use him carefully.

dutchred

i think Casemiro and Mainoo would be a good combination. Covering for each other defensively but also taking the ball out of defense into attack

dubplate warrior

He's so polished but things I want to see more from him over the next years is improvement to his passing range and some really purposeful forward passing. I love his ball-carrying, so refreshing to see.
He's shown that he
Early signs (including pre season) are that he looks calm and composed.

We've been severely bereft of technically proficient and well-rounded midfielders. For that reason alone it doesn't take much to get fans and fellow players excited. Just the slightest hint of talent often gets massively overhyped at this club. Is the praise he is receiving slightly over the the top? Or is he simply the real deal?

That's high praise indeed. He definitely has the fundamentals to become elite.

lex talionis

The same desperate clown who gave him his chance and also where he had his best season.
And yet Moyes was a desperate clown. Beyond what we already know about his mismanagement of United, he overworked Adnan, who as you rightly note has never been the same player since.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Adnan was managed by a desperate clown. No chance of ETH running Mainoo into the ground or putting him into impossible situations. Kobbie is the real deal but I have no doubt our manager will use him carefully.
I feel everyone overrated him massively because they wanted something to cheer about in that depressing season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's quality. But we've ruined loads of quality prospects.

Ten hag is the right type of manager to develop a player like him, he understands what that sort of midfielder needs and values those abilities rather than force him into a box to box role or obsess about end product. A first phase, deep build up midfielder is where he has huge potential... Keep him there. And I'm sure ten hag will. If ten hag is replaced, I'm not sure how Mainoo will be developed, and if it'll work.

Generally speaking, we've fecked a lot of the top prospects we've had because of the wrong managers being in, or them just not suiting the players or what that specific player needed. There is also the huge unknown about off the field issues, complacency, mental desire & determination, how they handle pressure... Nobody knows how that will go. Talent wise, he's got all it takes to be a world class player in the future. Talent is just a small part of the full equation though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
McEachran looked the bees knees when he first appeared. Convinced I was watching a future England CM.
Gilmour is a great little player and Brighton got him for buttons.
Two random players of reference but I have to say both looked more talented on first looks than Mainoo.

I tend to get excited about our youth but not seeing star quality quite yet. As you say however at a club where likes McFred have made large numbers of appearances in recent times he might be a good addition, especially with Case and Eriksen on the downward hill. I see him at around the Jimmy Garner level.
The physical attributes he has combined with the touch, awareness, composure, the natural movement to find himself always open to receive the ball from the defence, can take it on the half turn, pause with the ball to draw in opposing players before either carrying past them or playing a pass to the open man, forward, to the side, etc., and then matching it up with strong defensive work rate and the knowledge of where and when to step in and cover spaces... What he showed vs Everton is a level that none of those names you've mentioned have shown. And he showed it on his full debut away to Everton.

As a deep midfielder, the guy to pick it up off the defenders, keep possession under pressure, dictate tempo, bypass the press and get it into better positions... He's got exactly what we want. It's about improving the consistency, developing, dominating more and more, but I don't need things like splitting passes from him (though he's capable of it from time to time), or goals from him. I don't want him box to box, there are loads of box to box players. A proper deep playmaker like what he showed vs Everton is rare and he has elite potential with it.

MrBest

Game one always easier than game two and game three. I think give the kid a chance to have a good first start and play a few average (and below) games. His trajectory will not be linear. I do see great potential in him, great energy, great anticipation, technical ability, passing, vision, tackling, position etc, but I honestly think it will be 6 to 12 months to really know if he can handle being at the top, have consistency and deal with good and bad form. That said, no discrediting how good he was on Sunday, great performance.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Just don't run him into the ground. I fear what happens when he starts getting England call-ups. Whatever Barcelona is doing with their youngsters, do the exact opposite.

RoyH1

Most promising midfielder we've had in years. I hope we don't ruin him

johannes_fd

Just don't run him into the ground. I fear what happens when he starts getting England call-ups. Whatever Barcelona is doing with their youngsters, do the exact opposite.
Lets just hope Southgate stays and we'll have Mainoo for ourselves. Hendo gonna play until his 40s.

Mainoonited

I really hope so - but we need to have patience.

He might well be amazing this season and then tail off next season. A lot of players look better initially because they are unknown entities and then in the second season are "found out" by the opposition.

He has the talent to be everything we want him to be - now let's give him time to develop.

Brightonian

I really hope so - but we need to have patience.

He might well be amazing this season and then tail off next season. A lot of players look better initially because they are unknown entities and then in the second season are "found out" by the opposition.

He has the talent to be everything we want him to be - now let's give him time to develop.
Excellent username.

Reyoji-Utd

Let the kids gets on his way, the last thing he needs and we need is hyping him up. Let him develope his game gradually and naturally. We have at least some glime of hope in Midfield with him, the last thing ww want is hyping and then suddenly pressure mounting on him to perform and ask of him as our only hope to lift us from our shite season.

wolvored

Looks a fantastic player. Hes 18 now and if hes consistant enough give him plenty of playing time. A game a week shouldnt hurt him.

Wazzaduke33

I’m so glad that over half the people on here on the poll aren’t adding to why we have issues. He looks promising, couple of good performances that bode well for the future. I’ve read stuff like he’s the new “Frenkie De Jong” FFS, it’s one of the reasons players fail here, too much hype too soon, we get far too excited by footballers who can play the game !

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Should be starting every league game from now on. He’s better than the alternatives.