Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

el3mel

Oh look, another player getting ridiculously hated and insulted by Caf like Lukaku just because he dared to talk about something not positive.

The only thing this proves is players don't have much respect for Ole in the dressing room and know that he's a dead man walking, something we all know anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh look, another player getting ridiculously hated and insulted by Caf like Lukaku just because he dared to talk about something not positive.

The only thing this proves is players don't have much respect for Ole in the dressing room and know that he's a dead man walking, something we all know anyway.
Or more likely becuase he's been trash and doesn't deserve to start.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Matic had no reservations because he knew that others before him had done the same and they did not receive any kind of disciplinary punishment. This is the core of the issue here. The club chose not to make it clear that the only authority which can pass judgement on the manager is the board. Pogba liked posts which were welcoming his move to Madrid, Shaw liked posts made from his siblings that were slating Mourinho, Martial did exactly the same thing as Matic and nothing happened. They are all first-team regulars, this was their reward.

As for the fans, i think that they should not be OK with players crucifying the manager openly no matter what or whoever the manager is. Especially when said players have played their part into turning Manchester United into a midtable club. All of them. Otherwise, we should all agree that Lukaku was 100% right when he stated that there are favourites in our dressing room who can get away with murder while others will always be hanged out to dry.

But for some strange reason, our fanbase felt extremely hurt when Lukaku made such assertions. It seems he might have had a point, after all.
I don't buy the idea Shaw liking a post against a manager who had publicly belittled him and Pogba's media team giving a bit out to Jose is exactly the same as the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic moaning now they're out of favour here, at least in the eyes of fans. That's two players we'd like to see starting matches for us this year angry at their treatment at the hands of a manager many of us were happy to see the back of versus two who have regressed alarmingly and one who couldn't get his conditioning right wondering aloud why they found themselves out of the team. Your points about the club's actions and Lukaku's mentioning of divisions in our dressing room are well-made, I doubt anyone could argue everything's been ideal at the club recently, but it's only natural fans would in the end be more accepting of dissent from the likes of Pogba, Shaw and Martial than Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic; different circumstances, different expectations as to our hopes for them this season.

As I said I agree Matic is free to say what he likes, the comments are not high treason and in fact can be read as a positive attitude from a player unhappy with being out of the team. But notwithstanding your general point about player power I don't see what the words of a player who has done nothing for us on the pitch for a good while are meant to mean one way or the other, and we as a fanbase are now pretty sick of hearing words from blokes who've not been doing enough in a red shirt and almost certainly won't be doing so in the future.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wish he's just like Rojo and Sanchez. Keep quite by collecting wages and playing shite.

Ban

So I guess players should all start talking to the press. Also he's not a dead man walking, to say everybody knows that is a bit silly too.

poleglass red

Sad but it's where we are in this particular time. Shite players issuing rallying calls if that's even what it is. Back in the day we had players like Keano issuing these and we took it because he busted his balls game in game out. Here we have a player who wanders back when opposition teams midfielders fly past him, doesn't get stuck into tackles despite his size. I guess he sees himself as a senior pro amongst a fairly inexperienced squad. I see it as a player whose been pure shite bar a couple of months when he first came, who should be booted out the door in Jan. I'd play Romero in mid than this waste of space. I'd imagine there is some twisting of what he actually said and in what context, but the fact he has spoken to Ole about being dropped is quite startling. He's past it, never was quick enough for the type of team we are aspiring to be so I don't see how he thinks he should start.

Lee565

Should have offloaded him like many others still at the club, I could have been with writing this season off completely and giving Solskjear the benefit of the doubt had it been done, instead we are left matic as our only defensive midfielder.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I don't buy the idea Shaw liking a post against a manager who had publicly belittled him and Pogba's media team giving a bit out to Jose is exactly the same as the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic moaning now they're out of favour here, at least in the eyes of fans. That's two players we'd like to see starting matches for us this year angry at their treatment at the hands of a manager many of us were happy to see the back of versus two who have regressed alarmingly and one who couldn't get his conditioning right wondering aloud why they found themselves out of the team. Your points about the club's actions and Lukaku having a point about divisions in our dressing room are well-made, I doubt anyone could argue everything's been ideal at the club recently, but it's only natural fans would in the end be more accepting of dissent from the likes of Pogba, Shaw and Martial than Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic; different circumstances, different expectations as to our hopes for them this season.

As I said I agree Matic is free to say what he likes, the comments are not high treason and in fact can be read as a positive attitude from a player unhappy with being out of the team. But notwithstanding your general point about player power I don't see what the words of a player who has done nothing for us on the pitch for a good while are meant to mean one way or the other, and we as a fanbase are now pretty sick of hearing words from blokes who've not been doing enough in a red shirt and almost certainly won't be doing so in the future.
Then our fans should also not moan if/when these players decide to sit on their fat contracts and show little to no progress throughout their careers or if/when these players openly discuss on social media their desire to move to better places. In my opinion double standards, whatever the circumstances and whoever the people involved, will always create more problems than the ones they will solve.

I have no love for Lukaku, i think Sanchez is done at this level and i believe that Matic's best days are behind him. But if everyone else has the right to criticize the manager, then so do they. It's not like the first-teamers we have in the squad kick managers out of the club and then go on to win league titles and CL trophies. The "privilege" to be above criticism can only derive from what you have offered as a player (if we admit that this privilege is inevitable). If players like Martial, Pogba and Shaw can behave like that while we are wallowing in midtable mediocrity simply because they're young and promising, then Matic can say whatever he wants too.

Shaw should have gone to the board and then Mou's behaviour should have changed in the following weeks. This is what organizations who function properly do. There should be fines for any post/comment/like/whatever... on social media that creates problem to the club by drawing unnecessary attention. And the fanbase should demand of everyone to tow the line, follow the plan and keep their mouths and their tablets/iPhones shut until the club gets back to where it belongs instead of electing who among them has a better right or excuse to criticize the manager.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Almost every one of Mourinhos signing will eventually fail it seams. What a disaster of a spell we had under Joe... can't be underestimated.

And people think Ole is limited. You have old 30 year old disruptive midfielders in your squad spewing crap. Send him to the reserves.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well, there is. He's an option from the bench, granted not a great one. Or if one of McTominay or Pogba gets injured. We can't just sell all of our players without replacing them.
I disagree. I'd rather Fred was given a chance, or play more with a diamond shape. I think he offers absolutely feck all when he does play (I don't even mean from a stats POV, just in general he does nothing that helps the team) and while I was all for his signing a few years ago, we should be getting rid. Get it done in January and buy a replacement.

Leif GW

Matic bringing some reality into Ole's world.

Never liked him, though. Always slowed down the pace and took too many touches even when he was supposed to be good. Very annoying to watch.

youngrell

Prefer this to him being happy to sit on the bench. I don't think he's tried to undermine the manager, because otherwise why mention he's spoken to Ole about it already? It will not be news to Ole, and I'm sure he'll be happy to have out of favour players trying to prove themselves deserving of a place in the team.

Ole90+3

I disagree. I'd rather Fred was given a chance, or play more with a diamond shape. I think he offers absolutely feck all when he does play (I don't even mean from a stats POV, just in general he does nothing that helps the team) and while I was all for his signing a few years ago, we should be getting rid. Get it done in January and buy a replacement.
Buying a replacement being the key part there. At the minute he has a purpose in the squad. We actually played better after his introduction on the weekend since it allowed Pogba to push up a bit further, although I think the team pushing up as a whole was what played the biggest part in us looking more threatening after Southampton scored.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Then our fans should also not moan if/when these players decide to sit on their fat contracts and show little to no progress throughout their careers or if/when these players openly discuss on social media their desire to move to better places. In my opinion double standards, whatever the circumstances and whoever the people involved, will always create more problems than the ones they will solve.

I have no love for Lukaku, i think Sanchez is done at this level and i believe that Matic's best days are behind him. But if everyone else has the right to criticize the manager, then so do they. It's not like the first-teamers we have in the squad kick managers out of the club and then go on to win league titles and CL trophies. The "privilege" to be above criticism can only derive from what you have offered as a player (if we admit that this privilege is inevitable). If players like Martial, Pogba and Shaw can behave like that while we are wallowing in midtable mediocrity simply because they're young and promising, then Matic can say whatever he wants too.

Shaw should have gone to the board and then Mou's behaviour should have changed in the following weeks. This is what organizations who function properly do. There should be fines for any post/comment/like/whatever... on social media that creates problem to the club by drawing unnecessary attention. And the fanbase should demand of everyone to toe the line, follow the plan and keep their mouths and their tablets/iPhones shut until the club gets back to where it belongs instead of electing who among them has a better right or excuse to criticize the manager.
Understood. It is right that any soundings off from inside the camp are unwelcome, and that the club and fans tolerating them from some while not from others (when nobody is pulling up trees) is asking for trouble later on. However I've got no comments to make on how the club and the fans should ideally react to player dissent, I'm talking about the reality of the situation from the perspective of United fans. Pogba's conduct has caused hot debate, with points being made for and against on Pogba v Jose and his place in the team going forward, Shaw we have doubts over but we're largely happy with as our LB going forward and Martial is our best number nine. I wouldn't say any of them have had a completely free pass, not least Pogba who has been bagged online, in the media and at OT itself, but most fans can see their value if we are to avoid complete disaster on the pitch this year so what happened largely under Jose's tenure has been parked despite them struggling in our first team.

On the other hand we have why oh why comments from three blokes who were dropped from the same struggling team due to their own failings. Again I agree no dissenting remarks are good, putting up with some but not all can lead to difficulties and all the people we're discussing are multimillionaires who are essentially pissing in our faces but there is no mystery for me why Pogba, Martial and Shaw's situations are debated and to a certain degree tolerated while Lukaku, Sanchez and to a lesser extent Matic are laughed out of the building.

Irrational.

He's a burnt out dinosaur of a midfielder anyway who has the turning circle of a blue whale. Will be happy to see the back of him in Jan.

SirAF

Ageist
Can’t see how Matic has said anything wrong there. No player wants to be on the bench, but he respects the managers decision.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Matic can feck off.
There is no place for any player who goes out against the management like that, especially someone over the hill who isn't even good enough to start games.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can’t see how Matic has said anything wrong there. No player wants to be on the bench, but he respects the managers decision.
The comments he made aren't bad in isolation. The stuff he liked on top of it, to me makes him someone we should get rid of as soon as possible.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Understood. It is right that any soundings off from inside the camp are unwelcome, and that the club and fans tolerating them from some while not from others (when nobody is pulling up trees) is asking for trouble later on. However I've got no comments to make on how the club and the fans should ideally react to player dissent, I'm talking about the reality of the situation from the perspective of United fans. Pogba's conduct has caused hot debate, with points being made for and against on Pogba v Jose and his place in the team going forward, Shaw we have doubts over but we're largely happy with as our LB going forward and Martial is our best number nine. I wouldn't say any of them have had a completely free pass, not least Pogba who has been bagged online, in the media and at OT itself, but most fans can see their value if we are to avoid complete disaster on the pitch this year so what happened largely under Jose's tenure has been parked despite them struggling in our first team.

On the other hand we have why oh why comments from three blokes who were dropped from the same struggling team due to their own failings. Again I agree no dissenting remarks are good, putting up with some but not all can lead to difficulties and all the people we're discussing are multimillionaires who are essentially pissing in our faces but there is no mystery for me why Pogba, Martial and Shaw's situations are debated and to a certain degree tolerated while Lukaku, Sanchez and to a lesser extent Matic are laughed out of the building.
I hear you. These three are more vocal now because they know that their time at United was/is up and they try to big up themselves in their search for new employers. I also understand why our fanbase will be more lenient towards Martial, Pogba and several others. But when a club is a mess like the one we're in at the moment, this is a very thin line to tread by the fans.

For example, the whole Pogba vs Mourinho debacle started with Pogba's role on the pitch and was blown out of proportions when it went viral on social media. It became a problem for the club which chose to do nothing. The fanbase was wholeheartedly on Pogba's side (tired from Mourinho's antics and his bad football, that much is true) and tolerated the schism because it would see Mourinho fired in the end. When Pogba liked a post which claimed that he, among others, sacked Mourinho, the fans saw nothing wrong with it. And here we are, a year later, with Pogba in the same tactical role on the pitch and with the team struggling to find its footing. Who guarantees that Pogba won't do the same and push Ole out?

I honestly don't know how we should react. What i can tell you is that the relationship between the fans and the players creates an aura around the club which can be very powerful. There's this feeling around OT that as long as you're young & promising, you will get as many chances as you want. I'm not suggesting that we should become like the RM fans who demand heads to roll whenever their team has a bad month but i do feel that we're moving towards the polar opposite of that. We can be happy with Martial & Shaw while at the same time pointing out when their behaviour isn't appropriate whenever they cross the line. Not the racist bullshite and the emotional reactions after a bad game. We don't need any attention caused by Martial's shirt number: If the manager decided to give #9 to a superstar, suck it up, score 20 goals and take it back. We don't need any attention caused by Shaw's family members: You were mistreated Luke but get your act together and stop hiding behind your sister. We don't need any attention caused by Pogba's self-importance: Think if you can lead the team to CL qualification Paul the next time your stir dust about the manager. We don't do that, we're giving them too much space to breathe because we're willing to accept the manager as the main vilain. Is there any correlation between this lenience and the very little progress most of them have shown? Don't know but i can't swear that there isn't either.

SirAF

Ageist
The comments he made aren't bad in isolation. The stuff he liked on top of it, to me makes him someone we should get rid of as soon as possible.
A like on Instagram could easily be a mistake though. That said, Matic is over the hill and not needed regardless.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
A like on Instagram could easily be a mistake though. That said, Matic is over the hill and not needed regardless.
Could easily be a mistake to like something completely unrelated to his situation at the club or his stance. I find any excuse that "it was an accident" surrounding a players future or stance to be extremely unlikely at any club, to the point where I ignore that possibility.

SirAF

Ageist
Could easily be a mistake to like something completely unrelated to his situation at the club or his stance. I find any excuse that "it was an accident" surrounding a players future or stance to be extremely unlikely at any club, to the point where I ignore that possibility.
Maybe, maybe not. With all due respect I think you are wearing your Noggie glasses here :)

Amerifan

I get where Matic is coming from: no player wants to be on the bench watching the last years of his career pass by.

That said, he should never like a post where the poster says he is coming to hate his manager. Matic should have defended Ole instead of agreeing with the guy. All I can guess is he knows he’s on his way out, and at this point doesn’t care about expressing his true feelings. But I think will hurt his chances of a move, because character plays a part in many club’s decision making process.

Bad move.

Reactions: Ødegaard

flappyjay

Another mentally weak player who would rather run their mouth than prove how good they are with their performances. Them two are not the first man united players to get benched. Difference is that most get their head down and work hard

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Another mentally weak player who would rather run their mouth than prove how good they are with their performances. Them two are not the first man united players to get benched. Difference is that most get their head down and work hard
Not even the best example but compare this to players like Martial when benched. His attitude was questioned but that guy just kept working and won his place back. And then we have players who are praised for their mentality, who couldn't wait to cry in the media when benched.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

feck me.

We have people like this supporting the club.

flappyjay

Not even the best example but compare this to players like Martial when benched. His attitude was questioned but that guy just kept working and won his place back. And then we have players who are praised for their mentality, who couldn't wait to cry in the media when benched.
Actually that's exactly what I was thinking.

Hip Hop

Matic gets a lot of stick but is he really worst than Mctominay? I can understand his frustration when you see the mediocre work put by the scottish on the field, i mean it's not like he was replaced by Kante...

Now the way he criticized the manager it's poor i reckon.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Matic is too harshly criticised imo. He should be starting every match and Pogba should be further up. Matic is a PL winner and the closest thing we have to an established DM.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's pretty easy to accidentally like ig comments. I do it all the time.

If we ever play 4-3-3 he simply has to start. He is literally our only proper defensive midfielder.

Greck

Too true. Perhaps these donkeys were led by Jose to believe the dross they were serving up every week was good enough. Seriously skewed their perception of what it takes to be a United player. I can't believe this guy and Lukaku sometimes. This is nothing compared to what the other players endured