Is Paul Pogba being bullied and harassed on TV

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I'm a bit pissed at John Barnes reply to the tweet. If any player knows about being scapegoated and undervalued it would be him.
John Barnes is an enigma

poleglass red

I'd rather put up with RM fans than the British press. I do not envy anyone in the public eye in this country.
True, but Spanish press can be ruthless too. I think as a player the stick he would get from the Real fans would hurt more. Our match going fans are very supportive. We've seen Ronaldo get stick from Real fans, he basically scored a goal a game for 9 yrs for them. Can be a tough crowd esp if you're not one of their own

Ranchero

I'd have more of an issue with the way people speak about the bona finde legends and achievers of this club and how they're somehow not allowed an opinion, despite their first hand knowledge of what it takes to be a winner at this club to be honest.

I couldn't give two fecks how much Pogba cost or what wages he earns. I think he's just too inconsistent and unfocused a player to fulfill the role expected of him here.

I think he's indicative of the lack of true character and personality that makes up our squad and while I think he unfairly takes too much of the brunt as the most recognisable figure when the majority of our squad are equally as bad or worse, I still want to see the back of him.

People are too quick to write off the opinions of people like Neville and Keane. In 15 years time when City or Liverpool are in a dip, you'll see people giving out about guys like Henderson or Kompany, saying their time has passed and the game has moved on from their dinosaur beliefs about what it takes.

They'll be wrong as so many of our fans are now. Tactics and systems might change but personality, workrate and ownership of players own performances will always set the good sides apart from the bad.

We've had bad coaches and bad structures hamstringing the players and performances for a long time now, but that doesn't change the fact we've also had far too many pretenders filling our shirt, more interested in the nonsense of celebrity than the day to day intensity of being a winner.
Another Pogba thread admins?? ;)

RUCK4444

No of course he isn't bullied, he's being judged because of the actions of his agent that he employs and has complete control over.

Honestly this place is becoming more and more RAWK like.
Nahhh mate. They have been on his case, as have a huge amount of fans, a LOT longer than that.

When you put his figures in black and white compared to other players in the squad since he’s been here he is by far our best player.

When you consider the last sentence think about how many other clubs vilify their best player every week.

Now there’s an argument to say he’s been underwhelming in his time here and to some extent I would agree, however I feel the reasons for people’s over the top hate and negativity towards Pogba are quite obvious really:
Race
Young
Gifted
Brash
Loaded

In any particular order, then add a pinch of mediocre performances as a reason to slate him and here we are.

When you have your overall best performing player getting hammered constantly it boils down to more than simply poor performances I’m afraid.
Usually Jealousy and Prejudice

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Is Paul Pogba unfairly blamed? Maybe? Who knows?

All I do know is that the people involved in football talk to each other. They're all mates or former team mates, Carragher will know what goes on at United to some degree because he spends so much time with Neville and he's mates with Carrick/Solskjaer/Rio whoever else might know what really happens behind the scenes.

You're only as good as your reputation in football. It's one of those fields where if you're a bit of a dick, people will find out about it.

I'm not saying Pogba deserves any of the shit he gets from the media but far too many people have an opinion that Pobga is a bit of a dick behind the scenes and people would not mention it with such conviction if they didn't have good authority to do so. At the end of the day, it's a man's career we're talking about, saying these things about him isn't something people would be doing lightly.
I appreciate your point, but the thing is - Pretty much every player that he's played with gets on really well with Pogba... Conte loves Pogba, Zidane loves Pogba, Evra loves Pogba, his French teammates respect him and listen to him as a leader...

Maybe it's the British footy old-boys that are the dicks...?

Gary Neville is a prickly character that increasing amounts of United fans can't stand / don't trust, Roy Keane - if we're honest - is quite possibly mentally ill, his history is literally full of conflict and endless drama, including with SAF, who can't stand him, and Souness is an utter twat. Maybe it's them that have the problem?

If any player knows about racist abuse in football through personal experience and deep introspection, it’s John Barnes. And he’s telling you that threads like this are based on bullshit!
This John Barnes...?

BBC - John Barnes blasts Luis Suarez 'witch hunt'

Excellent, cheers for that.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Maybe if people don't like him being labelled a trouble maker then they should hope that he, y'know, stops causing trouble?

I mean his agent is a cnut, his brother a complete fool in Spanish media, and Ole seemed to imply that it was his people that pushed for him to have the operation in January.

All of the above points to him causing trouble, no? And pundits, including some proper United leaders, are allowed to comment on the back of that publicly available info, no?

Bullied. You lot are weird.
You have given us examples that he himself has not done. How is that him causing trouble?

The only trouble he caused was for himself when he tried to fulfill his dream of being succesful here. He should have never bothered.

Gee Male

You have given us examples that he himself has not done. How is that him causing trouble?

The only trouble he caused was for himself when he tried to fulfill his dream of being succesful here. He should have never bothered.
You seriously don't think that any of that noise originates from him?

He didn't bother being successful here. He is still not actually bothering.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
You seriously don't think that any of that noise originates from him?

He didn't bother being successful here. He is still not actually bothering.
Can you please prove that he is creating the noise? Whats the point in assuming falsely?

Jibbs

Pogba is like one of the worst things happened with this club in last 7 years. All that Sir Alex stood for, no matter how big the player is, Beckhan, Keane or the best Prodigee in the world Pogba, the moment he disrespects the club, he is off. In Pogba's case he has one of the most crocked agents in the world. the guy himself on numerous occasions disrespected the club and put it at ransom. I knew race cards will be out in this thread, they need to ask themselves, why such things have never been said about players like Yorke, Cole, Viera? I remeber Sir Alex saying to Ronaldo to get a proper haircut and act like a man united player. Imagine that being said today to a black player. The whole PC world would be up in arms.

ifightdragons

I think the criticism directed at Pogba is more than fair. His output and attitude at the club has been atrocious for a player of his wages and "stature".

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I mean in the video posted above with Keane, he calls Pogba a nuisance, but doesn't specify why?
It has been established - it seems - that he is a nuisance, a "virus" and so forth. Meanwhile, his current manager doesn't have a problem with him and calls him a professional, a good guy, etc. And he does this in spite of the obvious fact that Pogba wanted to leave last summer.

Pundits aren't neutral and "honest" observers - they're paid to take up stances that generate controversy and clicks. And - yes - some of them are perhaps genuinely stuck in a certain mindset - which can then be exploited by those who hire them to the same end (i.e. generating controversy and clicks).

We don't know what happens off camera, of course - but we do know that the only manager who has pushed anything like a "Pogba is unprofessional" angle is infamous for falling out with people, and a grade A cnut in his own right.

AFC NimbleThumb

John Barnes is an enigma

Rhymes with Toon & begins with a C.

He is quite literally the last black man I want representing me as a black man publicly.

He’d make my blood boil if his attempts to gain favour weren’t so obvious.

Gee Male

Come on, at least try and pull out a quote from his past of where he sounds like hes slating us and causing trouble?
Your argument is that his brother and agent are slating United without his permission? Really?

You're either genuinely naiive, or a lost fanboy cause.

fergiesarmy1

Nahhh mate. They have been on his case, as have a huge amount of fans, a LOT longer than that.

When you put his figures in black and white compared to other players in the squad since he’s been here he is by far our best player.

When you consider the last sentence think about how many other clubs vilify their best player every week.

Now there’s an argument to say he’s been underwhelming in his time here and to some extent I would agree, however I feel the reasons for people’s over the top hate and negativity towards Pogba are quite obvious really:
Race
Young
Gifted
Brash
Loaded

In any particular order, then add a pinch of mediocre performances as a reason to slate him and here we are.

When you have your overall best performing player getting hammered constantly it boils down to more than simply poor performances I’m afraid.
Why do you put race first?

United team is full of black players, to be racist and support united now would be like the KKK going to watch the Jackson Five every Saturday. It’s become the easy argument, everyone is loving Rashford this season? We have so many players that are legends that are black why would be suddenly racist against just Pogba. It’s absurd and lazy argument especially in this day and when the fan base is younger and the most tolerant generation in history.

He ain’t that young anymore, and I don’t hate him for being gifted, wouldn’t begrudge his money if he actually earned it from united (he was already wealthy from Juve) so it’s not that and brash well that’s the way of all “stars” these day.

I hate him for the circus he’s brought to this club without justifying the diva status of wanting to go home in his rolls instead of going home with the team type situations and his family and agent constantly talking crap about the club that pays him £15m a year basic.

Lost bear

Pogba is like one of the worst things happened with this club in last 7 years. All that Sir Alex stood for, no matter how big the player is, Beckhan, Keane or the best Prodigee in the world Pogba, the moment he disrespects the club, he is off. In Pogba's case he has one of the most crocked agents in the world. the guy himself on numerous occasions disrespected the club and put it at ransom. I knew race cards will be out in this thread, they need to ask themselves, why such things have never been said about players like Yorke, Cole, Viera? I remeber Sir Alex saying to Ronaldo to get a proper haircut and act like a man united player. Imagine that being said today to a black player. The whole PC world would be up in arms.
It’s not the ‘PC world’ that is making this point. I understand however that some people enjoy hurting others and calling them names they find offensive. Without resistance to this sort of thing, Pogba would still be getting called a ‘n*****’ and a ‘black cnut’.

If you think that the vitriol toward the man is not connected to his being black, French and a bit hip hop, in this post-brexit climate where violence toward minorities has increased ( read the stats) and vicious language legitimated, I would suggest respectfully that you don’t know what you’re talking about. The lack of any actual evidence as to how exactly Paul is so bad for the club would point in the same direction.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Your argument is that his brother and agent are slating United without his permission? Really?

You're either genuinely naiive, or a lost fanboy cause.
He was being attacked by the media and pundits long before the people around him started saying he should leave. And he only wanted to leave after years of taking that abuse combined with us massively under-performing on the field (and him being the main person blamed for that despite being by far our best player most of the time).

90% of the people who talk about the comments from his agent and brother (plus the two times I remember that Pogba himself has indicated it) would have also wanted to leave if they were treated the same way.

AFC NimbleThumb

I hate to say this, but he seems like those old timers who dissmiss your complaints because you "didn't have it tough like me".
It’s literally the dumbest set of arguments a man can muster.

“they don’t throw bananas at you so you’re privileged.”

He sets the conversation back every time he utters a word, the man is beyond ridiculous.

fergiesarmy1

He was being attacked by the media and pundits long before the people around him started saying he should leave. And he only wanted to leave after years of taking that abuse combined with us massively under-performing on the field (and him being the main person blamed for that despite being by far our best player most of the time).

90% of the people who talk about the comments from his agent and brother (plus the two times I remember that Pogba himself has indicated it) would have also wanted to leave if they were treated the same way.
Actually never heard him, his family or agent say the reason he wants to leave is because united base and media are massively abusive towards him. This is beginning to look snowflakes being offended on his behalf for him.

As for wanting to leave united because of a few keyboard warriors, if it was me I would be laughing my balls off at any of them.

Mailo

Yes, he is. I don't like him, but Pogba is being made the alternative target. They are feathering the nest for our decline, by placing blame on 'expensive foreigners' entirely and absolving useless British players and a useless manager of blame altogether. If Ole was say, Ralf Hassenhuttl, in the same situation, he'd be crucified by every single pundit out there and less emphasis would be placed on someone like Pogba.

Our former players make me sick sometimes. Rio is turning now slightly, thankfully.
I could not agree more.

Lynty

I'd say pundits hear much more than any of us about apparent antics.

MadDogg

Actually never heard him, his family or agent say the reason he wants to leave is because united base and media are massively abusive towards him. This is beginning to look snowflakes being offended on his behalf for him.

As for wanting to leave united because of a few keyboard warriors, if it was me I would be laughing my balls off at any of them.
Of course the on-field stuff is by far the biggest reason. I guess you could say it is the only reason as I'm sure he'd deal with it if we were performing well. As it is it's just the cherry on top.

MadDogg

I'd say pundits hear much more than any of us about apparent antics.
I'd say teammates and managers would know a hell of a lot more, and Mourinho is literally the only one who has ever had a problem with him. The man who falls out with every set of players that he manages, and the one time he deliberately took it public was proven to be in the wrong.

The pundits are just like us. A circle jerk who hear stories (true or false), make up their minds and are then too proud to think that they might be wrong so double-down. They then feed on each other and it's just gets worse and worse.

fergiesarmy1

Of course the on-field stuff is by far the biggest reason. I guess you could say it is the only reason as I'm sure he'd deal with it if we were performing well. As it is it's just the cherry on top.
Jesus could you imagine him coping with the death threats and abuse beckham took from opposition fans then? I don’t even believe he watches us play anymore never mind staying tuned into the pundits jibber jabber.

Stroud Red

Can't quite believe a couple of comments about John Barnes in this thread. He was one of the best players in Europe in the late Eighties but didn't get recognition as English teams were banned from European competitions at that time. Had he got the coverage he deserved he would now be considered a great.

RUCK4444

Why do you put race first?

United team is full of black players, to be racist and support united now would be like the KKK going to watch the Jackson Five every Saturday. It’s become the easy argument, everyone is loving Rashford this season? We have so many players that are legends that are black why would be suddenly racist against just Pogba. It’s absurd and lazy argument especially in this day and when the fan base is younger and the most tolerant generation in history.

He ain’t that young anymore, and I don’t hate him for being gifted, wouldn’t begrudge his money if he actually earned it from united (he was already wealthy from Juve) so it’s not that and brash well that’s the way of all “stars” these day.

I hate him for the circus he’s brought to this club without justifying the diva status of wanting to go home in his rolls instead of going home with the team type situations and his family and agent constantly talking crap about the club that pays him £15m a year basic.
I said in no particular order, but if you are arguing race has absolutely ZERO to do with it then that’s naive in the extreme my friend.

Usually I would agree totally your point of it being a lazy argument but I don’t agree in this particular case.

It’s not race for a lot I agree but certainly for a large amount.

He hasn’t brought any circus, many have a very high opinion of him and are adamant he is not a bad influence in any way. The agent noise and brothers comments came a long time after all the negativity towards him started.

Ironic though that you finish on a point about how much he earns at United

TsuWave

Guy needs to leave this club. I want him to be successful.

Every young player that ever speaks about him emphasises how inspirational and helpful he is, including those at other clubs, like Martinelli, but somehow Adam Lallana, known for attacking kids at U23 games, is a better role model than devout Muslim, non smoking or drinking, clean living, 4 serie a titles, World Cup winner, CL finalist, Fifa team of the year Paul Pogba.

fergiesarmy1

I said in no particular order, but if you are arguing race has absolutely ZERO to do with it then that’s naive in the extreme my friend.

Usually I would agree totally your point of it being a lazy argument but I don’t agree in this particular case.

It’s not race for a lot I agree but certainly for a large amount.

He hasn’t brought any circus, many have a very high opinion of him and are adamant he is not a bad influence in any way. The agent noise and brothers comments came a long time after all the negativity towards him started.

Ironic though that you finish on a point about how much he earns at United
So are all these former international football pundits also racist?

What about the black pundits who aren’t impressed with Pogba’s contribution during these 3 and half years?

(Do you know I don’t even like using the world black or white to describe a footballer or pundit because it makes no difference to me). If your shit your shit, if your taking the piss your taking the piss and if you want out get the feck out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As someone who has been hugely disappointed by Pogba, I can still say that he is being targeted quite clearly in the media, and it seems it's open season. I doubt very much this would be the case if he was British.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Race
Young
Gifted
Brash
Loaded

Agree 100%, brilliant post.

It's pathetic really when you think about it, I can understand the mainstream media's motivation, which is, as usual, to sell their pointless rags to mindless idiots.
However the fact that our own supporters swallow it up and start booing him (despite as you said, him clearly being one of our better performers) is embarrassing, could you blame him anyway if he did want to leave?

fergiesarmy1

As someone who has been hugely disappointed by Pogba, I can still say that he is being targeted quite clearly in the media, and it seems it's open season. I doubt very much this would be the case if he was British.
So you never saw the press go to town on Beckham for a red card in the World Cup. They wanted him to never wear the England shirt again, pictures of effigies of him hanging on the front papers.

Some people are becoming offended on his behalf where he probably doesn’t give a shit.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Is Paul Pogba unfairly blamed? Maybe? Who knows?

All I do know is that the people involved in football talk to each other. They're all mates or former team mates, Carragher will know what goes on at United to some degree because he spends so much time with Neville and he's mates with Carrick/Solskjaer/Rio whoever else might know what really happens behind the scenes.

You're only as good as your reputation in football. It's one of those fields where if you're a bit of a dick, people will find out about it.

I'm not saying Pogba deserves any of the shit he gets from the media but far too many people have an opinion that Pobga is a bit of a dick behind the scenes and people would not mention it with such conviction if they didn't have good authority to do so. At the end of the day, it's a man's career we're talking about, saying these things about him isn't something people would be doing lightly.
Not heard any criticism from any of Pogbas current teammates at United, juve or France. All seems to come from the old boys club at United.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So you never saw the press go to town on Beckham for a red card in the World Cup. They wanted him to never wear the England shirt again, pictures of effigies of him hanging on the front papers.

Some people are becoming offended on his behalf where he probably doesn’t give a shit.
It was way way over the top and probably exacerbated by a lot of resentment and jealousy, but it was about England. Quite different to the Pogba focus. Mind you, I don't think Pogba is innocent in all this. He's also publicly said how the team should be playing, where he should be playing and quite a few times I've felt like he's downed tools (Valencia, Everton come to mind). But of course, he divides opinion and some will see something totally different.

I just think if he was an English player with all the same baggage and turning out the same performances, he'd be treated with a lot more sensitivity.