Is Marco Verratti's star fading?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought he looked incredible when he first broke onto the seen but I consider him a bit of a joke these days. Clearly talented and useful but a shadow of what I expected of him.

pacifictheme

Made a mistake joining psg, or maybe it was exactly what he wanted because it never really pushed him. Absolutely wasted his talent there either way.

Gandalf

I'm not sure why (obviously PL fans) assume the elixir for a player's career is for them to go to the PL and tussle with the Brightons of the world.
Not sure in this case anyone is saying PL specifically, any top league outside France would do and more importantly a club with an environment that is focused on football and less on the celebrity culture, player power and the Paris nightlife.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
Should have gone to Barca a few years ago as Xavi successor.
He would have learned to play real football. And he would have spent a lot of time on the bench every time he would have kept the ball too long again .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He bossed it at the euros and that's all that matters

Vapor trail

Wasted his career at PSG could have had the same type of influence Modric has had in his career. Goes down as one of the best midfielders of this generation if not the best, with Iniesta / Xavi of the previous generation.

SparkedIntoLife

I’d say he and a few others (Ramos, Messi, Neymar) are at the end of the cycle at PSG. PSG were smart in appointing Luis Campos to lead their transfer strategy as I think he’ll focus more on players to suit the system as opposed to stars (and it seems the owners have finally ceded this point). PSG have already produced cracking youngsters that have shone at other clubs but now it’s time to keep and integrate the best ones. Zaire-Emery, El Chadaille Bitshiabu and Gharbi look really promising.

Add this to Campos’ eye for talent, I think PSG could go the next step within the next 3 or 4 years.

I don’t think Verratti is done. Far from it. His type of midfielder tends to age slower and I feel he desperately needs a new challenge and to work in a squad that functions better than the current PSG which over indulges its very talented but defensively porous front 3.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm not sure how folks in here figure "he wasted his career". His won everything but the big ears at PSG. Plus at international helped boss the rest of Europe as Italy won an unlikely Euros triumph. I fail to see how that amount's to " a wasted/dissapointing career".... Sane goes double for Thiago. Can't believe any one actually believes he has not delivered on his potential. Given how he has battled through injury issues through out....

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm not sure how folks in here figure "he wasted his career". His won everything but the big ears at PSG. Plus at international helped boss the rest of Europe as Italy won an unlikely Euros triumph. I fail to see how that amount's to " a wasted/dissapointing career".... Sane goes double for Thiago. Can't believe any one actually believes he has not delivered on his potential. Given how he has battled through injury issues through out....
Because for some fans it seems the CL is the only trophy that matters. Some in here even thought Cantona didnt end his career on his high because he never won a CL.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
"Wasted his career" is massive hyperbole of course but winning multiple national trophies with PSG (after the Qataris came) isn't impressive but should be the norm. But he was (still is imho) an elite player from an early age on so not seeing him that often in decisive matches against other stacked heavyweights certainly pulls his image a bit down - as well as being on the losing side more often than not in those matches. The way he played against Bayern during second leg is inexcusable for a player of his calibre though.

Anyway, very unfortunate with his injuries.

Kag

He spent his best years at PSG. That gives you a few pieces of silverware and a healthy bank balance, but it does nothing to increase your long term standing in the game. He probably doesn’t care about that, in fairness.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Would be a nice alternative to De Jong.
His injury problems would give me the jitters about signing him but he's been a brilliant player. He's looked a bit off the boil this season when I've watched PSG in the league though, on top of his poor showing mid-week. @Sayros @JPRouve @Oly Francis is there any talk of him being in poor form and/or possible decline?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Because for some fans it seems the CL is the only trophy that matters. Some in here even thought Cantona didnt end his career on his high because he never won a CL.
Indeed. I find it rather delusional. Players aim for trophy laden careers and this lad has a trophy laden career in a top 5 league and an international trophy with his country. He comfortably has both.

Hoof the ball

Hold up.

Wasn't there a thing that happened about 5-6 years ago when Verratti was dead set on the leaving for months and months, and then something happened where seemingly overnight he changed his tune?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm not sure why (obviously PL fans) assume the elixir for a player's career is for them to go to the PL and tussle with the Brightons of the world.
The closest he ever got to leaving PSG was Barça and I'm not sure there's been many mentions of the PL but it's ok I'm sure you and your strawman will have a great weekend.
Have heard that off the field he’s not the most model pro. That whole club is a basket case but him more than anyone could do with getting out of Paris and refreshing somewhere else.
That's quite the understatement. It's an open secret in Paris and amongst Paris based sports journalists that he spends most of his nights out smoking, drinking, and is quite popular in the nightclub scene. There's a sort of omerta behind it, probably because they all get favours from the club they wouldn't otherwise, but PSG fans sometimes pretend that it's bad luck that he's often missed key matches in the season (same goes for Neymar), even though it's just down to a lack of professionalism and, to an extent, to the management at the club that enable this player power structure.

Jeffthered

Verrati is a superb footballer, but his situation highlights a significant change in the game, and that's the adverse influence (and consequence) of these ridiculous contracts, and the celebrity nature of players. Football talent is now hyped up by a salacious football industry, every month another player is 'unbelievable...' and therefore, playing is no longer about achievement, or loyalty, or connection with fans. It's strictly business.

PSG will not bring the best out of any player, until they forget cash, cash, cash, and focus on football. That team and how they play, should reflect the city... packed, busy, somewhat arrogant, but beautiful, fulfilling, historic, fascinating, and at times contradictory... but all v French, heavily, heavily informed by a hungry, marginilised group of people from the banlieu. Playing PSG away should be a nightmare for the opposition, they should play like France did in the second half of the World Cup final... rough, rugged, powerful, skillful, brilliant, pacy, explosive.

All they do now is slosh around in cash, and have turned fantastic players into lazy duds.

Verrati is a consequence of all that... but his next club will be getting a top player. Superb.

saivet

Hold up.

Wasn't there a thing that happened about 5-6 years ago when Verratti was dead set on the leaving for months and months, and then something happened where seemingly overnight he changed his tune?
Yeah, he wanted to go to Barca and his agent said he wanted to leave. He then made an apology video.

PSG also ended up signing Neymar that summer from Barca too

Hoof the ball

Yeah, he wanted to go to Barca and his agent said he wanted to leave. He then made an apology video.

PSG also ended up signing Neymar that summer from Barca too
Apology video. :lol:

If that ain't some sketchy bullshit, I don't know what is. Al Thani on the other end of the camera with a silencer?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
His injury problems would give me the jitters about signing him but he's been a brilliant player. He's looked a bit off the boil this season when I've watched PSG in the league though, on top of his poor showing mid-week. @Sayros @JPRouve @Oly Francis is there any talk of him being in poor form and/or possible decline?
That's a very strange one. He's having a bad season, the worst of his carreer, and looks very off since december. Nobody really knows why since he wasn't even at the world cup but he has lost the edge he had that made him almost invicible when he had the ball in his feet. I'm really scratching my head to explain it because I don't know the reason, it was very sudden. I don't know if it's psychological, physical or else, nobody does.

Verrati is a superb footballer, but his situation highlights a significant change in the game, and that's the adverse influence (and consequence) of these ridiculous contracts, and the celebrity nature of players. Football talent is now hyped up by a salacious football industry, every month another player is 'unbelievable...' and therefore, playing is no longer about achievement, or loyalty, or connection with fans. It's strictly business.

PSG will not bring the best out of any player, until they forget cash, cash, cash, and focus on football. That team and how they play, should reflect the city... packed, busy, somewhat arrogant, but beautiful, fulfilling, historic, fascinating, and at times contradictory... but all v French, heavily, heavily informed by a hungry, marginilised group of people from the banlieu. Playing PSG away should be a nightmare for the opposition, they should play like France did in the second half of the World Cup final... rough, rugged, powerful, skillful, brilliant, pacy, explosive.

All they do now is slosh around in cash, and have turned fantastic players into lazy duds.

Verrati is a consequence of all that... but his next club will be getting a top player. Superb.
I think it's total BS when we talk about Verratti. He was always well paid at PSG, and always gave his all on the pitch no matter what. It might be true about some players, not Verratti who finishes every game exhausted.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Probably a byproduct of all those cigs he knocks back
He's almost constantly the player that covers the most distance on the pitch, often the 1st in recoveries, absolute elite in ball progression, so no.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Being fair, you were right - he has been the best player of the three. But all of them underperformed relative to their potential.

I will say of all 3 Thiago Verratti and Pogba

Pogba is the best and has the best career too with Vera's being the worst

The only title he won the Euros he was a bit part player. Thiago can point to Bayern CL win and Pogba the 2018 world cup and his time at Juve

KeanoMagicHat

The only title he won the Euros he was a bit part player. Thiago can point to Bayern CL win and Pogba the 2018 world cup and his time at Juve
That's nonsense, he was one of their best players, starting in a key role, once he came back from missing the first two games through injury. He had more key passes than any other player in the tournament. He was great against England and Belgium in particular.

In the Euro final:

No Italy player made more tackles or recovered possession more often.
He had 94% pass accuracy
He completed 111 passes
He had 133 touches
England had only 34% possession because he dominated them

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That's a very strange one. He's having a bad season, the worst of his carreer, and looks very off since december. Nobody really knows why since he wasn't even at the world cup but he has lost the edge he had that made him almost invicible when he had the ball in his feet. I'm really scratching my head to explain it because I don't know the reason, it was very sudden. I don't know if it's psychological, physical or else, nobody does.
Thanks mate. He's probably my favourite midfielder to watch apart from Modric (and Casemiro of course) so hopefully this is just a blip rather than a full-blown decline.

Oranges038

Hold up.

Probably his bank balance magically increased.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

What :lol: :lol: :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's nonsense, he was one of their best players, starting in a key role, once he came back from missing the first two games through injury. He had more key passes than any other player in the tournament. He was great against England and Belgium in particular.

In the Euro final:

He had 94% pass accuracy
He completed 111 passes
He had 133 touches
And he was directly involved in our goal too. Think he had the assist

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

In the Euro final:

He had 94% pass accuracy
He completed 111 passes
He had 133 touches

Italy played 720mins to win the Euros. Verratti played 401mins which is 55% of minutes played

90 of those 401 minutes was in the inconsequential 3rd group stage game when most of the regulars were dropped

He was subbed out of all their important matches.
You can name 6 to 7 players more key to Italys win without mentioning Verratti

That's what a bit part player looks like

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Italy played 720mins to win the Euros. Verratti played 401mins which is 55% of minutes played

90 of those 401 minutes was in the inconsequential 3rd group stage game when most of the regulars were dropped

He played 55% of minutes and yet created more chances than anyone else in the tournament.

He had an assist against Belgium and was the one who shot on the post in the final for the Italian goal (with a header, while being 1m67).

Him being subbed out after recovering from a knee injury doesn't prove anything, especially since he's a tiny guy running constantly.

So no, I highly doubt you could name 6 to 7 players that were more important.

KeanoMagicHat

You simply don’t understand what a bit part player is. A bit part player is a substitute that comes on 3 times for 20 minutes. Not a key player who is one of the best players in a final.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah no way was a bit part player. He was class whenever he played.