Is Mainoo the real deal?

Is Kobbie Mainoo the real deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I understood you didn’t mean England being successful due to Mainoo, I’m just quite sceptical of English national team, I’ve been told they’d surely rack up multiple trophies in the next decade since I was born in the early 90s and already witnessed a couple of golden generations. Nothing personal against you or Kobbie.

I think it is extremely difficult to win Ballon d’Or or any popularity contest from his position - Modrić managed it but he won a lot of trophies that season, reached the unlikely World Cup final and was honored also in light of his long and wonderful career. Bellingham looks nailed to be one of the dominant candidates in the post Messi and Ronaldo era, but even if he is the overall best player in the world my money is on forwards like Haaland or Mbappe earning the accolades.

still, our first academy player since Rashford when the sky high hype is rather justified, every team in the world wished they had a talent like Mainoo.
I was only joking

croadyman

Gonna remain patient for now,however winner against City at Etihad or Arsenal/scousers at Old Trafford and will start saying wild things

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Bruno mentioned seeing Mainoo's obvious talent 2-3 years ago, and Hojlund's quoting players had been raving about him since early season.

The kid's talent has been well known for years.

goalscholes

The only negative I'd say is that sometimes he's a bit slow/ (lazy?) to close down players or space. That's more of a cultural thing though, and hopefully quite easy to change.

You always wonder about consistency with young players. But so far, he's been almost flawless.

Remember the geese

Bruno mentioned seeing Mainoo's obvious talent 2-3 years ago, and Hojlund's quoting players had been raving about him since early season.

It's true. Very obvious to us fans who have watched him for years in the academy too.

GueRed

For those who follow the Academy
He alongside Garnacho were obvious standouts in that Class of '22

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The fact City tried to poach him is probably reason enough to know he's a genuine class talent. If Southgate had any vision he'd include him in the England squad for the Euros.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m just hoping we can manage his ascent properly and keep him grounded.

He seems like a humble, sensible lad but so did Rashford.

For all Ten Hag’s flaws he’s done a good job so far with Garnacho so hopefully he’s in good hands for now.
Ten Hag gets a lot of stick but he’s been great with our young players.

Remember him getting Kobbie on the pitch at Wembley when we won the League Cup and basically telling him this is what he has to come?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And in 10 years time you may quote me on that, although you are taking my remark out of context. I didn’t mean that England will be successful due to Mainoo, I meant they’ll be successful due to the ridiculous amount of highly talented young English players coming through, like Kobe Mainoo.
Some of them are already there, the biggest issue England will face is finding Harry Kane's successor

Teja

Some of them are already there, the biggest issue England will face is finding Harry Kane's successor
The CF position has changed I think, it doesn't need that extensive skillset that Kane brings. Throw Watkins up there with all the creative attacking mids and inside forwards like Sterling, Bellingham, Foden etc. and he'll do fine.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only negative I'd say is that sometimes he's a bit slow/ (lazy?) to close down players or space. That's more of a cultural thing though, and hopefully quite easy to change.

You always wonder about consistency with young players. But so far, he's been almost flawless.
Nope, closing down players is not always the best thing to do, sometimes it's better to close the space down, this is one of United's biggest problems, too may players dive in to try and win the ball and when they fail they've left a huge space for the opposition to make use of

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The CF position has changed I think, it doesn't need that extensive skillset that Kane brings. Throw Watkins up there with all the creative attacking mids and inside forwards like Sterling, Bellingham, Foden etc. and he'll do fine.
Yeah but by the time Kane's finished in 2-3 years Watkins will be in his 30's, he's not the long term Kane replacement

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Such an exciting player. Not to get too carried away but he reminds me of Seedorf - his movement, technique. Still buzzing from his goal last night!
Yeah. Was thinking he's more like FdJ when playing as DM, and now i can see why people seeing him like Seedorf "the professor". Although Seedorf's intensity was out of this world. Just look at those thighs!! Damnn..
For those who follow the Academy
He alongside Garnacho were obvious standouts in that Class of '22
It was a good transition from academy to senior. Probably he and Garnacho would be main reason Fletcher will keep his job.

Bojan Djordjic

You mean calm and in control rather rushed and panicked.
His composure is one of his best attributes and he always looks like he has time on the ball but I do think he is going to need to learn when to change gears and speed it up occasionally or he might become a bit predictable to the opposition.

Probably my favourite player in years and am so excited to follow his career. Hope that with his growing confidence, he gets on the ball a bit more and is more ambitious/progressive in his passing and dribbling because he seems to have all the raw materials.

Teja

Yeah but by the time Kane's finished in 2-3 years Watkins will be in his 30's, he's not the long term Kane replacement
Yeah but you'll always have guys like Watkins and Toney floating about, England doesn't really suffer from a lack of quality strikers.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I understood you didn’t mean England being successful due to Mainoo, I’m just quite sceptical of English national team, I’ve been told they’d surely rack up multiple trophies in the next decade since I was born in the early 90s and already witnessed a couple of golden generations. Nothing personal against you or Kobbie.

I think it is extremely difficult to win Ballon d’Or or any popularity contest from his position - Modrić managed it but he won a lot of trophies that season, reached the unlikely World Cup final and was honored also in light of his long and wonderful career. Bellingham looks nailed to be one of the dominant candidates in the post Messi and Ronaldo era, but even if he is the overall best player in the world my money is on forwards like Haaland or Mbappe earning the accolades.

still, our first academy player since Rashford when the sky high hype is rather justified, every team in the world wished they had a talent like Mainoo.
Trust me, I’ve been around for over half a century and in my lifetime England have never had anything remotely like this kind of talent they are having now. Not even in the slightest.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah. Was thinking he's more like FdJ when playing as DM, and now i can see why people seeing him like Seedorf "the professor". Although Seedorf's intensity was out of this world. Just look at those thighs!! Damnn..

It was a good transition from academy to senior. Probably he and Garnacho would be main reason Fletcher will keep his job.
Yeah Seedorf was a physical tank. Very unique player

Theonas

Scout
Trust me, I’ve been around for over half a century and in my lifetime England have never had anything remotely like this kind of talent they are having now. Not even in the slightest.
It's the technicality that is different now, wouldn't you say? England always had good players but they were usually good box to box players, strong players or lethal finishers. But never has the country boasted more than one or two really skillful players with ball control in tight spaces. Even the golden generation didn't. They had so many qualities but these technical qualities were average to good, very rarely high.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hojlund said on his post match interview that the players call him a generational talent.
I do hope we have players who keep him grounded though. We’ve seen this story of big talents not living up to the hype too often over the past decade.

Rams

It's the technicality that is different now, wouldn't you say? England always had good players but they were usually good box to box players, strong players or lethal finishers. But never has the country boasted more than one or two really skillful players with ball control in tight spaces. Even the golden generation didn't. They had so many qualities but these technical qualities were average to good, very rarely high.
Yeah the players being produced now are technically far better equipped than players previously. It seems that the facilities & at grass roots level has changed to stimulate superior technique, as well as the influx of new coaching ideas from abroad in the English game. English players are now generally far better equipped for possession type football than previously. Also, as I have been saying for years on here and contrary to what the popular opinion was, the competition for starting places at the clubs against the influx of foreign players has raised the bar for young English players to get in the first team. You have to be a better player than was previously due to the competition. Quality over quantity! These are good times to be an England supporter.

Red Star One

That’s probably for another thread, but I think England squads for WC 2002 or 2006 were even more stacked in talent than your current national selection. Pound for pound I think there’s no discussion early 2000s you had better defense, absolutely star studded midfield and Rooney/Owen are no less talented than Kane.
I’d argue that the current squad is more balanced and the opposition is less fierce than 20 years ago, so even if not as talented, they are more likely to succeed.

MJay

Generational talent. No comparison fits fully, he's not really similar to Seedorf, nor will he ever play like him. Generational talent means it's a special talent rarely seen before. I am talking about purely talent.

I was slightly worried when I saw he was with Sancho in a picture a month a go or so, during the time Sancho was banished of course. The picture was taken in the U21 training area, and Mainoo had already started matches for us by that time.

He needs the best examples around him, and I hope he doesn't click with someone who isn't the best professional. I can see him looking up to 5 UCL winner Casemiro for example, and focus on what and how he lives and lived his life to reach those achievements. Look at Case hugging ten Hag after Scottys goal yesterday, he's absolutely all in, and I can see him enjoying that role. Afterall, we did not pay all that money for the impact it will have on the pitch only, but off it too. What's the value of Casemiros mentorship resulting in an eventually peak, mature Mainoo? Priceless.

Rams

That’s probably for another thread, but I think England squads for WC 2002 or 2006 were even more stacked in talent than your current national selection. Pound for pound I think there’s no discussion early 2000s you had better defense, absolutely star studded midfield and Rooney/Owen are no less talented than Kane.
I’d argue that the current squad is more balanced and the opposition is less fierce than 20 years ago, so even if not as talented, they are more likely to succeed.
I don’t agree at all, the current players are far superior to the ones 20 years ago.

MJay

He's a fantastic talent but 32 passes in 90 minutes as a deep playmaker is too low, that's something he would have to develop to become a great player in that position.
Was he playing as a deep playmaker though? It seemed like pure box to box, with an attacking tactical role.

Maticmaker

Destined for the United Pantheon of all time Greats, he is football wise beyond his years; everybody at the club knows this, let's hope they look after this diamond.

Bojan Djordjic

He's a fantastic talent but 32 passes in 90 minutes as a deep playmaker is too low, that's something he would have to develop to become a great player in that position.
Not sure its his fault. I've noticed at United they tend to avoid passing to the new kids (Hojlund is suffering from the same thing) until it becomes unavoidable - which is ironic as Mainoo is definitely our most technically secure midfielder under pressure. It's like players have been hardwired from playing with McFred type midfields to believe that unless your midfielder is in acres of space, avoid passing to them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not sure its his fault. I've noticed at United they tend to avoid passing to the new kids (Hojlund is suffering from the same thing) until it becomes unavoidable - which is ironic as Mainoo is definitely our most technically secure midfielder under pressure. It's like players have been hardwired from playing with McFred type midfields to believe that unless your midfielder is in acres of space, avoid passing to them.
In fairness, as good as Mainoo is he had that one horror show where he lost the ball as last man deep in midfield and the opposition scored. Even the best young players can benefit from being shielded from some of the responsibility. It's not just about how he plays now, it's about how he develops into a great player over his career.

Ref Hojlund I don't think it's unwillingness to pass to him, I just think the forwards don't play well together as a team. It's normal that understanding between them should increase as the season goes on though which is hopefully what we're starting to see now.

glasgow 21

Mainoo for sure looks the real deal but only time will tell if he is truly class. When the money comes flying into the bank account it can drain players desire and work ethic, only time will tell. One thing is for sure he has the calm head and the talent to succeed.

Theo88

Was he playing as a deep playmaker though? It seemed like pure box to box, with an attacking tactical role.

He looked like Bellingham lite in my eyes but i might be overly excited after that goal.

He is only 18 it makes sense to be a bit timid playing next to senior players. At some point when he realises he can do what they do better he will probably and hopefully take over the midfield

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Surely Bellingham/Rice have the England central midfield wrapped up for the next decade?