Is Pogba as good as gone?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
According to Ornstein that Pogba is excited with the idea of signing Sancho. I can see us having negotiation about his contract after we manage to complete the deal with Sancho and he's going to sign it.

Web of Bissaka

Anyone will get excited with Sancho.

That's the trick -- bring more quality players in, proven or promising, and Pogba will be convinced staying. He has ambition to win trophies. But he's not the leading man, he's a great supporter. He needs someone else to take the mantle. He returned home because he's convinced the club is finally serious challenging trophies back. He made many comments in interviews about this -- winning trophies. Zlatan joined first, then Pogba. Agent Pog also convinced Lukaku didn't he, as does persuaded Griezzman and Dybala among others. Anyway, he can't do it by himself because he can't.

Based Adnan

Lots of noise around Pogba renewing

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What is this mysterious 'ankle injury' that's (conveniently) ruled him out until the January transfer window? There's been very little information released regarding it - and usually long term ankle injuries need some form of surgery.

Personally I don't think it exists and it's purely a stalling tactic so he can leave. The whole situation shares a lot of similarities with the Lukaku exit. It's clear he doesn't want to be here, his agent was also mouthing off over the summer and I think we begged him to stay.

I think he's a goner come January.
:lol: :lol::lol:

Irrational.

I was wrong, I admit it. I think many others on here we're feeling the same way, and were fed up of the constant drama.

I'm glad as anyone he's staying and couldn't be happier that he's got his head down and working hard and concentrating on his football. Mino also appears to have a muzzle on him.

But we can't deny that he/ his agent were actively looking for a way out last year. I think the arrival of Bruno, our subsequent massive upturn in form and the lockdown may have changed his plans. Situations change, and hindsight is 2020.

Lemansky

I was wrong, I admit it. I think many others on here we're feeling the same way, and were fed up of the constant drama.

I'm glad as anyone he's staying and couldn't be happier that he's got his head down and working hard and concentrating on his football. Mino also appears to have a muzzle on him.

But we can't deny that he/ his agent were actively looking for a way out last year. I think the arrival of Bruno, our subsequent massive upturn in form and the lockdown may have changed his plans. Situations change, and hindsight is 2020.
In this situation it’s so childish scoring points. There are obviously big reasons why he is now looking to stay.

No Bruno, team playing bad with no development and huge interest from Real and it would be the same old story now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

His plan was to win trophies. If the club isn’t showing sign of promising that they can win trophies then it’s good reason for him to leave, similar to how RVP left Arsenal. However, to even think that he’s faking the injury is just non-sense. If Pogba was never a professional enough to respect his contract, he would have been sold last summer.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think United fans in and out the ground need to start appreciating Pogba more instead of criticism all the time, he is one of the best midfielders that we've had at the club especially in the PL era, hoping with the squad we have now and with the buys in the summer we really start to see some good football now.

Reactions: Fortitude

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I always found the whole debate about the injury hilarious, it made no sense at all to me.

It is good that the whole club seems happier now and heading in the right direction finally. Hopefully Riola keeps quiet now, Pogba signs a deal and we bring in Sancho.

I couldn’t blame him for looking for a way out. He’s never been taken in by the fans and the media have made him the scapegoat, which in turn has affected the opinion of the fans and after getting abused like he did on the last day of the season, who could blame him?

jackal&hyde

In this situation it’s so childish scoring points. There are obviously big reasons why he is now looking to stay.

No Bruno, team playing bad with no development and huge interest from Real and it would be the same old story now.
It was childish to believe he was faking injuries and having some malefic plan to force a move, to call him any name under the sun, question his quality as a footballer, calling him toxic and a bad influence and many others. He wanted his team to compete, like his "fanboys" were saying from the beginning.

Lemansky

It was childish to believe he was faking injuries and having some malefic plan to force a move, to call him any name under the sun, question his quality as a footballer, calling him toxic and a bad influence and many others. He wanted his team to compete, like his "fanboys" were saying from the beginning.
I am simply talking about him staying or leaving. Not all of the above. He don’t help himself with having Mino as his agent, and paying him top notch money to look after him. When Mino opens his mouth it’s on Paul’s behalf - people seem to struggle to comprehend that.

He does get a lot of unfair stick though as a player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Fair play for admitting you were wrong, not many people do that online. What I would say though is this is a perfect example of why people need to be careful when following these damaging narratives. Pogba has always been a model professional as stated by his former managers (except Mourinho) and his teammates. It’s also clear that Pogba loves playing football, so it was highly unlikely that he was faking injury. It’s up to you as an individual to think critically about a situation no matter what the current media narrative is and with Pogba I’ve made up my mind ages ago, that he’s a good lad that is clearly unfairly scapegoated.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I expect this will go very smoothly with his amenable agent. Definitely won't be a long drawn out saga in the media.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The state of some of the posts of this thread. We really do have some deranged fellows on the caf

That's some bs, I'm sorry but the guy was clearly injured and how you used that to create a fiction is still crazy to me. You actually believed that his injury was fake.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This thread probably saddened me more than any other thread ever on the Caf. It was basically a safe meeting space for an all out attack on literally every single aspect of his being - his football, his attitude, what drives him, what his motivations are, his professionalism and more - and because it was an echo chamber - nobody was holding anyone to any sort of standard. No requirement of any real basis of attack, you could turn up with a new theory today, and declare that this is what you have against Pogba - and then off you go, and receive almost unanimous support. The OP was inciting, but was met with widespread sympathy, to a point where I can’t see anyway back for many of the contributors in terms of liking the player. You can’t sustain that sort of 360 attack and then all is well again.

Really does make grim reading. I probably had the most posts in the thread and that was trying to fight on behalf of the player against almost everyone. Even after his comments in Japan last summer, it wasn’t this bad on here. Perhaps because he was still on the pitch. Still the best player in pre-season etc. As soon as he wasn’t able to defend himself (due to injury), dogs were off the leash, and now that he is able to speak for himself on the pitch again, they have disappeared again. Quite cowardly to me.

Even after his comments last summer, I was maintaining on here that I expected him to sign a new deal. It was clear to me that he clearly has a great deal of affection for the club, and if we looked like we were heading in the right direction, he’d be happy to stay. It was also clear that despite his comments last summer, he was hardly being kept kicking and screaming. He didn’t kick up a fuss in the window. To me, it is that many had never taken to him, so was a convenient little episode to bring out a lot of what lay beneath, and now that it is out, and it looks like the situation was not as irreparable as they though, it is a little awkward for many because what has been said has been said.

Hopefully we can draw a line under all this for good. The guy is still our player. If he leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays, but it won’t be down to him hating the club, being money grabbing and having an attitude problem like all the character assassinations suggested. I’ve never read anything like it about someone who, by all appearances, is actually one of football’s genuine good guys, especially at his very small level of superstar status. That’s the huge irony. Pogba isn’t only not this arsehole, he seems the total opposite!

Stacks

This thread probably saddened me more than any other thread ever on the Caf. It was basically a safe meeting space for an all out attack on literally every single aspect of his being - his football, his attitude, what drives him, what his motivations are, his professionalism and more - and because it was an echo chamber - nobody was holding anyone to any sort of standard. No requirement of any real basis of attack, you could turn up with a new theory today, and declare that this is what you have against Pogba - and then off you go, and receive almost unanimous support. The OP was inciting, but was met with widespread sympathy, to a point where I can’t see anyway back for many of the contributors in terms of liking the player. You can’t sustain that sort of 360 attack and then all is well again.

Really does make grim reading. I probably had the most posts in the thread and that was trying to fight on behalf of the player against almost everyone. Even after his comments in Japan last summer, it wasn’t this bad on here. Perhaps because he was still on the pitch. Still the best player in pre-season etc. As soon as he wasn’t able to defend himself (due to injury), dogs were off the leash, and now that he is able to speak for himself on the pitch again, they have disappeared again. Quite cowardly to me.

Even after his comments last summer, I was maintaining on here that I expected him to sign a new deal. It was clear to me that he clearly has a great deal of affection for the club, and if we looked like we were heading in the right direction, he’d be happy to stay. It was also clear that despite his comments last summer, he was hardly being kept kicking and screaming. He didn’t kick up a fuss in the window. To me, it is that many had never taken to him, so was a convenient little episode to bring out a lot of what lay beneath, and now that it is out, and it looks like the situation was not as irreparable as they though, it is a little awkward for many because what has been said has been said.

Hopefully we can draw a line under all this for good. The guy is still our player. If he leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays, but it won’t be down to him hating the club, being money grabbing and having an attitude problem like all the character assassinations suggested. I’ve never read anything like it about someone who, by all appearances, is actually one of football’s genuine good guys, especially at his very small level of superstar status. That’s the huge irony. Pogba isn’t only not this arsehole, he seems the total opposite!
The bolded bit is key. Even when Mino was running his gums, me and my housemate were saying he is only saying some of the things that fans on here have also said in that United need to be ambitious and look like they can challenge for Paul to stay and basically get in other quality players to support Paul so he doesn't have to do it all by himself. I dared not say this on the Caf at the time because it was supposedly disrespecting the club.

Paul joined United twice! As Mino suggested, ideally he would like to stay at United and win trophies, which appears true. People suggested he would go on strike in pre season. Many people were angry because of his silence.

Rolaholic

Quality post.

There were a few that approached the situation rationally but we were quite a small minority as the thread devolved into a hate circle jerk where people would just pile on and project any theory they had without evidence and run with it as a stick to beat him with.

The incredibly personal nature to some of the venom aimed at him was what surprised me as if some of the caf were much more privy to his personality and character than his own teammates and contemporaries. It was straight up character assassination and it was ugly to see.

Especially when the charge of disrespecring the club was laid after he said things that a majority of the cafe had been saying about the squad for a while in terms of playing style.

I personally wouldn't have wanted anything more to do with the club after those disgraceful scenes during the last match of the season last year, where I'm getting singled out for public lashing and abuse by my own 'fans' at home after having the most productive season of my career and consistently being expected to carry a mediocre squad only to be scapegoated during any instance of adversity and being accused of faking injury when I'm hurt and need surgery.

Glad we seem to have turned a corner and our outlook as a team looks positive again but I suspect there's stull a portion of fans who are biding their time until the team hits a lull in form to come back in force with the knives out.

Last edited:

Nikelesh Reddy

If we qualify for the CL,I think he’s going to stay.The top clubs in Europe don’t really want to break the bank for 1 player in this window,plus Pogba must be feeling reinvigorated by playing with all these quality attacking players.I can see him signinf a new deal soon...That would obviously be a huge fillip to the club...

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
If I paid someone millions to do a job for me, I'd expect, within reason, that someone to commit all of their energy on doing that job. If in doubt after years of evidence for or against, I'd get rid. If he stay, I hope he does well. If not, I won't miss him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If I paid someone millions to do a job for me, I'd expect, within reason, that someone to commit all of their energy on doing that job. If in doubt after years of evidence for or against, I'd get rid. If he stay, I hope he does well. If not, I won't miss him
:boring:

The Red Thinker

Let me fess up.

I wanted him gone like yesterday. I didn't want Raoila shit talking the club. I didn't want him posting dancing videos on instagram. None of it. All of that because I saw how much United was struggling without even an ending to the madness in sight.

Then Bruno came and balance was restored at United. In a Bruno styled United, Pogba is a dream to have. His skills are unparalleled (we've always known that). But what I now see from him is that he is playing with such discipline knowing that he has exceptional players up top to pass to. He no longer has to do everything. He just needs to orchestrate. That version of Pogba is priceless. There is not a player in the world that possesses his skillset - Pace, power, strength, finesse, technique, passing range, shooting range, dribbling, height... cmon! There is noone in the world who has that.

In this system, Pogba can flourish. We must tie him down in his prime years to us. Especially when the resurgence has only just begun.

Chairman Steve

If Howard Nurse is saying we’re getting closer to Pogba extending, then by past logic he agreed to stay like two months ago! :drool: #cocksout #pogstension #mymidfielder #respect

I must admit that I thought he’d be a goner by now and primarily wanted him gone because of his disruptive agent who has been undermining us for well over a year, as well as having to work with mediocrity like Lingard and Pereira.

Not to mention the overtures of Real may not be as grand anymore due to them needing a massive rebuild with their ageing team and already spending big money on guys who haven’t delivered, while Utd look like they’re finally on the up again and attracting talent like Sancho and purchasing the likes of Bruno, with a relatively young team who are hungry for success. As we can see from most cases in football, it’s a cyclical process of success and then the dip typically, with the exception to the rule being having a Sir Alex Ferguson as your manager.

Last edited:

PeteManic

He will stay at least short-term (2-3 years). He'll not get more money anywhere else. And despite all the ego talk about Pogba, in Juventus and France he's proven that he plays better in a 3 in which he is not the focal point.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Do agree he was looking for a move but with Bruno signing and Sancho on the horizon along with this pandemic he may stay for now.

Wouldn't be surprised if Real comes back again next year and Raiola start making noises. Feck it - I will enjoy one more year of Paul then.

Clermontois

Supports
France
I think United fans in and out the ground need to start appreciating Pogba more instead of criticism all the time, he is one of the best midfielders that we've had at the club especially in the PL era, hoping with the squad we have now and with the buys in the summer we really start to see some good football now.
Your words should be put up in lights.

Who are you talking about that has not been committing all of their energy to their job?

Let me fess up.

I wanted him gone like yesterday. I didn't want Raoila shit talking the club. I didn't want him posting dancing videos on instagram. None of it. All of that because I saw how much United was struggling without even an ending to the madness in sight.

Then Bruno came and balance was restored at United. In a Bruno styled United, Pogba is a dream to have. His skills are unparalleled (we've always known that). But what I now see from him is that he is playing with such discipline knowing that he has exceptional players up top to pass to. He no longer has to do everything. He just needs to orchestrate. That version of Pogba is priceless. There is not a player in the world that possesses his skillset - Pace, power, strength, finesse, technique, passing range, shooting range, dribbling, height... cmon! There is noone in the world who has that.

In this system, Pogba can flourish. We must tie him down in his prime years to us. Especially when the resurgence has only just begun.
He can post whatever he likes on instagram especially since he does not post anything much. Other players post far more than him on social media but somehow theirs is never mentioned.

Can't wait for this overrating of Fernandes to dissipate, the transformation of the club started from the entry of Ole, though it came in fits and starts. The club as a whole are more fit than under the previous managers and that has allowed the players to have more confidence in their play. Footballers who aren't fit are overun at the highest level, regardless of talent and this team for years has been simply overrun. Thankfully that has been sorted and all the players now form a better team who trust each other, had Fernandes come in under Mourinho you think there would be any difference? Not a chance.

He will stay at least short-term (2-3 years). He'll not get more money anywhere else. And despite all the ego talk about Pogba, in Juventus and France he's proven that he plays better in a 3 in which he is not the focal point.
He will get top money wherever he goes, there is no other midfielder like him anywhere in world football, all that and he is still improving.

Common misconception which came from lazy punditry and now fans are giving it wings, if Paul is not the reference point for France or wasn't for Juventus, please do tell us who was...

Last edited:

remo

This.

Just to add I think Pogba will stay for multiple reasons.
1. He is enjoying football right now.
2. I don't think he can make more money anywhere.
3. He is settled in Manchester
4. MU team potential is growing every day.
5. Pogba doesn't have to carry team by himself allowing him to relax and simply play.
6. I might be wrong but I think Mino will make more money during transfer (buy/sell) than free signing. So if Pogba signs now and let's say 2 or 3 years later decides to move to Real - everybody will profit.

The Red Thinker

He can post whatever he likes on instagram especially since he does not post anything much. Other players post far more than him on social media but somehow theirs is never mentioned.
Well posting instagram videos of yourself dancing and having fun when the team was shambolic had me boiling. But, as I can see now, he was never the Fernandes type to take on responsibility for the whole team. Some players aren't built like that. Fernandes can instantly raise a team's morale. Pogba is the perfect second man. Just like in Juventus or France. He was never the real main man. He was but a crucial cog. The best cog in the world. Cogba?

Blood Mage

He wanted to leave because we weren't showing any ambition which is fair enough, Rooney once felt the same. Now that we've brought in Fernandes and Sancho is likely to follow things have changed, and I'm glad as I think we're about to see the best of him in the next couple of years.

romufc

This.

Just to add I think Pogba will stay for multiple reasons.
1. He is enjoying football right now.
2. I don't think he can make more money anywhere.
3. He is settled in Manchester
4. MU team potential is growing every day.
5. Pogba doesn't have to carry team by himself allowing him to relax and simply play.
6. I might be wrong but I think Mino will make more money during transfer (buy/sell) than free signing. So if Pogba signs now and let's say 2 or 3 years later decides to move to Real - everybody will profit.
I would also like to point out that he joined Manutd for a rebuild which is come 3 years later so he could potentially be in a team that is almost there.

If he goes to Madrid, he might be walking into another team due for a rebuild? It will be interesting to see how Real replace some of the players that have carried them in the last few years.

Ramos, Kroos, Modric, Benzema.

Does he want to go there, when maybe Manutd project looks better at the moment?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm not convinced he wants to stay. I suspect he just wants to put out good PR that he's not a disruptive 'virus' squad member, because he knows no-one will want him. If he gets a better offer he will be off.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm not convinced he wants to stay. I suspect he just wants to put out good PR that he's not a disruptive 'virus' squad member, because he knows no-one will want him. If he gets a better offer he will be off.
What’s this speculation based on?

‘he wants to put out good PR that he’s not a disruptive virus‘, so do you think he actually is one?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think we need to take these reports at face value, the same way we did when the murmurs of him wanting to leave first arrived. If he does in fact want to stay it's such good news it would be a shame not to embrace it, especially considering his form.

It's this endless discussion, is he happy because he is playing well or is he playing well because he is happy. If the first one is true and he hits a bad patch of form, then his unhappiness can be to the detriment of the team spirit considering his team influence. It's also a concern that he might want to leave again once his mood changes. However, If it's the latter, then let's fecking hope Ole can keep him happy because Pogba is indeed playing very very well at the moment, and he should sign a new contract to ensure everyones happiness continues.

remo

Well, there is possibility that he puts PR show - nobody knows for sure. We will know within 6-12 months.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I still think he's gone. Not something I'd criticise him for as it's his career but just doesn't strike me as someone who wants to stay at one club for too long.

Only things that might change it is if he's maybe tempted to stay now it seems like the club is actually building something, and maybe the market pricing clubs he'd fancy out of buying him.

If it's the later though I'd expect more sillyness particularly from his agent.