Is Mou still 'The Special One' for you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Haven't seen that before :drool:

Might as well stick it in here, since this is the most active Mourinho thread.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He never lost it. The criticism of him has been over the top this season.

el3mel

Fans are never patient. The evaluation of manager has become too reactionary and dependent on the last game. One lose or draw and it's enough to make the manager the worst ever and lost his touch.

Minimalist

He's made some daft decisions at times which people are quite entitled to mention.

That said, the team has been improving of late and that should be acknowledged.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He deserves so much credit for how this season is unfolding.

Just think about how he's (thus far) handled -

The Rooney Situation
Freak injuries
Getting more from complacent players
Out thinking other managers
Bonding with the fans
Slowly making OT a fortress again
Winning Trophies

And he's done this while having a hard time with his father needing care, and readjusting to a new club that was low in mood when he came here.

I fecking Love José, hope he stays for many years and wins every trophy here, and I believe if given time, he actually will do that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Freak injuries
Freak injuries is an understatement.
2 of our best players, both suffering cruciate ligament injuries in the same match. I think this is unprecedented in modern football.

Is Mourinho the Special One?
Nope. He is the Only One.
With a team decimated by injuries, he continues to push us through games, using our 2nd string players, to get wins.

Dobbs

Freak injuries is an understatement.
2 of our best players, both suffering cruciate ligament injuries in the same match. I think this is unprecedented in modern football.

Is Mourinho the Special One?
Nope. He is the Only One.
With a team decimated by injuries, he continues to push us through games, using our 2nd string players, to get wins.
We've only had one game since the two freak injuries you've mentioned. Let's give it a bit before judging how that goes.

Aside form that it's been a weird season that's difficult to judge. Feels like we've made a meal of 4th spot. There's been unecessary issues with players in my opinion that have held us back. However a win in the Europa and league cup along with 4th spot can't be argued with in the first season. Though I still find cheering 4th spot difficult.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Following on from the Shaw thread

José is at it again:rolleyes:

Publicly calling out Chris and Jones to play on Thursday despite injury. He said they need "A crazy mentality like me" and if it was him he'd play. He is pretty much demanding that they ignore advice from other people (our medical staff?) and play anyway.

I don't think it's fair at all, the pressure he's putting on the players to play while injured. Like I said with Luke and Chris earlier in the season, if you won't play while injured then you risk falling out with José and he won't "trust" you as a player. Whatever about asking the players in private but using the press like this can turn our more simple minded fans against the player as they want to find a way to justify Mourinho's actions.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Playing whilst injured may indicate a «crazy» attitude of the sort he's presumably referring to. It may also be plain idiotic, however.

One can only presuppose that he knows precisely what the medical status is. The Shaw thing I have no issue with. You don't want players who can't push themselves above and beyond when the occasion calls for it - that's common sense, and if anything it's surprising to hear it mentioned in those terms at all.

Wanting players who are actually injured to forget about their condition is quite different, though - but, again, we have to presuppose he knows exactly where they are, rehabilitation wise.

I largely agree with those who don't see why he feels the need to go public with all this, though. I have never seen the upside to broadcasting such details, unless it be sheer mindgames. Maybe they ain't injured at all.

dogwithabone

Some managers you have no faith in but you just know with Mourinho he will get it right. I will be amazed if we haven't won at least one PL title in the next three seasons.

TheRedHearted

Playing whilst injured may indicate a «crazy» attitude of the sort he's presumably referring to. It may also be plain idiotic, however.

One can only presuppose that he knows precisely what the medical status is. The Shaw thing I have no issue with. You don't want players who can't push themselves above and beyond when the occasion calls for it - that's common sense, and if anything it's surprising to hear it mentioned in those terms at all.

Wanting players who are actually injured to forget about their condition is quite different, though - but, again, we have to presuppose he knows exactly where they are, rehabilitation wise.

I largely agree with those who don't see why he feels the need to go public with all this, though. I have never seen the upside to broadcasting such details, unless it be sheer mindgames. Maybe they ain't injured at all.

I think we can all argue that Zlatan got so horribly injured because he was so over worked. Jose constantly starting him (could be because Zlatan insisted but does that matter when you're he manager?) when Rashford or Martial should have gotten the nod up front.

Womp

idiot
I think we can all argue that Zlatan got so horribly injured because he was so over worked. Jose constantly starting him (could be because Zlatan insisted but does that matter when you're he manager?) when Rashford or Martial should have gotten the nod up front.
Except we can't, Zlatan's injury has nothing to do with fatigue. He hyper extended his knee by landing wrong on it. He could have been rested and he would have still had the same injury had he landed on his leg that same way.

TheRedHearted

Except we can't, Zlatan's injury has nothing to do with fatigue. He hyper extended his knee by landing wrong on it. He could have been rested and he would have still had the same injury had he landed on his leg that same way.
That is true, my fault. I thought his knee shot out straight in the air before he landed. But the fact his meniscus was also ruptured just sort of doesnt make sense for that type of injury. We can all agree he wasn't rested enough regardless.

Womp

idiot
That is true, my fault. I thought his knee shot out straight in the air before he landed. But the fact his meniscus was also ruptured just sort of doesnt make sense for that type of injury. We can all agree he wasn't rested enough regardless.
Ye I agree with that, that's the one thing I think Jose needs to improve on. I think he's the best choice for us but he needs to trust his squad players more. It's hard to fully put the blame on him though, we were struggling to score goals and for the majority of this season Ibra looked like the only player who could score. Coupled with the fact that until a few weeks ago Rashford and Martial were in dire form, it was just a bad situation.

dichinero

The man is just a nut case at times.

ti vu

And Zlatan didn't play that much the last couple weeks. People seem like they can't distinguish between muscle injury which relating to overwork vs freak injury that can happen by stripping in your bathroom.

Regarding Mourinho recent remark on Jones & Smalling. It's more about we're bare bone regarding the CB department, and the injury (toe injury) is playable with injection. It's only a month till the season end, so it's an acceptable risk to get result to give other players rest (Bailly has been clocking crazy minutes the last few weeks). What good if they 100% fit when season's already over.

Last edited:

johanovic

I think we are on the right track with Mourinho, he´s getting rid of players he deems not usable and will continue to do so in the summer. If he buy´s as well as he did last summer 4 to 6 players then I think we will be in for a interesting season. Hopefully De Gea will stay but it looks like he wants out so getting a keeper that can fill his boots will not be easy. Rooney,Carrick,Young,Darmian,Jones,Januzaj look like they could be leaving though I hope Carrick will stay one more season. Mourinho is at least proving that he´s not afraid to make big decisions and he has the character for a job of this magnitude. How Moyes got the job in the first place is a mystery to me and Van Gaal was driving me crazy last season. So upwards and onwards.

Mr Smith

He deserves so much credit for how this season is unfolding.

Just think about how he's (thus far) handled -

The Rooney Situation
Freak injuries
Getting more from complacent players
Out thinking other managers
Bonding with the fans
Slowly making OT a fortress again
Winning Trophies

And he's done this while having a hard time with his father needing care, and readjusting to a new club that was low in mood when he came here.

I fecking Love José, hope he stays for many years and wins every trophy here, and I believe if given time, he actually will do that.
Looking at each of these in detail:
The Rooney situation: A+ Turned one of our biggest concerns going into the season into a non-issue
Freak injuries: B, would agree that this has been handled well, especially in defence, where we've been decimated.
Getting more from complacent players: Going with a B- here, it's worked well in some cases (Mikhi, Martial) but has also resulted in removing important players from selection for long periods, leaving us a bit stretched at times (Martial, Schweinsteiger, Shaw).
Out thinking other managers: C, maybe even C-. He hasn't actually done this that often. I understand that the Chelsea game is fresh in everyone's mind (and it was an excellent tactical performance), but we've ended up with frustrating draws against strong to medium premier league opposition a lot this season, and frankly made more of a meal of Europe than we should have. Also, three big league games to go (City, Arsenal and Spurs) plus a league cup semi-final tie still to go, I'd say the jury is still out on this one.
Bonding with the fans: A, he's been excellent, very aware and respectful of the club's heritage and saying all the right things without pandering. Wish he'd criticise individuals a little less, but other than that he's been everything I'd want.
Slowly making OT a fortress again: C-, maybe even going into a D. Our home form has not been good enough.
Winning Trophies: Currently a C, but could edge toward a B with a convincing Europa League victory. Did think the league cup would invigorate us a little more than it did, but there were mitigating circumstances so I'll let it go.

There are other important things he's done, like getting us to play good football again, but not at the expense of game-management, and turning our defence into a mean machine. Overall I'm happy with what he's done so far, but I expect more next season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The Rooney situation: A+ Turned one of our biggest concerns going into the season into a non-issue
Freak injuries: B, would agree that this has been handled well, especially in defence, where we've been decimated.
Getting more from complacent players: Going with a B- here, it's worked well in some cases (Mikhi, Martial) but has also resulted in removing important players from selection for long periods, leaving us a bit stretched at times (Martial, Schweinsteiger, Shaw).
Out thinking other managers: C, maybe even C-. He hasn't actually done this that often. I understand that the Chelsea game is fresh in everyone's mind (and it was an excellent tactical performance), but we've ended up with frustrating draws against strong to medium premier league opposition a lot this season, and frankly made more of a meal of Europe than we should have. Also, three big league games to go (City, Arsenal and Spurs) plus a league cup semi-final tie still to go, I'd say the jury is still out on this one.
Bonding with the fans:
A, he's been excellent, very aware and respectful of the club's heritage and saying all the right things without pandering. Wish he'd criticise individuals a little less, but other than that he's been everything I'd want.
Slowly making OT a fortress again: C-, maybe even going into a D. Our home form has not been good enough.
Winning Trophies: Currently a C, but could edge toward a B with a convincing Europa League victory. Did think the league cup would invigorate us a little more than it did, but there were mitigating circumstances so I'll let it go.

There are other important things he's done, like getting us to play good football again, but not at the expense of game-management, and turning our defence into a mean machine. Overall I'm happy with what he's done so far, but I expect more next season.
Good reply, mate. Thanks for taking the time.

Yeah, I really agree with the bolded, I think you're right about the Chelsea game being fresh in my mind - but, I do also think that it was so impressive that it counts as more than a 'normal' tactical victory.

The fact of dropping Zlatan and playing 2 young, English strikers (neither of whom were really in form beforehand) was so brave, and so progressive tactically.

But you're right, there have been times (many times) where I've felt let down by his tactics this season, particularly against the lesser teams.

Flytan

I love how he calls players out. I mean we're all thinking it.

Martial - Looks like he can't be bothered a lot - whether he plays like that is another story. Regardless he needs to show more emotion or it's easy to attack his commitment.
Shaw - LVG called him lazy too. Even gave him his own training regime. It was clear he wasn't getting anywhere and something needed to be done to rile him up or he wouldn't even be worth more investment into.
Mikhi - This one is the one I disagree with since he had just gotten here, but to be fair I think it was more to do with giving him time to adapt than trying to change his mentality.
Schweinsteiger - Looked out of shape his first season and there were rumblings about him being more interested in vacationing than recovering from injury. Also murmurs about the locker room not all being thrilled with him.
Smalling and Jones - This is the best one. He's hinted at it multiple times during the season. He wants players to give it their all. Smalling NEVER seemed like the type of player that would give it his all when in pain. His injuries almost always are more minor than most players and still misses an insane amount of time. I don't think he's particularly good and that last year was a fluke. Jones is just always injured. He'd be the perfect Jose player if he wasn't made of glass.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think criticisms of Mourinho v lesser opposition is harsh. The vast majority of the draws we've had at home we've absolutely battered the opposition and could quite easily have won 3/4/5 nil. Put finishing and a lack of composure in front of goal cost us. Mourinho set up his team to create the chances, he can't put the ball in the back of the net for them.

strangeways

Mikhi - This one is the one I disagree with since he had just gotten here smalling NEVER seemed like the type of player that would give it his all when in pain. His injuries almost always are more minor than most players and still misses an insane amount of time. I don't think he's particularly good and that last year was a fluke. Jones is just always injured. He'd be the perfect Jose player if he wasn't made of glass.
nah miki hasn't been good enough a classic case of not being bothered, for Jose to bench him from the get-go means he made a dismal first impression, utd can be overwhelming but he arrived at the same time as pogba and ibra so should have been free to express himself.
Smalling seems like the honest type to me just lacks talent, he probably plays through pain all the time, the pain of being a basketball player wearing a pair of boots

Eire Red United

He had been well rested the previous month or so, between the international break and his 3 game suspension.

dichinero

Bonding with the fans: A, he's been excellent, very aware and respectful of the club's heritage and saying all the right things without pandering. Wish he'd criticise individuals a little less, but other than that he's been everything I'd want.

100% agree.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He never was the Special One. But his football is a lot better than LVG or Moyes. I would have preferred Klopp but I don't have a problem with Jose, beyond his likely implosion in 2018-19. If you listen closely you can already hear the loud ticking...

el3mel

He never was the Special One. But his football is a lot better than LVG or Moyes. I would have preferred Klopp but I don't have a problem with Jose, beyond his likely implosion in 2018-19. If you listen closely you can already hear the loud ticking...
Nah. I will take Jose on Klopp anyday. Our squad needs a massive rebuild and Klopp wouldn't have done that. He would have tried to do as much as possible with what the current players , playing some nice football and some nice matches but never win any significant competitions as these players had limits. He would have come and left without achieving anything and that's what he would do at Liverpool.

Jose would want trophies and will accept nothing else so he'll not accept any mediocrity and will rebuild the squad till he achieves what he wants. We want a manager that is willing to do anything to win trophies, not just playing some nice football and zero achievements. Klopp got a whole summer market to make good signings and instead of that he preferred to stick with the same mediocre players. This mentality is suited for clubs who gives no feck about trophies . We give and that's our aim. Jose is better for us.

MarchingOn

Take a break from the internet.

El Zoido

I'm feeling good about Jose. When he froze out Martial and Shaw people wondered what sort of mind games he was playing. From his comments recently it seems it's purely down to effort. You put 100% in during training and 100% in games. That's it. He inherited a squad that had started to become complacent, with players who were happy to collect their massive salaries and not earn them. You need to be a warrior for Jose, he knows how to win and it's not by having a bunch of rich prima donna footballers.

He's getting us to the right place. We may sometimes question his tactics and substitutions, but I feel he gets it right more often than not. I'm not nervous about the City game on Thursday, not because I think we'll win, but because even if we miss out on a CL place come the end of the season, this team is only going to improve next year. No players are going to leave if we miss out on Champions League football (De Gea and Ibra are probably gone either way). It may set us back in a couple of potential signings but we'll still improve the squad, I'm supremely confident we'll be comfortably in the top four next season. So I'm just going to enjoy what's left of this season, hopefully we can have a great end to it.

Jonno

How can Winning Trophies be a C?! He has become the first manager in Manchester United history to win a trophy in his first season. He won the Community Shield, he won the League Cup, we narrowly missed out in the FA Cup losing to the best team in the country and the competition with only 10 men, we're in the semi final of the Europa. I'd say that's pretty impressive, B+ for me, and if we win the Europa it's got to be an A-

Mr Smith

How can Winning Trophies be a C?! He has become the first manager in Manchester United history to win a trophy in his first season. He won the Community Shield, he won the League Cup, we narrowly missed out in the FA Cup losing to the best team in the country and the competition with only 10 men, we're in the semi final of the Europa. I'd say that's pretty impressive, B+ for me, and if we win the Europa it's got to be an A-
You raise a fair point, I didn't really consider that no United manager had won a trophy in his first season before. That said, expectations were (with good reason) quite high at the start of the season, we were expected to challenge for the league, and many here predicted us winning it. I would probably knock us up to a B+ if we win the europa league, which I think is a much bigger deal that the league cup, but you have to consider that the teams we've faced in each competition have hardly been world-beaters, and we've made a real meal of both.

Also I forgot about the Community Shield completely, which frankly speaks for itself. Don't get me wrong, it's great to win it, but you can't seriously include it in a trophy haul when looking back on a season: the entire competition is one match.

The_Order

Why do people keep saying this?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Why do people keep saying this?
Because of his well documented tendency to have alienated his players after 3 seasons ...usually because they win something and their egos get too big to orbit his.

GrandJury

Tell that to Porto, Chelsea and Inter fans.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Always special, until the end of times.

rocks13

The man is a winner and I don't think anyone should be having to complain about watching 'shit on a stick' football if it brings us success.

Status
Not open for further replies.