Is Mou still 'The Special One' for you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

David Moyes, on the day of his appointment, arrived with little to no credentials to support his claim of being capable of managing a club of our size and stature. He was the Everton manager who never won anything in his career, had never managed larger than life characters who you would associate with a big club. In truth he was a nobody. A nobody entrusted with the everyday management of one of the biggest football clubs in the industry. And he inevitabley failed.

Jose Mourinho, the polar opposite in this case, came with a huge reputation. He had won everything there was to win. He had managed Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Real and led them all to varying degrees of success. He is a natural born winner and a true leader of men - very much in the mould of the great man himself SAF - the type of manager that commands your trust, your respect and your admiration. Why would you not give him time to work his magic?

David Moyes, through no fault of his own, did not warrant our faith. Jose Mourinho flat out commands it.

The 2 men are incomparable. Apples and oranges.
That's not the point here. Sammsky is claiming we should all agree with everything the manager says and does. Whoever the manager is. To not is to be arrogant and foolish.

So we're just seeing how far he goes with this theory, did it apply to Moyes, who might not be a patch on Mourinho but still knows more than the average poster.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's not the point here. Sammsky is claiming we should all agree with everything the manager says and does. Whoever the manager is. To not is to be arrogant and foolish.

So we're just seeing how far he goes with this theory, did it apply to Moyes, who might not be a patch on Mourinho but still knows more than the average poster.
You are now deliberately misconstruing what I wrote to make yourself feel better.

Quite bizarre you need such affirmation from a random bloke on the internet but anyways, do carry on.

Dobbs

You are now deliberately misconstruing what I wrote to make yourself feel better.

Quite bizarre you need such affirmation from a random bloke on the internet but anyways, do carry on.
You're enjoyably nuts. Makes the place interesting.

GM K

H
I don't get this as an excuse, Mourinho isn't responsible for the lack of goals ?

So if we would be conceding too many goals you would say if our defenders could defend we would be first, job wel done mourinho ?
How is a manager responsible for a top level player missing a sitter?

Yes, he is responsible if his tactics fail to produce scoring chances otherwise, we can't blame a manager for a blatant miss by a player who earns incredible wages for playing football.

GM K

H
I don't get this as an excuse, Mourinho isn't responsible for the lack of goals ?

So if we would be conceding too many goals you would say if our defenders could defend we would be first, job wel done mourinho ?

Yes, he is responsible if his tactics fail to produce scoring chances otherwise, we can't blame a manager for a blatant miss by a player who earns incredible wages for playing football.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I think you and a few others are being a little overscrupulous here.

He isn't saying you should agree with everything the manager says and does as that would defy our very nature as football fans and human beings in general, fickle as we are. He is simply saying we should have faith in Jose's tactical decisions based on the success it has brought himself and the clubs he has managed over the years. Moyes, on the other hand, simply does not.

The red panther

princess transfer emo

First of all not all chances are sitters

Second of all we can blame the manager for every and all persistent problems in the team as he should fix them. There a numerous things he could do to try and resolve the problem. Ultimatley if he doesn't get it resolved their will be only 1 thing the club can do to resolve it and that is changing the manager.

I'am not saying Mourinho is responsible for Pogba hitting the woodwork in a match. But if we have a persisting scoring problem he should figure it out and fix it. Just sitting there and hoping it will solve itself can be a valid option but if that doesn't happen than it is still his problem as he is the manager and he has the end responsability in every aspect of our game. Altough I agree he can not directly impact every aspect he can sure try to impact it indirectly in numerous ways.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

Doesn't apply to Moyes because sammsky is a scholar of Sir Alex's brain. To him - Moyes is just small potatoes. One can't help but admire that sort of humility.

Dobbs

He isn't saying you should agree with everything the manager says and does as that would defy our very nature as football fans and human beings in general, fickle as we are.
He is simply saying we should have faith in Jose's tactical decisions based on the success it has brought himself and the clubs he has managed over the years. Moyes, on the other hand, simply does not.
He really is. He doesn't think you can criticise a decision and support the manager at the same time. Thinks it's arrogant and foolish to disagree whoever is in charge. I'm not going to quote the posts as I don't want to come across as being harsh but just have a read back. I'm not criticising him either, I enjoy debating those who have a completely different way of looking at stuff.

The red panther

princess transfer emo

He isn't saying you should agree with everything the manager says and does as that would defy our very nature as football fans and human beings in general, fickle as we are. He is simply saying we should have faith in Jose's tactical decisions based on the success it has brought himself and the clubs he has managed over the years. Moyes, on the other hand, simply does not.
He did say that however

Not in those excact words but I fail to see how else you can interpret it.

He said thay we as fans don't know as much as the manager hence it is arrogant and foolish to disagree with the manager.

Mike09

H

There are a lot way to see it though. We might be able to score goals if we play in the system which we can get the best out of some of our current players. It looks to me that we have been forcing players to play in the manager system even though they aren't suitable for the players. If you look at Fergie, he tends to rotate his players because he rotates his formation since he approached every game differently and use different system depends on who's the opposition teams are.

Again, I'm not trying to blame Jose or the manager. I'm just saying that there are many ways that we can find of how a manager is also responsible for the lack of goals.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Doesn't apply to Moyes because sammsky is a scholar of Sir Alex's brain. To him - Moyes is just small potatoes. One can't help but admire that sort of humility.
What does humility have anything to do with anything?

And have some civility and cut out the personal attacks and idiotic sarcasm.

Moonwalker

What does humility have anything to do with anything? And have some civility and cut out the personal attacks and idiotic sarcasm.
You're being extremely arrogant whilst affecting to appear modest. Don't think I can put it in simpler terms. I just find that very funny. And no I won't cut out the sarcasm. I don't think your posts deserve much more than that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You're being extremely arrogant whilst affecting to appear modest. Don't think I can put it in simpler terms. I just find that very funny. And no I won't cut out the sarcasm. I don't think your posts deserve much more than that.
Strange that you want to psycho analyse a random person on the internet so much and that I affect you in such a profound way. All because I said I believe in my manager, more than random blokes on the internet. Why are you so insecure?

I guess I should be honoured. So thanks for the attention. :nervous:

Anyways, Im done here as I cant be bothered with your pseudo aggression and personal insults. So bye.

Moonwalker

Strange that you want to psycho analyse a random person on the internet so much and that I affect you in such a profound way. All because I said I believe in my manager, more than random blokes on the internet. Why are you so insecure?

I guess I should be honoured. So thanks for the attention. :nervous:

Anyways, Im done here as I cant be bothered with your pseudo aggression and personal insults. So bye.
You're right, you aren't worth any attention, adieu.

GM K

There are a lot way to see it though. We might be able to score goals if we play in the system which we can get the best out of some of our current players. It looks to me that we have been forcing players to play in the manager system even though they aren't suitable for the players. If you look at Fergie, he tends to rotate his players because he rotates his formation since he approached every game differently and use different system depends on who's the opposition teams are.

Again, I'm not trying to blame Jose or the manager. I'm just saying that there are many ways that we can find of how a manager is also responsible for the lack of goals.
Good points. I think the three main ways a manager can be blamed for lack of goals are: poor tactics, poor selection/placement of players and poor motivation.

However, it's difficult to blame the manager when a top class player can't bury a sitter. Surely, there has to be a point where the player is questioned.

IMO, the manager cannot get the rap for every single problem a team has including not scoring enough especially if it is a short term problem.

MuFc_1992

I was one of those fans and who thought Pep was the better manager out of two but I've changed my mind now. Pep will need a perfect team to succeed whereas mourhino can get even the average players to perform.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
If a player misses a sitter, or even a couple of sitters, in one game, that's not down to the manager.

If the same thing happens game after game after game then yes that is down to the manager.
A lack of killer instinct/confidence/belief.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He had the balls to drop our top scorer, and put out a tactical masterclass to the current EPL leaders, that's why. There is no question that Mourinho is still The Special One.
He won 1 match versus Chelsea, a feat Crystal Palace also managed. I agree the performance was good and tactically we played a good game, I wouldn't say masterclass, it was just good nothing more and I would say it was about goddamn time aswell because we have been waiting long enough for it.

Until Mourinho can manage to have us play like this and get the results week in week out instead of drawing every match than he will deserve some of the praise you are giving him. Until then we are still only 5th which is no improvement under what we had with LVG. As long as Conte, Pochettino and Klopp are all doing better than him with what I regard as equal or lesser squads I don't find him the special one at all. More applicable title is "the not so special anymore one", 1 good game changes absolutley nothing about that.

Denis79

Some of resentment people feel against Mourinho I felt against LvG, So I understand the feeling of some fans. Some people even wanted SAF out...

gajender

Mourinho is no longer the special one time catches with everyone unless you are Sir Alex but he don't need to be the special one to be success at United , even him being good combined with our resources should be enough to make us a force once again and he is finally showing signs that he is evolving and is still a pretty good manager , exciting times ahead.

Miscemayl

If we win our 1 game in hand, Mourinho will be a point behind Pep.

If we win the second game in hand, Mourinho will tie with Klopp.

Are those two shit as well or we're hammering Jose unnecessarily?

Klopp already have nothing to fight for, and guaranteed to end the season throphyless. Pep might win a FA Cup.

Let's see what happens at the end of the season. There's still another 7 games left (which is almost a fifth of the season). It's very much possible that we'll end the season third, winning the EL along with the other two already in the bag. Given last season, that's a massive improvement.

If the Special One is someone that guarantee instant success, then no, Jose isn't that. But then who is? Even Conte, seemingly a miracle worker, is no longer guaranteed to win the league in his first season (despite having very favorable circumstances).

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Have not finished the video, but Burley predicted a 0-3 result. :lol:

Moonwalker

If we win our 1 game in hand, Mourinho will be a point behind Pep.
If we win the second game in hand, Mourinho will tie with Klopp.

Are those two shit as well or we're hammering Jose unnecessarily?
Taking points from games that we have 'in hand' for granted, is never very wise. It's especially unwise given the fact that we are only now coming to the hardest part of the fixture list (which flatters our league position and points tally).

Pep is a bit shit (this season), yes. He's been called out on it too.

Klopp is managing an absolute motley crew which finished below us last season, before we've spent a fortune on new players. The work he has done, with such a poor squad, is highly impressive, both in terms of style and efficiency. The only reasonable 'hammering' he could get, is for doing absolutely nothing in the transfer market that would ameliorate his band of misfits.

Let's see what happens at the end of the season. There's still another 7 games left (which is almost a fifth of the season). It's very much possible that we'll end the season third, winning the EL along with the other two already in the bag. Given last season, that's a massive improvement.
If all that were to happen, no one would deny that it would be a big improvement on last season, and Mourinho would undoubtedly deserve credit for it. It doesn't look very likely at this point though, hence the doubts and the disappointment.

If the Special One is someone that guarantee instant success, then no, Jose isn't that. But then who is? Even Conte, seemingly a miracle worker, is no longer guaranteed to win the league in his first season (despite having very favorable circumstances).
This is the crux for me. Go back and read the discussion that we've had as Mourinho was about to get appointed. People in favor were telling us what a stupid and romantic conceit this idea of 'longevity' is, how wishing for an 'attacking style' is quixotic, and how the modern world of football is all about instant results. He might not be a Wenger or a Ferguson, he might not linger for too long, he might win 'ugly' at times, but who cares, when he brings instant success? I have to say, despite loathing his persona, I was sold on this proposition. I was absolutely fine with the Faustian wager, as argued.

Having not delivered the results thus far, I can't pretend I'm happy about it. And the excuses granted to him are a combination of RAWK-esque madness and conspiracy about goalkeepers being demonically possessed and fortune not favoring us and suchlike piffle, and/or - a major shifting of the goalposts, where we now learn that Rome wasn't built in a day, Mourinho needs time and money, and everything will be fine next season when he buys all these word class players (half of which are the type he would never go for), et cetera, et cetera.

So no, he hasn't been 'hammered', he has been criticised, because people expect more from him.

Miscemayl

Taking points from games that we have 'in hand' for granted, is never very wise. It's especially unwise given the fact that we are only now coming to the hardest part of the fixture list (which flatters our league position and points tally).
How else can we compare when teams have game in hand?

It's defeatist to assume we won't win the games in hand.

The hard games might prove easier for us than the "easy" games. Also, there's nothing to suggest we can't win all of the remaining games. Unlikely perhaps but Liverpool and City are not exactly on a great run of form either.

Pep is a bit shit (this season), yes. He's been called out on it too.
Could it be that neither managers suddenly turn shit but actually changes take time?

Klopp is managing an absolute motley crew which finished below us last season, before we've spent a fortune on new players. The work he has done, with such a poor squad, is highly impressive, both in terms of style and efficiency. The only reasonable 'hammering' he could get, is for doing absolutely nothing in the transfer market that would ameliorate his band of misfits.
Klopp is in his second season, and they have no European "distractions" thanks to his first season. He's had transfer windows and he decided on this squad. He's had plenty of time to implement his tactics and for all the plaudits, he's not winning anything this year.

I am not saying he's shit btw. I am just saying Jose can still catch him on points.

If all that were to happen, no one would deny that it would be a big improvement on last season, and Mourinho would undoubtedly deserve credit for it. It doesn't look very likely at this point though, hence the doubts and the disappointment.
We've gone from losing quite a few in the early season to not losing. Perhaps we can now turn those draws to wins?

Even in our "bad" run, we've made up some grounds.

Why turn on our manager when third is still up for grabs? On top of that, we still have the EL possibility too. This season is far from over yet. Plenty of things can happen in the last 7 games. Even SAF have lost bigger leads in this time, there's still plenty of twists and turns yet.

This is the crux for me. Go back and read the discussion that we've had as Mourinho was about to get appointed. People in favor were telling us what a stupid and romantic conceit this idea of 'longevity' is, how wishing for an 'attacking style' is quixotic, and how the modern world of football is all about instant results. He might not be a Wenger or a Ferguson, he might not linger for too long, he might win 'ugly' at times, but who cares, when he brings instant success? I have to say, despite loathing his persona, I was sold on this proposition. I was absolutely fine with the Faustian wager, as argued.

Having not delivered the results thus far, I can't pretend I'm happy about it. And the excuses granted to him are a combination of RAWK-esque madness and conspiracy about goalkeepers being demonically possessed and fortune not favoring us and suchlike piffle, and/or - a major shifting of the goalposts, where we now learn that Rome wasn't built in a day, Mourinho needs time and money, and everything will be fine next season when he buys all these word class players (half of which are the type he would never go for), et cetera, et cetera.

So no, he hasn't been 'hammered', he has been criticised, because people expect more from him.
It's not his fault some have placed unrealistic expectations on him from day 1.

Even at Chelsea, where he had a far superior squad and already knew the club and half the squad, he didn't win in his first season back.

Compared to LVG, there's been obvious improvements, if only for the fact games are now watchable again.

He is still a bloody good manager and easily our best since SAF. Given plenty is still up for grabs, it's certainly strange so many want to write our manager off.

Moonwalker

How else can we compare when teams have game in hand?

It's defeatist to assume we won't win the games in hand.

The hard games might prove easier for us than the "easy" games. Also, there's nothing to suggest we can't win all of the remaining games. Unlikely perhaps but Liverpool and City are not exactly on a great run of form either.

Could it be that neither managers suddenly turn shit but actually changes take time?

Klopp is in his second season, and they have no European "distractions" thanks to his first season. He's had transfer windows and he decided on this squad. He's had plenty of time to implement his tactics and for all the plaudits, he's not winning anything this year.

I am not saying he's shit btw. I am just saying Jose can still catch him on points.

We've gone from losing quite a few in the early season to not losing. Perhaps we can now turn those draws to wins?

Even in our "bad" run, we've made up some grounds.

Why turn on our manager when third is still up for grabs? On top of that, we still have the EL possibility too. This season is far from over yet. Plenty of things can happen in the last 7 games. Even SAF have lost bigger leads in this time, there's still plenty of twists and turns yet.

It's not his fault some have placed unrealistic expectations on him from day 1.

Even at Chelsea, where he had a far superior squad and already knew the club and half the squad, he didn't win in his first season back.

Compared to LVG, there's been obvious improvements, if only for the fact games are now watchable again.

He is still a bloody good manager and easily our best since SAF. Given plenty is still up for grabs, it's certainly strange so many want to write our manager off.
Oh wow. This type of vivisection is incredibly tiresome to read (for a third party especially), so I'll try to condense.

There's a very crude straw man permeating throughout all your responses, epitomised by "Could it be that neither managers suddenly turn shit". I've put 'this season' in the bracket for a reason. The criticism they have both received is that of their performance this season, which is but a small chapter in two otherwise very successful careers. likewise, to say that you think this season has been underwhelming and that the manager deserves criticism for that, doesn't constitute 'turning on our manager', nor does it imply that we've 'written him off'.

You'll find it much easier if you just stop responding to all the things that weren't said.

rocks13

Good to see Jose proving the doubters wrong. It's ridiculous how some people in here have been critical of him without giving him time and can't see the clear progress we've made.

Philadelphian

Good to see Jose proving the doubters wrong. It's ridiculous how some people in here have been critical of him without giving him time and can't see the clear progress we've made.
Likewise, he hasn't achieved what would be his #1 target yet and should probably be judged when/if that happens.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I love how one match prove critics wrong, whilst due to him we gave away a lead just the match before.. I hope he did/said something that transformed the entire team between Anderlecht and Chelsea and from now on we will play like we did on Sunday everytime, but until longevity and consistency in such performances is implemented, nothing is proven wrong.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I love how one match prove critics wrong, whilst due to him we gave away a lead just the match before.. I hope he did/said something that transformed the entire team between Anderlecht and Chelsea and from now on we will play like we did on Sunday everytime, but until longevity and consistency in such performances is implemented, nothing is proven wrong.
You have to look at the game in the right context, though. For the first time this season, we actually looked and played like a proper Jose Mourinho football team; A solid defensive unit with a tendancy to hit hard on the counter, classic Jose. Moreover the eleven players on the pitch all looked as if they were on the same page fully aware of the tactical plan in place. It just worked plain and simple.

Whether we kick on from the Chelsea game is up for debate, but the signs are there that the players - as a tactical unit - are beginning to understand Jose's system. I don't think they are quite there yet and consistency will likely remain an issue for the remainder of the season, but that game is evidence enough that the players are getting there. We just need to be patient and support where and when necessary. Jose will bring us success, it is inevitable.

SirAF

Ageist
You have to look at the game in the right context, though. For the first time this season, we actually looked and played like a proper Jose Mourinho football team; A solid defensive unit with a tendancy to hit hard on the counter, classic Jose. Moreover the eleven players on the pitch all looked as if they were on the same page fully aware of the tactical plan in place. It just worked plain and simple.

Whether we kick on from the Chelsea game is up for debate, but the signs are there that the players - as a tactical unit - are beginning to understand Jose's system. I don't think they are quite there yet and consistency will likely remain an issue for the remainder of the season, but that game is evidence enough that the players are getting there. We just need to be patient and support where and when necessary. Jose will bring us success, it is inevitable.
Top post.

Philadelphian

Top post.
The Chelsea match was clearly the exception though and not the rule thus far. A one-off performance in a one-off tactical formation (built specifically for Chelsea and no one else). What about that game or this season would make that seem out of context? Taken out of context, one would project that because we executed that specific plan against Chelsea, we will continue to do so against other teams when other teams clearly don't necessitate those tactics. And we've clearly failed to deliver that type of dominant, confident performance under any different set of tactical instruction thus far under Jose.

It's fine to be patient, also fine to be critical - as neither our patience nor our criticism on a message board has any bearing on anything other than our own personal enjoyment of the season.

Also, is anything inevitable in sport besides players declining with age (except Zlatan)?

Miscemayl

Oh wow. This type of vivisection is incredibly tiresome to read (for a third party especially), so I'll try to condense.

There's a very crude straw man permeating throughout all your responses, epitomised by "Could it be that neither managers suddenly turn shit". I've put 'this season' in the bracket for a reason. The criticism they have both received is that of their performance this season, which is but a small chapter in two otherwise very successful careers. likewise, to say that you think this season has been underwhelming and that the manager deserves criticism for that, doesn't constitute 'turning on our manager', nor does it imply that we've 'written him off'.

You'll find it much easier if you just stop responding to all the things that weren't said.
Read the thread again, plenty have said he should feck off.

We won a cup, got deep into the FA cup, still fighting for 3rd and still in the EL is a big improvement over last season. When we miss top 4, gets knocked out of the EL and hence miss out on the CL, then he's done poorly.

The "fact" that he's done poorly right now is based on unrealistic expectations.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

:keano: :keano: :keano:

This fecking post made me giddy as feck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.