Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Extremely overrated but worse than the likes of Boateng? Come on now.

spaceboyRSA

You don’t get to be an obvious starting cb, and captain, at one of the biggest club in the world and win as many trophies by being overrated. Time catches up with a of us, and you can’t generalize the last few years as equating to his prime.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
When people think of Boateng's career do they only think of Messi making him fall.
Yeah it's really weird people seem to be picking his name out and laughing when Laporte is on the same fecking list.

Boateng was the best CB in the world for a season so and a monster at his best. That didn't last too long, but he was undoubtedly a very, very good defender for a while.

Jordan_mufc

Bonkers to put VVD and Laporte in the same sentence as Ramos, let alone Baresi etc. Fantastic player, best CB of his generation. 4 champions leagues, a world cup and 2 European Championships. Top top player.

Canagel

I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Baresi
Laporte, Rio, Maldini, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. There were many good defenders in the 90s and 2000s but I'd rather pick them over Ramos who is considered as one of best CB in history based on his honors. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card, it's awful.

Real Madrid has conceded many goals with him but he was lucky that Real Madrid outscored opponents and Ronaldo is scoring a lot and winning trophies, it overshadows his defensive instability.

He may be good on balls and scoring goals from corner/set pieces but was he really good at defending? Can you imagine If Liverpool picked up Ramos instead of VVD, would he improve Liverpool's defense the same way as VVD do?

He got into FIFA FIFPro World XI 9 time and UEFA team 8 times. That got to the point where I think he is officially the most overrated CB in history. In the next 30 years, people would be thinking he's best CB in history because of his honors and trophies.
:lol::lol: is this some kind of joke?

Last edited:

SharpshooterTom

That depends. If you go by his trophies and personal awards then yes, but I don't think I've seen anyone who rates him as an all-time great center back like Baresi or Nesta. He was never as good as Rio, Vidic or Terry defensively, but overall as a player he's probably around their level.
Oh plenty do, after Real won their third CL in a row many on here were calling him the GOAT CB, just have a look at the official Ramos thread.

Half of Reddit also thinks Ramos is the GOAT.

gibers

By far. He is a subpar defender prone to making errors almost every single game. There's another similar cb to him called David Luiz who people call a clown for his own comical errors.

Ramos scores goals and suddenly he is a world class DEFENDER. I mean, all you need to do is watch a game and see him make a joke of defending week in week out. Never seen a 'top' defender make so many errors before. Madrid have been wining because of their attacking and not because they were keeping clean sheets.

Let me guess, he is a WC defender because of his trophy cabinet :rolleyes:

Spain won the EUROS with Arbeloa as thier RB, let that sink in for a moment.

Defending wise, VVD has performed at a different level this last past 18 months than Ramos has done in his whole career. Imagine putting this clown in Pools defence, they would concede almost 3 goals a game from his errors.

He might be the 'greatest' because of his trophy cabinet because he scored goals but 'best', not a chance. Any other top club would have sold the clown for making the number of errors he does.

He's not even a top 10 centre back at the moment let alone of all time. Putting that clown's name next to even Rio is quite simply embarrassing, let alone Baresi, Nesta, Maldini and the rest.

Last edited:

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I think Rio Ferdinand was very overrated. A good CB and maybe for a very short time a top quality one. But, he relied on his pace too much to get him out of trouble and once that went he was a very average player. While he looked comfortable on the ball and could bring the ball out, his passing range was modest, doing little more than keep it simple. He also wasn't a threat in the opponants half.

Andersons Dietician

Think he’s just one of these players who is a better leader than he is player. He makes things happen but in terms of his defensive nouse then he’s pretty awful really.

Aloysius's Back 3

Laporte was probably the second best CB in the top 5 European Leagues this season.
Ramos has been the key player in CL finals and stuff.

I remember when Ramos was building his name up - he changed the defensive game from pure physical ability to things like pace whilst also having a good ability to be a part of the attack too.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think Rio Ferdinand was very overrated. A good CB and maybe for a very short time a top quality one. But, he relied on his pace too much to get him out of trouble and once that went he was a very average player. While he looked comfortable on the ball and could bring the ball out, his passing range was modest, doing little more than keep it simple. He also wasn't a threat in the opponants half.
You will be rightly criticized for this but, I agree with the bolded part.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ramos has been the key player in CL finals and stuff.

I remember when Ramos was building his name up - he changed the defensive game from pure physical ability to things like pace whilst also having a good ability to be a part of the attack too.
I am just saying that in a few years Laporte over Ramos is not going to seem so crazy if Laporte's career keeps going in this direction.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ignoring the OP's question for a moment (the answer is completely obvious), I've yet to see a convincing argument as to why Ramos is the better defender than Pique.

spaceboyRSA

In a time where we emphasise the importance of attackers who can defend... is it that different to rate defenders who can score?

He is of course a dickhead and thoroughly unlikeable. But it doesn’t change his legacy.

tony54

I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Baresi
Laporte, Rio, Maldini, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. There were many good defenders in the 90s and 2000s but I'd rather pick them over Ramos who is considered as one of best CB in history based on his honors. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card, it's awful. Edited: Putting Laporte on the list may be too much but I've always rated him so highly and think he is good defenders

Real Madrid has conceded many goals with him but he was lucky that Real Madrid outscored opponents and Ronaldo is scoring a lot and winning trophies, it overshadows his defensive instability.

He may be good on balls and scoring goals from corner/set pieces but was he really good at defending? Can you imagine If Liverpool picked up Ramos instead of VVD, would he improve Liverpool's defense the same way as VVD do?

He got into FIFA FIFPro World XI 9 time and UEFA team 8 times. That got to the point where I think he is officially the most overrated CB in history. In the next 30 years, people would be thinking he's best CB in history because of his honors and trophies.
You must be joking, his overall package and cups puts him easily at the top of the list of defenders. I wished we could have got him years ago, as his leadership skills would have sorted the likes of our primadonnas.
Yes, he was a dirty thug but you cant deny he was the powerhouse behind real madrid's success these last 10 years.

Lyricist

Crazy to think that that Messi moment in the UCL defined how people look at Boateng's career now, when only shortly before it (being dribbled past by Messi!!) happened, Boateng had put in a motm performance against Messi and Argentina in the WC final (clearly the bigger stage and more important game).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/28286068

Then you read something like "Boateng never showed his prolonged peak outside the Bundesliga."
Well he played pretty much all of his career IN the Bundesliga where he was regarded as the top defender for Bayern and WC winners Germany, with Mats Hummels. :lol: Then he also reached something like 3 or 4 CL semis in a row.

People laughing at "peak Boateng" are clueless about his previous level. His peak did only last a few seasons though, that is very much correct. Bayern also indeed want to get rid for a while now.

Renegade81

By far. He is a subpar defender prone to making errors almost every single game. There's another similar cb to him called David Luiz who people call a clown for his own comical errors.

Ramos scores goals and suddenly he is a world class DEFENDER. I mean, all you need to do is watch a game and see him make a joke of defending week in week out. Never seen a 'top' defender make so many errors before. Madrid have been wining because of their attacking and not because they were keeping clean sheets.

Let me guess, he is a WC defender because of his trophy cabinet :rolleyes:

Spain won the EUROS with Arbeloa as thier RB, let that sink in for a moment.

Defending wise, VVD has performed at a different level this last past 18 months than Ramos has done in his whole career. Imagine putting this clown in Pools defence, they would concede almost 3 goals a game from his errors.

He might be the 'greatest' because of his trophy cabinet because he scored goals but 'best', not a chance. Any other top club would have sold the clown for making the number of errors he does.

He's not even a top 10 centre back at the moment let alone of all time. Putting that clown's name next to even Rio is quite simply embarrassing, let alone Baresi, Nesta, Maldini and the rest.

So by your definition has Liverpool came runners up in the PL and finalists in the CL due to liverpool scoring or VVD cleans sheets? Im confused. Do they both not work together or are they seperate entities. :houllier:

It will take more than 18 months of good form and many honours before VVD can be talked about in the same bracket as Ramos im afraid. This whole thread reeks of salty Liverpool fan still crying over last years CL final :lol:

deafepl

So by your definition has Liverpool came runners up in the PL and finalists in the CL due to liverpool scoring or VVD cleans sheets? Im confused. Do they both not work together or are they seperate entities. :houllier:

It will take more than 18 months of good form and many honours before VVD can be talked about in the same bracket as Ramos im afraid. This whole thread reeks of salty Liverpool fan still crying over last years CL final :lol:
He pointed out the reason why Ramos is greatest CB because of a guy like you who rated him so highly based on honors and trophies. Can you see Ramos improve Liverpool's defense if he was picked ahead of VVD? He would get sent off, prone to mistakes and leaky defensively. VVD has been very good for years but everyone paid more attention to VVD when he joined Liverpool and realized he's damn good.

fps

Honestly, what an absurd thread. I wonder if it's a troll thread. Ramos has competed at the top end in one of THE teams in world football and won the biggest competitions. Even to PLAY for Real that long is extraordinary. But he's led the team. It's a total nonsense to compare some of these others with him, who are (currently, and possibly forevermore) footnotes or less.

adexkola

Supports
In a time where we emphasise the importance of attackers who can defend... is it that different to rate defenders who can score?

He is of course a dickhead and thoroughly unlikeable. But it doesn’t change his legacy.
No one rates a defensive striker who cannot score. Elite wingers and strikers do the attacking part very well. Ditto for elite CBs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The overrating of VVD has reached stratospheric levels this season.
VVD and Laporte with Baresi and Maldini, I wish I could show that to Blanc, Desailly and Thuram.:lol:

Renegade81

He pointed out the reason why Ramos is greatest CB because of a guy like you who rated him so highly based on honors and trophies. Can you see Ramos improve Liverpool's defense if he was picked ahead of VVD? He would get sent off, prone to mistakes and leaky defensively. VVD has been very good for years but everyone paid more attention to VVD when he joined Liverpool and realized he's damn good.
Cool story. I get it, Van Dijik is the greatest defender to ever grace the game, who needs honours when you can improve Liverpools defence? Am i right?

International/ domestic/ european trophies mean nothing when your prone to red cards and couldnt make Liverpools defense stop leaking. :houllier:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My favorite thread of the year so far. I spend nights trying to defend this statement to my friends who all laugh at me for it. I don't care that he's won 27 CL titles and a few world cups. Man's an overrated fraud.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah it's really weird people seem to be picking his name out and laughing when Laporte is on the same fecking list.

Boateng was the best CB in the world for a season so and a monster at his best. That didn't last too long, but he was undoubtedly a very, very good defender for a while.
He was a fantastic CB from about 2012 till Guardiola's last season. He's been broken ever since, but he was a key piece for the Germany side that won the WC and Bayern who reached 5 CL semi finals+ in a row.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, he was brilliant at his best.
He *is* brilliant at his best, all those unconvinced should just go rewatch the first leg against ajax

His problem is that he tends to switch off, particularly in games that are supposed to be "easy" on paper, and has an unfortunate tendency towards needless shithousery. All in all, as a defender he's not as consistent as the likes of Rio, Terry, Cannavaro, etc, but when he's keyed in he's as good as any of them

Baresi, Nesta, Stam, were on another level though

adexkola

Supports
My favorite thread of the year so far. I spend nights trying to defend this statement to my friends who all laugh at me for it. I don't care that he's won 27 CL titles and a few world cups. Man's an overrated fraud.
You need to stop discussing football with people who use trophies as a measure of someone's ability. On or off the Caf.

deafepl

Cool story. I get it, Van Dijik is the greatest defender to ever grace the game, who needs honours when you can improve Liverpools defence? Am i right?

International/ domestic/ european trophies mean nothing when your prone to red cards and couldnt make Liverpools defense stop leaking. :houllier:
As I'm aware that Ramos is good defenders but I think he is only the far most overrated defenders in history. He's like Dani Alves of CB who get into the world's best XI for years in position when there are a couple of defenders who is better than him at one point. In the next 20 years, people would be talking about him as if he's best CB in history based on his honors.

Ramos would be more highly rated in term of his defending if he wasn't committing a lot of fouls and didn't get red.

Just watch difference Rio and Ramos in term of defending. Rio hasn't committed foul in 40 games for almost year and kept a lot of clean sheets, he's always clean and making defending look so easy, I'd feel more confident with him leading the defense. I get the same vibes with VVD. Do I get the same vibes with Ramos? No, he looks like he has mistakes in every game, doing reckless challenge/foul due to his poor positioning and poor reading of the games.