Is Pochettino's star fading?

KeanoMagicHat

Poch should never have been sacked by Spurs, it’s funny how he had a great thing going and they gave him no money for years, then after he left they blew a lot of money on shite. And they’re no better off for it, in fact they’ve gone backwards.

Swedish_Plumber

Poch should never have been sacked by Spurs, it’s funny how he had a great thing going and they gave him no money for years, then after he left they blew a lot of money on shite. And they’re no better off for it, in fact they’ve gone backwards.
He probably shouldn’t go back to spurs either but it’s nailed on to happen now.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
What fecking star?

He's always been a loser.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Is it not more that his star was never that big to begin with?

His reputation was based on him nearly being successful at Tottenham, which actually boiled down to them losing a league to Leicester and pretty much fluking their way to a CL final which they then lost in about 1 minute.

I mean it's doing a pretty good job by Tottenham standards, but by the standards of anyone better it would result in getting sacked, and actually he ended up getting sacked.

Tottenham fans might think of him highly (I actually dont know) but look at some of the dross they had to put up with before (and since). They've had 3 managers since who seem to hate the idea of their own team playing any football.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Even if he's pretending, which I expect he probably is, it's pretty sad to have your entire caf persona be as a fanboy for something.

At least get involved in the console warring and have two sides to your coin Ammy.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Is Pochettino still unemployed? How come he hasn’t found work since PSG?
i’ve been reliably informed by a poster on here that his tactical genius hasn’t gone unnoticed by the illuminati, who have hired him to mastermind a game of space football against an alien race. they’ve been making fun of how green the earth looks from space and how it’s just a farmer’s planet compared to their far superior league, where there are no draws and you get 4 gorks per goal.

Castia

Will be at Spurs next season

I still think he's a top manager.

Gandalf

Even with Spurs today going out of the Champions League, it seems Pochettino star is even brighter now. Got spurs to the final and got psg to semi final. Let me see the next managers that does that. Call me when that happens.

@Mods need to change the title to, Pochettino star is even brighter after the failure of psg and Spurs today.
The previous PSG manager got them to the final so not sure how this is something to brag about, he also managed to finished 2nd in a 1 team League at PSG, hardly evidence that he is burning bright, flaming out maybe.

quadrant

PSG was exactly the wrong move for him. You can see why wanted him, they had a bunch of stars who don't want to put in the required work that you need to truly achieve at the peak end of football, and they wanted to get past that. Poch's Spurs were just about the hardest working team in the Prem (and the dirtiest) and they figured he'd be the one to whip them into shape.

Except PSG didn't want to get past it. Not really. They make the right noises occasionally, usually when they get knocked out of the CL, but in truth, they prefer just having stars around, sitting in their Ligue 1 comfort zone, where stars can win you the league 9 times from 10. You don't continue with Neymar and bring in Messi if you want to be a technically tight and committed team, like Bayern showed last night. Which hung Pochettino out to dry. He ends up having to play star studded football, which is not his thing at all. He failed, and got burned.

Unfortunately, football moves fast. Not only is his reputation now tarnished, but there's lots of new managers on the way up too, so high pressing, hard working, tactically flexible managers are not so rare as they used to be.

I still think he'll get a shot at resurrecting his career, he's not in Allardyce limbo just yet. He could do well in Italy, and Simeone's time at Atletico seems to be drawing to a close, he'd be a good fit there. I don't see him at a big Prem club though, other than as a hail mary by Spurs or Chelsea.

KeanoMagicHat

You mean the managers with multiple big trophies?
That did worse jobs at Spurs with more money.

The point is that the issue is more Spurs the club rather than a manager. Mourinho and Conte were brought in specifically to win, style be damned, and look how it’s worked out.

In a similar way that Tuchel, Emery, Galtier etc can’t get PSG to win in Europe, I’m not sure what manager could stop Spurs from being Spursy.

Strootman's Finger

I can't wait for him to go back to Spurs and seeing what he can do the second time. I think that would settle the debate on him, unfortunately I don't think that would be positive for him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The Athletic are reporting that Enrique is a lead contender to succeed Conte and that Pochettino is an unlikely candidate. I would have thought Tottenham and Pochettino to be the ideal marriage, I think that is strange.

lex talionis

Levy probably won’t bring Poch back. There’s too much risk in getting it wrong twice. Yes of course Poch is holding out for a top club, but it’s just not in the cards. He should go to a club like Leicester, which is competitive but tiring of its manager, to bring it into the top 6 conversation. Then move up from there.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Porch’s problem is his ego. He thinks he is an elite manager but he isn’t. He is a good manager who sometimes looks like he might push into the tier below the few elites but never quite makes it. However he has bought into his own hype so continues to wait for jobs that are beyond him. Unless he bites the bullet to rebuild his media hype by going to a decent team or doing a Martinez and going into international management at strong footballing nations he won’t ever be noticed again.