Is our fanbase the most entitled/ knee jerk toxic fanbase around?

SER19

If you go by the Internet then yes of course it's up there. Most I speak to in person are level headed and appreciate how lucky we were and how hard it is to get back to the top.

On the Internet, we can be 2nd with one more win, 2pts off top, just 2 years after a real low for the club and state of squad and the club legend trying his best is called a weasel, fraud, pe teacher, moron and posters are preparing to celebrate his sacking. Then adopt a passive aggressive, teenage like sarcasm and snideness when asked to even consider that they might be over the top and not 100% right about everything.

These people need to address the personalities they allow themselves to slip into on the Internet, just venting lots of rage and anger and I hope they don't represent Uniteds fan base. Guilty of moments of real idiocy on here myself in the heat of frustrating results, but some take it to a near constant level

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Yes we are the worst, by a distance.

Then again many of the self loathing moaning posters on here I don’t class as fans anyway.

Call me a Top red if you want blah blah

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I mean the matchday thread is always fickle.

We've all been guilty of it.

Don't see how it makes the fanbase as a whole entitled. If anything, we're too lenient.
We haven’t all been guilty of it.

I fecking hate this mindset.

Some of us have been highly logical and thinking of the future for years

Yes.

That’s the issue.

The issue in this forum is that fans want to live in la la land. The real problem is too many people are positive on this forum.
Alright Mr positive, how did you get your username again?

Should we revisist the Mourinho first season again to see what a bright positive influence you were on the forum? :lol:

el3mel

this sort of post is part of the problem. I’d like a sensible, constructive discussion - without it being a race to the bottom in terms of negativity.

it’s not a not about being insecure, but shouldn’t the forum be called out if it’s toxic? More often than not, it’s not a nice place to post. I know, if I don’t like it, I can do one... but I like discussing football, and this used to be a great place to do that.

Perhaps some people just enjoy looking at everything in a negative light, but wouldn’t it be nice to see support for the team rather than the other way round?
The whole thread is just the main problem and nothing else if you ask me. Some random people on Internet you don't even know their real names posting some negative stuff on the team or the manager, how can this trigger anyone exactly ? Is the purpose of entering a club forum for you guys is to read positive things on United and nothing else ?

It's a forum that has +43,000 members. You'll see people with all different ways of thinking and believing. You'll see all different kinds of personalities from patient to knee-jerking, from extreme positive to extreme negative. Best solution is to let everyone post what they want and post what you want too. You find posts of some irritating ? Ignore them and discuss with people you find sensible. I have +120 posters on the ignore. It's easy and simple solution.

But trying to manipulate an entire forum of +43,000 posters to talk the same way you would like isn't a solution. This thread will just trigger the so called "negative posters" and will hit on you for another personal insulting discussion. How does this solve anything exactly ?

Basically live and let others live.

GiddyUp

Are you guys really that insecure that you're affected by reading some posts on the internet criticizing the team or the manager ? Do you want to live in a la la land in which everyone just talks rosy about United and nothing else ? And even though, how come some negative posts by a random person you don't even know get your triggered ?
Exactly. Try sitting in a pub in Dublin full of liverpool and arsenal supporters while Shaun Wright Phillips is handing your team their arse. It's a game of opinions. Don't be a bully or pussy about it.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There should be a knee-jerk thread for those who remain convinced that Ole is the man to turn us into a title winning side after a narrow victory against relegation fodder.

Yes it should have been 4 or 5 nil against Sheffield United, but the fact is that it wasn't thanks to our porous defence. Our wing-backs are often forced to stay back to bubble wrap Harry and Victor.

I don't think there is anything knee-jerk about us wanting a generally better drilled side with a proper CB pairing.

just4fun

The fanbase taking part in online discussion is polarized, like most you see in open discussions on the Internet these days. Doesn't mean it's particularly toxic. The Caf is a huge, impressive discussion forum, although nothing more than just an opportunity to voice an opinion and have some fun with it. And to show respect for the views of others.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not sure, I don't go anywhere else to check. The matchday thread is chaotic generally but I quite like it, even if the vibe can be extremely negative at times.

The only thing that grinds my gears if when people make threads with opinions that could go into other threads. Especially when it comes to Ole as we have roughly 10,000 already.

The whole thread is just the main problem and nothing else if you ask me. Some random people on Internet you don't even know their real names posting some negative stuff on the team or the manager, how can this trigger anyone exactly ? Is the purpose of entering a club forum for you guys is to read positive things on United and nothing else ?

It's a forum that has +43,000 members. You'll see people with all different ways of thinking and believing. You'll see all different kinds of personalities from patient to knee-jerking, from extreme positive to extreme negative. Best solution is to let everyone post what they want and post what you want too. You find posts of some irritating ? Ignore them and discuss with people you find sensible. I have +120 posters on the ignore. It's easy and simple solution.

But trying to manipulate an entire forum of +43,000 posters to talk the same way you would like isn't a solution. This thread will just trigger the so called "negative posters" and will hit on you for another personal insulting discussion. How does this solve anything exactly ?

Basically live and let others live.
so basically if I don’t agree with you, I can’t initiate a discussion, and if I do I’m trying to ‘manipulate an entire forum’ - that is some out there thinking. I’m not manipulating anything.

of course there are differences in opinion. But in my opinion (I’m allowed one), the negativity is way OTT.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Do internet clowns count as “our fanbase” not so sure personally. Otherwise every fanbase are as bad as eachother.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
so basically if I don’t agree with you, I can’t initiate a discussion, and if I do I’m trying to ‘manipulate an entire forum’ - that is some out there thinking. I’m not manipulating anything.

of course there are differences in opinion. But in my opinion (I’m allowed one), the negativity is way OTT.
The whole “you are stifling discussion” is the exact tactic that knobheads use on the internet to justify stupid viewpoints. Whether it’s Milwall booing taking the knee or idiots refusing vaccines. “It’s just my opinion, you can’t stop me feeling this way.”

Obviously that is true but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be ashamed.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
We've won 5 and drawn 1 of our last games in the league. Top of the form table.

We've got the 2nd most pts in the entire year of 2020, just behind Liverpool.

If we win our game in hand we go 2nd.

And fans are losing their sh1t. Can you imagine how bad it would be if we were Arsenal?

Think covid and this awful year has got people proper worked up.
I think people are just worried. We laughed at Liverpool for 30 years.

We went from Fergie -> Moyes (idiotic)
Moyes -> LVG (much better but not classic United)
LVG -> Mourinho (better, but not classic United)
Then Mourinho -> OGS...

For the first Time since Fergie left, I think we have a manager that understands United. I enjoy watching us play much more under OGS than I did under Mou or LVG.

And yet, there is no evidence that OGS is a winning manager. No evidence that he will take us back to the promised land. Are players like Rashford and Greenwood going to waste their careers here? Is this why Pogba wants to leave, because he thinks we're losers? Does DDG care anymore?

Those are fair questions. OGS, Carrick and Phelan are Fergie disciples but they aren't Fergie. It might well be that after 10 years under OGS we won't have won anything.

At the end of the day I'd rather support a United team led by OGS playing the United way (even if we lose). But to others, the only thing that matters is getting back to the top of the podium, and they don't think OGS is the best person to do that job.

Those are two opinions that are incompatible. Neither is right or wrong

el3mel

There're many negative posters who post sensible opinions. There're many positive posters who post sensible opinions. There're also people from both categories who go to the extreme. Pretty easy to choose whom you feel sensible in his opinion even if you disagree with and discuss with him while ignoring the one who's extreme and irritating.

Not every negative person is extreme and over the top, just as not every positive person here is sensible and reasonable.

Choose whoever you like discussing with regardless of your agreement or disagreement with his opinion and ignore the irritating persons. Pretty easy solution really.

But it's impossible to enter a big forum and expect everyone to have the same ideologies, way of thinking and beliefs.

Danillaco

Its a generation of United supporters that grew up under Ferguson and think that that is just how its supposed to be all the time.
Not really, United is the biggest team in England and one the biggest of the world. Incredible history and structure. But the mismanagement and pure incompetence by almost all involved makes us a mess.
United has to have standards, so have the fans.

eire-red

I think a lot of it is to do with expectations. We have pundits like Keane, Scholes, Ferdinand, Nevile etc always talking about 'the United way', and that we should be winning more games, and that we're not playing good enough, we're not consistent enough.

If we discount the opening games of the season, which we can probably write off as anomalies due to fitness seeing how the rest of the season has panned out, we've been one of the more consistent teams, and are right up there if we win our game in hand.

When we win scrappy, pundits say we need to play better. When we were playing decent football last season, but not getting results, they were saying we need to learn to win by playing ugly. There's always going to be a narrative, sometimes it feels like we'll have to start playing the perfect 90 minutes week in week out, and that will stop the moaners.

The reality is that this team is still learning, developing and finding its identity. We're not doing great, we're not doing badly, merely OK, which is a fair assessment of where we are as a club right now. It's frustrating when you see the talent we have, but it's also hopeful as we're in the mix without having really played to our potential yet. I think in the new year we can build some momentum and focus on the league.

The toxicity comes with this BS narrative of 'we're Man United, we should win every game, compete in every competition, buy the best players, bla bla'. That's not what we are anymore, and judging the team to those standards is just pointless. Judge this team based on it's realistic capabilities, and we're not doing too badly.

He was 3 months into the job and you wanted him sacked.

You moaned all summer about Zlatan, saying he was shit, a mercenary, a terrible signing, wouldn’t score 7 goals.

Don’t fecking come in here with your bullshit now trying to call anyone negative out, cause you were the fecking worst mate.

You’re positive now because you like this idea of manager, yet if anyone disagrees with you then you have the cheek to think you can call them as though they are shit fans. Maybe we’re all shit when we aren’t a fan of the manager? Ever thought of that? Maybe we don’t all think the same.

My fecking God the hypocrisy.

I think Bilbo supported everyone, absolutely every manager, so give him his due, he can call people out for being negative, you certainly fecking can’t.

There're many negative posters who post sensible opinions. There're many positive posters who post sensible opinions. There're also people from both categories who go to the extreme. Pretty easy to choose whom you feel sensible in his opinion even if you disagree with and discuss with him while ignoring the one who's extreme and irritating.

Not every negative person is extreme and over the top, just as not every positive person here is sensible and reasonable.

Choose whoever you like discussing with regardless of your agreement or disagreement with his opinion and ignore the irritating persons. Pretty easy solution really.

But it's impossible to enter a big forum and expect everyone to have the same ideologies, way of thinking and beliefs.
so it’s not possible to manipulate an entire forum :D

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If we discount the opening games of the season, which we can probably write off as anomalies due to fitness seeing how the rest of the season has panned out, we've been one of the more consistent teams, and are right up there if we win our game in hand.
Fergie would have never let that happen though. I remember once we didn't seem ready at the start of the season but there was nothing wrong we just went clicking.

Fergie would have had us winning with the players that were ready

Mainoldo

Can fans supporting the biggest team in England be entitled?

I mean should rich people feel poor?

Fergie would have never let that happen though. I remember once we didn't seem ready at the start of the season but there was nothing wrong we just went clicking.

SAF is the greatest manager of all time, but we’ve no idea how he would have tacked the start of this season, as it was a completely unique situation.

across Europe, big clubs have suffered, and there have been some very strange results where fitness and match practice were clearly an issue.

Spurs started slowly, Klopp lost 7-2 and Pep has had a bad start to the season. The three most experienced managers in the season have all had challenges due to the unique nature of this season.

arthurka

most of us know that the match day thread should be avoided, as it’s pretty horrible.

but is our fanbase horrific, or is this how every fanbase react?

is this a symptom of a global fanbase? Is this just how modern fans react?

the negativity on here is astonishing. As soon as we concede, we see the ‘ole out’ threads bumped, we see new threads created to slag off Henderson, we see threads bumped which are pseudo player performance threads to bash players.

does anyone have any patience anymore?

more importantly, do these fans actually enjoy Watching football, or do they prefer to find the negative in every single match?

anyone who is positive gets accused of ‘accepting mediocrity’.

do other clubs laugh at our shocking fans base, or are their ‘Internet fans’ just as bad?
Patience? We haven't looked half decent for 7 years..

"Manipulate" might be a strong word but English isn't really my first language so I go with the vocab I know the best. :D
fair enough. The written word often doesn’t convey the nuances that the writer intended, which is another difficulty when debating on a forum.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He was 3 months into the job and you wanted him sacked.

You moaned all summer about Zlatan, saying he was shit, a mercenary, a terrible signing, wouldn’t score 7 goals.

Don’t fecking come in here with your bullshit now trying to call anyone negative out, cause you were the fecking worst mate.

You’re positive now because you like this idea of manager, yet if anyone disagrees with you then you have the cheek to think you can call them as though they are shit fans. Maybe we’re all shit when we aren’t a fan of the manager? Ever thought of that? Maybe we don’t all think the same.

My fecking God the hypocrisy.

I think Bilbo supported everyone, absolutely every manager, so give him his due, he can call people out for being negative, you certainly fecking can’t.
I didn’t think Zlatan was the right signing. I stand by that.

I think Mourinho wasn’t the right fit. I stand by that,

I have shown that I will stand by managers and players who exemplify what it means to be at this club. I can hold my head high and say no matter what I have supported United and had the best interests of the club at heart, I was fair to both Mourinho and Zlatan and ultimately proven right,

el3mel

fair enough. The written word often doesn’t convey the nuances that the writer intended, which is another difficulty when debating on a forum.
No problem, and I think I managed to express my view on this well enough so we can always agree to disagree.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

You’re blaming Ole for a literal pandemic.