Is our fanbase the most entitled/ knee jerk toxic fanbase around?

flappyjay

most of us know that the match day thread should be avoided, as it’s pretty horrible.

but is our fanbase horrific, or is this how every fanbase react?

is this a symptom of a global fanbase? Is this just how modern fans react?

the negativity on here is astonishing. As soon as we concede, we see the ‘ole out’ threads bumped, we see new threads created to slag off Henderson, we see threads bumped which are pseudo player performance threads to bash players.

does anyone have any patience anymore?

more importantly, do these fans actually enjoy Watching football, or do they prefer to find the negative in every single match?

anyone who is positive gets accused of ‘accepting mediocrity’.

do other clubs laugh at our shocking fans base, or are their ‘Internet fans’ just as bad?
There's a new thread that says we are the 2nd best best team in the league comfortably. The knee jerk goes both ways. When we lose the fans go to the extreme same as when we are in good form.

redshaw

More to do with the major doubts surrounding Ole.

He's on a knife edge of either keep winning or any goal conceded or draw/loss is "I told you so, get rid"

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Weren't you giving De Gea shit?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

He's on a knife edge of either keep winning or any goal conceded or draw/loss is "I told you so, get rid"
I think the bulk of Ole doubters can, and should be able to just sit back and enjoy us keeping with the title pack for as long as it lasts. Most of the doubters here don't want him sacked tomorrow, so I don't see the knife edge as much as earlier in the season.

Zen86

The online fanbase is awful, yes. Too many trolls and keyboard warriors trying to prove a point.

The opinions and idiocy on here isn't representative of the United fans I see and meet in real life.

cyberman

Too many bottlers in our fanbase who give Ole shit for something that hasnt happened yet.
The criticism of Ole from last season not getting top 4 from Feb onwards was ridiculous.
Hopefully we go on a title challenge this season but it could really charge the atmosphere on here if we do. The overeaction to every dropped point etc will be biblical.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think people are just worried. We laughed at Liverpool for 30 years.

We went from Fergie -> Moyes (idiotic)
Moyes -> LVG (much better but not classic United)
LVG -> Mourinho (better, but not classic United)
Then Mourinho -> OGS...

For the first Time since Fergie left, I think we have a manager that understands United. I enjoy watching us play much more under OGS than I did under Mou or LVG.

And yet, there is no evidence that OGS is a winning manager. No evidence that he will take us back to the promised land. Are players like Rashford and Greenwood going to waste their careers here? Is this why Pogba wants to leave, because he thinks we're losers? Does DDG care anymore?

Those are fair questions. OGS, Carrick and Phelan are Fergie disciples but they aren't Fergie. It might well be that after 10 years under OGS we won't have won anything.

At the end of the day I'd rather support a United team led by OGS playing the United way (even if we lose). But to others, the only thing that matters is getting back to the top of the podium, and they don't think OGS is the best person to do that job.

Those are two opinions that are incompatible. Neither is right or wrong
This is a perfect example of a post (and poster) that this is not aimed at. People having reasonable doubts about the manager is perfectly fine. Hell, the second i feel like we are going in the wrong direction i'd want him gone too. I think the problem OP has, which i very much agree with is:
  • People losing their shit and flooding the Ole threads with nonsense during live matches
  • People going out of their way to hurl insults at a club legend. PE teacher, Failed Cardiff Manager, weasel, moron, coward, gollum, worst manager in the league, cnut, gormless etc. Some of these are heat of the moment things, which is understandable, but many are not
  • People who could not give him any credit even if their lives depended on it
  • People with a completely skewed perspective where everything that goes bad is his fault where as everything that works out is just individual brilliance
  • People who refer to anyone at the other side of the fence as "top reds". Maybe we should answer in kind and refer to that side as "plastic cnuts?"

What i truly dont get is why people think being intransigent and uncompromising makes you look clever. That's how children tend to think. Adults who actually engage in critical thinking adapt and change their views when presented with new evidence.

DickDastardly

most of us know that the match day thread should be avoided, as it’s pretty horrible.

the negativity on here is astonishing. As soon as we concede, we see the ‘ole out’ threads bumped, we see new threads created to slag off Henderson, we see threads bumped which are pseudo player performance threads to bash players.

more importantly, do these fans actually enjoy Watching football, or do they prefer to find the negative in every single match?

do other clubs laugh at our shocking fans base, or are their ‘Internet fans’ just as bad?
Match day threads are a bit horrible mostly because you let us newbies post shit, it's the only thread you don't have to worry about your 5 posts a day and let it off a bit.
So, bear with us a bit. Or change the rules.

I don't think our fanbase is that horrific, we sound pretty reasonable from everything i read.
Surely, as an adult you look at the pro's and con's in life. The same goes with Ole - the pro's are there - he did took us a bit forward, he did sign Bruno.
But you also have to look at the con's - we are a bit free flowing, nobody is sure what our tactics really are, we are a defensive liability, and the most important fact - is Ole really good enough?
His previous job positions aren't excatly mindblowing now are they. Yet, here he is, at the helm of the best club in the world, only because he's an ex player who happened to be free for a job.
Surely you ask some questions about it, no?

Yes, i enjoy watching football, live is my preference, but you know, viruses and shit....

It's always better to focus on the negatives that you think you can turn around then to be blinded by the positives and fail miserably.
It works in real life and it should work in football as well.

I hope Ole does the same. I would be very disappointed if our coaching staff were like, "yeah, sure boys, you did good out there, never mind the feck up Deano, never mind the ball losing Paul, yeah Tony, anybody can miss that PSG chance you missed, don't worry about that..."

The carrot and stick works only if you give them the stick sometimes.
That's why SAF was so successful, he knew WHEN to stick it to them and when to defend them and stand by them.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone who dares criticise Ole is labelled as “toxic” & “entitled” I swear the Ole obsessives are getting more like a cult every day.

If I’m entitled for thinking 7 years of irrelevance for Manchester United is unacceptable then am I really entitled or have you just lowered your standards?

And the answer is no, our fans are very patient. I wish we were more entitled & “toxic” we might actively win stuff if we were.

Ole should have been sacked in December 2019. Dont @ me.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

I wonder how quickly the Ole Out threads got bumped when we went 1-nil down last night :lol:

united for life

the negativity and impatience are terrible. But Madrid fanbase must be the worse

patty123

For the first Time since Fergie left, I think we have a manager that understands United.
And their downfall or 30 yrs in the wilderness began with an ex player like ole who also knew the club inside out, from being around the boot room, to winning title after title, as well as all cups going, so how that work out for them and their ex player in the moaning scot.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

For the first Time since Fergie left, I think we have a manager that understands United. I enjoy watching us play much more under OGS than I did under Mou or LVG.
And their downfall or 30 yrs in the wilderness began with an ex player like ole who also knew the club inside out, from being around the boot room, to winning title after title, as well as all cups going, so how that work out for them and their ex player in the moaning scot.
Indeed. I can see why people are worried

jem

I can't imagine that we are as toxic as the Arsenal fanbase, if AFTV and that ridiculous show Troopz leads are anything to go by.

Greck

Timing of the thread is wrong. We just got knocked out of the CL group stage. The period after a cup disappointment is when every and any fanbase in sports are the most riled up or toxic as you put it. If we're flying high and these people are still like this then let's have this conversation. Right now the thread just looks like you yourself are venting

rotherham_red

I'd say so, yes.

We used to laugh at RAWK but honestly, this place has turned so much worse.

Matriac

You’ve only been here for a year, how do you know my opinions four years ago?
I've been lurking around for many years pre account, but to be fair I guess I wasn't paying particular attention to specific posters.

It was just a bad attempt at a joke (after some beers and whiskey for the game) since I saw someone else trying to drag up your post(s) from 2016 as an argument against your opinions today.
I felt that kinda attitude is right on the money for the complaints I have about a good deal of posters on here who are just looking to spread their own negativity, and show no ability to evolve to change their opinions no matter how circumstances change. (Yes, I mean especially the hardened ole out crowd who will complain after every match, win or lose.)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yes it is. Our fans hardly support.

Our fans all tend to be of the certain mindset of they know what's right (including me), success is meant for them and all that crap.

It's the thing I hate most about this club, I love the football- but everything that follows it such as pretending to be the biggest club in the world when we are are not that good in Europe and only pretending because of money is another mentality of quick success.

lysglimt

Scout
Anyone who dares criticise Ole is labelled as “toxic” & “entitled” I swear the Ole obsessives are getting more like a cult every day.

If I’m entitled for thinking 7 years of irrelevance for Manchester United is unacceptable then am I really entitled or have you just lowered your standards?

And the answer is no, our fans are very patient. I wish we were more entitled & “toxic” we might actively win stuff if we were.

Ole should have been sacked in December 2019. Dont @ me.
No - a lot of people criticise him without being bashed. But to recommend firing a manager who is 6th in the table with a game in hand is just stupid. If we start losing a lot of games, fine the discussion will come. But to even have this discussion when we are winning is stupid.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We may or may not be the worst set of fans. It doesnt really matter. The questions should be 'can we be better fans? Less knee-jerk? More understanding of the challenges we face?' and the answer to all of those is yes without any doubt.

Cait Sith

Nowhere near, that would be Barca easily. Imagine wanting the manager who has you top of the table 3 seasons in a row sacked and calling him names and now turning on Messi now that he isn't completely superhuman anymore surrounded by a trash team.

United fans are nowhere near that.

spiriticon

It's the trophyless years kicking in. Fans are getting impatient.

To be honest it doesn't help that just about everybody at the club, from CEO down to reserve player has glaring weaknesses in either management style or playing ability, even if they have great strengths as well.

Actually if I were the fan I was 10 years ago, I'd hate everyone apart from Bruno to be honest. So damn shite.

Paul_Scholes18

My problems is we just feel like Arsenal under Wenger post 2004. Fight for top 4, but fail when it matters when we have a chance to win big things.
It goes back to the manager that we can't reach the peak levels in the key games.
The club just like Arsenal feels happy with this as well. That is the most annoying thing.

Amerifan

99.9% of fans love the club and players and support them through the inevitable ups and downs.

The rest are on here.

Flexdegea

My problems is we just feel like Arsenal under Wenger post 2004. Fight for top 4, but fail when it matters when we have a chance to win big things.
It goes back to the manager that we can't reach the peak levels in the key games.
The club just like Arsenal feels happy with this as well. That is the most annoying thing.

Being angry or thinking you have high standards doesn't wish back the glory days.

Paul_Scholes18

Being angry or thinking you have high standards doesn't wish back the glory days.
I know it doesn't. Just know somethings needs to change on many levels at this club.

Also if it was Southampton being top and Liverpool behind us it would be easier to take.

Now Liverpool look like getting the title even by not playing well half the time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I think I will leave this to United fans :lol:.

Flexdegea

I know it doesn't. Just know somethings needs to change on many levels at this club.

Also if it was Southampton being top and Liverpool behind us it would be easier to take.

Now Liverpool look like getting the title even by not playing well half the time.

Not much we can do if Liverpool chose to run away with league again. They've been vastly superior over the last 2 seasons. We've closed the gap in my opinion but they still have the edge on us.

Your beef should be more with the board and owners or Woodward for wasting 8 years with mismanagment on the pitch and off it, and giving liverpool the opportunity to get into a dominating position they are at the moment.

At the moment it is in my honest opinion that we are actually trying to build a team and sqaud that can do the damage in the league be it this season or next.

sport2793

It's the trophyless years kicking in. Fans are getting impatient.

To be honest it doesn't help that just about everybody at the club, from CEO down to reserve player has glaring weaknesses in either management style or playing ability, even if they have great strengths as well.

Actually if I were the fan I was 10 years ago, I'd hate everyone apart from Bruno to be honest. So damn shite.
We had a lot of dross in the squad 10 years ago but it was a weaker league from the standpoint of our rivals.

Paul_Scholes18

Not much we can do if Liverpool chose to run away with league again. They've been vastly superior over the last 2 seasons. We've closed the gap in my opinion but they still have the edge on us.

Your beef should be more with the board and owners or Woodward for wasting 8 years with mismanagment on the pitch and off it, and giving liverpool the opportunity to get into a dominating position they are at the moment.

At the moment it is in my honest opinion that we are actually trying to build a team and sqaud that can do the damage in the league be it this season or next.
My beef is with the owners for sure. I don't blame Ole and think he is trying his best. Just do not think he is an elite manager to get the big titles.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Their answer is the same, but when they try to verbalise it they struggle. Ole needs to win every single game comfortably, if he doesn they were right, and that was the real quiz
Not just comfortably, intricate passing before each goal to show coaching patterns and also good use of subs is needed to offset the individual brilliance comments

Flexdegea

My beef is with the owners for sure. I don't blame Ole and think he is trying his best. Just do not think he is an elite manager to get the big titles.

Could be true he might not deliver it but then I remember we had a really elite manager before and he didn't even get us close or in a legit title race even when we came 2nd. We were miles of the pace.

More to it then just having someone you might think could deliver the big titles. I like what Ole doing with us, and if he not the man he certainly be leaving that squad in good nick with plenty of young for the future.

Let's see what we can do this year then we will come back to it

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maybe but a minority that shout the loudest on here don't represent the typical fan.