Is Rafael now the best Right Back in the country?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I keep having this debate with my mates. They argue that there are other better right backs in the premier league, but I can't think of one to be honest.

Who would be up there? Sagna? Johnson? Ivanovic?

RB is one of the positions I think we can safely say is tied down for the next ten years. What a prospect.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Actually, I think you'll find he's worth 18 million. According to my Scouse mate Real Madrid want him as well. So he HAS to be in the first post.

towcester_red

Ivanovic is a centre half.

Sagna is world class, if you ask people in north london. Suspect defensively in my opinion.

Johnson isnt a full back.

There is a lack of top right backs around at the moment.

Kelly at Liverpool looks like a good prospect though.

Godfather

He is a good prospect. The talent is there.
Defensively he has to improve though, his positioning is shit at times and his tackling too hasty.

Will be a great RB in a few years time if he keeps developing

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ivanovic is a centre half.

Sagna is world class, if you ask people in north london. Suspect defensively in my opinion.

Johnson isnt a full back.

There is a lack of top right backs around at the moment.

Kelly at Liverpool looks like a good prospect though.
Don't get this Kelly as a prospect nonsense. I've seen him be destroyed every time he plays. Giggs dicked him the other week, and Liverpool fans were singing his praises.

He's only about 2 months younger than Rafael. He's still got time on his side, and he's getting a proper run so good luck to him, but he'll never be good enough for a top club IMO.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He is a good prospect. The talent is there.
Defensively he has to improve though, his positioning is shit at times and his tackling too hasty.

Will be a great RB in a few years time if he keeps developing
People keep saying this, but realistically, is he not a great RB now? Is he not the best in the league as of today?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Kelly's a good player but in my opinion Rafael has the potential to be in another league entirely and I don't mean moving to La Liga. He's a world class talent in my opinion, only thing holding him back in the future is injuries.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
If he keeps this up, Maicon's place in the Brazil first XI will be under threat - it's as simple as that. He's definitely the most on-form right back in the Premiership.

Diablodave

To be fair to Rafael and Kelly, both are still learning. Kelly got schooled by a Giggs drawing on a performance you would have seen him produce in his 20s. Kelly will learn from that and it should make him a better player. Look how much Rafael has improved since the Red card in the champions league last year?! Youngsters learn from their mistakes at big clubs.

towcester_red

Don't get this Kelly as a prospect nonsense. I've seen him be destroyed every time he plays. Giggs dicked him the other week, and Liverpool fans were singing his praises.

He's only about 2 months younger than Rafael. He's still got time on his side, and he's getting a proper run so good luck to him, but he'll never be good enough for a top club IMO.
Giggs is still one of the greatest players to play in the premier league, against a relatively inexpierienced right back you would still expect him to impose himself.

Kelly has done pretty well since getting a decent run in the side, I think you are wrong to right him off.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Giggs is still one of the greatest players to play in the premier league, against a relatively inexpierienced right back you would still expect him to impose himself.

Kelly has done pretty well since getting a decent run in the side, I think you are wrong to right him off.
I don't think so. I watched him v Wigan earlier in the year as well, and was under a torrid time, and against Wolves crosses were coming on from his side all day long.

Never more than a short term solution IMO.

towcester_red

I don't think so. I watched him v Wigan earlier in the year as well, and was under a torrid time, and against Wolves crosses were coming on from his side all day long.

Never more than a short term solution IMO.
We will see, its easy to write off a young player from one of your biggest rivals.

He is still learning the game, give him a chance. Under this run of games he has got better and better for them.

He did ok on Saturday, Jarvis has been very good this season for Wolves too.

Lets be honest, if he wasnt good enough they would just play Johnson and Aurelio as full backs.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We will see, its easy to write off a young player from one of your biggest rivals.

He is still learning the game, give him a chance. Under this run of games he has got better and better for them.

He did ok on Saturday, Jarvis has been very good this season for Wolves too.

Lets be honest, if he wasnt good enough they would just play Johnson and Aurelio as full backs.
If Aurellio was ever ever fit.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm with twiggy here, Kelly is another Warnock in the making.
Yeah pretty much.

He's a decent premiership player, but not good enough in the long run.
ATM anyway, there's a chance he could rapidly improve, he's young enough and has the potential to, I just don't think he's shown enough to guess he will do though.

towcester_red

Yeah pretty much.

He's a decent premiership player, but not good enough in the long run.
ATM anyway, there's a chance he could rapidly improve, he's young enough and has the potential to, I just don't think he's shown enough to guess he will do though.
Dont get me wrong, he is nowhere near Rafaels level at the moment. But theres enough to suggest he has a chance of doing alrite.

I'm always right

Dont get me wrong, he is nowhere near Rafaels level at the moment. But theres enough to suggest he has a chance of doing alrite.
Yep.

Warnock has also done alright. A steady defender at a good good club, he even makes a few England squads.

But Rafael looks like he can be the best in the World in his position, I can't see anything like that with Kelly.

towcester_red

Yep.

Warnock has also done alright. A steady defender at a good good club, he even makes a few England squads.

But Rafael looks like he can be the best in the World in his position, I can't see anything like that with Kelly.
Well it would actually appear that Warnock is surplus to requirements at Villa, I guess thats a conversation for another day though.

finneh

Best in the Premier League and probably top 5 in the world already, has the potential to comfortably be the best in the world.

Lance Uppercut

Ok Lance.

Give us say, erm 6 better in World football.

and half that for the Prem.....
What's the point? Who I rate may not be who you rate, and I have no intention of getting into a pissing session about it.

What I would say is, we might want to wait until he has had ONE full season under his belt as our first choice right back, before we proclaim him as one of the best five right backs in the world.

Maybe that's just me, though.

johnmufc

His improvement this season has been frightening. He is already the best fullback at the club.

I'm always right

What's the point? Who I rate may not be who you rate, and I have no intention of getting into a pissing session about it.

What I would say is, we might want to wait until he has had ONE full season under his belt as our first choice right back, before we proclaim him as one of the best five right backs in the world.

Maybe that's just me, though.
Why should we wait, he's been this good for more than a season now. I know I can't think of many better. He's probably in the top 10 rb's in the World and well, the selection of right backs in the Prem is preeeeety fecking tosh.

Lance Uppercut

Why should we wait, he's been this good for more than a season now. I know I can't think of many better. He's probably in the top 10 rb's in the World and well, the selection of right backs in the Prem is preeeeety fecking tosh.
I remember Micah Richards was being touted as the next big thing, linked with moves to all and sundry for massive fees.

How did that go again?

Cina

Right back is probably the weakest position in world football in terms of quality players though. There's far more top class left backs, which I just don't get seeing as there's generally a lot more right footed people around.

So yeah, he's up there, but it's not THAT big a compliment, he's still nowhere near world class yet.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I remember Micah Richards was being touted as the next big thing, linked with moves to all and sundry for massive fees.

How did that go again?
Yeah but the difference is Micah is an idiot and Rafael is not Micah. Micah is strong, quick but not an intelligent player. Rafaels improved and 9/10 won't let you down. The fact Micahs English should have given people pause for though in addition :) We do tend to overrate our own. However would you swap Micah for Rafael?

I'm always right

How did that go again?
He aint doing that bad Micah, still gets plenty of games even with all the cash they have. Anyway, that's a different matter.

Richards suffered from the media over-hype that happens with all things English, it's a crap comparison.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
No, but he can be if he continues performing and developing consistently over time.

Johnson, Sagna and Ivanovic are all ahead.

Lance Uppercut

He aint doing that bad Micah, still gets plenty of games even with all the cash they have. Anyway, that's a different matter.

Richards suffered from the media over-hype that happens with all things English, it's a crap comparison.
And our fans are currently over hyping Rafael to the same extent. Top five in the world? Really?

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Ok Lance.

Give us say, erm 6 better in World football.

and half that for the Prem.....
Alves, Maicon, Lahm, Ramos, Sagna, Bosingwa.

I suppose my third choice in the Premier League is more difficult, as mentioned there aren't a lot of brilliant one's around. At a push, someone like Phil Neville has been delivering consistenly enough to have a shout, but clearly I wouldn't swap Phil for Rafael!

Same with the six I've named, they've proved over time what they can do, whereas Rafael is still a relative newbie.

I can imagine Ajax fans rate Van der Viel as one of the best right-backs in the World as well, because his youth and promise make him a hot prospect.

I am a huge fan of Rafael and believe he's improved a lot so far this season, but he is still prone to mistakes and hasgot a way to go to displace Maicon for Brazil. Very pleased we have him and believe he's got our RB spot nailed on for some time.

I'm always right

Alves, Maicon, Lahm, Ramos, Sagna, Bosingwa.
The fact that Bosingwa is mentioned and he can't get into Chelsea's team shows how difficult it is to find many better.

I can imagine Ajax fans rate Van der Viel as one of the best right-backs in the World as well, because his youth and promise make him a hot prospect.
Agreed.