Is Marco Verratti's star fading?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Kimmich and Thiago is entirely too soft to deal with PSG. Goretzka has to start. Don't see why Pavard will start.
We've deployed that combo for a good part of the year. Didn't go wrong a single time. Every combination has its up and downsides. For maximum control of the ball in the middle this combo is hard to beat, at the cost of verticality.
Not saying it will happen, but wouldn't be surprised either if it did.
Pavard acts as an actual RB. That cannot always be said about Kimmich

RooneyLegend

Kimmich has a tendancy to play far too high sometimes, the WC with Germany being the worst he can do. It had some tough moment against Lyon, if he does the same thing against PSG with Mbappe behind his back it's going to be pretty hard to handle. Pavard will stay a little lower and will help Bayern deal with Mbappé/Neymar because they're very active on the left wing.

But I agree with you, Goretzka has been great I think he'll start (it's just an intuition)
Well, if the whole defence will advance up the pitch even when opposition players are in space it won't really matter who's playing right back. Not like Pavard has great pace himself. I'd start Kimmich cause nothing tells me PSG will struggle to score in the game, but Kimmich would aid the effort of outscoring PSG cause of his attacking prowess.

RooneyLegend

We've deployed that combo for a good part of the year. Didn't go wrong a single time. Every combination has its up and downsides. For maximum control of the ball in the middle this combo is hard to beat, at the cost of verticality.
Not saying it will happen, but wouldn't be surprised either if it did.
Pavard acts as an actual RB. That cannot always be said about Kimmich
This game is different to all those games. There's a Neymar around and that's a danger to any midfield combination especially one without the ability to deal with him 1 v 1. He took a liking to the Atalanta midfielders and pretty much toyed with them at every corner. It would be asking for trouble. Throw Goretzka in there to deal with him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Completely false, he's had great performances vs the likes of Barcelona and Liverpool.
Liverpool wasn't a knockout game. But he did have a great game against Chelsea when down to 10 men.

RooneyLegend

Liverpool wasn't a knockout game. But he did have a great game against Chelsea when down to 10 men.
It was still a huge game cause the group was tight and very competitive against the Europeans champions of that season who are also known as one of the best pressing sides. He put on a clinic.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That was one of the best central midfielder performances I've seen. Down to 10 men, away at Stamford Bridge, against Fabregas and Matic, and, along with Pastore, they still completely controlled the game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was one of the best central midfielder performances I've seen. Down to 10 men, away at Stamford Bridge, against Fabregas and Matic, and, along with Pastore, they still completely controlled the game.
To be fair it was against Mourinho's whimpy tactics

Cloud7

That was one of the best ten man performances I've ever seen. And yeah, him and Pastore were brilliant that game. One of the more memorable matches overall in recent years.

Yagami

Good post resistant
To be fair it was against Mourinho's whimpy tactics
Very true!

Still, I believe that was Chelsea's title winning season where everyone thought they/José were going to dominate English football for a long time off the back of it, so to control the game in said circumstances then was very impressive.
That was one of the best ten man performances I've ever seen. And yeah, him and Pastore were brilliant that game. One of the more memorable matches overall in recent years.
Have to give a shoutout to Motta, too. All 3 were superb.

I remember after the game Rooney on Twitter was saying that's the best he's ever seen a 10 man team play, and I had to agree.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Verratti was poor in plenty of elimination games for PSG, but then, that was when PSG were atrocious as a team

And often one of their best players otherwise

That Chelsea-PSG game was a BIG indictment of the quality of the PL at the time

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Verratti was poor in plenty of elimination games for PSG, but then, that was when PSG were atrocious as a team

That's, to me, the last step in order to be able to consider Verretti a top top midfielder. He doesn't particularly disapear in big games more than the rest of the team, he's even often one of the best (like the 2nd leg against Real Madrid before his red card) but he doesn't really have this ability to completely chance the pace of a game when things aren't going well. If he manages to do that, he'll truely be one of the best.

RooneyLegend

When was he poor? I swear you guys make stuff up in here.

RooneyLegend

That's, to me, the last step in order to be able to consider Verretti a top top midfielder. He doesn't particularly disapear in big games more than the rest of the team, he's even often one of the best (like the 2nd leg against Real Madrid before his red card) but he doesn't really have this ability to completely chance the pace of a game when things aren't going well. If he manages to do that, he'll truely be one of the best.
With him imo it's more he doesn't know how to influence the smaller games where the opposition have no interest in pressing him thus not opening themselves up to his ability in tight spaces. His passing isn't particularly dangerous from the base of midfield which when PSG plays a low block team he can seem like he's not up to much.

Imo that's the difference between him and Thiago who can hurt teams regardless of how they play because of his passing. Playing a low block against him is dangerous as it was when playing against Pirlo.

Doubting him in big games is crazy. He's dished up the likes of performances no one else really can. I remember a Barca game where under their ridiculous high press he was juggling the ball with his head in his own box.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
With him imo it's more he doesn't know how to influence the smaller games where the opposition have no interest in pressing him thus not opening themselves up to his ability in tight spaces. His passing isn't particularly dangerous from the base of midfield which when PSG plays a low block team he can seem like he's not up to much.

Imo that's the difference between him and Thiago who can hurt teams regardless of how they play because of his passing. Playing a low block against him is dangerous as it was when playing against Pirlo.

Doubting him in big games is crazy. He's dished up the likes of performances no one else really can. I remember a Barca game where under their ridiculous high press he was juggling the ball with his head in his own box.

Yeah, Thiago is more dangerous close to the box while Verratti really shines when he's pressed. No doubt in my mind he's the more pressure resistant midfielder in the world. There's no other player that can take the ball 20m from his goal a slither his way through the pressure without breaking a sweat. It's crazy when you think his insane risky dribbles in this area never caused a single goal for PSG.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Outright poor, Barcelona-PSG 6-1, PSG-Real Madrid 1-2, Chelsea-PSG 2-0

Not good, PSG-Manchester United 1-3
He isn't poor in the PSG-Real Madrid game, he's actually the only one playing close to his level his level. It's his red card that spoils his game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He isn't poor in the PSG-Real Madrid game, he's actually the only one playing close to his level his level. It's his red card that spoils his game.
He was dominated along with the rest of PSG and put the final nail in the coffin with the red card

I'd consider that a poor performance

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Playing a low block against him is dangerous as it was when playing against Pirlo.
You mean isn't dangerous as it was against Pirlo...?

I disagree though that he's not dangerous against a low block. He's not Pirlo, or indeed Thiago(though in his case it's more his dynamism and ability to drive and run into and through the defence with short combinations that makes him dangerous), but he's still very good at spotting and picking up runners and getting the ball onto dangerous areas or and to the right players

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He was dominated along with the rest of PSG and put the final nail in the coffin with the red card

Nope, i watched the game again a couple of weeks ago, Verratti was actually more than decent. He was actually the only good thing going on for PSG.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nope, i watched the game again a couple of weeks ago, Verratti was actually more than decent. He was actually the only good thing going on for PSG.
Wow. A true fan :drool:

In fact, we were good at the start of the game in terms of possession thanks to Verratti but I can name 5 or 6 players who were worst.
Neymar injured.
Cavani/Mbappe locked.
Rabiot-di maria no comments.
Dani Alves gave you a goal.
etc.

No mobility at all.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Veratti is the only player I've seen simply boss our midfield since we turned good under Klopp. Hendo had no idea what he was up against that day.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Was looking through fbref stats for the final and well

In 64 minutes, Paredes completed 21 of 28 passes and progressed the ball for a total of 188 meters

In 26 minutes Verratti completed 13 of 15 passes and progressed the ball for 180 meters

Paredes passes lead to 1 dangerous attacking situation for PSG, Verratti's lead to 2

Now i don't want to jump to conclusions because small sample and game states and yadda yadda...BUT I WILL

PSG would be european champions if he were fit to play the full 90 minutes :D

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would've loved to have seen Thiago and a fit, inform Verratti go at it.
Probably the major what could have been in the tie.

romufc

I think alot of us dont watch Verratti play on the regular so only judge him on UCL games.

He has the ability to control games and dictate play, he is a special talent.

He is the sort of player you just love to watch play.

cyberman

I think alot of us dont watch Verratti play on the regular so only judge him on UCL games.

He has the ability to control games and dictate play, he is a special talent.

He is the sort of player you just love to watch play.
Hes injured or suspended for most CL games, I cant even see what you judge hin on there

romufc

Hes injured or suspended for most CL games, I cant even see what you judge hin on there
I don't, I have seen enough of him to know he is a very good player. I would take him in my midfield all day.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thought this would've been bumped after yesterday.

Has had a terribly underwhelming career in the end - assuming his prime has come and gone, of course.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Thought this would've been bumped after yesterday.

Has had a terribly underwhelming career in the end - assuming his prime has come and gone, of course.
It's funny almost no one is talking about his 2 screw ups yesterday costing them at least a good chance to go through.

Blood Mage

He's still got time left, Modric is still bossing midfields at 37 after all, but he needs to leave PSG. The French league is where players go to die, he has stagnated badly just like Neymar has and like Mbappe will too if he doesn't move to a more competitive league soon.

KeanoMagicHat

Have heard that off the field he’s not the most model pro. That whole club is a basket case but him more than anyone could do with getting out of Paris and refreshing somewhere else.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Firstly he needs to stay fit. Then playing in a functioning team with a proper manager and not a collection of players with the same shirt would help. I saw him a lot under Tuchel and when fit & in form he's borderline unplayable so I rate him a lot - still do - but he's a difficult case since he clearly needs a focused environment to focus himself as he has that circus trait. Yesterday was ridiculous and humiliating of course.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He's still got time left, Modric is still bossing midfields at 37 after all, but he needs to leave PSG. The French league is where players go to die, he has stagnated badly just like Neymar has and like Mbappe will too if he doesn't move to a more competitive league soon.
He just renewed 2 months ago until 2026, but agreed it's a shame he didn't try another club after all those debacles.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hasn’t taken good care of himself. Back when Thiago, Pogba and Verratti were coming up, I was firmly in the belief that Verratti was the best of the 3. He was great to watch.

BerryBerryShrew

Hasn’t taken good care of himself. Back when Thiago, Pogba and Verratti were coming up, I was firmly in the belief that Verratti was the best of the 3. He was great to watch.
Being fair, you were right - he has been the best player of the three. But all of them underperformed relative to their potential.

KeanoMagicHat

Firstly he needs to stay fit. Then playing in a functioning team with a proper manager and not a collection of players with the same shirt would help. I saw him a lot under Tuchel and when fit & in form he's borderline unplayable so I rate him a lot - still do - but he's a difficult case since he clearly needs a focused environment to focus himself as he has that circus trait. Yesterday was ridiculous and humiliating of course.
It’s probably not a complete coincidence that Verratti and Neymar are often not fit considering their off the field antics.